Club Champion Coming To Grand Rapids, MI

scrody17 ·  
scrody17scrody17 Members  359WRX Points: 95Posts: 359 Greens

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else on here but forgive me if it already has been mentioned. But wanted to let all the Michiganders know that Club Champion is going in to Knapps Crossing (E Beltline Ave & Knapp St.) this fall in Grand Rapids. Excited for it to be close as it's always been on my list to get professionally fitted so maybe this will be what brings that into fruition.

P.S. Sorry if this should be in a different forum spot

Posted:
Current Set Up:
Cobra Fly Z+ Driver Kuro Kage
Nike Vapor Speed 3 wood w/ Pro Launch Red
Nike Vapor Fly 5 wood w/ EPIC T90
Callaway X-forged 2013 4-PW PXi 5.5 hard stepped once
Titleist SM6 50*
Titleist SM6 54*
Titleist SM6 60*
Odyssey O-Works #7s

Comments

• knickerbockerknickerbocker Pipe Dreamer Members  3410WRX Points: 179Handicap: 3.8Posts: 3,410 Titanium Tees

I had never heard of them. I looked them up. It looks like a cool place.

Posted:
    9* G LST w/ Aldila Rogue Silver i/o 60
    14* Callaway XR Pro w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70
    20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
    Taylormade p790 4 - GW with Modus Tour 120
    Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 with Modus Tour 120
    Putter: Scotty Cameron GOLO3
    WITB Link
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Mi-GolferMi-Golfer Metro DetroitMembers  423WRX Points: 81Posts: 423 Greens

Not to rain on your parade but I honestly dont know how they stay in business.
    Unless your last name begins with DeVos I'd stay far-far away from this place!
    1. all fittings done indoors hitting into a screen.
    2. they won't credit your fitting fee to your purchase.
    3. (The biggy) you pay FULL retail for everything you buy. So you can easily go past $1k for a driver ($400 head + $500 shaft + grip + ferrules + plus labor)
    I guess back in the day when the OEM's only had junk shafts this "might" have worked but you can get a premium shaft with little to no upcharge from everybody now!
    I was all excited when one opened in Royal Oak but I walked out just shaking my head.

Posted:
  • scrody17scrody17 Members  359WRX Points: 95Posts: 359 Greens

On -, @Mi-Golfer said:

3. (The biggy) you pay FULL retail for everything you buy. So you can easily go past $1k for a driver ($400 head + $500 shaft + grip + ferrules + plus labor)
    I guess back in the day when the OEM's only had junk shafts this "might" have worked but you can get a premium shaft with little to no upcharge from everybody now!
    I was all excited when one opened in Royal Oak but I walked out just shaking my head.

No rain here. I was mostly just letting everyone know. I'm open to getting fitted wherever is best.

Posted:
    Current Set Up:
    Cobra Fly Z+ Driver Kuro Kage
    Nike Vapor Speed 3 wood w/ Pro Launch Red
    Nike Vapor Fly 5 wood w/ EPIC T90
    Callaway X-forged 2013 4-PW PXi 5.5 hard stepped once
    Titleist SM6 50*
    Titleist SM6 54*
    Titleist SM6 60*
    Odyssey O-Works #7s
  • PhreddyPhreddy Members  706WRX Points: 242Posts: 706 Golden Tee

I had a great experience at one of their Chicago locations. The caveat is the box doesn't make the fitter. I had the good fortune to work with someone really talented, and I sincerely doubt that you could go anywhere else with an equal selection of heads and shafts. That said, it is priced at a premium. I knew going in I was paying tuition to learn about club fitting and I made the most of it. Having done that I feel pretty secure in narrowing my search and working with a fitter specific to those needs at a lesser price tag.

Phred

Posted:
    If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.
  • TherealpatgilesTherealpatgiles Members  669WRX Points: 226Handicap: 13Posts: 669 Golden Tee

On -, @scrody17 said:

On -, @Mi-Golfer said:

No rain here. I was mostly just letting everyone know. I'm open to getting fitted wherever is best.

Drive to the metro area and go to Carl's or miles of golf. That's where the best fittings happen.

Posted:
    Taylormade m5 9 ad gp 7x
    Epon af901 19 modus 120
    Nike vapor pro combo 3 iron
    Epon af 503 4-w modus 120s
    Epon tour 50 55 60 modus w
    Epon i33 rose gold putter
  • glenk69glenk69 G Members  114WRX Points: 51Handicap: 8Posts: 114 Fairways

Maple Hill in Grand Rapids does fittings. I've never had one, but they are fully equipped. They have a great store and a decent online site for buying equipment. www.maplehillgc.com. . Carl's in the Detroit area is a little bigger. I have also heard really good things about Miles of Golf in Ypsi as far as fitting.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • beckjg135beckjg135 bay city michiganMembers  88WRX Points: 75Posts: 88 Fairways

can you explain the shaking of the head when walking out of the royal oak location? more detail? i have one fitting booked for the grand rapids location, if i have to avoid it i will...

Posted:
  • Mi-GolferMi-Golfer Metro DetroitMembers  423WRX Points: 81Posts: 423 Greens

Were pretty spoiled here in metro Detroit. Between Miles and Carl’s you have some of the most experienced fitters anywhere and just about every head/shaft combination any of us would be willing to pay for.

I don’t know about you but I don’t play golf indoors hitting into a video screen so why would you throw away good money being fit that way?

Who knows - take your current clubs with you and see how you do inside on a sim - you might be fine.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.