College Golf

kobe123 ·  
kobe123kobe123 Golf Is A Way Of LifeJr. Boomers  1299WRX Points: 194Posts: 1,299 Platinum Tees
Hey guys I was wondering if it would be possible for me to play college golf somewhere.

My Freshman year i wasn't to serouis about golf but average 42. Just hacked around

Soph. Year got really serouis and averaged a 38.8.

This year playing decent have a 38.25 as of right now.

I was just wondering if i could get into college and continue playing?

Thanks,

Kobe123
Posted:

Comments

• gboldman23gboldman23 Jr. Boomers  1113WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,113
    Odds are yes you can find somewhere to play. Have you gotten anything from schools yet?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • leventhalcleventhalc ClubWRX  219WRX Points: 64Posts: 219 Fairways
    THere is one other number that matters...GPA
    Posted:
    • PXG Gen 2 0811X 9* Even Flow White 6.5X
    • TM M2 Tour 3W Kuro Kage 70S
    • PXG 0311X Darkness 3 Iron - Aerotech Steelfiber 110S
    • PXG 0311 4 & 5 Iron - Aerotech Steelfiber 110S
    • PXG 0311T 6 - PW - Aerotech Steelfiber 110S
    • Cleveland RTX-4 50, 54, 58 DGS400 Tour Issue
    • 2018 Scotty Laguna
  • blairdblaird Biloxi, MSMembers  2224WRX Points: 162Posts: 2,224 Platinum Tees
    Play tons of summer golf!! As many tournaments as you can afford to play, you need to play in them. Create a resume of all the tournaments you have played with the scores and how you finished. Try to play AJGA events or IJGT, good finishes in these will help with colleges. Your scores seem like you could play college golf somewhere!! Good Luck!!
    Posted:
  • kobe123kobe123 Golf Is A Way Of Life Jr. Boomers  1299WRX Points: 194Posts: 1,299 Platinum Tees
    Nope, haven't gotten anything from any schools. I'm gonig to email Mizzou.
    Posted:
  • up&down68up&down68 Members  4WRX Points: 0Posts: 4
    hey kobe 123

I would recommend typing a letter and sending it to colleges through the mail and not e-mail. My good friend did this all throughout high school and was very successful talking to coaches. Shes going to UVA next year to play for them too.
    Posted:
  • ccpgolfccpgolf Members  526WRX Points: 0Posts: 526
    Don't talk to Mizzou, the coach is an as$hole. This is not coming from me like getting turned down or anything, but living in Missouri, I have heard some stories about him and the way that he runs the team and he sounds like a dick.

- I have also heard that he plans his roster out and scouts people a couple years in advance. John Kelly, US Amateur runner up in 2006 and a Mizzou grad is a friend of a friend and told me that he had a verbal commitment late sophmore early junior year. I'm not sure what the rules are but the Mizzou coach is looking at kids that are coming up.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • DRGJR72DRGJR72 Members  2337WRX Points: 56Handicap: PGAPosts: 2,337 Platinum Tees
    Start writing to colleges that are of interest to you (don't focus on just one). Think of it like a job application. In your letter to the coach highlight your golfing highlights (tournament scores/results/accomplishments) and academic assets. I am sure there are schools out there that want people to play on their golf team. Your letter must be well written and then hope that your GPA and scoring average are what the coach is looking for.
    Posted:
    Driver: GBB Rogue Sub Zero
    3W: Callaway DBD
    Hybrid: Adams LSP
    Irons: Bridgestone J40 cb/TM P-790 on the way
    52, 56, 60 Fourteen
    Putter: Odyssey Highway 101 #7
  • ryanandrew_golfryanandrew_golf Members  663WRX Points: 36Posts: 663 Golden Tee
    Yes, definately contact coaches but be realistic about your ability. If you're a junior with a 38 avg. in 9 hole HS matches and no national tourney experience (with decent finishes) then you can't expect to play at Missouri or any program in a major conference. A lower tier D1 if you improve a lot but maybe DII or NAIA would be more realistic?

I'm not trying to be a d!#& and you could improve enough possibly so that you can be competitive in state junior championships (top 3 - 5 finishes) and national tourneys (top 10 to 20) but you better work really hard and be ready by next summer.
    Posted:
  • kobe123kobe123 Golf Is A Way Of Life Jr. Boomers  1299WRX Points: 194Posts: 1,299 Platinum Tees
    Oh, i just cant afford those big tournaments. At the end of the year my average should be around a 36.

