davidhunt73davidhunt73 Members  6WRX Points: 30Handicap: 11Posts: 6 Bunkers

So wonder if someone could help.
Flying in to Chicago mid october and was planning the following golf/road trip
Cog Hill No. 4-Dubsdread Thursday
Drive close to arcadia Bluffs
Friday play bluffs course
Saturday Play Bluffs course again
Sunday forest dunes.

The problem is that No. 4-Dubsdread is going to be aerated weather depending 10/1-10/4

seeing that i may never get a chance to play this course again should i grin and bear it or seek alternative options. and the reason i wish to play bluffs twice is that i am thinking after i play it once i will no doubt play it differently the following day.
D

Posted:

Comments

• zer0zer0 Members  1572WRX Points: 215Posts: 1,572 Platinum Tees

Don't waste your time with Dubs if they are aerating. I did that one year and they used massive holes for aerating and didn't offer any sort of price break.

Honestly, there's no real reason for you to come to Chicago at all just to play one round. Dubs isn't worth all that extra driving even if it's in great condition. Fly to Detroit instead just stick to Michigan courses. Much better idea.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jcook10jcook10 Members  25WRX Points: 29Posts: 25 Bunkers

I recently went to Arcadia for the fourth of July and highly recommend the South course. But two rounds on the Bluffs course is hard to pass up. If you are dead set on flying into Chicago I recommend playing Harbor Shores in Benton Harbor, MI instead of Dubs on your way up to Arcadia. Dubsdread is very hit or miss with their conditioning as of late that while aerating I can anticipate they slack on some of their other maintenance and it could ruin your overall experience.

Posted:
  • davidhunt73davidhunt73 Members  6WRX Points: 30Handicap: 11Posts: 6 Bunkers

Flying into Chicago as can’t fly direct to Detroit from London unless I fly delta so there anyway. So maybe something between Chicago or enroute to Arcadia

Posted:
  • jcook10jcook10 Members  25WRX Points: 29Posts: 25 Bunkers

On -, @davidhunt73 said:

Flying into Chicago as can’t fly direct to Detroit from London unless I fly delta so there anyway. So maybe something between Chicago or enroute to Arcadia

Harbor Shores in Benton Harbor, Michigan is actually on the route you would take to Arcadia from Chicago. They have hosted the Senior PGA Championship there and personally I feel is a perfect warm-up for the contour of Arcadia’s Bluff course greens.

Posted:
  • Marlo989Marlo989 Members  14WRX Points: 30Handicap: 16Posts: 14 Bunkers

I would tend to agree to skip dubs in this case even though I have a soft spot for Cog. Lost Dunes in Michigan is private by a blast and worth a long shot phone call explaining your long trip. And I also give a big thumbs up to the South Course if you can squeeze it in. Lots of fun. Enjoy the trip

Posted:
  • ShrinerShriner Members  168WRX Points: 82Posts: 168 Fairways

I agree to skip Cog Hill, just not worth the trip that far out of your way. I would take Whittaker Woods over Benton Harbor any day of the week, which is directly on your path to Arcadia Bluffs.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • GoldenBearCubGoldenBearCub Don't Go Chasin Waterfalls Grand Rapids, MIMembers  500WRX Points: 56Handicap: 8Posts: 500 Golden Tee

In the Mitten I want to say Arcadia aerates Oct 7 & 8 and Forest Dunes aerates 9/30-10/02. Haven't played Forest Dunes but still loved The Bluffs after aeration. Have fun!!

Posted:
    44.5" X Flex Student Loans up my-
    Mizzy MP650 13.5 DI8x
    S3 Pro MB 3-GW 130 X
    Tour Trusty RF Proto 55, 60
    Ontic Signature Series II Blade
    Sun Mountain Swift X
  • tmw1582tmw1582 Members  70WRX Points: 43Handicap: 10.3Posts: 70 Bunkers

I can't recommend The Warren Course at Notre Dame highly enough. It is a fun Coore & Crenshaw layout. Not to mention it was the best conditioned course I played all year. You also can't beat the price at $75. It is a little out of your way but not more than 45 minutes. You would also have the added benefit of checking out the ND campus, which even if you don't like Notre Dame, is pretty impressive.
    I think Harbor Shores is nice but IMO it is a bit of false advertising as only 2 holes are along the lake. It is also not worth the new price tag of $170.

