Need to buy a putter, help!

huggbees ·  
huggbeeshuggbees Members  28WRX Points: 0Posts: 28
I just picked up this game two months ago and have been practicing everyday and getting pretty decent. I'm currently using some second-hand Nike Slingshots, used Ping I-Wedges, some unknown driver, and a $15.99 Slotline putter (got it for free so I can't complain). Since I'm still new to the game I've decided to hold off on splurging on new irons, wedges, and driver until I get a better idea of what I need and they do fine for me now. I still shank and chunk the irons occasionally so I don't want to do unnecessary damage to new clubs image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fool:' />

I just took two lessons on short-game and figured the putter would experience the least wear and tear so I want to buy my first real piece of equipment. I prefer a classic putter shape like the Yes! Tracy or Ping Anser, slightly heavier head (not too much), and something that doesn't require customization since I have no idea what I'm doing. Also, with my cheapo Slotline I don't feel like I'm getting any feedback when I hit. Are there putters that provided better feel and distance control? I'm 5'11" if it'll help determine what length shaft I should be using since most putters offer 34"-36" options.

For some reason the two pro-shops at the golf courses where I play don't have any clubs to buy even though they come up as official distributors/retailers, maybe they have to special order it? In this case should I just buy from the manufacturer's site directly? My budget is ~$200 unless there's something significantly better for $50-$75 more then I have no problem digging a little deeper. Thanks and fire away!
Posted:

Comments

• knudson81knudson81 My WITB is $100 but my swing is $.50 Marshals, Media Staffer  3261WRX Points: 292Posts: 3,261 Marshals
    There are so many choices at that price range, it is more about what you like the look and feel of. I would for sure try a few putters out, some with inserts and without, so you can start to tell the difference.
    Posted:
    Make sure to follow Two Guys Talking Golf!

Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

tg2_badgeV2_125.jpg
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • gandorgandor Members  2001WRX Points: 132Handicap: 5.8Posts: 2,001 Platinum Tees
    huggbees wrote on Sep 30 2008, 02:02 PM:
    I just picked up this game two months ago and have been practicing everyday and getting pretty decent. I'm currently using some second-hand Nike Slingshots, used Ping I-Wedges, some unknown driver, and a $15.99 Slotline putter (got it for free so I can't complain). Since I'm still new to the game I've decided to hold off on splurging on new irons, wedges, and driver until I get a better idea of what I need and they do fine for me now. I still shank and chunk the irons occasionally so I don't want to do unnecessary damage to new clubs image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':man_in_love:' />

I just took two lessons on short-game and figured the putter would experience the least wear and tear so I want to buy my first real piece of equipment. I prefer a classic putter shape like the Yes! Tracy or Ping Anser, slightly heavier head (not too much), and something that doesn't require customization since I have no idea what I'm doing. Also, with my cheapo Slotline I don't feel like I'm getting any feedback when I hit. Are there putters that provided better feel and distance control? I'm 5'11" if it'll help determine what length shaft I should be using since most putters offer 34"-36" options.

For some reason the two pro-shops at the golf courses where I play don't have any clubs to buy even though they come up as official distributors/retailers, maybe they have to special order it? In this case should I just buy from the manufacturer's site directly? My budget is ~$200 unless there's something significantly better for $50-$75 more then I have no problem digging a little deeper. Thanks and fire away!

since you stated you can stretch it to $250. this would be a good pick and u could probably use forever image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fool:' /> ping redwood
    Posted:
    SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
    F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
    MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
    MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
    WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
    Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
    Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
    Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
    Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
    Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
    K-Signature
    WITB Link
  • huggbeeshuggbees Members  28WRX Points: 0Posts: 28
    I understand that once you pass a certain price range, it boils down to preference but like I stated for some reason the pro-shops at the golf courses I go to don't have ANY clubs to try out or sell. All they have in the shop are some shirts, balls, gloves, and other miscellaneous equipment.

Thanks for the Ping Redwood suggestion, that was actually one of the ones I was considering.
    Posted:
  • atlanta golferatlanta golfer Members  3598WRX Points: 2Handicap: 7.6Posts: 3,598 Titanium Tees
    Unless you are living in the middle of nowhere (my apologies if you actually do!) then go to a golf superstore or drive an hour or two to get to one. In my area north of Atlanta, we have pga superstore, golfsmith, and a brand new edwin watts, all within 10 miles of my house. These stores all have dozens of putters lined up and large indoor multi hole greens to try them out on. Also, most of these stores have a playability guarantee with a new club as well. You can usually get a putter fitting for free as long as you buy the putter from that store. My advice, for putters, get something decent quality and brand, after that, it is all personal preference. If you think it is a great putter, then it will be. But there is no reason from a performance standpoint, to pay beyond, say, $150 max, unless you are going for a certain image or brand.
    Posted:
  • highergr0undhighergr0und Members  10259WRX Points: 298Posts: 10,259 Titanium Tees
    ping karsten series are about $90 and are very solid, probably the best sub $100 non-insert putter out there. i love mine. The bettinardi c-series are a bit less than $200 and have a heavy version. You can get a ton of putters for less than $100, so if it were me, I'd find something I like around that range and spend the extra $100-150 to replace your unknown brand driver (lots of great deals right now) to get you off the tee. Slingshots are decent, the pings are great, and you'd have a solid bag.
    Posted:
  • bosoxfanbosoxfan Members  1318WRX Points: 55Posts: 1,318 Platinum Tees
    I'd give the TM Spider a try for sure, it rolls the ball nice even you have trouble rolling the ball nice! Find what you want and for the price you are willing to spend you get about whatever on ebay, just my $.02

KH
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • choeppnerchoeppner Blue Ridge, GACharter Members  10370WRX Points: 106Posts: 10,370 Titanium Tees
    There are soo many putters in that price range it's hard to even begin to suggest one.

My Advice though...Buy Used, not new. You'll normally save some $$$$

-Chris
    Posted:

My WITB - April 2020

Driver - TM M2 with Hzardous 6.5

5 Wood - Callaway Epic with Evenflow Stiff

Hybrid - Callaway Mavrik 4

4-9 Iron - Callaway Aprex Pro Black CB's

48,52,56,50 - Custom Paul Casey Wedges

Putter - Custom MACHINE M8 Gooseneck

• MchSt805MchSt805 Members  2101WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,101
    First off, you might get even more advice if the Mods can switch this to the putter forum.

Just to sum up what everyone has said so far into my own advice as well: you're starting off the game, like you said you don't really know what exactly suits your needs yet. So I'd agree with "atlanta_golfer", there are tons of quality putters to be had for the sub $150 range. Again, try to find a shop (Golf Galaxy, PGA Superstop, GolfSmith, etc) that you can test out the newest putters, then buy used to save some hard earned cash. Check the boards here, or Ebay. Half the time you can find what you're looking for brand new still and save 10-20%. I'd give you a suggestion as well, but there's just so many options you should explore rather than going on what works for someone else.
    Posted:
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Driver: Ping G30
    3-Wood: Exotics E8
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
    Irons: TaylorMade R7
    Wedges: Scratch 1018
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5[/font]
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I did some more reading, slow day at work, and I think I'll go with the Ping Karsten series like someone said. Looks like a solid putter and I won't feel guilty about spending all that money image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':fool:' /> The only question now is there are seven models for this series, how do I choose? Also, how long should the shaft be? I used their fitting tool and they recommend a 33.5" shaft since my wrists are 35" from the ground when standing up. Should I err on the safe side and pick a 34" shaft? It also recommended Putter type: Heel Shafted but I'm not sure if I filled in the inquiry correctly.
    Posted:
  • MchSt805MchSt805 Members  2101WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,101
    I'm 6'0" and prefer a 34" putter. Doesn't mean that's the standard for everyone, but based on that a 33.5" or 34" should suit you well IMO. Ping Karsten would be a good option, but actually I did think of another one you may want to consider...

The Mizuno Bettinardi lines. Either the Black Carbon or C lines retail for around $230, but can be had for far cheaper online. Under $150 most likely, I've even seen them in mint condition as low as $90 - $100. Just a thought...
    Posted:
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Driver: Ping G30
    3-Wood: Exotics E8
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
    Irons: TaylorMade R7
    Wedges: Scratch 1018
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5[/font]
    Sweet Baby Jesus the Mizuno Bettinardi BC1 looks so ****. I'd be lying if I said the look wasn't affecting my decision.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ZunesZunes Members  980WRX Points: 0Handicap: 11Posts: 980
    Rife two bar has been the best putter I have played. Incredibly well balanced.

Tried out the Itsy Bitsy Spider the other day and loved it.

I think 35" is standard for normal sized men?
    Posted:
    Callaway GBB Driver
    Callaway GBB 5 wood
    TM Aeroburner 5 hybrids
    Ping Anser irons 6-PW
    Ping I20 UWTI, SW
    Callaway MD PM 58, 64
    Ping Ketch mid heavy
    Callaway Supersoft, Bridgestone extrasoft
  • JeffreySpicoliJeffreySpicoli Members  1957WRX Points: 471Posts: 1,957 Platinum Tees
    Chris gave you excellent advice with the suggestion to buy used.

You can pick up a used Ping Anser off eBay for little money.

Loving a putter is as much about look & feel than anything else. So trying a few(!) used styles might make a lot of sense for you.
    Posted:
  • EmmEmm Members  363WRX Points: 76Posts: 363 Greens
    Ebay

You can buy everthing you need for £120 from a basic Ping Anser or Anser 2 to a more modern Karsten and Redwood.

Yes tracy's are on ebay for less than £60
    Posted:
  • HackerD  HackerD Student of the game Members  3213WRX Points: 185Posts: 3,213 Titanium Tees
    All good posts - not much to add. But . . . I found the Kartsen series Anser a little light and you mentioned wanting some heft in the putter. You may also want a putter with more directional forgiveness than Anser. Spider, Rife Two-bar, Odyssey Two-ball are popular in this category.
    Posted:
    Ping G30 12°
    Adams Tight Lies Ti 3w
    Cally X2 Hot 3-4H
    Mizuno JPX-850 5-GW
    Vokey SM 54.14
    Cally MD PM 58.10
    SC Studio Select Newport 2
  • Bomb and GougeBomb and Gouge Members  2533WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,533
    Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider!

Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • 86020818602081 Members  2055WRX Points: 226Handicap: 10Posts: 2,055 Platinum Tees
    Great Putter

You can't go wrong with Odyssey White Hot XG #7 Putter.

I can't say enough about this putter, it's great.

Golf Galaxy has it on sale for $119.

I'm sure Spider and Sabertooth are great putters also, but I just wanted to share my experience with the #7.

2 additional things:

You can pickup the ball from the ground without bending down.

I noticed that lot of the pros use the this putter.
    Posted:
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members  6800WRX Points: 67Handicap: 9.8Posts: 6,800 Titanium Tees
    Lots of anser styles out there right now and on sale. An older model anser style that someone has on sale will work as well right now as a full priced anser style until you get your technique down.

It's best first to find technique, then find a putter that fits you. Moral of story -- don't spend much right now -- you can spend <$99 for an excellent OTR Putter.

Putter length depends more or less on how upright you want you stance -- bent over or upright? eyes over ball? eyes inside ball? Once again, it's about technique and comfort. I like to save my back from misery so I've adopted a technique that works for speed control and saves my back - hint - it's more upright. If you're not comfortable over the ball with your setup, you won't like the result.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • SemperFi91SemperFi91 Members  746WRX Points: 55Posts: 746 Golden Tee
    Bomb and Gouge wrote on Oct 1 2008, 05&#58;01 AM:
    Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider!

+1. I haven't putted so good since putting it in my bag.
    Posted:
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Ping G400 - 9*
    Ping G30 - 17*

Ping G400 - 19*
    Ping G30 - 22*

Ping G30 - 25*
    TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft
    Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58
    Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights
    [/font]
  • daydreamerdaydreamer Members  629WRX Points: 0Posts: 629
    I'm barely 5'6" and I like using a 34".
    Posted:
    I've heard nothing but great things about the Spider but it seems like a lot of people are claiming or joking that the putter does most of the work and doesn't really provide great feedback, it just makes the ball go really really straight. I think I'd rather get something that I can improve with and learn the nuances of putting. Plus that thing is ugly to look and I think I'd be more comfortable with a traditional blade style putter. Anymore suggestions before I bite the bullet on a Ping Karsten?

Edit: Off topic but are there any small practice bags that can hold a couple clubs (5-6) I can use when I'm just going to the driving range or putting green? I usually only bring a couple clubs and leave em on the ground/grass cause I don't feel like carrying around a carry/cart bag.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Advertisement
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members  6800WRX Points: 67Handicap: 9.8Posts: 6,800 Titanium Tees
    huggbees wrote on Oct 1 2008, 11&#58;46 AM:
    I've heard nothing but great things about the Spider but it seems like a lot of people are claiming or joking that the putter does most of the work and doesn't really provide great feedback, it just makes the ball go really really straight. I think I'd rather get something that I can improve with and learn the nuances of putting. Plus that thing is ugly to look and I think I'd be more comfortable with a traditional blade style putter. Anymore suggestions before I bite the bullet on a Ping Karsten?

Edit: Off topic but are there any small practice bags that can hold a couple clubs (5-6) I can use when I'm just going to the driving range or putting green? I usually only bring a couple clubs and leave em on the ground/grass cause I don't feel like carrying around a carry/cart bag.

Just find out whether you want a center shafted Anser or the traditional shaft towards the heel.

Ping, Mizuno, Sun Mountain all have a Scratch Bag - take a look at their websites for the bags. I will say that I prefer a very lite weight stand bag for such purpose only for the fact that they have stiffening rods that hold the bag up to make it easier to slide clubs in and out of the bag.
    Posted:
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • maggotmaggot Members  576WRX Points: 0Posts: 576
    huggbees wrote on Oct 2 2008, 02&#58;46 AM:

As far as the bag goes, I have a brand new one of these you can have for $50 plus shipping

t-80singlestrap-baltic.jpg

As for the putter, have a look at the Never Compromise exchange series. They can be had for cheap and have adjustable weights so you can work out what weight you like and then buy something better down the track.
    Posted:
  • blueyedspeedemonblueyedspeedemon Members  35WRX Points: 0Posts: 35
    I'd second the Ping Karsten series and put the extra money into the other clubs. It's a nice selection of different putter styles for $90.

Austin
    Posted:
    Alrighty thanks for your help everyone. My bags gonna look pretty nice now. I bought a Ping Karsten Anser 2 for $60, Ping G10 Driver for $212.50, and an Ogio Vaporlite White/Navy bag for $98.00. Ebay FTW! Once I stop shanking the ball I'll replace my Nike Slingshots and I'll be all set! Too bad my new toys won't be here in time for the weekend.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.