Roast my swing - fix my chicken wing

thigos

Many things to work on here - please point them out. I cannot seem to get my right arm extended/straight post impact. It continues to bother me, send help.

The things I see wrong here: I rotate the hands immediately on take away. A bit of sway everywhere. Wonky chicken wing through the ball.

Ps, set playback in youtube for .25 or .5

G430 Max 9* - Hzrdus Blue PVD 
Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

U505 2i - Hzrdus Black rdx

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

That's a bad angle to try and diagnose a chicken wing. Need to see it from behind the ball.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

Poor hip movement in backswing.

more rotation, less sway, lose some right knee flex.

thats the first step

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Its more the right arm staying bent through impact than the left elbow coming up. Maybe a bit of both. Really want to have the full extension and straight right arm post impact

Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

Thanks. when you say less right knee flex, do you mean at address, or at the top of the backswing? Straighter trail leg at the top to load more into right side/hip?

Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

Yes, less flex in trail leg at the top do hips can move more freely and right hip can rotate toward target in backswing and transition.

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

@MonteScheinblum @Egobblewobble Here is a video of me trying your advice...

Trying not to sway off the ball in take-away (swing in a barrel). Currently feels like less load in trial hip. How is right leg at the top? Straighter knee still?
Trying to hold wrist angle more through impact. You can see I'm trying to exaggerate this in the rehearsal swings.
Lastly trying to extend the arm to the target and get rid of the bent right elbow post impact. Also trying to lighten grip to allow right arm to straighten.

Send more help!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss9cGmhe1bU&feature=youtu.be

Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

I may just be talking to myself at this point, but here goes... So I reviewed the video from yesterday and still have this bent lead elbow post impact and am not getting the club extended out. Watched some slow mo face on videos to compare to mine and noticed a few things. First check out these three stills from each of the three swings in yesterday's video:

U8FTK6YN376Z.jpg

XP56ITQXP9LI.jpg

SP45VIHHM5G1.jpg

As you can see arms do not extend and end up in this goofy position. So I watched some videos of swings I admire, to compare....

GUUF56WSYDG4.jpg

4KFHC9DAFJDW.jpg

80FP1NOXHBTS.jpg

As you can see, all of these look perfect. I have tried many swing thoughts to get some extension though and post impact. Noticed in comparing my swing to these, that these guys heads dont shift laterally until well after impact (My video from yesterday has a lot of head movement through the ball.. So I went out to try stabilizing my head today. Was definitely a different feel, and was thinning some shots. Still needs work.

But, then I had this thought of "just keep the club head as close to the ground as possible after impact". I think I may have found something as I was finally getting some extension today..

Hips still not rotating open enough, and plenty more to work on, but check out this video and still shot from today's session..

2SI23FQHE1MQ.jpg

I've struggled with this for some time, so this feels like big progress to me. The ball seemed to be consistently straight with this thought.

What else should I work on going forward?

• Like 1

Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

Don't think you understand how the legs work to rotate the hips. Your left knee needs to work out toward your toes - rotation will bring it a bit inward - the right knee will lose a little bit of flex. The left knee moving out causes the left hip to lower while the right hips work back and up - a feel associated with this is to feel your butt working toward the target in the backswing. You have a really restricted hip turn. Need more hip turn. Your follow thru is a non-issue - your chasing a look and you looked okay to start with. Getting a better hip turn is going to allow you more time to get your arms synched up with and stop you from losing your angles early - right now your arms greatly trail your pivot - that is the issue. You have a lot of good things here.

At this point your hands should be at your right thigh.

ETK4A68BNKVS.png

Here's Julian Suri as an example of how the knees work to rotate the hips - and he is working on a deeper and steeper hips turn per iteach's comment.

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I really appreciate the feedback!! I'm gonna work on your suggestions and repost. I want to make sure I'm understanding some of the things you mention. I can see in that video you posted how much more lower body turn that guy gets on the way back. For my lack of rotation, is it only on the back swing and prior to impact? Or through swing as well?

I see what you mean in the still you posted where I have the club parallel to the ground and the hands way back from my thigh. Just need some clarity - is that what you mean by hands trailing the pivot? I always felt my hands got ahead of my lower body? Maybe I just have such little hip rotation that my hands are behind my lower body pre impact and ahead of the lower body post impact. Am I understanding this right? Thanks again for the pointers

Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

Arms need time to work down and synch up with hips - you have so little hip rotation in backswing that you give your arms no time to synch up Hips stall to let the arms catch up - so angles start to get thrown early. Yep you understand it. Same thing can happen to folks that “fire “ the hips even with a good turn. Monte calls it 68 ballerina - arms at p6 and hips at p8 - out of synch. The feel of my butt turning and moving toward the target during the end of the backswing is actually the start of my forward pressure shift - AMG calls it recentering.

another one on left knee etc

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8bwjjVFS0Y/On with a bit more detail and a good way to measure with alignment sticks (a drill not shown in video is to have that alignment stick in your belt loop while swinging - best to go slowly at first).

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Thanks for taking the time to put this together @glk - I'm gonna work on adding some rotation and will post an updated video

Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

The thing you need to understand.

those post impact frames are the result of multiple movements and you’re focusing on an effect that is several moves down the chain.

poor hip movement in the backswing is the first. the poultry is way down the list. Fix the hip movement, then see how the next step looks.

You don’t fix a cough by holding your breathe.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Thanks to the advice here, I do get it now. I didn't know I had a hip/rotation issue before. And I have had a personal vendetta with that stubborn poultry for some time. I am gonna work on the hip rotation and go from there. Will update with video here soon. I really appreciate the help!

Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

So I worked on the advice here from @glk and @MonteScheinblum . Here are two video's of me trying to rotate my hips more on the back swing. My main thought here is to get some depth at P3 (shaft on ground, DTL view) and to get my hands higher at the top.
I also do not have hands at right thigh when club is parallel to ground on downswing P6. Gonna keep working towards that..
Hips are still short of 45* at the top, but this felt like a significant change from what I have been doing. Please let me know what you guys think, and where I need work? I still lack extension of right arm through the ball, but I'll get there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2wRuMfrQy0&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7q5Hp0BYKg

Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

Definitely making progress on the hips. Monte hopefully will chime about what to try to speed up the arms - shortening the length of the arm swing can help but ultimately they have to get moving down faster than what you currently are doing. One thing he would recommend is trying to throw the angles away from the top - calls it the cast drill - comes in a video called no turn/cast drill.

Here's Jake Hutt's take on it (from Monte's instagram)

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified