2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist NXT Tour vs TaylorMade Burner TP

crazygolfnut

share your thoughts
Like a lot of us here, I am always looking for the “best” ball and prefer a mid price ball that has distance and spin. My current default ball at this time is the Titleist NXT Tour but I am thinking about the TaylorMade Burner TP. FYI my swing speed is 85 to 90. I plan to take both to the course and compare them but was hoping someone could provide some opinions on how the two balls compare to each other. Thanks for your input. :wave:

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the burner tp is longer off the tee spins more with wedges and is softer off the putter and oh yeah is cheaper. the burner tp could be the best bang for your buck ever...plus they are better in the wind thanks to the ldp.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

Can anyone also compare the Burner Tp, Nxt and the Bridgestone e5+? Although limited the GD ball review showed the tp and e5+ to be nearly identical with the e5+ flight being a little lower.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

burner tp is not the same as the maxfli tour fire i hate to tell u. they have some similarites but the maxfli does not have ldp and i have played them side by side the burner tp is a better ball with more tech cramed into it, sorry 373 :man_in_love:

150PSP System-Witb

Mazel Chipper PW

Bridgestone e6 Ball

burner tp is not the same as the maxfli tour fire i hate to tell u. they have some similarites but the maxfli does not have ldp and i have played them side by side the burner tp is a better ball with more tech cramed into it, sorry 373

testament to the power of placebo and marketing. the Tour Fire and Burner TP are the *exact* same ball. same "Iothane" cover formulation, same "HPF 1000" mantle formulation, same core formulation, same 75 compression rating by the manufacturer. they also both have 342 dimples, so they share the same dimple configuration.

TM had already designed the Tour Fire to stay in the air longer, but did not incorporate that in its 06-07 TP Red/Black line--which both featured 322 dimples. when TM released balls with "LDP" technology, the dimple design was redone for the Burner 2-piece (a slightly better Noodle+) and TP Red/Black. those balls have 360 dimples.

this isn't the first time a ball manufacturer has done this. Acushnet did the same thing a couple of years ago with the Pinnacle Exception and Titleist NXT--those two balls are identical.

I'm adding the e5+ to my review because someone was asking about those (different thread maybe).

Ranking (for me!):

1) TaylorMade Burner TP

If this ball was marketed as a premium ball, you'd believe it after playing it. Good length, soft, incredible durability, drop and stop. Trajectory is a little higher than some balls, which I liked as even long irons held the greens. I'm very curious to see how these perform in the summer as they exceeded my expectations in Florida and here in spring. They rate very well in all the ball tests I've seen.

2) Bridgestone e5+

Good all around ball especially for a 2-pc. Biggest complaint = the graphics on it.

3) Titleist NXT Tour

Good feel off putter and driver. Initially I liked it a lot, but then it's weaknesses began showing up in comparison to other balls. Despite adequate spin numbers in tests, it didn't stick nearly as well as the B330-S or e5+ or Burner TP. Chips, pitches, and short irons seemed to come off too hot and roll-out was frustrating in comparison. Durability was a problem as my wedges ate them up.

Srixon ZX5 9* driver: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Ping G410 2h, 3h, 4h: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Srixon ZX7 5-PW: Recoil 95 (HS + lead tape)
Titleist Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58: Recoil 110
Rife Cayman (+tungsten powder)
Srixon Z-Star Diamond

hold one up to another and u can see they are not the same mullet man they look a lot different that and their put together different but im sure u couldnt be wrong...

150PSP System-Witb

Mazel Chipper PW

Bridgestone e6 Ball

hold one up to another and u can see they are not the same mullet man they look a lot different that and their put together different but im sure u couldnt be wrong...

i take all my previous posts back! it seems that the "hxhot=bite eye test", along with the "hxhot=bite 'played them side-by-side' test" is much more reliable in determining ball design differences than comparing the actual specifications and construction. :rolleyes:

let's try this again.

TM's statements about the Tour Fire:

Construction *75 Compression for soft feel *Maxfli Tour Fire HPF 1000 speedmantle material is faster than competitive tour mantle material *Thin Iothane cover for extraordinary feel and green-grabbing spin. Tour Fire’s 342 Tour dimple design offers vastly superior aerodynamics for tremendous carry and stability through the wind.

TM's statements about the Burner TP:

The Burner® TP ball employs advanced three-piece construction to combine outstanding distance, tour-caliber bite and soft feel. Vital to Burner TP's performance is its HPF 1000 SpeedMantle® which teams with the high-energy / low compression core to limit spin off the driver, and which also teams with the IothaneTM cover to increase spin off the short irons – providing the most spin on approach shots of any TaylorMade ball. Iothane is itself a small miracle, being soft and durable while also promoting excellent spin. The 75-compression count makes Burner TP arguably the softest Tour ball available in the market.

Burner TP also employs a 342-dimple version of TaylorMade's new Low Drag Performance (LDP) pattern to promote improved distance on the most common driver mis-hits, which occur on the upper portion of the clubface. LDP was developed to help golfers achieve longer average driving distance.

no wait, i'm now convinced that TM has packed a lot more technology into the Burner TP! :rolleyes:

i have friends that work for taylormade so im not just winging my info like u are mullet that and i have cut both balls open and they do not look the same...further more the regular burner is not a noodle they still have noodles and they are the noodle plus and noodle lady the tp burner and burner were brand new balls for 08. im not here to argue just bugs me when people give wrong info about products they dont know much about. :russian_roulette: sorry i hurt ur feelings dude but u are wrong wrong...say whatever u want just know their are people who know more than u do about golf products... :clapping:

150PSP System-Witb

Mazel Chipper PW

Bridgestone e6 Ball

i have friends that work for taylormade so im not just winging my info like u are mullet that and i have cut both balls open and they do not look the same...further more the regular burner is not a noodle they still have noodles and they are the noodle plus and noodle lady the tp burner and burner were brand new balls for 08. im not here to argue just bugs me when people give wrong info about products they dont know much about. :russian_roulette: sorry i hurt ur feelings dude but u are wrong wrong...say whatever u want just know their are people who know more than u do about golf products... :clapping:

what about them was different when you cut them open?

please share (different colors don't prove a difference, but different number of layers or thicknesses of the layers would)

I'd hit the tour fire before, and I liked them a lot, now I like the burner TP a lot, they seem to play pretty similarly IMO

the mantle layer is thicker in the burner tp dont get me wrong they are very similar and they do have the same number of dimples but they are aranged differently both great balls but construction is a bit different sorry for argueing wasnt trying to just want people to get the right info...

150PSP System-Witb

Mazel Chipper PW

Bridgestone e6 Ball

i take all my previous posts back! it seems that the "hxhot=bite eye test", along with the "hxhot=bite 'played them side-by-side' test" is much more reliable in determining ball design differences than comparing the actual specifications and construction. :rolleyes:

let's try this again.

TM's statements about the Tour Fire:

Construction *75 Compression for soft feel *Maxfli Tour Fire HPF 1000 speedmantle material is faster than competitive tour mantle material *Thin Iothane cover for extraordinary feel and green-grabbing spin. Tour Fire’s 342 Tour dimple design offers vastly superior aerodynamics for tremendous carry and stability through the wind.

TM's statements about the Burner TP:

The Burner® TP ball employs advanced three-piece construction to combine outstanding distance, tour-caliber bite and soft feel. Vital to Burner TP's performance is its HPF 1000 SpeedMantle® which teams with the high-energy / low compression core to limit spin off the driver, and which also teams with the IothaneTM cover to increase spin off the short irons – providing the most spin on approach shots of any TaylorMade ball. Iothane is itself a small miracle, being soft and durable while also promoting excellent spin. The 75-compression count makes Burner TP arguably the softest Tour ball available in the market.

Burner TP also employs a 342-dimple version of TaylorMade's new Low Drag Performance (LDP) pattern to promote improved distance on the most common driver mis-hits, which occur on the upper portion of the clubface. LDP was developed to help golfers achieve longer average driving distance.

no wait, i'm now convinced that TM has packed a lot more technology into the Burner TP! :rolleyes:

To sk372: Wow for someone that doesn't know the facts, you are quite confident... but still wrong. While they are similar, they are not the same and actually looking at them and playing them is a much better way to arrive at a conclusion that reading marketing blurbs. There are a lot of balls that are similar to each other out there. Every time a company introduces a new version of the same ball, it's not the same. A 2006 ProV1 does not equal a current ProV1. Similar yes, the same no.

The TaylorMade interview (which you probably won't believe either):

"GolfWRX: Now the Tour Fire had quite a few fans on the board is the TP Burner really similar to it? How has it changed?

Dean Snell: You're right the Tour Fire was actually an introduction to create a 3-piece ball that was very soft, something that would be used on Tour. We did a lot of work with John Daly with this at the time. The Burner TP that we're launching right now is a similar design construction to Tour Fire. We've upgraded the core inside so it helps increase the velocity of the ball but we've also added the LDP Technology into the ball. So there's two technologies put into it to upgrade the ball. But for players that like the Tour Fire from a feel and distance point of view and the full spin irons being a little bit higher, the Burner TP would definitely be a ball for them to try that will be close to it in performance."

