Manuel De La Torre - Trying to Implement

I started implementing some his principles but seem to be having some issues with two areas: coming out of spine angle and club head flopping around at the top. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I've started playing the club head in the center of the stance, trying my best to stay balance and let the body react to the club, not the other way around.

https://imgur.com/YMZpFIEThanks,

Marlon

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO your spine angle is fine don't worry about it.

If you can finish like this it should help:

delatorrefinish.jpgAll your weight on your lead side standing straight up and relaxed. This takes a lot of stress out of your swing and helps to avoid injury. The more easy and relaxed you can swing the better you will play and the farther the ball will go.

A relaxed, balanced swing is what we are after. Put the club over your trail shoulder on the backswing and over your lead shoulder on the follow through. Finish standing straight up and relaxed just like de la Torre in the picture that I posted earlier. We are after a pure swinging motion and the body will accommodate the motion correctly if we forget about what it is doing. Become an observer of your swing and sort of detached. Don't try to figure out what you did wrong on any particular swing or what you are doing wrong in general. de la Torre liked to say "Why would you want to know what you did wrong? Do you want to repeat it?". We are after a pure swinging motion and when we get that motion the shots will take care of themselves. Golf can become very simple and fun this way...

It looks like you are a little jammed quite possibly from not getting the weight on your right side, plus the back of your right wrist possibly isn't cupped enough. I would take a look at this video at 5:10 to 6:20 by another good coach Jimmy Ballard that shows how the right side is loaded.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

@Nels55 IMHO your spine angle is fine don't worry about it.
I would disagree with that statement. Take a look at the images below. I think that you are going to have a most difficult time achieving consistency in this case. I have this problem and struggle to fix it. Some of it is age related (70+ - reduced flexibility). You might try starting with 'L to L" (or half) swings - something small enough where you can control what you are doing and kind of 'move up' on the problem.

dave
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/LPZHUEAWAZ8D/add.jpg[/img]
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/Y0C6GKYB145S/imp.jpg[/img]

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/FG29HLHD23AY/paynestwghmp.jpg[/img]@DaveLeeNC, standing up through impact is a correct movement for upper core golfers. Payne Stewart did pretty well with that move. That is why I don't worry about it in my own swing. You might check out Larry Rinker's videos on youtube for the rational behind this idea. I spent a lot of time and money on lessons trying to 'correct' things that I now believe don't matter... I am a lot happier not worrying about such things now. I think that you will find a lot more consistency in your game by accepting the swing that you have and working on your skills. That said I do have some things that I practice like staying balanced and keeping the club on plane starting down but those are simple things that I can actually do. I hope that this might make some sense to you? And if not I understand and I hope that you get your swing figured out either way!

Standing up is not a correct movement for someone trying to execute the swing Manny taught. Stnding up means you have raised your swing center which means you are no longer making the club swing. A swing is a back and forth motion from a fixed point. No fixed point no swing as Manny defines the term. If you want to Swing the way Manny taught, the first thing to do is ignore people teaching other systems, Larry Rinker, for example.

David Lee's suggestion isn't a bad one.

Steve

I am going to agree and disagree with what you have said in a single post!

Until a few years ago) I had a golf club in my hands (play or practice) 6 or 7 days a week. I managed a 'summertime index' that would typically dip down in the 4-5 range and go up a stroke or 2 in the winter (but still 6 or 7 days a week touching a golf club). In that timeframe I stood up in a manner similar to the video that started this and I was able to cope with it. Actually a bit less, but still..

A few years ago my game just went to hell (like in a month) and I moved away from the game and started playing typically once a week with only rare practice sessions. My index basically doubled. More recently I started to just 'play with the swing that I could control'. And that was my normal driver swing (where the ball moving about an inch left-right/up-down around the clubface still produces decent results) and otherwise hitting the ball with half swings - my goto club from 100 yards was a 6i.

My single focus here is DO NOT STAND UP. I can do that with half swings and I can hit the center of the clubface most of the time. I have been inching back to full swings but have been mostly off the course since the beginning of the pandemic, so I really don't know how much of that I might use on the course right now., Haven't played since late March, but I do practice typically 2x per week.

