Any advice on a re-grip of my Spider?

KMeloney ·  
KMeloneyKMeloney Members  5018WRX Points: 308Handicap:[email protected] 7Posts: 5,018 Titanium Tees
Just don't like the feel of the stock grip...
Hey all,

It became really obvious when I was playing in the rain the other day that I don't like the grip on my Spider. The grip's texture is strange feeling to begin with, and feels downright slippery when my hands are sweaty (often). I think the shape is pretty standard, so no real complaints about that. Mainly, it's a texture thing.

So, what new grip have you been enjoying on your Spider? Is there something in particular out there that you think is better suited to the Spider than the stock grip? (Incidentally, my Spider is standard at 34", but has (2) 8-gram weights in the head.)

Thanks!

/< / /2 /<
Posted:

Comments

• medic170979medic170979 Allentown (The Armpit) PAMembers  313WRX Points: 72Handicap: 10Posts: 313 Greens
    I don't have a Spider, but I love the feel and texture of these 3 grips.

Iomic Standard

Scotty Cameron Studio Design

Ping Black Out

They all feel similar to me and I love the thinner stiffer feel than opposed to a spongy Winn.

YMMV
    Posted:
    Ping G30 10.5 (S)
    Ping G30 3wd 15* (S)
    Ping Crossover 3 (S)
    Callaway XR 4 Hydrid 21* (S)
    Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5-PW (1150GH S)
    Mizuno S5 50* & 54* (DG Wedge)
    Mizuno T7 60* (DG Wedge)
    Scotty Futura X 35"
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • oks871oks871 Members  898WRX Points: 87Posts: 898 Golden Tee
    also, the scotty cameron cord grip on the studio selects feel awesome.
    Posted:
  • SemperFi91SemperFi91 Members  746WRX Points: 55Posts: 746 Golden Tee
    I have the 34" Spider putter with the Winn Jumbo grip (check out pics in my autosig). Great feel and looks great in red against the black.
    Posted:
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Ping G400 - 9*
    Ping G30 - 17*

Ping G400 - 19*
    Ping G30 - 22*

Ping G30 - 25*
    TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft
    Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58
    Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights
    [/font]
  • mkerns12mkerns12 Members  238WRX Points: 0Posts: 238
    I love the feel of an iomic grip or a sweet gripmaster stitchback!
    Posted:
  • alaceyalacey Members  114WRX Points: 0Posts: 114
    can't beat the Pingman (or blackout) grips.
    Posted:
  • DbogeyDbogey Members  702WRX Points: 98Handicap: 2Posts: 702 Golden Tee
    SemperFi91 wrote on Sep 22 2008, 08&#58;24 PM:
    I have the 34" Spider putter with the Winn Jumbo grip (check out pics in my autosig). Great feel and looks great in red against the black.

+1- I just put one these grips on my spider and it feels awesome! I was actually having some distance control issues with longer putts (20-30ft) and with the Winn Jumo grip my lag putting has improved dramatically.

DBOGEY
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Tour S
    Ping G400 14.5
    Ping G 19*
    Ping G 22*
    Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
    Power spec
    Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

Advertisement
  • craz-ecraz-e Members  4313WRX Points: 410Handicap: 3Posts: 4,313 Titanium Tees
    I have a mid sized iomic grip on my spider, first time I have used the grip and love it.
    Posted:
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    4 wood = Titleist TS2 Even flow white 6.0
    3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
    Irons = Titleist 718 CB/MB Project X LZ 6.0
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*
                  = Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • QWKDTSNQWKDTSN Dreaming of Bandon Members  2999WRX Points: 3Posts: 2,999 Titanium Tees
    When I first played with an IOmic I was a bit skeptical but now I am totally sold. It has a little different feel and shape than other rubber grips and it is totally worth the cost.

My two favorite grips are GripMaster leather (very tacky, comfortable, all natural leather) and the IOmic.
    Posted:
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members  5018WRX Points: 308Handicap:[email protected] 7Posts: 5,018 Titanium Tees
    I am playing tomorrow, and so I decided (quickly) to go with a Golf Pride red (forget exactly what it's called). It's the same general shape and size as the stock grip, but without that soft-n-slippery scaly feel. This will be kind of the "control" of the experiment, going with something that's like the stock one, but with a better tactile feel. If I'm not digging this, then I'll be looking to go with something a little larger.

So, keep the suggestions coming, 'cause this could be a work in progress. Thanks!

/< / /2 /<
    Posted:
  • mac94mac94 Banned  6321WRX Points: 1Posts: 6,321 BST Banned
    I have a Cameron Studio Design on mine. I like thin grips even though I do not have small hands. I also like Iomics.
    Posted:
  • jcholmanjcholman Members  321WRX Points: 0Posts: 321
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • AcesAZAcesAZ Members  3460WRX Points: 0Posts: 3,460
    craz-e wrote on Sep 23 2008, 12&#58;52 AM:
    I have a mid sized iomic grip on my spider, first time I have used the grip and love it.

Same here, love it. Putting the best in my life and getting better every day. image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />
    Posted:
  • xdhammerbxxdhammerbx Sir Shanx Alot Members  664WRX Points: 0Posts: 664
    i have a black baby T on my spidey.. but i think i may be converting to iomic quite soon...
    Posted:
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members  5018WRX Points: 308Handicap:[email protected] 7Posts: 5,018 Titanium Tees
    AcesAZ wrote on Sep 23 2008, 11&#58;51 PM:

Same here, love it. Putting the best in my life and getting better every day. image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />

You guys having any problems with lag putting with the larger grip? Any problems with leaving things short and feeling like it's due to the increased size of the grip?

Thanks!
    Posted:
  • AcesAZAcesAZ Members  3460WRX Points: 0Posts: 3,460
    KMeloney wrote on Sep 24 2008, 08&#58;18 AM:
    AcesAZ wrote on Sep 23 2008, 11&#58;51 PM:

You guys having any problems with lag putting with the larger grip? Any problems with leaving things short and feeling like it's due to the increased size of the grip?

Thanks!

No not at all, My lag putting is great. I did switch to LHL though (my lag putting use to suck) so I can't say the grip has anything to do with it but I do like the size and feel.
    Posted:
    AcesAZ wrote on Sep 24 2008, 10&#58;44 AM:
    No not at all, My lag putting is great. I did switch to LHL though (my lag putting use to suck) so I can't say the grip has anything to do with it but I do like the size and feel.

Thanks for the full disclosure! I'll see how I do with my Golf Pride red grip today... Might be stepping up to something larger to test out soon.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Bomb and GougeBomb and Gouge Members  2533WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,533
    jcholman wrote on Sep 23 2008, 10&#58;45 PM:

I just put the exact same one on my Spider last night. I plan on taking just 24 putts in today's round. ;-)
    Posted:
  • limsinsianglimsinsiang Members  10WRX Points: 0Posts: 10
    nice thread as i have just bought the spider and hate the grip. SemperFi91 and Dbogey, was wondering what happened to your swing after the grip change as I'm thinking of changing to winn jumbo. Was it shorter and more accurate because of the weight of the grip and did you guys change the weights in the back to get back to the original swing weight?
    Posted:
  • DbogeyDbogey Members  702WRX Points: 98Handicap: 2Posts: 702 Golden Tee
    limsinsiang wrote on Sep 24 2008, 11&#58;21 AM:
    nice thread as i have just bought the spider and hate the grip. SemperFi91 and Dbogey, was wondering what happened to your swing after the grip change as I'm thinking of changing to winn jumbo. Was it shorter and more accurate because of the weight of the grip and did you guys change the weights in the back to get back to the original swing weight?

Nothing changed in my stroke at all. The overall feel of the spider changed. I know it's difficult to explain feel but I'll give it a go. It almost seems as it softened the feel to me. I haven't changed the weights yet, I still have the stock weights in. My club fitter weighed the grip just before he put it on and it weighs about what 2 std. grips would way. My lag putting has improved huge! with the stock grip I was leaving a lot of long putts short but know my distance control is 100% better. From 6ft in it's almost automatic. I haven't had over 28 putts per round with this combo.

I had a buddy try it today and he will be having his grip changed tomorrow.

DBOGEY
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Tour S
    Ping G400 14.5
    Ping G 19*
    Ping G 22*
    Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
    Power spec
    Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright
  • scottyallanbscottyallanb Berkley High School Golf Coach Members  1735WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,735
    Ok if you have an issue with moisture than dont go with the jumbo Winn. I have that on my spider now and when it gets wet it feels like slime. Really slippery. Other than that the Winn is outstanding. For wet conditions nothing that I have used compares to an Iomic.

Scotty B
    Posted:
  • ShoxTPShoxTP Members  695WRX Points: 1Handicap: 4.7Posts: 695 Golden Tee
    I have a GolfPride New Decade Multi-compound on my Donna and it feels great. Has the soft red rubber but also the corded black section. If its too skinny add another wrap of tape or two, works well in the rain. Never did like Winn Grips.
    Posted:
    TM R9 SuperTri TP 8.5° FujiMotoreF1-S
    Ping Isi 3W 15°
    Adams Super 17° Voodooo S
    Ping i20 4-PW CFS-X
    TM TP-Y 52°, Nike Vr 56° 60°
    Yes! Madison 34" SS Flatso

Advertisement
  • craz-ecraz-e Members  4313WRX Points: 410Handicap: 3Posts: 4,313 Titanium Tees
    No problems with lag putting with the mid sized Iomic, all aspects of my putting improved by going over to the spider and the large (ish) grip
    Posted:
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    4 wood = Titleist TS2 Even flow white 6.0
    3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
    Irons = Titleist 718 CB/MB Project X LZ 6.0
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*
                  = Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.