SCOTTY NEWPORT

Zlim

design release date?
when did SC release the newport/heel toe weighting design? I'm just curious.

EDIT: sorry for the late edit...I am wondering if he started the idea for heel toe weighting in the "two circles" look because I ran into a couple of putters that had this and was released in 2004. but just curious to see if this idea was his own original or another copy like the red dot

BTW..not trying to bash on SC but just trying to find out who thought of it first thats all

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure you don't mean when did Karsten Solheim and Ping release the Anser?

For sure...agreed

To the original poster, the Classic 1 was released in 1993 though if that's more of what you were looking for.

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

Are you sure you don't mean when did Karsten Solheim and Ping release the Anser?

My goodness, reading this is getting almost as annoying as hearing "GET IN THE HOLE!!!" on TV. Everyone knows it, lets stop :deadhorse: to death and keep on the topic at hand.

(phew, glad I got that out)

But the studio selects were released in 2008.

I'm not a big SC person(just learning) but legit question here: so you are saying that the Newport heel/toe weighting system was utilized by Scotty for the 2008 models first? What about all the Newport designs before then? Were they more heel weighted than even w/ toe?

Seriously.

thanks.

I think the OP is talking about the weight plugs used in the Studio Selects on the heel and toe. This is the first time SC has had a retail line with weights in the sole of the putter like this. He's not asking if anyone else has done it before, he's when SC did (but I believe Scotty did some tungsten weighting long before the Studio Selects on tour putters, but I don't know for certain).

However I don't entirely understand what you are trying to ask here though.

mizuno bettiardi dont have an answer,though i think there is a tour model that does?

The Mizuno / Bettinardi C-01 ?

C-01.jpg

Also Bettinardi alone has milled a few Anser style putters.

Scotty has put tungsten weights in putters for a while.

Here are some in the Cameron registry

http://www.cameroncollector.com/coa_search.php

greg

PS: to some of you, please enlighten me as to what putter companies do NOT have a anser style model

Ahhh, the "everyone else was doing it" defense.

In fairness to the OP, Scotty Cameron didn't release the "newport/heel toe weighting design." The design is correctly called (as Greg noted) an Anser style as it was first released by Karsten Solheim in 1966 as the Ping Anser.

And, as posted above, Cameron's first attempt at an Anser style was the 1993 Classic I.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

Scotty has put tungsten weights in putters for a while.

Here are some in the Cameron registry

http://www.cameroncollector.com/coa_search.php

greg

PS: to some of you, please enlighten me as to what putter companies do NOT have a anser style model

In fairness to the OP, Scotty Cameron didn't release the "newport/heel toe weighting design." The design is correctly called (as Greg noted) an Anser style as it was first released by Karsten Solheim in 1966 as the Ping Anser.

And, as posted above, Cameron's first attempt at an Anser style was the 1993 Classic I.

I don't look at it as the "everyone else was doing it" defense.

I look at it as all the Cameron Bashers being hypocrites as their preferred putter makers are not only using the same designs, but trying to follow the Cameron business model that has been so successful. Good luck with that.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I don't look at it as the "everyone else was doing it" defense.

I look at it as all the Cameron Bashers being hypocrites as their preferred putter makers are not only using the same designs, but trying to follow the Cameron business model that has been so successful. Good luck with that.

Kevin

I totally agree with that point. SC is not the only one out there making the most of his brand and has a devoted cult-like status.

I think the misunderstanding in regards to 'heel/toe weighted' design triggered this debate, so perhaps some of us should just relax and see that it's really no big deal.

I look at it as someone corrected the OP that the design is not Scotty's but Karsten's. Nobody "bashed" Cameron. They simply were giving credit where credit is due.

On the contrary, if you read this thread, it was the Cameron DEFENDERS that turned this thread into a pissing match. (I'm using the "he started it" defense...) :rolleyes:

I look at it as someone corrected the OP that the design is not Scotty's but Karsten's. Nobody "bashed" Cameron. They simply were giving credit where credit is due.

On the contrary, if you read this thread, it was the Cameron DEFENDERS that turned this thread into a pissing match. (I'm using the "he started it" defense...) :rolleyes:

Stage,

I respect you, a lot. I'm just so tired of the silly comments. I need to thicken up the skin. Please accept my apologies, I don't know why I chose to take my frustration out on a good guy that I have always enjoyed.

Thanks,

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Well I am asking when the adjustable heel toe weight feature was added to his putters...not the look of anything just the feature...doing a little research and I am starting to notice that SC had kinda copied some of the things that others have done...I already know about the red dot and some of his styles but I am wondering about the weights now.

Well I am asking when the adjustable heel toe weight feature was added to his putters...not the look of anything just the feature...doing a little research and I am starting to notice that SC had kinda copied some of the things that others have done...I already know about the red dot and some of his styles but I am wondering about the weights now.