Here is my new swing- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHfKIou2EIc

Don't look at the old ones please
    Posted:
  • ryanandrew_golfryanandrew_golf Members  663WRX Points: 36Posts: 663 Golden Tee
    kobe123 wrote on Sep 6 2008, 04:34 PM:
    Oh, i just cant afford those big tournaments. At the end of the year my average should be around a 36.

Here is my new swing- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHfKIou2EIc

Don't look at the old ones please

The swing looks pretty good but you still have to have tourney results to attract the attention of coaches from major conferences. The state championships shouldn't be expensive (at least not here). AJGA is costly though they do have financial aid. Anyway, give it a shot but be realistic. Go to schools websites that interest you and see what their players accomplished in junior golf and find schools that match you ability.

And work your tail off on short game! I'm no teaching pro but your move looks like you should be able to shoot lower numbers if you manage it well and have a short game to match. Putt, putt and then when you're done, putt some more.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Yup putting is killing my game right now.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • drew123drew123 Members  1618WRX Points: 107Posts: 1,618 Platinum Tees
    I'll be honest high school golf doesn't mean squat. Tournaments are all college coaches are interested in.

Swing looks good, do you work regularly with an instructor?

Best advice I could give you would be focus on grades and pick a school you love and then see if the golf matches up there. Going to a school solely to play golf, if you have no intention of one day playing professionally, is a bad idea.

hope this helps, best of luck. The college search process is a hectic one for sure but try to have fun with it, it is one of the best times of your life.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440
    Taylormade M3 15
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2
    Mizuno MP18
    Vokey SM7
    Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2
    No, I really don't go to instructor. I try to teach my self. And my Golf Coach of the school team helps me alot.
    Posted:
  • TucsonGolferTucsonGolfer Members  1440WRX Points: 55Posts: 1,440 Bunkers
    1. Can you play?

Yes,

2. On a full ride

Sorry but not a chance

3. Have you had any scouts come to tournaments?

4. Set a couple goals for yourself senior year. how about this..

A. Become the #1 on your team

B. Work your a** of with short game when you practice.

C. You have to want it, and willing to sacrifice some time with friends and girls to do so.

D. Make it to regional and go from there. ( This will give you a great sense of how many great amateur golfers there are )

Please don't take this the wrong way, I had to go through the same thing. Just a little advice from a guy trying to make it in college golf also.
    Posted:
    I am One on my team right now.

Averaging a 37.7

Made it to Regionals last year, missed state by 3.
    Posted:
  • dooley doodooley doo Members  4WRX Points: 0Posts: 4
    Spend the most time that you can on short game. You can be the best ball striker on the team but if your short game is not good you wont shoot low.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • DoctorPalDoctorPal Members  157WRX Points: 0Posts: 157
    Your scoring average is one thing, but don't forget that there are other numbers that are just as important if you want to play golf in college:

SAT/ACT

GPA

I'm a college professor and I have lots of athletes in my courses, some of whom end up on academic probation and, subsequently, academically ineligible to compete in NCAA-sanctioned sports.

The NCAA publishes freshman eligibility standards. D-I has a sliding-scale, where the higher your GPA, the lower SAT score you need and the lower your GPA (2.0 minimum), the higher your SAT must be. D-II has a set scale. If you google "NCAA eligibility" you'll find the requirements. In my opinion, the standards aren't particularly demanding, but that's the opinion of an over-educated liberal elitist wanker, so take my opinion with a healthy grain of salt.

Obviously look at D-I programs, but there are tons of opportunities at the D-II and D-III level for golf plus a good education, to boot.

Remember, when you're applying to a college, they're looking at the whole package - not just your GIR and sand save percentage. Good luck!
    Posted:
  • okra23okra23 Members  6WRX Points: 0Posts: 6
    Kobe,

As a coach of a small college in Mississippi I would say there is definately a school that could use you on their team. I looked at your swing video and it looks pretty fundamentaly sound and I think you could definately improve on a college team. Don't think that because you don't plan on AJGA there isn't a school out there you can play for. DoctorPal is right about the importance of academic numbers for scholarships. At my school alot of the money I am allowed to give out is directly tied to your GPA and ACT/SAT scores. Good numbers in those areas make you more attractive to coaches I can assure you.
    Posted:
  • big_joebig_joe Members  180WRX Points: 0Posts: 180
    Hi Okra, I am a senior this year and just starting to get into competitive golf. Do you think I still have a chance to get onto a college team? My scoring average is around 38 and I am going to start playing on the Florida Junior Tour.
    Posted:
    Okra, thanks for good advice. I just want to keep playing competitive golf.
    Posted:
  • okra23okra23 Members  6WRX Points: 0Posts: 6
    big joe,

I would like to talk to you and kobe further if you are interested. Send me a message or an email and we can talk further.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.