Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Help with my early extension... severe

ppjn348ppjn348 Members Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭
edited Jul 20, 2019 2:48am in Instruction & Academy #1

Hello,

I’ve posted elsewhere in the past regarding early extension and have heard, “keep your backside against a wall or don’t flip.” Neither have worked for me. I’m actually hitting it okay (this week) but it is causing some back discomfort. Any other drills or ideas for help? Thought I’d mention that I try to use a Mike Austin style backswing. I apologize for the back yard driving range along with the bucket!

Comments

• BM5DBM5D Members Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited Jul 20, 2019 3:14am #2

My suggestion would be to setup feeling like most of your weight is in the inside of your trail heel to solidify the swingthought of getting your weight shifted to your trail side and into the heel as you set the club at the top of your backswing. Also kick your hips back like you're sitting on a tall stool at setup. More knee bend if you can do it. All of this should help you from getting way up on your toes on your downswing which honestly looks like what's causing the EE. If you didn't EE with the weight shift you have, you'd be hitting everything fat or hitting the hosel. Your weight is going toward the ball on your downswing so something else has to match up for you to find the back of the ball. Therefore you're standing up on the ball to compensate for your weight shifting toward the ball and into your toes.

Getting your weight shift inside the ball should help your swing path as well which as a bonus could help your flipping problem if you can work on keeping the face more closed on the back swing. Make sense?

• ppjn348ppjn348 Members Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭

@BM5D said:
    My suggestion would be to setup feeling like most of your weight is in the inside of your trail heel to solidify the swingthought of getting your weight shifted to your trail side and into the heel as you set the club at the top of your backswing. Also kick your hips back like you're sitting on a tall stool at setup. More knee bend if you can do it. All of this should help you from getting way up on your toes on your downswing which honestly looks like what's causing the EE. If you didn't EE with the weight shift you have, you'd be hitting everything fat or hitting the hosel. Your weight is going toward the ball on your downswing so something else has to match up for you to find the back of the ball. Therefore you're standing up on the ball to compensate for your weight shifting toward the ball and into your toes.

Getting your weight shift inside the ball should help your swing path as well which as a bonus could help your flipping problem if you can work on keeping the face more closed on the back swing. Make sense?

What do you mean weight shift inside the ball? I’ll try to get a little more bend as well as weight to heels and see where I get. Do you think moving the ball away would help?

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,799 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: Not a teacher, but I used to have some EE issues, no longer do.
    Best drill that almost instantly helped me stop doing it, was to set up two chairs next to my hips, and feel like when I started the downswing, I was rotating my hips inside the chairs first, which was really me just gaining flexion to start my DS.

Didn't use a club during this drill, just put a stick or shaft across my chest.

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero 9* | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    '16 M1 Tour Issue 16* | Diamana B 70X
    '17 M1 Tour Issue 3h or GAPR Lo | Accra TZ6 M5
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Bettinardi MC 360 Tour or Ardmore 2 
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 5.5 Bag
    Nike Tour Premiere

@Z1ggy16 said:
    Disclaimer: Not a teacher, but I used to have some EE issues, no longer do.
    Best drill that almost instantly helped me stop doing it, was to set up two chairs next to my hips, and feel like when I started the downswing, I was rotating my hips inside the chairs first, which was really me just gaining flexion to start my DS.

Didn't use a club during this drill, just put a stick or shaft across my chest.

Did you feel the weight shift without bumping into the chairs?

• jkbrokerjkbroker Members Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭

You are swaying off the ball and making too flat of a shoulder turn. You need to fix the setup and backswing issues first, EE is just a reaction, need to fix the causes to correct it.

• BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's your inside takeaway that leaves you with an under plane backswing then you go steep in your downswing. The extension is necessary for your current swing.

Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern CaliforniaMembers Posts: 18,452 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the advice! I’ll tinker with it today.

@MonteScheinblum said:
    Probably a bit to close to the ball.
    Hips turn too early.

