New shaft for US Kids Golf Tour Series 3-wood

peter50peter50 FranceMembers Posts: 5 ✭✭

My 13-yr old son (about 5'1 tall) broke the shaft of his 3 Wood of the Tour Series 63.
US Kids Golf does not seem to sell any replacement shafts, and I do not find any information about the specs of the shaft. I sent a request to customer support, but no answer yet.
So I probably have to buy a "standard" replacement shaft.
Does anybody have any advice on the specs I should choose?
Lady or senior flex? Probably shaft has to be cut more if senior, so will this not increase flex too much? What about weight?
And any suggestions about brand (I obviously do not want to spend too much; a new club costs $70)
Thanks !

Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Taylormade Steel 200 3w & 5w
Titleist 915 3h
Taylormade Rescue Mid 5h
Mizuno Comp-EZ 3-PW
Mizuno MP T11 52° & 60°
Cleveland TA900 56°
Nike Method 001

Comments

• Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members Posts: 676 ✭✭
    edited Apr 10, 2019 3:12am #2

My son is 9, but ranks 50th percentile for 13 year old; he's 61" He tested a bunch of shafts and came away with a Tensei in Reg.
    Now, I know that sounds like a bit much, but remember, you're cutting the strongest part of the shaft, the butt. He had a Lady flex Tensei in his 7 wood, but got much better results when we move to a reg. for that too.

Edit - driver is 180-190
    Edit 2 - play around with lead tape. I think the lightweight ideology is a bit flawed...

Nike Vapor Pro Aldilla RIP NL
    Nike VR Covert Tour 2.0 3W Aldilla RIP
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Nike VR 54/58 S300
    Nike B1-01 Black pearl shaft, Cork Tree Pistol
    TP5X
  • peter50peter50 FranceMembers Posts: 5 ✭✭

@Hack Daddy said:
    He tested a bunch of shafts and came away with a Tensei in Reg.
    Now, I know that sounds like a bit much, but remember, you're cutting the strongest part of the shaft, the butt. He had a Lady flex Tensei in his 7 wood, but got much better results when we move to a reg. for that too.

Thanks for your reply. What heads did you get for your son?
    My son is quite happy with his current US Kids Golf clubs, but of course these will be his last ones, before moving on to Lady.
    Anyway, still trying to find a solution for his broken 3 wood. Someone else suggested to just throw it away, and either buy a new one, or buy a lady 5 wood and cut down the shaft.
    But does anyone know whether the US Kids Golf club can be repaired. Is the tip size standard, so can you put a new after-market shaft in the head ?

Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
    Titleist 915 3h
    Taylormade Rescue Mid 5h
    Mizuno Comp-EZ 3-PW
    Mizuno MP T11 52° & 60°
    Cleveland TA900 56°
    Nike Method 001

The heads are the weakest part of US kids golf clubs. There are many threads and replies about this topic. If your son is a decent ball striker, he will surely pick up massive yardage by going to an adult, brand name club.
    My son can miss hit his Nike driver and still get his buddy by 10 yards, when his buddy hits dead center. Good strike for good strike, it's about a 20-25 yard difference.

Nike VR 54/58 S300
    TP5X

Thanks for the tip. These seem to be from the Japanese website, so not sure I can get these in Europe.
    I have also noticed the Aldila Aldalite ( http://www.aldila.com/products/aldalite-woods ) shaft: not overly expensive (30-40$), exists in Senior and Lady, and is from a good brand. Not sure I would trust something really cheap, like a 11$ Acer Velocity shaft, but maybe I am just being snobbish here ("distrust anything that is too cheap").
    Still wondering about the flex.
    @Hack Daddy recommended a regular, as the butt end will be cut down. Anybody with the same opinion ?

Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
    Titleist 915 3h
    Taylormade Rescue Mid 5h
    Mizuno Comp-EZ 3-PW
    Mizuno MP T11 52° & 60°
    Cleveland TA900 56°
    Nike Method 001

Do you know what length his finished shaft will be? My sons old driver shaft may work for your sons 3w...

Nike VR 54/58 S300
    TP5X
  • indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Members Posts: 409 ✭✭

Ladies flex or go to the Flynn golf website and order a driver shaft to your sons specs. At his age he is close to graduating to a mens set! Atleast a (short) mens set or senior.

@indianalawnguy said:
    Ladies flex or go to the Flynn golf website and order a driver shaft to your sons specs. At his age he is close to graduating to a mens set! Atleast a (short) mens set or senior.

Re: Flynn, I spoke with a rep, but shipping to France is not worth it. For the price of shaft + shipping + repair I can buy a new US Kids Golf 3 wood !
    And not sure whether you actually recommend ladies, men, or senior flex, as you mention the three in your comment ? Thanks !

Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
    Titleist 915 3h
    Taylormade Rescue Mid 5h
    Mizuno Comp-EZ 3-PW
    Mizuno MP T11 52° & 60°
    Cleveland TA900 56°
    Nike Method 001

• indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Members Posts: 409 ✭✭

@peter50 said:

@indianalawnguy said:

Re: Flynn, I spoke with a rep, but shipping to France is not worth it. For the price of shaft + shipping + repair I can buy a new US Kids Golf 3 wood !
    And not sure whether you actually recommend ladies, men, or senior flex, as you mention the three in your comment ? Thanks !

I apologize.... I didnt realize you were in france. Probably the best and easiest thing for you to do is go to the Flynn website and find the size chart. The chart shows recomended lengths and weights for junior golfers by thier size. You will have to measure your son and figure out what length he will need. As far as which shaft he should use??? Its a little more complicated. If he is strong for his age he may be able to handle a mens regular shaft? If he is average i would recomend ladies flex or senior flex. Its fine to experiment with it and have fun with it! Its also a lot less expensive than you would think as long as you are able to pull and install shafts and grips and have a few simple tools. A swingweight scale is needed but can be purchased for $50-$60 if u dont already have one!
    I have built both of my kids kids sets and have learned alot. There is no way i could afford to have to kids custom fit for clubs and by doing it myself have built 2 great sets for a fraction of the cost. Feel free to message me with any questions. Tim