Tiger's book: The 1997 Masters

ShutSteepStuck

Enjoying it thus far.

Certainly can't psychologize the guy but I won't let that stop me from trying..

In spite of his many physical woes, I get the sense from reading the book that Tiger's love for the game, and the great joy he takes in competing have to be major factors toward his desire to tee it up on Tour sometime in the future.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to my copy arriving.

On that note, I just checked Amazon to see when it might be with me and there is another book - Unprecedented: The Masters and Me which is also a Tiger and Rubenstein book and the cover aside, looks exactly the same. Is that just the same book with a different title?

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Looking forward to my copy arriving.

On that note, I just checked Amazon to see when it might be with me and there is another book - Unprecedented: The Masters and Me which is also a Tiger and Rubenstein book and the cover aside, looks exactly the same. Is that just the same book with a different title?

Yep!

Got mine today - one is surprise Tiger fan daughter who is coming for a visit this weekend!

Yeah they are. I think it may have something to do with UK law. Shane Ryan took out a book a couple of years ago and he had to release a UK and a US version for that reason.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

On the fence about getting it. Seen a couple of reviews like this>

http://www.golfdiges...is-landmark-win

But just as he was then, Woods writes 20 years later with some cautious distance, holding back a layered emotion here, a reflected wisdom there, a deeper set of truths that he’s still locked away in his heart, mind and soul. Woods may or may not be a control freak, but at his best he was always in control of himself and almost any situation. There’s a wish that he might allow himself, now, after all the triumph and tumult of the last two decades, to let loose a little more completely in these pages, to paint for us a picture of a vivid technicolor life, but this time using colors only he knows.

http://www.golf.com/...he-was-thinking

Tiger's new Masters book lacks one crucial element: What Tiger was really thinking

And with that, let's turn to page 7 in the first chapter, where Woods writes about Arnold Palmer and his Bay Hill tournament, which the golfer-turned-author has won eight times, Arnold there to greet him each time in victory just off the final green. Woods writes:

"I was sad when he died on September 25, 2016, and I thought of all those times behind the eighteenth green. Arnold meant so much to the game, and I'll never forget our friendship and his counsel to me over the years. Looking back, I know he fired me up the week before the [1997] Masters."

Those are not sentences that should be published in a book written for sentient adults. It is right there that the editor should note in the margins of the author's manuscript, How, how, how, how? Show, show, show, show! It is there, in the writing phase, that the author must ask, Can I go deeper here? Because the truth is so obvious. Arnold is dead. He half-invented the tournament that defines this book. You (Tiger) logged a lot of time with him, and you're giving him some of the credit for your most important win. You can't say enough here. Instead, we are presented with one shaggy paragraph.

I wouldn't bring this up if it were an isolated incident. It's not.

But just as he was then, Woods writes 20 years later with some cautious distance, holding back a layered emotion here, a reflected wisdom there, a deeper set of truths that he’s still locked away in his heart, mind and soul. Woods may or may not be a control freak, but at his best he was always in control of himself and almost any situation. There’s a wish that he might allow himself, now, after all the triumph and tumult of the last two decades, to let loose a little more completely in these pages, to paint for us a picture of a vivid technicolor life, but this time using colors only he knows.

Tiger's new Masters book lacks one crucial element: What Tiger was really thinking

And with that, let's turn to page 7 in the first chapter, where Woods writes about Arnold Palmer and his Bay Hill tournament, which the golfer-turned-author has won eight times, Arnold there to greet him each time in victory just off the final green. Woods writes:

"I was sad when he died on September 25, 2016, and I thought of all those times behind the eighteenth green. Arnold meant so much to the game, and I'll never forget our friendship and his counsel to me over the years. Looking back, I know he fired me up the week before the [1997] Masters."

Those are not sentences that should be published in a book written for sentient adults. It is right there that the editor should note in the margins of the author's manuscript, How, how, how, how? Show, show, show, show! It is there, in the writing phase, that the author must ask, Can I go deeper here? Because the truth is so obvious. Arnold is dead. He half-invented the tournament that defines this book. You (Tiger) logged a lot of time with him, and you're giving him some of the credit for your most important win. You can't say enough here. Instead, we are presented with one shaggy paragraph.

I wouldn't be surprised if Arnie, or anyone save his father, meant very little to Tiger at all. Tiger cares about Tiger. I say that wistfully, not hatefully.

I wouldn't be surprised if Arnie, or anyone save his father, meant very little to Tiger at all. Tiger cares about Tiger. I say that wistfully, not hatefully.

You would also be saying it incorrectly. Dont give up your day job for psychiatry.

You would also be saying it incorrectly. Dont give up your day job for psychiatry.

Fair enough. But if I'm unable to "diagnose" him, how are you able to, respectfully?

I think Arinie, Jack mean a lot to TW. Besides the fact that they have always encouraged him, they stuck by him after the scandal. And they are 2 of the very few who have any idea what it's like to be where TW has been. The spotlight, the expectations.

They were/are comrades, so I would be surprised if Arnie didn't mean a great deal to TW.

tiger-arnold.jpeg?quality=85&w=550

But, unfortunately for us, TW does not seem to be ready or willing to really open up about things.

Fair enough. But if I'm unable to "diagnose" him, how are you able to, respectfully?

Because Tiger's actions and interactions with Arnie speak louder than your words.

Don't let a review by Bamberger get to you. He is ultra critical because he writes golf books and surprise, he didn't get to write this one.

It's a short book about one tournament and not a complete autobiography. Probably just tossed that into the book at the last minute because of Arnold's passing.

It's a sports book, for a limited purpose, and like most such sports books it isn't all that deep.

Bamberger's Men In Green is a great book. Not the deepest read in the world by the standard he is trying to impose on Rubenstein (and he knows the author is driving the content, not Tiger). Tiger wasn't included as a living legend with ties to Augusta. Strange omission. I'm guessing Bamberger couldn't get access for new quotes from Tiger, maybe a little axe to grind, maybe not.

Don't let a review by Bamberger get to you. He is ultra critical because he writes golf books and surprise, he didn't get to write this one.

It's a short book about one tournament and not a complete autobiography. Probably just tossed that into the book at the last minute because of Arnold's passing.

It's a sports book, for a limited purpose, and like most such sports books it isn't all that deep.

Bamberger's Men In Green is a great book. Not the deepest read in the world by the standard he is trying to impose on Rubenstein (and he knows the author is driving the content, not Tiger). Tiger wasn't included as a living legend with ties to Augusta. Strange omission. I'm guessing Bamberger couldn't get access for new quotes from Tiger, maybe a little axe to grind, maybe not.

Thanks for the perspective.

It's just that just one time, one time, I'd love to hear TW talk like exactly what was in his brain, like totally stream of consciousness (if that is the right word)

His version of this for example>

When I come out I have supreme confidence. But I'm scared to death. I'm afraid. I'm afraid of everything. I'm afraid of losing. I'm afraid of being humiliated. But I'm confident. The closer I get to the ring the more confident I get. The closer, the more confident. All during training I've been afraid of this man. I think this man might be capable of beating me. I've dreamed of him beating me. For that I've always stayed afraid of him. The closer I get to the ring the more confident I get. Once I'm in the ring I'm a god. No one could beat me. I walk around the ring but I never take my eyes off my opponent….During the fight I'm supremely confident. I'm making him miss and I'm countering. I'm hitting him to the body; I'm punching him real hard. And I'm punching him, and I'm punching him, and I know he's gonna take my punches. He goes down, he's out. I'm victorious. Mike Tyson, greatest fighter that ever lived."

Mike Tyson

Thanks for the perspective.

It's just that just one time, one time, I'd love to hear TW talk like exactly what was in his brain, like totally stream of consciousness (if that is the right word)

His version of this for example>

When I come out I have supreme confidence. But I'm scared to death. I'm afraid. I'm afraid of everything. I'm afraid of losing. I'm afraid of being humiliated. But I'm confident. The closer I get to the ring the more confident I get. The closer, the more confident. All during training I've been afraid of this man. I think this man might be capable of beating me. I've dreamed of him beating me. For that I've always stayed afraid of him. The closer I get to the ring the more confident I get. Once I'm in the ring I'm a god. No one could beat me. I walk around the ring but I never take my eyes off my opponent….During the fight I'm supremely confident. I'm making him miss and I'm countering. I'm hitting him to the body; I'm punching him real hard. And I'm punching him, and I'm punching him, and I know he's gonna take my punches. He goes down, he's out. I'm victorious. Mike Tyson, greatest fighter that ever lived."

Mike Tyson

FYI, daughter is reading today and she says a Bamberger is FOS and must not have read it all, because Tiger gives some appopriate insights into quite a few things personal and related to the tournament.