And if I were to go back to 6-7 days a week of play/practice I don't know if I could manage my 'stand up' or not. I am guessing no and that the age related decline in physical skills is the reason. But I am guessing about that. But I can say with GREAT confidence that 'the swing that I have naturally (after years of playing golf)' no longer hits the ball with any reliability at all when playing/practicing 1-2 times per week.

dave

I played my first round today since July of last year - shot 10 strokes lower on the back! (51/41).

I have to say, I am happy considering the following:

• I'm alive and don't have Covid and still healthy with a piggy bank stashed away.

• Drives were push fades - which is a direct result of losing spine angle at impact. I've worked on this at the range for the last 3 days and for me, there was an aha moment after watching my old and current driver videos. I watched Justin Thomas' swing in slow motion and concluded that I think my shoulders are not moving correctly - they are tilting instead of TURNING AROUND the spine at impact - this results in these very obvious things - right knee gets kicked in early on DS, hands gets jammed when approaching impact (no where to go), and you have to stand up otherwise, I'd fall on my as_. This is because the hands are flown away from my body!

To combat this, I am focusing on slapping the right wrist/hands into my left thigh at impact - this gets the hands at a position close to setup, shoulders will rotate properly around an intact spine angle and follow thought doesn't look like a train wreck as you see in my video above. The club exits left, and I stay balanced and spine angle is retained.

I will post a video of my progress. I thank you gents for your honest feedback. This shoulder tilting will mess your back up...on irons, shots are crisp if I focus on this right hand slapping the left thigh resulting in good balance.

@juststeve, I brought up Larry Rinker not to suggest using his method but to try to point out the theory that Dr. Wright has developed that there are lower, mid and upper core swingers. Most tour pros are lower or mid core and they will maintain their spine angle. Upper core swingers not so much meaning that maintaining spine angle is possibly not something to worry about as Rinker claims that the majority of the golfers that he tests are upper core.
So, I would say that if a golfer is following de la Torre's teaching and swinging the arms through it is probably okay if there is a bit of standing up through the ball.
Regarding the OP's swing it looks to me that it would be better if he made a bigger circle with the clubhead and finished with his weight on his lead foot standing straight up like de la Torre did. Not sure of your opinion on the big circle thought?

@Nels55 The two items you mentioned: making a bigger circle with the clubhead and finishing with weight on the front foot are not things that should be thought about during the swing...they are hard to manage since MDLT would insist on focusing on just the club...those items should take care of themselves.
I will practice this drill with the driver and try to see if spine angle can be retained: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOuV4zdXt7Q

Marlon:

To give yoursef the best chance to learn this particular swing get rid of the ball for a while,. Just assume the grip and stance Manny prescribed and the practice swinging the club from over the trail shoulder to over the lead shoulder brushing the grass on the way. Without a ball your attention will be where it belongs, on the club. All your attention is on the club. You simply swing and allow your body to respond as it will. Film youself and you will see the difference beteen what you are doing and a real swinging motion.

Steve

de la Torre talks specifically about getting the club over the trail shoulder on the backswing and then over the lead shoulder on the finish so he does talk about position. The lady pro he uses for swing examples in the video "Understanding the Golf Swing" demonstrates this perfectly including the straight up balanced finish.

The circle is an Earnest Jones teaching and de la Torre talks about the swing being a circle in his book on page 58 and 59. The big circle of the clubhead is something that I practice because it does a lot of good things in my swing.

I believe that practicing finishing correctly will help your swing a great deal and is easy to do and I would strongly recommend it.

I don't know why you would think that standing up is OK in Manny's system. We keep our swing center stationary for a number of reasons. For one It promotes a consistent bottom to the swing arc. Move the center up and down and you need to make ad hoc manipulations to get the club solidly on the ball. It can be done but Manny's swing concept is to eliminate the need for those manipulations.

As to the finish position, that is the result of moving the club from over the trail shoulder brushing the ground on the way. The picture of Manny at the end of his swing reflects the way his body responded to swinging the club properly. My finish position is like Manny's but not the same. Why? Because no two bodies respond in exactly the same way to swinging the club. That's why chancing positions is not part of what Manny taught.

