List of 8802 style putters

william9780

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

f you wanna know if your 8802 is an original or a remake, place a nickel on the face. If the face is taller than a nickel it is a remake. if it is the same size it is an original.

Yeah, I have heard that one overpar. I don't think mine is an original, original (if you know what I mean). It doesn't have the original grip (with the flags?). Also, over here in Australia Nickels are a bit thin on the ground to test it :)

Either way, I love all 4 of my 8802 style putters, especially the Old Master W802's. They are gorgeous. And my collection has just become a family of 5 as I've just received my Wilson 8813. I'll have to update the family photo to include it...

You have a great collection Bro?!!

I usually refer to the first 8802 as either "THE" Wilson 8802 if in print or stressing "THE" if speaking as there are thousands and thousands of "Original" stamped 8802's out there and most are legit Wilson products as they indeed did have that on later releases however having most of the Wilson/Staff blades from the last 45-50 years, I'd go with either the 8813(the Staff edition of the 8802, though ironically the 8802, which started out in Sears, K-Mart, etc, would replace or sit along side the 8813 in Pro shops, both private and public and outsell it almost 5:1, lol), one of the Memdrellas or the 8843.

I did a comparative below with the most recently released 8802(2014), and it is slightly heavier at 335gr to 330gr and a slightly larger head/face(see nickel test, haha) however the biggest difference is the double milled face. This is a top shelf putter and feels better than any of my Napas(I've got 4 and the only one that was really in my rotation was the '06 LE) and is on par with my Black Series TS #8. Also, the 8802 is retired because of the signature scribbled across the face, lol. I went into my MRI with it in my hospital room and came out 45 minutes later with it signed and in her hands as she had surprised me with my second autograph ever. I'm glad that she did because I never would have asked him.

I also included the brass 8843 as this was in my rotation until 2012 when I "lost" it. Madison just found it in the back of my cedar closet when cleaning it out, lol. This is a great putter and I putt with it every evening however as the address shot shows, it's a blade's blade and there ain't a lot of metal around the ball though I love that in my putters and irons(Fg 59's) cuz that means that there's less surface area for my soory arse stroke and swing to put the ball on, lol

Have a great day my Friend?

RP

Nice collection, Richard...hope that you are doing well.

My collection are all pretty war-torn, as they were never "kept" to be pretty.

But, I have one of most of what everyone here has.

But, my pride and joy is an old Tommy Armour Silver Scot Ironmaster with the original green shaft and leather grip...not the reproduction from the early 80's, but this one is original from the 1930's. While not a true "8802" style, it was certainly the precursor for most of the conceptualized designs incorporating the rear flange...and, mine DOES pass the nickel test.

Which was important, as this kept the center of gravity of the head below the center of gravity of the ball, producing a more predictable roll. And the metal in this head...when I hear the term "buttery soft"...well, let me tell you, this is some really soft steel (or iron).

I found it sitting in a member's bag back in 1980 (along with about 8 or 10 other putters....obviously, this guy didn't feel too good about his putting game)....anyhow, I digress.

The head was all bent, scraped and rusted. I sent it in to Maltby for a straightening and re-chroming (which I know, took some of the "value" away from it). It provides my so much feedback from contact that no modern putters seem to do. I'll see if I can find pics of it.

Another putter not mentioned in this thread is the Shamrock Model 101 (and, if it was mentioned, my apologies).

Modeled after the 8802, Shamrock introduced this club in the mid/late 70's, and even though is was purported to be cast, it was (and still is) one of the softest feeling putters I've ever used.

I know I have pictures of this one.

Great lookin putter Bro!! Nice story!!

Pete had one also that was given to him by Mr. Armour as I've said before, Pete did his Apprenticeship under Mr. Armour and he was a Mentor and life-long friend of Pete's till his passing.

He actually gave Pete two and at his passing his son took one and his daughter wanted to give me the other however I asked if if I could please put it in Pete's casket as he used that putter for over 50+ years and that was his baby and no way it shouldn't have gone with him. She said fine, and she also let me put his '71 Button Back 7i in with it as along with being from his bag, and he Played the BB's into the '90's, he always carried it with him to a lesson and even when Madison and I went to his house for a lesson near the end when he could only sit on his porch in the rocker, that 7i was with him, leaning against the rocker, unless he was gripping and regripping it or waving it around, chirpin at me about something.

That putter is an amazing club Aug's!!

I bet it's been a part of some incredible memories :)

Thanks for sharing!

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I see that Cleveland has been mentioned and though they were given hooyas for their wedges, they were a very low key under pubbed OEM when it came to their irons(blades) and putters(blades), which were both World Class!

I've gotta few of their putters however my top 3 and the first was the BeCu, which was in my four blade rotation until I "lost" it in 2012 when it somehow ended up in a closet and got burried, only to be found a few weeks ago by Madison when she was cleaning out my closets, lol. This is one sweet blade!!

Next was the Cleve "Designed by Ben Crenshaw," which is the putter model that he used in his "miracle" at Augusta as his 8802 snapped above the head in the beginning of Master's week that year. This is a first run edition, which is both forged and milled.

The third is this first run(forged and milled, later editions were not forged then last releases were neither forged nor milled) "Designed By."

Have a nice day/evening Gents?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Couldn't resist putting up my (growing) collection of 8802 style putters.

2x Old Masters, one buffed up one original, an actual "The Wilson 8802" and a Yonex Super ADX Tour Preferred.

I also have a Wilson 8813 on the way.

One of the Old Masters is about to have a leather wrap grip done (actually old school wrapped by someone, not pre-purchased. Should look great).

Beautiful putters this style.

IMG_4986_zpsaxzmp7w7.jpg

IMG_4987_zpsfmphutqs.jpg

Out of interest how does the Wilson compare in feel/performance to the Yonex? I've had the Yonex in the bag for 20 years and love it, but I am very conscious of the fact that if the sun is at the wrong angle I have to putt with my eyes closed - might work for Jordan, less good for me :)

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

MIURA KM008

The 008 is indeed a classic and I had its predecessor, the Series 1957 KM-350, however It did not out perform the putter that it was patterned after and based on, the Mac VIP Model 600(which Miura-San actually had) and I sold it when a fan boi almost had a stroke when he overheard me saying that it was not goin into my bag but instead into the closet, lol. He offered me more than I paid so it was a no brainer.

This 600 and the TFP90-01 are part of a four putter set(all are forged), with these two were my favorites and as I wasn't a Mac Boy(Sorry STU, Pete could tolerate me hittin their putters & woods but irons were a no go?), I sold the other two. These two are incredible and the I rotated the 600 with the Staff 8843 above and like the 8843, I liked the shorter heel-toe length of the putter and that leather paddle grip is the best and the sound is to die for?

Make no mistake, the 008 and the KM-350 before it are sweet arse putters however also to be noted is that the original from 45+ years ago can still go toe to toe with em!

Plus, come on, how many flat sticks have ya seen with a ferrule??

Have a great day/evening Gents?

My Best?

RP

Played with a gentleman recently, had to be in his 60's and used an "OLD PING". Said it was all hes ever had and it looked that way. It was almost black with a spot off center that was pretty clean/worn. I didnt think to take a picture but I will if I ever meet up with him again. It was probably the ugliest Ping putter I've ever seen but it was beautiful in its own way. I was witness to a 23 putt performance with about a mile of distance made lol.

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1

MIURA KM008

The 008 is indeed a classic and I had its predecessor, the Series 1957 KM-350, however It did not out perform the putter that it was patterned after and based on, the Mac VIP Model 600(which Miura-San actually had) and I sold it when a fan boi almost had a stroke when he overheard me saying that it was not goin into my bag but instead into the closet, lol. He offered me more than I paid so it was a no brainer.

This 600 and the TFP90-01 are part of a four putter set(all are forged), with these two were my favorites and as I wasn't a Mac Boy(Sorry STU, Pete could tolerate me hittin their putters & woods but irons were a no go��), I sold the other two. These two are incredible and the I rotated the 600 with the Staff 8843 above and like the 8843, I liked the shorter heel-toe length of the putter and that leather paddle grip is the best and the sound is to die for��

Make no mistake, the 008 and the KM-350 before it are sweet arse putters however also to be noted is that the original from 45+ years ago can still go toe to toe with em!

