2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Graphite iron shaft with Steel specs?

JTI

- Is there such a thing?
Im a good standard player and have always used Steel shafts, ive always used Stiff or X stiff iron shafts, at the moment i play KBS stiff shafts in my irons.

So, my problem, recently with the number of rounds i play and the amount of practice balls i hit ive developed a pain in between the knuckles on my right hand....now at the moment its managable and its not too painful. But it got me wondering if i changed to graphite in my irons would it help dampen vibrations and as such stop hurting my right hand as much?

So if i went to graphite are there any on the market that are effectively the same spec as steel shafts, kick point, weight, torque etc, i love how the steel shafts feel, but im worried soon ill have to cut back the amount of golf i play to manage the pain in my hand.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your best option would be the Aerotech Steelfiber. It's a composite shaft that has a graphite "core" and extremely fine steelfibers woven around the entire outside. They're awesome, as long as you get into the right weight and flex.

You should look into the 110 or 125g model. Or better yet, create an ascending weight set using both the 110 in your longer clubs and the 125 in your short irons and wedges. BTW, these actually have a stiffer tip section than the KBS Tour steel. Great shafts for the player who wants dampened vibration and graphite feel from a shaft that will keep spin down with a very stiff tip section.

[quote name='Cwebb' date='07 July 2010 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1278515024' post='2559566']
Your best option would be the Aerotech Steelfiber. It's a composite shaft that has a graphite "core" and extremely fine steelfibers woven around the entire outside. They're awesome, as long as you get into the right weight and flex.

You should look into the 110 or 125g model. Or better yet, create an ascending weight set using both the 110 in your longer clubs and the 125 in your short irons and wedges. BTW, these actually have a stiffer tip section than the KBS Tour steel. Great shafts for the player who wants dampened vibration and graphite feel from a shaft that will keep spin down with a very stiff tip section.
[/quote]

+1 to that. Matt Kutcher plays the 95 gram version so if they're accurate enough for a tour pro then.......................

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

[quote name='marrigo' date='07 July 2010 - 08:08 AM' timestamp='1278515295' post='2559571']

+1 to that. Matt Kutcher plays the 95 gram version so if they're accurate enough for a tour pro then.......................
[/quote]

The 95's are a little softer through the middle and tip sections vs the 110's and 125's. Although not a 'soft profile' by any stretch....they're still nice and stable.

With the 110/125's you may want to lean towards staying down just a touch in flex, since they do run very stiff in the middle and tip. Maybe 1/3 to 1/2 a flex....just depends. Point is, I've never found a graphite shaft with stiffer tip section than these. If that's what you're looking for, look no further....these are them...and they're not over priced either.

[quote name='JamesTimothy' date='07 July 2010 - 08:36 AM' timestamp='1278513409' post='2559519']
Im a good standard player and have always used Steel shafts, ive always used Stiff or X stiff iron shafts, at the moment i play KBS stiff shafts in my irons.

So, my problem, recently with the number of rounds i play and the amount of practice balls i hit ive developed a pain in between the knuckles on my right hand....now at the moment its managable and its not too painful. But it got me wondering if i changed to graphite in my irons would it help dampen vibrations and as such stop hurting my right hand as much?

So if i went to graphite are there any on the market that are effectively the same spec as steel shafts, kick point, weight, torque etc, i love how the steel shafts feel, but im worried soon ill have to cut back the amount of golf i play to manage the pain in my hand.

[/quote]

Fujikura Rombax line has fine near steel spec graphite irons shafts. Graphite might help dampen vibrations further up in the arm, but hands are touchy, as they take the brunt of the impact shock from the turf. If you're a digger - you might think about flattening your swing plan allowing you to sweep/pick the ball more often. That said, I am not convinced tour level graphite iron shafts will help your situation, in part because of near steel specs. Soft graphite shafts on the other hand might be an option.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

There are a number of tour weight graphite iron shafts models to consider in addition to the Aerotech mentioned including the Aldila NV (130 & 105), Graphite Design Tour AD (plus the older GAT), SK Fiber Tour Trac 100, Matrix Studio 94, UST Proforce V2 95 constant weight (on close out). There is also some very high end products available.

Problem with graphite is it is always a costly exercise, shafts are hard to find for testing and it takes the hand of a skilled club builder to get the best from them.

By the way there is also a growing number of heavy weight wedge specific graphite shafts.

I've had that problem in the past and larger grips got rid of that problem and I didn't lose club head speed. Putting the club too much in your fingers, especially with heavy clubs, causes a lot of stress on the joints in your fingers especially the middle joint. The larger grip distributes the stress over all of the joints including the one closest to the rest of the hand and takes some away from the middle one.

Here are a couple graphite shafts that have basically have the identical bend profile and flex of your KBS.

untitled.jpg

The Steelfiber i95 stiff (excellent shaft) is nearly identical as well until you get to the tip section - it has a much stiffer tip compared to the KBS.

[quote name='marrigo' date='07 July 2010 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1278515295' post='2559571']
[quote name='Cwebb' date='07 July 2010 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1278515024' post='2559566']

[/quote]

[/quote]

+2. I think Jack Nicklaus also plays Aerotech iron shafts. He may know a few things, too. [url="http://www.worldgolf.com/newswire/browse/2375-Jack-Nicklaus-using-Aerotech-s-SteelFiber-i95-Shaft"]http://www.worldgolf.com/newswire/browse/2375-Jack-Nicklaus-using-Aerotech-s-SteelFiber-i95-Shaft[/url]

Good luck!

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

Look into getting bigger grips, maybe midsize. I would also investigate having a clubmaker put sensicore inserts into your current irons. I had a customer with similar problems and that cured him. I would consult a clubmaker before putting out a bunch of cash on reshafts that may not be needed.

Cobra F7 11.5' Driver, Matrix Ozik TP-6 S
Cobra Fly Z XL 15' & 18' Fairway Woods with Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Miura Neo 9005G Irons, 5-PW, Project X LZ 5.0
Miura Y & C Grind Wedges 51, 55 & 59. Project X LZ 5.0
Miura KM-009 Putter

Hi James,

I made the switch a couple of years ago due to wrist and shoulder problems from my primary sport (indoor volleyball). I tested quite a few options (UST Constant weight V2, SK Fiber TT 95, UST Rv2 115) and settled on the MFS 115 from Matrix. Great thick walled graphite shaft, plays very similar to KBS Tour for me and has lots of vibration dampening properties. The next thing, I will try, are the new HD iron shafts from Matrix.

Best regards,
Michael

Thanks all for your advice. Sounds like the sensible thing would be to pick up some midsize lamkin 3gen grips and see if that works....then if it doesnt seems i should check out some of the various graphite shafts mentioned. Hopefully the grips will do it because i love the set up in my irons.

In any case, thanks all, much appreciated advice and suggestions!

[quote name='JamesTimothy' date='08 July 2010 - 01:13 AM' timestamp='1278576830' post='2562051']
Thanks all for your advice. Sounds like the sensible thing would be to pick up some midsize lamkin 3gen grips and see if that works....then if it doesnt seems i should check out some of the various graphite shafts mentioned. Hopefully the grips will do it because i love the set up in my irons.

In any case, thanks all, much appreciated advice and suggestions!
[/quote]

When you regrip, put some Prosoft inserts down inside the steel shafts. They work very well for dampening vibration. I prefer the Prosofts over Sensicore.