(Edited because the quote didn't like apostrophes)

Srixon ZX5 9* driver: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Ping G410 2h, 3h, 4h: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Srixon ZX7 5-PW: Recoil 95 (HS + lead tape)
Titleist Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58: Recoil 110
Rife Cayman (+tungsten powder)
Srixon Z-Star Diamond

i have friends that work for taylormade so im not just winging my info like u are mullet that and i have cut both balls open and they do not look the same...further more the regular burner is not a noodle they still have noodles and they are the noodle plus and noodle lady the tp burner and burner were brand new balls for 08. im not here to argue just bugs me when people give wrong info about products they dont know much about. sorry i hurt ur feelings dude but u are wrong wrong...say whatever u want just know their are people who know more than u do about golf products...

more unsubstantiated drivel. i just quoted TaylorMade's very own official statements about the Tour Fire and Burner TP! but you come back with "well, i have friends at TM so i'm not winging my info" and i cut both balls open, and they don't look the same". yah, good one! :russian_roulette:

now Dean Snell states that they're similar, but the Burner TP is an upgrade:

GolfWRX: Now the Tour Fire had quite a few fans on the board is the TP Burner really similar to it? How has it changed?

Dean Snell: You’re right the Tour Fire was actually an introduction to create a 3-piece ball that was very soft, something that would be used on Tour. We did a lot of work with John Daly with this at the time. The Burner TP that we’re launching right now is a similar design construction to Tour Fire. We’ve upgraded the core inside so it helps increase the velocity of the ball but we’ve also added the LDP Technology into the ball. So there’s two technologies put into it to upgrade the ball. But for players that like the Tour Fire from a feel and distance point of view and the full spin irons being a little bit higher, the Burner TP would definitely be a ball for them to try that will be close to it in performance.

however, i still point out that both balls have the *same* number of dimples, and both balls have the *same* compression rating, per TM's official specs. if TM truly wanted to "add" the LDP technology to the Burner TP, why not have the same 360 dimple configuration featured in the 2-piece Burner, TP Red LDP, and TP Black LDP? why stay with 342 dimples? wouldn't it be simpler to adopt the 360 dimple configuration throughout the whole TM line? i maintain that it was simpler and more cost effective for TM to retain the same design for the Tour Fire, especially since the design turned out to be something special in the midrange ball level.

if they changed the core, i don't see how they changed it by much since both balls still have the *same* compression rating. and we already have seen that the cover and mantle formulation remained the same.

oh, btw--the main difference between the Noodle+ and the 2-piece Burner is that the 2-piece Burner has the 360 dimple cover, while the Noodle+ has a 342 dimple cover. hrm . . . 342 dimples, where have we seen that before?

i did some digging, and interestingly, i can't seem to find any patents or patent applications that pertain to TM's "LDP" technology. i *did* find patent applications that definitely seem to pertain to the construction of the TP Red LDP and the Maxfli Fire:

Four Piece Golf Ball

Multi Layer Golf Ball providing improved speed

the second link shows how utilizing DuPont HPF1000 as a mantle material increases the COR of the ball, thereby increasing ball speed.

i did some digging, and interestingly, i can't seem to find any patents or patent applications that pertain to TM's "LDP" technology. i *did* find patent applications that definitely seem to pertain to the construction of the TP Red LDP and the Maxfli Fire:

Four Piece Golf Ball

Multi Layer Golf Ball providing improved speed

the second link shows how utilizing DuPont HPF1000 as a mantle material increases the COR of the ball, thereby increasing ball speed.

This is getting off topic. We have heard the old MaxFLi/BurnerTp argument before. Boring.

Answer to OP: Burner Tp and NXT Tour are both good midlevel balls.

I would also give the nod to the BurnerTP over the NXT. Slightly more durable, bites the green without excessive spin.

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

LGB has burner tp AAAA grade for 9 $... enter code FFSHIP for free shipping (join their newsletter if you havent) the quality is outstanding (im talking about LGB balls as i havent tried these burner TP's YET! Putting in an order for a doz now after this post. Been a nxt tour guy but recently i've felt that the ball feels hard when chipping and putting. I'll try these TP's for 9 bucks a doz.

I tried the Burner TP this weekend and found it to be great in the wind. Held the line well but did not have very much spin around the green. I will continue to test in better weather.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

+1 for the Burner TP... (AKA Tour Fire) ha!... over the NXT Tour. It's as long or longer, spins more, and feels better/softer.

As for the rumors: That one is commonly accepted and passed along. Like the Tour Fire/Burner TP discussion, I've heard that the Exception and the NXT (not the NXT Tour) were the same, numerous times and from numerous sources. Same size, 2-pieces, same # of dimples. The Titleist rep who handles my local shop was quoted by a salesman as saying "for the money the Exception is the best ball we've made in years." So I tended to believe that one. Both actually. Tour Fire's REALLY similar to Burner TP, if it is indeed different.

Burner TP is a great golf ball.

RBZ TP 9.5* RIP'd NV 65
TM R11s - 14* - RIP Alpha 70
TM Rescue '11 TP - RIP 85
Cleveland CG16 Tour - TT DG
Cleveland 588 Forged Wedges
Forged Yes "Callie f" Blade