Beware golf ball swappers, aka THIEVES

cfgolfcfgolf Members Posts: 145 ✭✭
edited Jul 11, 2019 1:20am in Deal or No Deal? #1

Was at Walmart the other night, stopped by the golf ball display. Won't need any balls for quite some time, but saw golf balls and had to stop to look, of course. Saw some ProV1 practice balls in the white box. Took cover off to see what mix of balls was and found there were non ProV1 X-out Titleist balls inside instead! The boxes are both black and white and the UPC is on the cover. Looks like someone took the cover from the $11 dozen and put it on the $29 dozen and off they went. Pure theft.

Comments

• SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago, I bought a box of Callaway premium balls (can't remember which ones) from Roger Dunn here in North Hollywood and then found they were cheapo Warbirds inside. Luckily RD swapped the Warbirds for the real balls I should have had.

Ever since then, if I am at RD, I will check every sleeve to make sure that ball is what it is. Not some scammer swapped balls. Mind you, I never had this issue dealing with online stores like Carls.

Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)

Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Walmart is notorious for theft and scams from customers...you think the golf department will be any different? **** - they have 65" TV's go missing without a trace, golf balls for some miscreant to steal is child's play.

• TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭✭

@third-times-a-charm said:
    Walmart is notorious for theft and scams from customers...you think the golf department will be any different? **** - they have 65" TV's go missing without a trace, golf balls for some miscreant to steal is child's play.

LOL

• GraymulliganGraymulligan Members Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The two local Walmart stores in my area have their golf balls in a case now, with associate access needed to get anything out.

M5 w/Rogue
    Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
    RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
    PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
    MD3 50/54/58
    Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

• dmb3535dmb3535 Members Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

I have to stop in for something almost every week for work and I always notice that someone has put Wilson or top flite golf balls in tp5 boxes. This meaning that they are putting the new tp5 in top flite boxes and paying 15 bucks for new version of tp5. I noticed this happening when I wanted to look at new version of tp5 and found Wilson in them. Now I just peak in due to interest. Funny thing is they have security lock on the Bridgestone balls but not tp5. Even watch someone do sane thing at pgass, but was able to tell my friends that work there before they got to register with them

DRIVER --Rogue sub zero

FW- Rogue 3 wood
    M2--5hl

IRONS--- jpx 900 forged 5-pw

WEDGES--T7-49-53-56-59

PUTTER-- scotty cameron buttonback
  • NDGolfer13NDGolfer13 Members Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dmb3535 said:
    I have to stop in for something almost every week for work and I always notice that someone has put Wilson or top flite golf balls in tp5 boxes. This meaning that they are putting the new tp5 in top flite boxes and paying 15 bucks for new version of tp5. I noticed this happening when I wanted to look at new version of tp5 and found Wilson in them. Now I just peak in due to interest. Funny thing is they have security lock on the Bridgestone balls but not tp5. Even watch someone do sane thing at pgass, but was able to tell my friends that work there before they got to register with them

Sad to say this probably means there are golfers out there who play those premium balls and could probably afford them but decide to scam anyway. Then these same people don’t understand why it is prices go up.

M5 Kiyoshi Purple
    TM M4 16.5 VA Composites Drago 75
    Epon AF901 19*/22*
    Mizuno 919 Forged or MCFliHi 5, MP69 6-P
    Scratch 1018 53/58
    Xenon Flowneck

FOR NOW...........
    All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......
  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@cfgolf said:
    Was at Walmart the other night, stopped by the golf ball display. Won't need any balls for quite some time, but saw golf balls and had to stop to look, of course. Saw some ProV1 practice balls in the white box. Took cover off to see what mix of balls was and found there were non ProV1 X-out Titleist balls inside instead! The boxes are both black and white and the UPC is on the cover. Looks like someone took the cover from the $11 dozen and put it on the $29 dozen and off they went. Pure theft.

When I worked golf big box retail, this is insanely common. Same with gloves in the wrong packet, shoes in a different box; really anything that has a box that is designed to be opened and looked at more closely before purchasing this was done. Nothing to be really done about it apart from checking the box every time someone purchases something. However, it's really hard to prove that was the person who did it though. It's frustrating but all part of the shrink for golf brick and mortar.

Cobra F9 7.5 - Accra TZ5 55
    Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5 - Fubuki V 70
    Callaway Rogue SZ 18 - Diamana Thump 85
    Mizuno CLK 22* - Speeder 75HB
    New Level 1031 5-P - DG105 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - DG105 Black Onyx
    Bettinardi BB0 "Gotta Sting" Proto 1 of 1 
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Newport
  • zxcv4zxcv4 Members Posts: 69 ✭✭

@phatchrisrules said:

@cfgolf said:

When I worked golf big box retail, this is insanely common. Same with gloves in the wrong packet, shoes in a different box; really anything that has a box that is designed to be opened and looked at more closely before purchasing this was done. Nothing to be really done about it apart from checking the box every time someone purchases something. However, it's really hard to prove that was the person who did it though. It's frustrating but all part of the shrink for golf brick and mortar.

I really do not know why they don't shrink wrap them, or put tamperproof stickers on them.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bag: 2017 Cobra Cart Bag / Cameron Club Carry Bag / Tour Edge Stand Bag

Driver 1 - Cobra F7
    Driver 2 - Cobra LTD
    Hybrids - Cobra F6 3-4 / Cobra Fly Z 3-4
    Irons - 4-GW - Cobra Oversize Steel (2017) / 5- SW Cobra FP Graphite {broken 7 Iron so if you have one for a good price let me know :-) }
    Putter - TaylorMade Golf TP Red Collection Putter Ardmore Special Edition

I am a bit of a Cobra guy.
    [/font]
  • TzoidTzoid Members Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The OP states he " Took the cover off " to see the mix and is surprised someone switched the balls..... What are you doing removing the cover ? Hilarious.

Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X
  • cfgolfcfgolf Members Posts: 145 ✭✭
    edited Jul 14, 2019 9:42pm #11

@Tzoid said:
    The OP states he " Took the cover off " to see the mix and is surprised someone switched the balls..... What are you doing removing the cover ? Hilarious.

Your reading comprehension is not so great, huh? You even quoted why I did it. There was nothing sealing the box, the cover slides off easily. If you don't know, in the practice ball box there is typically a mix of Prov1 and Prov1x. Some might have 9 of one and 3 of another. If you have a preference of one model, the mix may determine if you buy it or not. Nothing wrong with doing that. Swapping covers and committing a crime is another story.

Am I surprised someone did it? Sadly not, those are the times we live in. Thanks for your great contribution to this thread though, ZOID! Hilarious.

Post edited by cfgolf on
  • jvparkjvpark Los Angeles Members Posts: 16 ✭✭

That’s why I play the chrome Soft Truvis (soccer balls). No one is swapping out those beastly balls. Lol

• Hanlpa01Hanlpa01 Akron, OHMembers Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 10, 2019 7:39pm #13

I read this and was at Walmart today so I figured I’d check it out. They now have a security mechanism on there almost like a bike lock so you can’t take the cover off anything over TopFlites. Must be a widespread problem.

• buckets on bucketsbuckets on buckets Members Posts: 62 ✭✭

@phatchrisrules said:

@cfgolf said:

Thanks for all the ideas ; ) but really, that's ridiculous

• jdc944jdc944 Members Posts: 65 ✭✭

There was a black security cord that had been left in a golf cart that I was in yesterday. Now it makes sense. Someone made a stop by Wal Mart on the way to the course. It is a shame that you have to put a security device on golf balls.

• gohattersgohatters Golf is so much more fun from the "wrong side of the ball&q Members Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

You’d be surprised how entitled some of the thieves are. Several years ago I stumbled on the r/shoplifting subreddit. It’s the worst. Not only do they talk about stealing freely. They think they’re entitled to the stuff. It’s sick

• jschwarbjschwarb Members Posts: 807 BST Banned

Several years ago a friend of mine gave me a box of Pro V1s that were all 5s, knowing they were my favorite. He just swapped out the 6s/7s/8s from other high-number boxes. I didn't have the heart to tell him that's a no-no, though it certainly is nowhere near on the level as swapping crap brand for premium.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file