List of 8802 style putters

william9780

[quote name='william9780' timestamp='1428887704' post='11344111']
I only use 8802 style putters, and I think they are the best design ever. I also have a putter purchasing addiction and always looking to find new ones to play or collect. I wanna compile a list of 8802 style blades over the years and hopefully others like me can add to the list and we can stumble upon ones we didnt know existed. I will start here goes.
8802*
Arnold Palmer designed by
cleveland designed by*
cleveland 1905
cobra cnc model 88*
tear drop td42
rife bimini*
scotty cameron napa series
odyssey black series tour design 8*
odyssey pt82
odyssey metal x 8
odyssey white hot 8
macgregor hoylake
macgregor ironmaster
macgregor jack nicklaus 271*
macgregor tourney?
Yes sophia
ping tess
northwestern tom weiskopf ts54*
spalding tpm?
wilson 8882
wilson 8802 2014 model*
snake eyes sv1
snake eyes viper
yonex?
thats all i can think of. Asterisks next to my collection. What have i missed? I prefer no sight line, no insert, but wont descriminate. The new wilson is too heavy for me, I prefer old light weight styles. My rife is my gamer and is surprisingly light. TD42 is at top of my list. Hoping you guys show me new treasures to add to my christmas list. Unfortunately i can only dream about napas and boutique putters cuz im a putter ho on a budget.
[/quote]

on a budget

tour edge tizone
Yes! Morgan
Tad Moore Copper Classic (barn find if ok with around 250-350)
Tad Moore Hoffman Forged
tad moore majic 88
Dunlap C3
Bobby Grace 2200
john byron omg (around 100-150)
Betti ss6 or bc7 cheaper than bb2
Taylormade b11 nubbins
Maxfli crossbax 1.0
Ray Cook Blue goose VIII
Prairie Blade Copper Blade
Carbite ZL Blade
Sizemore C-2
yes Sophia II
DLR hog retro 2
Slotline Classix 9802

Of course lamont, byron, kari, lumpy etc can all make you a great putter for way less than you think

Cheers and good luck

Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if anyone said it yet but the YES Sophia(The stick that Jim Furyk picked up for $30 or $40 out of a barrel and won his Fed Ex Cup with) which is a sweet putter and then YES also has basically the Sophia in a Milled model, though I don't recall the name of it.

Later Ed/04/28/15, 8:56pm-> LMAO, the Sophia is listed right above me. Sorry. Meds kicked in and I'm brain dead :) Have a nice evening/day :) RP II

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Plop made one with a milled face and a mouse engraving on the sole

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

Titlest Tour Model Heel Shafted Offset from the 80s. I've got two and one was my go to putter for a long time.

Scratch came out with a James Ingles blade a few years ago and I picked one up and it's been in the bag since.

Bettinardi BB2 & Cameron Napa are pretty good.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

Old Master W802. Slighly heavier than others back in the day. I have a Wilson 8802 as well and there is a noticeable difference. Both are from the early/mid 80s.

I just refinished the W802 and it's wonderful carbon steel last year for posterity since it was my first putter. I should probably use the thing instead of letting it sit in my backup bag with 10 other putters. Here is a pic of it-

• 1 year later...

Spalding Blue Chip

Ping Sedona

TaylorMade SP81

I'm not sure how long this putter has been available, as I remember searching for one way long ago. However, just stumbled upon her beautiful face in the TM Vault!

http://taylormadegolf.com/Ghost-Tour-SP.81/DW-WZ768-10.html#start=3

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

Here's my Old Master W802.

Was originally very, very "patina'd" (is that a word) which I didn't mind, but also had many, many bad bumps and dings, especially on the top line.

So I made the decision (after much soul searching) to give her a buff up. I left the face as is, with all it's war wounds and colour showing it's history. But the sole and back has come up a treat. Been 3 weeks of evenings hammering, filing and sanding out the bad gouges. Then going from 80, to 200 to 400 to 1200 grade sand papers. Still to do 2400 and then buff with steel wool. The colour is fantastic a nice deep gold.

