Good Season/Bad Season

MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Scarily, there are only two events until the 2018-19 PGA Tour season is finished and I was just thinking myself who has done well and who maybe hasn't done as well.

Good Season
1. Adam Scott - no wins but seems to have pulled himself back up the rankings. Having slipped down into the 70's last year, he has gotten himself back into the Top 20.
2. Patrick Cantlay - always seems solid, never does much wrong, rarely misses a cut and into the World Top 10.
3. Matt Kuchar - the early season form has faded but he gave himself (and these boards with his antics) a real shot in the arm to jump back up the rankings having spent a couple of years slipping down.
4. BK - A major, a WGC and one other tour event. Guy is the best golfer in the world.

Bad Season
1. DJ - one win for a guy as good as him, has to be a disappointment.
2. Bubba Watson - three top 10's all season.
3. Alex Noren - Ryder Cup winner but lost his Tour card and slipped down the rankings.
4. Jordan Spieth - there have been signs of life every now and then and I am sure that he will be back but as many MC's as Top 10's (4) is not a great return for someone who has reached the heights that he has over the years.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

Comments

• OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Good Season:
    Shane Lowry started the year at OWGR #75 and he didn't have full PGA Tour status. Now at OWGR #20, 25th in FedEx Cup and The Open win as well as the Rolex Series win in the Middle East earlier in the season.
    Bernd Weisberger, OK not PGA Tour but considering he was out injured the comeback has been spectacular.

Bad Season:
    Jason Day, his OWGR hasn't suffered that much and he's had 6 top 10s but its a bad season.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • Cincy_KenCincy_Ken Members Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

Rory is the most interesting debate. 2 wins, including the Players, tons of top 10s etc. Despite being the best player week to week on tour doesn't factor in any of the majors. I still say good season but it's really easy to say bad season when you're a four time major winner and undoubtedly a top 3 player in the world you can't go a full season without even in contending in majors.

• KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

@MattyO1984 said:
    Scarily, there are only two events until the 2018-19 PGA Tour season is finished and I was just thinking myself who has done well and who maybe hasn't done as well.

Good Season
    1. Adam Scott - no wins but seems to have pulled himself back up the rankings. Having slipped down into the 70's last year, he has gotten himself back into the Top 20.
    2. Patrick Cantlay - always seems solid, never does much wrong, rarely misses a cut and into the World Top 10.
    3. Matt Kuchar - the early season form has faded but he gave himself (and these boards with his antics) a real shot in the arm to jump back up the rankings having spent a couple of years slipping down.
    4. BK - A major, a WGC and one other tour event. Guy is the best golfer in the world.

Bad Season
    1. DJ - one win for a guy as good as him, has to be a disappointment.
    2. Bubba Watson - three top 10's all season.
    3. Alex Noren - Ryder Cup winner but lost his Tour card and slipped down the rankings.
    4. Jordan Spieth - there have been signs of life every now and then and I am sure that he will be back but as many MC's as Top 10's (4) is not a great return for someone who has reached the heights that he has over the years.

Dustin was actually playing pretty solid till June. I would think 2 wins including a WGC (the Saudi international has about as many points as winning the AT&T) and 2 runner finishes in majors isn't really a disappointment for the majority of players.

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2019 2:18pm #6

Similar to others.

Add Tiger, Woodland, and Lowry to the good season.

Day is a notable under bad season for me as well. Probably JT too, although he was injured part of the year.

Not sure on Adam Scott and Rory. Probably in the "keeps the lights on" classification for each...

Edit:. add Rose to the last category. He won but never looked like the #1s of recent times.

Post edited by agolf1 on
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • TMoakley1547TMoakley1547 Members Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Not sure how Rory can be considered for the bad season list. 2 wins, 13 top 10's in 17 starts is a pretty **** good year. Sure, his major performances were pretty lackluster, but he did top 10 the PGA and US Open.

• Cincy_KenCincy_Ken Members Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

Rory backdoored the PGA pretty good and never was in contention. US Open he was on the fringes coming into the last round; could've done what Brooks did but started poorly. To play at such a high level and not seriously contend in any major is a big disappointment. I would still say good season but it's close for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file