Steve

Steve, my point is that if a persons natural swing is the upper core swing then the standing up move is correct for that person. If you don't believe that the Wright Balance system is correct in their assessments then that would be bit of a problem and I understand that. I don't think that de la Torre cared one way or the other as long as the swing was pure as you mentioned concerning Payne Stewart's swing. As you said no two bodies respond the same way (my point with Wright Balance) and 'changing positions' would include trying to change spine angle would it not?

I am interested in your assertion that standing up moves the center of the swing. I would think that the center would be more in the shoulder area? I am trying to understand that! Can your provide a reference where de la Torre talks about the center of the swing? Thanks!

Hi Steve, yes I have read the book but I don't always remember everything! Getting older and I have read a lot of golf instruction over the years... I don't think that the standing up move or g humping as some people call it changes the center location. I would say that Payne Stewart maintained his center quite well! The point that I am trying to make is that the correct swing will look different for different players and trying to 'fix' spine angle change can be a real waste of time. If the swinging motion improves and the spine angle look gets 'better' then that is fine but pursuing a fixed spine angle through the ball is a bad idea especially if the golfer is in the upper core range. My use of the term standing up may have been a poor choice of words as it probably means something different to other people then it does to me.

@Nels55 I have to disagree on some of those points, and this is just based on my own personal observation of my 9i vid compared to the driver.
I feel the standing up at impact is a survival mechanism, due mainly to balance. In the 9i, you can clearly see my spine angle is "better retained" and I have a better balanced finished - the opposite is seen in the driver. The hans are not being thrown away from the body at impact.
My goal is consistency and if I can get the hands closer to the body with the driver at impact, I will get the consistency and spine angle should be retained, or close to it. I will do as Steve suggested, removing the ball and try to see why the driver is causing this up and out move.

Guys, further digging into this original video, I sense there is early extension ("goat humping") and most of this is triggered by trying to kill from the top, instead of allowing a smooth transition and get the lower body moving first in the DS.

I am trying my best to not micromanage this but the feel of a proper shoulder turn (not tilting by allowing trail shoulder to go down early), a smooth transition of the club should give way to resolving these faults.

Marlon:

There are a lot of good ways to swing the club. Some have elements foreign to Manny's way, some even destructive of what you are trying to do if you're trying to follow Manny's wing concept. Two non-Manny concepts are in your quoted post.

Proper shoulder turn: Manny never taught about a "proper shoulder turn" because he thought the shoulder turn should be a reaction to the movement of the club and expected different golfers, with different bodies to react differently. In the many years I knew him I never saw him correct someones shoulder turn. You needn't worry about it either and when you do you take your attention from where it should be, on the club to something you don't need to think about.

Lower body moving first: Manny taught a method in which the lower body doesn't move first. Any movement of the body is a reaction to the movement of the club and must therefore occur after the club begins to move. The sequence Mannt tught was back with both hands, allowing the body to respond, forward with both arms swinging the club in the directionof the target in one continuous motion to the end of the swing allowing the body to respond. That results in the body doing what it must for you to make the proper swing.

If you were to suggest moving the lower body first in the down swing he would ask you a series of question. When do you move your lower body, how far, how fast, in what direction, is it the same for a driver as for a wedge, what about partial shots, and how much time do you have to practice. If you were to say I'm going to practice like a tour pro he would tell you that with that much practice you can learn to do most anything.

Steve

@marlon Why don't you post a video from the front? Also, your left hand grip looks like it's mostly in the palm instead of the hand, which will severly limit how effective the hands can be as well as shoulder turn and width.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

• 1 month later...

Wow, after such a long time battling my early extension, this video finally fixed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IxllCJRKS4There is a post here in Golfwrx that has placed a post citing the merits of the vid which is now in the Hall of Fame for posts!

A couple takeaways: at setup, my weight is on the balls of my feet, not in the heels. On the backswing, my hips get deep (away from the ball) and this causes a slight dipping of the spine, which is the COMPLETE opposite of what was happening in my early extension swing. Doing this exaggerated move with the driver is a real game changer.

The graphical representation of the hip movement of a Pro is something you cannot depict from watching a pro swing in real life...even in very slow motion. This is money.