Backswing too long.

How would I control the hips in the backswing? When should they go?

@BottleCap said:
    It's your inside takeaway that leaves you with an under plane backswing then you go steep in your downswing. The extension is necessary for your current swing.

Thank you! I’ll try to turn better with shoulders and get less inside.

@jkbroker said:
    You are swaying off the ball and making too flat of a shoulder turn. You need to fix the setup and backswing issues first, EE is just a reaction, need to fix the causes to correct it.

You mentioned setup. What points need work?

• jkbrokerjkbroker Members Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 20, 2019 3:36pm #13

@ppjn348 said:

@jkbroker said:

You mentioned setup. What points need work?

I would probably give myself a little more room like Monte mentioned, I believe your actual posture is ok.
    It is hard to do, but don't worry about the downswing so much until you can really groove a good backswing. A backswing is not so much as style, is as substance. I always thought if my top of the backswing looked good, it didn't matter how I got there, but that can be a little deceiving unless you really look at finer details. The main imperative is getting the shoulders to work 90 degrees to the spine, which is going to really feel like your left shoulder is working down and under in the backswing - you will know the feeling because you will start to feel being really coiled in the swing and should feel pressure up your trail leg, glute, and into back muscles. Another good thought would be to set your wrists early and that will usually get the club more vertical in backswing and also shorten swing.

There is a sequence to the backswing also you will need to feel that your shoulders wind your hips back, instead of hips opening too quick.

My best advice is get a full length mirror and get into some of these positions and FEEL for yourself, you can't do it in a full swing at full speed.

• Ping's DuckPing's Duck Members Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

Like Monte says, posture a bit wonky. Your lower half is waiting for the upper half to arrive and the result can be a momentum overrun which is real difficult, but not impossible, to recover from.

• hacker49hacker49 Members Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use the punisher drill. Then once you take away the drill hit 3/4 shots. I have been working on not flipping and when I swing shorter I am able to control the flip much better. My ball goes almost as far because I hit it better on a more penetrating trajectory.

• BM5DBM5D Members Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

@ppjn348 said:

@BM5D said:

What do you mean weight shift inside the ball? I’ll try to get a little more bend as well as weight to heels and see where I get. Do you think moving the ball away would help?

I mean having an in to out swing path, which usually can't happen with EE and/or getting to your toes on the downswing. If you can get your weight shifted back and in the heel, get a full turn and then shift your weight toward the target.

• MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern CaliforniaMembers Posts: 18,452 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I mean having an in to out swing path, which usually can't happen with EE and/or getting to your toes on the downswing. If you can get your weight shifted back and in the heel, get a full turn and then shift your weight toward the target.

A huge % of in to out swings have EE an weight in toes. That’s how many people shift their paths right...if those people didn’t EE and went to heels, they’d be out to in.

• scottmurray1scottmurray1 Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

I'm not a swing instructor, lol. But fwiw, the backswing is a bit long. Your head dips on the transition, which a lot of golfers do, so instinctively, you might be standing up to prevent hitting it fat.

@MonteScheinblum said:

A huge % of in to out swings have EE an weight in toes. That’s how many people shift their paths right...if those people didn’t EE and went to heels, they’d be out to in.

I’ve been working on turning 90 degrees as well as standing further away. It feels like I’m a mile away and it’s inky a ball or so!

• dapdap Members Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@scottmurray1 said:
    I'm not a swing instructor, lol. But fwiw, the backswing is a bit long. Your head dips on the transition, which a lot of golfers do, so instinctively, you might be standing up to prevent hitting it fat.

A lot of great golfers dip down on the transition. It's most definitely not a fault. The fault lies in standing up late into impact which great golfers don't do. The reason is they can maintain lag deep into P6 which the OP doesn't do. Like you correctly stated, standing up is to make room for an early release to avoid hitting fat. It's unavoidable if you release early.

In order to fix the EE you need to address the early release at the same time because they are related.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file