Looking pretty good so far imho. And she still putts lovely.

Feedback welcome. Was this sacrilege, or worth prettying up an old lady?

IMG_4860_zpsvohfc7eb.jpg

IMG_4857_zpsjpv3ig6h.jpg

IMG_4855_zps8nodwabx.jpg

Recently gifted to me.....

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I don't know if anyone said it yet but the YES Sophia(The stick that Jim Furyk picked up for $30 or $40 out of a barrel and won his Fed Ex Cup with) which is a sweet putter and then YES also has basically the Sophia in a Milled model, though I don't recall the name of it.

Later Ed/04/28/15, 8:56pm-> LMAO, the Sophia is listed right above me. Sorry. Meds kicked in and I'm brain dead :) Have a nice evening/day :) RP II

Richard

I just picked up a Yes! Sophia and I am stunned at what a soft feeling a putter it is.

There's just something about these 8802 putters....

Richard

I just picked up a Yes! Sophia and I am stunned at what a soft feeling a putter it is.

I'll echo this. Nice and soft feeling, and those C-Grooves really put a good forward roll on the ball.

Richard

That Sophia is my fave Yes putter even over the forged/milled model and also my Tour Yes. That is a great putter!

Enjoy it Bro?

My Best,

RP

OP, if you prefer lighter, I'd recommend any of Tad Moore's models. I think his heaviest will be about 335g and a lot will be closer to 320g in an 8802 style. The Tour Classic/Barn Find should be a "must have" for just about everyone.

Also, albeit pricier, look for a TP Mills handmade (preferably one of the Hoffman forgings that has the flared tip) as they will also be lighter than most.

The early Bettinardi BB2 models were not too portly either. Later ones will tip the scales closer to 345-365g.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

The #8 Odyssey Black is a super sweet putter coming in at 330(my two were spot on) and the feel is fantastic, for me at least, better than my Napas. I've gotta Spalding Mills around here somewhere. How in the hell can I lose a putter when I've only gotta hospital room and a tiny bathroom, lol. I got issues, lol

I can't find the putter but here are some older pics with My Man Stapleton, lol. Don't let the age fool ya, like the 8802 and 13, if you gotta stroke, this baby's wicked nice. Light also. This was the first numbered series, Circa 1984, with the prior series being all right handed with Roman numerals running I through IX and the following release(1984) being numbered 1-14, with no #13, #14 was mallet style and #10 was a left handed model.

All the Best,

RP

• 1 month later...

Couldn't resist putting up my (growing) collection of 8802 style putters.

2x Old Masters, one buffed up one original, an actual "The Wilson 8802" and a Yonex Super ADX Tour Preferred.

I also have a Wilson 8813 on the way.

One of the Old Masters is about to have a leather wrap grip done (actually old school wrapped by someone, not pre-purchased. Should look great).

Beautiful putters this style.

IMG_4986_zpsaxzmp7w7.jpg

IMG_4987_zpsfmphutqs.jpg

How do Odyssey 9's compare to this style?

I've just taken the Works #9 out of my bag and put the Yonex back in - the #9 is very similar, easier to align at address thanks to the alignment aids, but I find the Yonex easier to keep aligned through the stroke, and much prefer the feel off the face - the Odyssey always felt a little dead after the blade.

The #9 is more like the Wilson TPA, which was pretty much an 8802 combined with a Ping Anser.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Thanks. Odyssey refers to the 9 as a blade, but I've seen similar styles referred to as mid mallet. Been thinking about ditching my Marksman Fang for a #9 or Tess...just a little unsure if I want to go heel shafted putter....

Same series as my #8 above. This whole line was an incredible collection of putters and while you have to keep your eyes open to snag a pristine #8 on-line, you can still get 9's in the wrapper. I had a brand new Del Mar that I gave away after rolling the #9 as occasionally I would go with a heel shafted hemi/mid mallet if I got too wristy and for me, the feel of the Black #8 and 9 blew away the Napa and Del Mar, though I did keep my Napas, hahaha.