Posted:
  • rtraudtrtraudt Members  1816WRX Points: 150Posts: 1,816 Platinum Tees

On -, @tmw1582 said:

I can't recommend The Warren Course at Notre Dame highly enough. It is a fun Coore & Crenshaw layout. Not to mention it was the best conditioned course I played all year. You also can't beat the price at $75. It is a little out of your way but not more than 45 minutes. You would also have the added benefit of checking out the ND campus, which even if you don't like Notre Dame, is pretty impressive.
    I think Harbor Shores is nice but IMO it is a bit of false advertising as only 2 holes are along the lake. It is also not worth the new price tag of $170.

I could not agree with this assessment more...plus the Warren also just hosted the US Senior Open, which is far more impressive than a course having hosted any tournament put on by the PGA.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic SZ 10* ACCRA TZ6 
    Callaway Epic Flash 15* Atmos Red Tour Spec 7
    TEE CBX 18* Matrix Ozik Altus
    TEE CB ProU 21* Matrix Ozik Altus
    Adams MB2 Raw 4-P PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 52, 58 Nippon Modus 115
    Byron Morgan 612
    Shapland Stand Bag/CaddyTek
    Snell MTB Red
  • geochitowngeochitown Members  2129WRX Points: 297Handicap: 14Posts: 2,129 Platinum Tees

The Warren Course at South Bend sounds like a solid recommendation.
    Has anyone played Sand Creek CC (private) in Chesterton, IN.
    Very close to the highway and using boxgroove.com one can play it for $147.

Posted:
    Lead Tape lovingly applied - Driver through GW
    TEE XCG7 Beta +1* to 11.5* - Testing at 43" w/ Matrix 7M3 stiff/Driver stand-in Wishon 919THI 13* Matrix 7M3 at 42.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 4W 16.5* - Matrix 8M2 /5W 18* - Matrix 8M2 stiff tipped 2" at 41.75"
    OR TEE XCG7 Beta 19* H - Fujikura Fit-on Red Stiff - 85 g at 39.25"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 22*H - Diamana Thump T93 Stiff untipped at 38.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 25*H - Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft stiff 38.25"
    Wishon 560MC's 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length KBS Tour 105 Stiff
    Vokey SM4 52-08F
    Cleveland TA588 57-10 (bent to 56*, so 9* bounce)
    Vokey SM5 60-07S  
    SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0
    OR Bastain Milled BM-007 Prototype 371g at 33"
  • geochitowngeochitown Members  2129WRX Points: 297Handicap: 14Posts: 2,129 Platinum Tees

Point o' woods is another one playable by using boxgroove (Tough Robert Trent Jones design).
    Woah, $260 to play there...crikey

Posted:
    Lead Tape lovingly applied - Driver through GW
    TEE XCG7 Beta +1* to 11.5* - Testing at 43" w/ Matrix 7M3 stiff/Driver stand-in Wishon 919THI 13* Matrix 7M3 at 42.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 4W 16.5* - Matrix 8M2 /5W 18* - Matrix 8M2 stiff tipped 2" at 41.75"
    OR TEE XCG7 Beta 19* H - Fujikura Fit-on Red Stiff - 85 g at 39.25"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 22*H - Diamana Thump T93 Stiff untipped at 38.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 25*H - Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft stiff 38.25"
    Wishon 560MC's 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length KBS Tour 105 Stiff
    Vokey SM4 52-08F
    Cleveland TA588 57-10 (bent to 56*, so 9* bounce)
    Vokey SM5 60-07S  
    SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0
    OR Bastain Milled BM-007 Prototype 371g at 33"

Advertisement
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members  23353WRX Points: 7,326Posts: 23,353 Titanium Tees

Pointe O Woods is excellent, but it's not a $260 course.

Posted:
  • ChancemanChanceman Members  856WRX Points: 238Handicap: 14Posts: 856 Golden Tee

Wondering if this trip actually took place and if so how did it go? Did you play Cog Hill? Conditioning there?

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.