Have a great day/evening Gents��

My Best��

RP

First off glad to see you are up and posting again I was worried about you. To be honest I am not a Mac fan boy when it comes to their putters even though I have several (WTH? they are Mac ain't they). Now I do love the old Tommy Armour Mac putters that have the green pyratone shaft even though I do not own one. When I putt with an "8802" style it is my old Cleveland Designed By. In fact I played 18 holes in a little informal vintage tournament last Sunday afternoon and used it. Putted pretty darn good with it made a couple of putts but scared the hole quite a few times with it. Was also playing my 52/54 era Bob Toski Mac irons and one of my Penna persimmon drivers.

I do have one IM-5 Ironmaster that the man who instilled the love of Mac clubs gave me. That thing was red hot for 3 months during the summer of 72. We ended up loosing him a couple of years later. I named that putter "Kenny" in his honor. It will never go anywhere as long as I am breathing. BTW I like that Neuman grip on your putter in the picture. My Designed By is just a regular putter not the "Crenshaw" version

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Couldn't resist putting up my (growing) collection of 8802 style putters.

2x Old Masters, one buffed up one original, an actual "The Wilson 8802" and a Yonex Super ADX Tour Preferred.

I also have a Wilson 8813 on the way.

One of the Old Masters is about to have a leather wrap grip done (actually old school wrapped by someone, not pre-purchased. Should look great).

Beautiful putters this style.

IMG_4986_zpsaxzmp7w7.jpg

IMG_4987_zpsfmphutqs.jpg

Out of interest how does the Wilson compare in feel/performance to the Yonex? I've had the Yonex in the bag for 20 years and love it, but I am very conscious of the fact that if the sun is at the wrong angle I have to putt with my eyes closed - might work for Jordan, less good for me :)

Bodhi, I'm not really a good enough putter/player to give a definitive to that mate.

But I love talking about them, so I'll try anyway :)

I've got 5x 8802 styles now. 2x Old Master W802's, The Wilson 8802, an 8813 and the Yonex.

One Old Master has the original cracked grip and this is my favorite of the lot. 'Feels' the most pure and soft of the lot. But there's not much in it.

I'd possibly put the Yonex next in line, then the Wilson 8802, the other OM and finally the 8813. The Yonex has a graphite shaft which probably helps with a soft feel.

Bear in mind the difference between softest and harshest is very minimal to me (and I've probably made some of it up in my mind), and these putters are all a bit 'harsh' and clicky compared to a lot of newer putters like my Betti BB1 (that I play with most and other posters say is harsh, but I find mine buttery) , a Lajosi Mallet and my Scotty Monterey (reeeal soft).

As for "playability" or performance. Again my original Old Master comes out tops. But I don't play often enough with the others to give a decent answer. I do regularly "carpet putt" with them and rotate between them and honestly they are all pretty equal in those conditions.

For me, I have started collecting these type putters just because I just love the way they look. Classic, simple, no lines, no dots (except my 8813) no gimmicky bits. I am just starting to transition to them being my main playing putters. When I do, I'll probably rotate between them all. They make a good talking point during a round.

I have an 8802 that I used for a few years in the mid to late 1970's. I have a MacGregor Nicklaus / George Low 600 reproduction of the Wizard 600 that was produced in early 1990's I believe. This putter is near mint and has a great feel. Also have a Ping Sedona and a Cleveland Designed By. Last year I acquired a Cleveland Designed By Ben Crenshaw head. It was a brand new raw head that came from the Cleveland factory. I had an old shaft installed and a Scotty Cameron grip added. This putter has a really soft feel. The raw carbon steel with the old shaft has turned out to be a great combination.

• 4 weeks later...

Lajosi LP808 with a custom made Best Grips leather grip. My current gamer!

lajosi1.jpg

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Probably a much better feeling Napa, lol

Ya can't beat Zach's Grips or putter covers~

Beautiful stick?

Below is a putter cover done by Zach and one of my two favorite covers(I've got over 125, lol)

He's top notch and a Class Act?

My Best

The Tadster........?

In address it sits second only to my 8802

Feel???

Hahaha, it's niiiiiiiiiiice?

The Napa?

Yea, right??

Have a nice evening/day Gents?

RP