TM SIM VS KE4 TC 1 st post updated

Popeye64 ·  
Popeye64Popeye64  1019WRX Points: 194Handicap: .2Members Posts: 1,019

So I went onto the Sim today with a driver shootout in mind. I had my M5 9.0, ISO-T 10.5, new KE4 TC 10.0 and the new SIM 9.0

As a disclaimer for the ISO-T 10.5 it is not an ideal setup for me and I do much better with the 9.5. But I wanted something to judge the new KE4 TC. For those who do not know the KE4 is a brand new Maltby release that is cast TI and adjustable hosel. It has a single weight port and slight fins on the crown, like a Ping which is a departure for Maltby. Crown has a beautiful matte finish and the fins make it look like a shark..

I wish I had all matching shafts but that's not gonna happen. The Sim has a Hazardous Green 6.0. KE4 had an Xcaliber Superlite55 S tipped one inch. ISO-T had a Paderson Kinetixx S and the M5 had a Superlite55 S.

I decided to hit all of them 8 shots each and then drop it down to the top two. The SIM jumped out as an early leader then the KE4 followed by the M5. The ISO-T while being super consistent just spins too much to keep up with the other guys. Later in the week I hope to get my ISO-T 9.5 back for some more head to head. The M5 suffered from badly leaking out to the right but did it in a very tight group.

So It came down to the KE4 and the SIM. Both of these driver are obviously brand new to me so the learning curve was steep. The SIM was very consistent right out of the box and produced some great numbers that were very repeatable. The KE4 took a little more to get comfortable with but matched the SIM once I got it going.

What surprised me is how often I thought I hit a garbage shot with the SIM only to see it went just as far as all the rest. It was very forgiving on mishits... kind of in a freaky way.

The KE4 hit some of the longest of the day and I have yet to tinker with either club for launching both a bit higher. Feel and sound wise I have to give the nod to the SIM. It has a slightly softer feel and a little less impact noise. KE4 was just a bit firmer and only slightly louder.

On The numbers posted the KE4 carry was hampered by a 250 carry that I should have thrown out. But the numbers are very close. I actually got better ball speed per club head speed out of the KE4. The SIM had awesome club head speed but only matched the KE4 in ball speed. I also threw in a session with the ISO-T and you can see how those spin numbers just kill performance but the ball speed was right there even with lesser club head speed.

The SIM was 46" long with my other two being 45". On the Flightscope I have the SIM written down as an M6.

For the **** of it I switched to the E6 software and did a session with just the KE4. That setup has medium fairways and isnt as kind to roll out.

I have to say how surprised I was with the KE4 keeping up with the SIM. During the next week I'll get more data with comparisons after tweaking both clubs along with data that includes the ISO-T 9.5. All told I have $205 into the KE4. Not too shabby, well less than half price of the TM. I do have to say that the SIM is an amazing driver. Feel, consistency and looks are awesome. If I didn't care about cost I would lean towards the TM.

I ran them a second time with matching shafts. Xcaliber Superlite55 S tipped an inch, 45", same grip. I hit 5 of the SIM and the 5 of the KE4. reviewed the data and then hit 5 more of each.

The KE4 edged out the SIM in overall distance. Matched it in balls speed and spun the ball 300+ rpms less. The SIM is faster in club head speed so the aero is certainly working but it disnt translate into club head speed.

The data shows these clubs are certainly close with just a bit of a nod to the KE4. For a club that is well below half the cost,,, for me the choice is simple.

I'm sure either club with time and tweaking can be made to give better results but I wanted as close a comparison as possible. The KE4 gives up nothing to the SIM.

I also repeated the test on the E6 software and its negligible which is better after hitting 3 a piece. KE4 is the first picture.

KE4 again bettered the SIM. Didnt expect to see anything different..... Dont sleep on these KE4 heads.

Posted:
Post edited by Popeye64 on

Comments

• Popeye64Popeye64  1019WRX Points: 194Handicap: .2Members Posts: 1,019

It's odd looking at the angle of attack how the KE4 is in the -2.1° range yet I was able to get it to work. I wonder if that's from the shaft or just me. Because both the Sim Max and the ISO-T were the same angle of attack at -.6. Seems I have a lot left in the KE4 if I can get that AOA up.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD  1354WRX Points: 539Handicap: 1.8Members Posts: 1,354

The SIM pictured is not the MAX just fyi

Posted:
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    TOULON Garage San Diego

Thanks for that. I was told today that the adjustable weight one was the SIM MAX.

Post corrected.

Posted:
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD  1354WRX Points: 539Handicap: 1.8Members Posts: 1,354

No problem just wanted to make sure you know that for your own testing! Thanks for sharing your results.

Posted:
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    TOULON Garage San Diego

• ode1ode1  2945WRX Points: 188Members Posts: 2,945

How's the face height on KE4? And how was it on toe hits?

If I do miss, it tends to be a little high on face and/or toey!

I saw the new wedges on the GW site the other day....look very good!