I am laughing so freaking hard right now!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for making my day,

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Alright, this makes a bit more sense. Your original post of "newport/heel toe weighting design" was very confusing as any Anser/Newport/BB1/etc. etc. style putter is actually classified as "heel toe weighted", which is why I first responded with the Classic 1 released in 1993. A lot of people call them blades, which most people would instantly recognize what's being talked about, but a technical "blade" would be more of the original 8802/Napa/BB2 styles. Just to clear all of that up a little more.

So, your question is in regards to the actual adjustable heel AND toe weights adopted by Scotty Camerons 2008 Studio Select line. Most questions in regards to that have been answered already I believe, and if not then let the questions roll...

jmfhndagllkjgfdsdfjkl;szxc <<<<<<< me banging my head on the keyboard.

I have had issues with SC since November 2007, however I don't make it my life mission to bash the guy to death. "everyone else is doing it?" Yes it may be a childish defense however the statement is very true for alot of other manufacturers.

And the guy asked about when SC started doing it, not when the answer style first came out.

Can I get a facepalm? I don't know why I bother commenting

Blank-Picard_Facepalm.jpg

Thank you Picard

I have had issues with SC since November 2007, however I don't make it my life mission to bash the guy to death. "everyone else is doing it?" Yes it may be a childish defense however the statement is very true for alot of other manufacturers.

And the guy asked about when SC started doing it, not when the answer style first came out.

Thank you Picard

Vince,

I know you've been around the boards for a while and understand that with the "who's copying who" arguments that occur constantly, it becomes even more important that credit is given to those that earned it.

The OP's first post (pre edit) was "when did SC release the newport/heel toe weighting design?" This becomes an issue because it can easily be interepreted that:

1) SC released it and therefore invented it.

2) The class of said putter would then be a Newport style instead of Anser style.

That may seem ridiculous to people that have been here a while. But you have a lot of posters on this site that call that style a "Newport" style instead of the correct "Anser" style that it is. Sorry, it may seem trivial, but I'm not a fan of revisionist history.

Apparently other posters feel the same way I do, because it was pointed out and corrected in the next post. Others noted the Classic I, which was Cameron's first Anser style putter. And those with better ESP than myself understood that the OP was asking about the Studio Style removable weights and gave the release date of that series as well. Once the OP clarified the information that he was looking for, the situation calmed down.

Pointing out factual errors is not bashing. It's the first step in correcting ignorance. Knowledge is neither good nor bad. It's what is done with that knowledge that makes a difference.

MOVING ON...

As for the circular tungsten weight question, Cameron used a lot of tungsten weights from the old Titleist AC-108 irons in his putters before the "Select" weighting system was released. They look pretty cool pressed into the soles of the putters.

Ping WRX has also used tungsten cylinders pressed into the face and soles of the club. Slotline's Tungsten Raider used two cylinders placed behind the heel-toe of an aluminum body. And Carbite's Z series had Tungsten edges dovetailed onto an aluminum face.

The only two systems that use removable tungsten weights that I know of are the TLC weights in the Rossa putters and the Select weights in the Camerons. Both require tools to remove.

Thank you Picard

Vince,

I know you've been around the boards for a while and understand that with the "who's copying who" arguments that occur constantly, it becomes even more important that credit is given to those that earned it.

The OP's first post (pre edit) was "when did SC release the newport/heel toe weighting design?" This becomes an issue because it can easily be interepreted that:

1) SC released it and therefore invented it.

2) The class of said putter would then be a Newport style instead of Anser style.

That may seem ridiculous to people that have been here a while. But you have a lot of posters on this site that call that style a "Newport" style instead of the correct "Anser" style that it is. Sorry, it may seem trivial, but I'm not a fan of revisionist history.

Apparently other posters feel the same way I do, because it was pointed out and corrected in the next post. Others noted the Classic I, which was Cameron's first Anser style putter. And those with better ESP than myself understood that the OP was asking about the Studio Style removable weights and gave the release date of that series as well. Once the OP clarified the information that he was looking for, the situation calmed down.

Pointing out factual errors is not bashing. It's the first step in correcting ignorance. Knowledge is neither good nor bad. It's what is done with that knowledge that makes a difference.

Fair enough. But I'm glad you understand my frustration here as it seems to come up in every other thread.

I will refrain from commenting on it from now on, its hurting my e-thug reputation :pimp:

Karsten is/was a genius no debate there. I found an earlier attemp at moving weight around the clubhead to make an easier hitting club. In 1934 Wilson introduced Oggmented irons. Wille Ogg designed irons that featured 3 small weights set in the toe of the clubhead to reduce torque. The principle was applied to woods also. By 1937 they disappeared from the line. If you have the old wilson catalogs book that Jim Kaplan edited you can find them there.

Thank you Picard

Make it so, #1. :rolleyes:

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34"