2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Marathon Golf Outing - 100 holes of golf in a day

Hey all- I have agreed to participate in a fundraising event that involves me playing a Marathon of golf-- 100 holes.

I'd be approaching individuals prior to the event to sponsor me for some amount of money per hole completed and then I'll collect the amounts after the event.

I'm curious if anyone has done anything like this in the past and what kinds of advice you can give me toward surviving the day, raising money, etc. I know someone at my regular course who did this for a different cause and offered some good tips about such an event, but I'd like to hear what the collective Golfwrx membership can contribute.

Thanks for reading!

Ping G430LST 9* - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Taylormade BRNR Mini 11.5*  -  Graphite Design AD-DI 6s
Taylormade M2 Tour 18* - Project X Red Handcrafted 75 stiff 
Titleist Tsi3 20* - Graphite Design AD-DI hy 95stiff
Titleist T150 5i & 6i- Steelfiber 115fc f4
Ping Blueprint 7i-PW - Steelfiber 115fc f4
Titleist Vokey SM9 raw 50.12* - Steelfiber 115fc f4 
Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12* - Accra Spt Wedge 125g
Titleist Vokey SM9 raw 58.08* - Steelfiber 125stiff 
Scotty Cameron Newport Button Back - BGT Stability
Srixon Z-Star Yellow (2019)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did something similar to this called the Hundred Hole Hike. It was a good event, I played 100 holes in one day and raised a lot of money for the Special Olympics.

I walked all the holes, if you do that bring multiple shoes and socks, my feet were hurting the next day. Also have snacks to keep you going.

The course I played was a local one in central NJ, everyone was really nice. I wasn't asking for donations at the course, but my brother caddied for me and would talk to groups I played through, and we picked up an extra ~$300 in donations that day. I hung a big banner on the first hole, so I think that helped.

One tip would be the earlier you can start the better. I started on 10, played the back nine, that way I could get off on 1 and essentially get in 27 holes before dawn without another ahead.

Starting early on 10 is a great tip!

Also, if possible, have a friendly guy in a cart ahead of you running blocker and telling the groups you're playing through what's up, so when you get to the tee, or your ball they know you're coming.

Maybe make a sign of some kind for his cart.

Good Luck!

X________________________________ Sign Here

I did something similar to this called the Hundred Hole Hike. It was a good event, I played 100 holes in one day and raised a lot of money for the Special Olympics.

I walked all the holes, if you do that bring multiple shoes and socks, my feet were hurting the next day. Also have snacks to keep you going.

The course I played was a local one in central NJ, everyone was really nice. I wasn't asking for donations at the course, but my brother caddied for me and would talk to groups I played through, and we picked up an extra ~$300 in donations that day. I hung a big banner on the first hole, so I think that helped.

One tip would be the earlier you can start the better. I started on 10, played the back nine, that way I could get off on 1 and essentially get in 27 holes before dawn without another ahead.

What course, I am in central NJ.

Stay hydrated. Bring snacks, nuts and fruit are great; so is beef jerky or protein bars.

Change of socks, underwear & shirt (depending on temp) in the middle of the day can really help your comfort.

If it's hot, a cool towel in the cart cooler helps.

Wear sunscreen.

Other than that, it's just golf. 100 holes in a day is pretty standard fare for my group on a golf trip. Enjoy it.

I have done 3 different "Longest Day of Golf" events, and I headed up each one. The hardest was hitting balls for 24 hours straight at a driving range that I taught at. THAT is one that I won't do again....the blisters took a LONG time to heal!!!

Suggestions: contact some local businesses, and see if they might donate some gifts or items for donors. You can have drawings so that they have the possibility of getting something for their money other than a feel-good moment. I struck a deal with a big electronics retailer, and got some great items for practically nothing to give to people who put up money. The first event, I tried to play as many holes as possible, and asked some others to play with me, also asking them to raise funds. That first year, I got 136 holes in, but know that I could have done many more had I played by myself.

Definitely have someone go in front of you to make those players aware of what you are doing, and to let you get through their groups quickly. That front-runner can also try to drum up some additional $$$ for you and your cause.

Eat a baked potato the night before - loaded with potassium. Eat bananas through the day (more potassium) obviously stay hydrated, and with something additional to water, as you will sweat all your salts out. A good sports drink will be fine.

Take lots of towels, gloves, and balls. If you can have a schedule that allows someone to always be with you, it will help as they can tend the pin, help you look for balls a little off line, etc.

Ask the course where you will be doing this if you can go off at first light - check with the superintendent even if the golf pro/director/manager says it is OK. He/she will certainly appreciate your checking with them about this.

Take some bright colored balls to play with. At early light and dusk, the white ball is not as visible as the optic yellow or chartreuse/green.

And, make sure that you have LOTS of balls, since I doubt that you will be looking for each and every wayward shot.

Get people who are reluctant to sponsor you "per hole" to consider a "per birdie/eagle/hole in one" sponsorship. The last Longest Day that I played, I made my opening tee shot (started on 10, a par 3) but didn't see it go in, as it was still pretty dark. But, when I couldn't find it and one of my other players got to the green, he found it in the cup. Was funny, as one of the assistant pros at that club played that 8 before he went into work that day, and had a hole in one on the same hole. He was credited with having the first hole in one at the course, even tho I preceeded him by about 90 minutes!

I wish you luck with this, and if you have any additional questions, please give me a PM and I'd be more than happy to address them for you!

What course, I am in central NJ.

Mountain View in Ewing NJ

• 4 months later...

I'm sure you have thought of all this already. But just in case.

If you don't already, simulate 300 swings a day a few times a week to prep. At a range or just swing, but swing and put some mustard on it.

If walking go for some 15 - 20 mile hikes to prep. The shortest GC walking is still about 5 miles. You will be in for a 30 mile day minimum.

Medical tape/mole skin. Pay attention to hot spots on hands and feet. Put on tape or mole skin WAY before you think you need it. Hot spots turn in to blisters WAY faster than you think.

If it was me, a big breakfast and then 800mg of Ibuprofen then 8 hours later a large snack and 800mg again.

Good luck!!!

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• 3 months later...

If you're not riding a cart, which I'd assume you're not (otherwise it diminishes the challenge, or something lol) I'd suggest carrying less than a full set, only clubs you're money with or can't do without make it in, and only the lightest version you posses of those. No heavy putters. I'd also endevour to play "old guy golf". 5w down the fairway, iron to the middle, lag it, etc, it'll massively reduce your back strain and overall fatigue. I'd carry a single shoulder like an old sun mountain front nine, because you'll pick it up and put it down 300+ times over the course of the event, and it's an easier motion than with backpack straps, imo. Hope you have a blast and raise a mint, good luck!!