Real world effect of Soft Stepping C-Taper 120 Stiff

I’ve got some P750 heads coming that I’ll be shafting with the C-Tapers that are currently in my P770’s

I really like the feel of them and the flight I get but the one thing I wish I had was an extra 1/2 inch in length through the set

Rather than pull all the grips and install a butt extension, my thought process is to get a C-taper 3 iron shaft and fit it to the 4 iron and so on through the set to gain the extra 1/2 inch

What would be the real world impact of doing this? Is it likely to effect the feel/flight much?

For reference I hit my 8 iron 155 and Driver SS is 103

Cobra F9 Yellow 9' HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
Cobra F9 Tour 4-5 HXRDUS Smoke 6.0
Taylormade P790 #3 C-Taper 120 Stiff
Taylormade P770 4-PW C-Taper 120 Stiff
Nike Engage 52' Square
Nike Engage 56' Square
Nike Engage 58' Dual Sole
Nike Engage 60' Toe Sweep
Taylormade Spider X Copper
Ping Anser Nickel
Ping DLX Cart / 4 Series White Tour Carry Bag

Comments

• grickygricky Members Posts: 42 ✭✭

probably increase launch a hair, soften it up a tiny bit. not a significant amount tho, ~3CPM.

• Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 8,467 ✭✭
    edited Apr 17, 2019 1:38am #3

@gricky said:
    probably increase launch a hair, soften it up a tiny bit. not a significant amount tho, ~3CPM.

...a little more.
    First he soft step 1x = minus 3-4 CPM
    Then he changes SW value going 4/8" longer who gains 3 SWP = minus 3 CPM
    Total 6-7 CPM softer

Launch will go up some, but that depend on the players swing and how he respond to the change as a whole, but C-taper is a "low launch profile" so the longer butt will more or less compensate for the longer tip when we look at the profile, while the softer over all flex "should by the book" move them to the middle of the flex he has and down to the next, so if he starts from S we are now in the area of just below FIRM or a tad more than half way down to R, so thats mostly where the difference comes from. (might not be a bad thing at all, look at it as "improved feel", who might trigger the player into more use of swing tech than power, if the player is of the kind that often gives it a bit to much)

To the OP
    If you do your own club making, pull 2 heads and move 1 shaft to try it off before you jump into doing them all.

• dokexdokex Members Posts: 258 ClubWRX

Gobbledegook; You will notice no difference.

• Rk5Rk5 Members Posts: 57 ✭✭

I did exactly what you described only with DG S300. Noticed no real difference in results although like Howard said I prefer the feel of them. Combination of extra length, soft step, increased SW does make them play a bit softer.
    Hard to quantify feel...for me I didn't have to work as hard to get the flight I wanted.
    My SS is similar to yours btw.

Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5 Tensei Blue CK 60 Stiff
    Callaway XR 3 wood Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 917F2 18* Diamana S+ 70 stiff
    Titleist 816 H2 21* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec HB 8S
    Mizuno MP-60 4-PW DG S300
    Vokey SM6 F Grind Steel Grey 52.08*
    Vokey SM6 M Grind Black 58.08*
    Scotty Cameron Red X5
  • SUITSSUITS Members Posts: 922 ✭✭

I softstepped my i20 years ago when i played c taper stiff and I never could get used to them afterwards. It the lower clubs were ok but mid and long never felt right