Posted:

Face height isnt overly big. I think its 2.2" high. I should have compared it to the SIM. Visually the SIM seems smaller as it has a lot of swoops and reliefs to aid in aero. So it may seem smaller than it is.

I didnt find the toe very often with the KE4 but when I did it wasnt overly punishing. As a matter of fact it didnt do anything crazy. It was plenty forgiving even on bad strikes. I wouldnt call it as forgiving as the SIM as that seemed wildly forgiving.

I am very interested to give this driver some quality time. I dont think it will be longer than the ISO-T 9.5 but I know it will be more forgiving.

I do need to see why it seems to be on the wrong side of the AOA scale. If I can correct that,, and it may just be me,, it could be very long.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • GdashoffGdashoff  186WRX Points: 35Members Posts: 186

Do you think the head speed difference is a result of actual clubhead shape or just an artifact of the length? How was the dispersion between the two? I would think the SIM would be slightly worst because of the difference in shaft length? It's fun the main OEMs are now selling stock 46" drivers.

Posted:

I definitely believe that the head shape has a lot to do with the increase in clubhead speed. My buddy the pro jumped up from his M5 to 124 mph From a previous high of 121.

I have a picture of the dispersion of the 3 clubs. The KE4 was the 1st club of the session so if I threw out the 1st shot that was short and the 2nd shot that was way right the dispersion of the KE4 and the SIM would be very close. Friday I'll have a chance to run both of them again. There is another screen shot from the simulator that didnt make it through in the email that was just the two drivers. That chart has them being very close in dispersion.

Again the SIM is marked as an M6

Posted:
  • WristySwingWristySwing  399WRX Points: 217Members Posts: 399

5 yards more carry with the SIM and more spin with a heavier shaft. The Maltby is close but it's not identical. It would be interesting to see how they would stack up with similarly weight shafts/the same shaft (make a TM tipped SUperlite)

Posted:

Driver -- empty -- PXG 0341 13.5* - HZRDUS T1100 75 -- Rogue SZ 18* - Diamana Thump 85 -- Titleist 917F2 21* - Diamana Thump 85 -- New Level 1031 5-PW - Accra 110i -- Mizuno T20 Raw 50*, 54* - Accra 123i -- Taylormade HiToe 58* ATV - Accra 123i -- Bettinardi or Scotty -- Always Lamkin grips

That's exactly what I will be doing for Friday. Two identically setup Superlite55 S both tipped an inch. To be fair with the carry numbers there is a 250 carry in the KE4 numbers that was the first swing of the session. I cant get rid of it once its hit with out a certain option checked off so I just ran with it.

I'll run them both on the Flightscope software and then on the E6. Ill get a dispersion chart as well. With a little more preparation this time I'll collect cleaner data. Just hope I bring a good swing Friday.

Posted:

Ok so I'm a little bit ahead of my time frame and I have the shaft setup for the TM SIM. Superlite55 S, tipped one inch, playing length will be 45". Identical grips as well. The CPM on the two shafts is 268 and 269 so they are about as close as it can get. They are also set to the factory Pure marks or FLO whichever you want to call it.

So this should be as fair of a comparison as possible. I'll also collect data two days in a row and try and have someone else hit them. Loft wise is a question as one is a 9.0 (SIM),,and the other is a 10.0 (KE4) but they are both adjustable. I'll try and measure actual loft as best I can. Drivers dont fit in the loft and lie machine and i cant find the protractor. I will use a digital angle finder though.

Not sure if I even have to worry about actual loft as they are such different designs. So comparatively it probably means nothing.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • pozzitpozzit  15WRX Points: 8Members Posts: 15

I only found Maltby brand recently and have been very impressed with their stuff picked up a KE4 2iron and TS1 7 iron from here and just ordered a wedge and 7Iron in the PTM &TE I have been curious how their woods perform so thanks for this write up.

Posted:

1st post is updated these are some of the screen shots from the session. Identical shafts, the KE4 beat out the SIM.

Posted:
    Post edited by Popeye64 on

What's up with the loft/f.a. chart?

Seems a bit off 🤔

Posted:
  • GdashoffGdashoff  186WRX Points: 35Members Posts: 186

What's wrong with it? I'm assuming it is just their measurements when the hold the shaft on a fixed axis and change which insert you use.

Posted:

Higest loft and most open f.a. does not make sense. Likely a misprint/oversight!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • 03trdblack03trdblack Wake Forest, NC 2025WRX Points: 266Handicap: 0.7ClubWRX Posts: 2,025

Made me laugh when I read the questions on the works website.

Q: USGA approved yet?

A: Not yet USGA approved. I am sure we will be sending it soon.

Sounds like they might get around to submitting it...at some point, maybe. 😂

Posted:

03trdblack. All of the equipment they sell goes to the usga for approval. Nothing to my knowledge has failed. They dont have a tour presence and its catalog time so they are swamped. It's not a huge priority.

Posted:
  • 03trdblack03trdblack Wake Forest, NC 2025WRX Points: 266Handicap: 0.7ClubWRX Posts: 2,025

Oh yeah I know. They are always on top of that. The wording of it just made me laugh a bit

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.