Have a great week My Friend?

RP

Best I've ever seen

LaMont Mann 6626 #2/5

365 gms with extra offset

4* loft

Extra milling lines as an alignment aid.

http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=38507.0;attach=231115;image

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

2x Old Masters, one buffed up one original, an actual "The Wilson 8802" and a Yonex Super ADX Tour Preferred.

One of the Old Masters is about to have a leather wrap grip done (actually old school wrapped by someone, not pre-purchased. Should look great).

If you wanna know if your 8802 is an original or a remake, place a nickel on the face. If the face is taller than a nickel it is a remake. if it is the same size it is an original.

IMG_4986_zpsaxzmp7w7.jpg

IMG_4987_zpsfmphutqs.jpg

IMG_4986_zpsaxzmp7w7.jpg

IMG_4987_zpsfmphutqs.jpg

Ping Sedona F was the only one I ever truly thought about. The original WRX putter with 125 ti/ni pixels over a balata like backing.

I have the Darby F. But seriously wanted the Sedona to go with it. It was beautiful

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

f you wanna know if your 8802 is an original or a remake, place a nickel on the face. If the face is taller than a nickel it is a remake. if it is the same size it is an original.

Yeah, I have heard that one overpar. I don't think mine is an original, original (if you know what I mean). It doesn't have the original grip (with the flags?). Also, over here in Australia Nickels are a bit thin on the ground to test it :)

Either way, I love all 4 of my 8802 style putters, especially the Old Master W802's. They are gorgeous. And my collection has just become a family of 5 as I've just received my Wilson 8813. I'll have to update the family photo to include it...

f you wanna know if your 8802 is an original or a remake, place a nickel on the face. If the face is taller than a nickel it is a remake. if it is the same size it is an original.

Yeah, I have heard that one overpar. I don't think mine is an original, original (if you know what I mean). It doesn't have the original grip (with the flags?). Also, over here in Australia Nickels are a bit thin on the ground to test it :)

Either way, I love all 4 of my 8802 style putters, especially the Old Master W802's. They are gorgeous. And my collection has just become a family of 5 as I've just received my Wilson 8813. I'll have to update the family photo to include it...

Good deal!! Nice collection!!

You have a great collection Bro?!!

I usually refer to the first 8802 as either "THE" Wilson 8802 if in print or stressing "THE" if speaking as there are thousands and thousands of "Original" stamped 8802's out there and most are legit Wilson products as they indeed did have that on later releases however having most of the Wilson/Staff blades from the last 45-50 years, I'd go with either the 8813(the Staff edition of the 8802, though ironically the 8802, which started out in Sears, K-Mart, etc, would replace or sit along side the 8813 in Pro shops, both private and public and outsell it almost 5:1, lol), one of the Memdrellas or the 8843.

I did a comparative below with the most recently released 8802(2014), and it is slightly heavier at 335gr to 330gr and a slightly larger head/face(see nickel test, haha) however the biggest difference is the double milled face. This is a top shelf putter and feels better than any of my Napas(I've got 4 and the only one that was really in my rotation was the '06 LE) and is on par with my Black Series TS #8. Also, the 8802 is retired because of the signature scribbled across the face, lol. I went into my MRI with it in my hospital room and came out 45 minutes later with it signed and in her hands as she had surprised me with my second autograph ever. I'm glad that she did because I never would have asked him.

I also included the brass 8843 as this was in my rotation until 2012 when I "lost" it. Madison just found it in the back of my cedar closet when cleaning it out, lol. This is a great putter and I putt with it every evening however as the address shot shows, it's a blade's blade and there ain't a lot of metal around the ball though I love that in my putters and irons(Fg 59's) cuz that means that there's less surface area for my soory arse stroke and swing to put the ball on, lolol

Have a great day my Friend?

RP

Picked up the Sedona on the Bay awhile back, absolutely love it....just sharing.

Great Get Dennis!!

Beautiful putter?

Welcome to the Board?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP