user names on last post in instruction forum

Noticed that user names in the instruction forum for the last post are being replaced - lots of posts now listed as "goodup".

Have seen this in the recent past but has typically only been one or two at most. Today must be over 15 for this "goodup" username.

Only seen when on the forum page, if you go into the thread you'll see the actual username of the poster.

what gives?

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird, early this morning there were a zillion of them - when I clicked on it I got something that looked like an actual account with some mouse or monkey pic and I think "soon to be banned" or nonsense like that and the blanks for discussions and comments - wondered if someone who was banned was just trolling to make that happen for amusement.

For example, with the new site if someone likes a post, for example, their avatar will show over to the right unless another post has happened after - so someone in temporary timeout might have just read a post in a thread and liked it (just happened to notice that a couple of months ago when someone disappeared but his avatar kept showing up as if it was the last post and sure enough he was liking a few posts!).

I just figured this "goodup" was checking into as many threads as he could in a short time just for the "fun" of seeing all the little red things, but who knows.

Lotsa strange goings on.

Last poster's avatar should show. Don't believe "liking" a post has anything to do with it (or shouldn't).

"Wrong" avatars showing are likely one of 3 things; 1) either management or the programmers are messing around with the site's "User controls" or 2) a programmer is messing around with some code or 3) it's simply a bug that comes and goes.

Somebody mentioned "Shadow Posts" ? Good name for it. I called it the "LICC Effect" (1st poster that was noticed to have this happen to him).

BTW, how did you happen to access the "Golfstripe" profile page ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

On most discussion boards posts are typically "hidden", as opposed to being deleted. Makes it possible to reinstate a poster and unhide their posts. Deleted posts are considerably tougher to find and reinstate.

When hiding posts it's likely the "replies" number is not adjusted for hidden posts. I'm guessing that's why it wasn't right.

When I originally posted the previous post, before the others were unhidden, my post was #7 and the one previous showed as #4.

Titleist Pro V1X

OH,,,,,, MY,,,,,,,,

its-alive-gif-13.gif&key=b02c65bd8380b07721bf479431be87dfb2871d10f544a382f9d4056f3d49b84b

Titleist Pro V1X

It hasn't been last poster's avatar for some time and yep, someone hidden or temporarily unable to post can have his avatar show up to the right of a thread just by liking a post in the thread, if that was the last action. Just an example, but have seen it quite a bit. As for the golfstripe guy, lol, just did a search and ended up on some random post and clicked. See now he's banned. Oh well, we'll see what the next joker comes up with.

Well, if you say so but afaik it's ALWAYS been the last poster's avatar (and name of course).

Are you suggesting that the last person to "like" a post shows when the forum is "re-listed" ? Or is that ONLY when the "liker" is hidden" or "suspended". That hardly seems likely.

It sure isn't the former; a person simply liking a post. I tried it earlier on your post and I wasn't listed upon re-listing the forum. You can test that yourself by liking my post right here and re-listing the forum. You won't come up as last poster simply by liking my post.

Most likely simply another glitch.

Titleist Pro V1X

Well, I'm not sure I understand all that and maybe I'm making an assumption about the "like" part, but very common to see the avatar of a "hidden" member next to a thread and that has correlated with such a member having liked a post in the thread, but maybe that wasn't causation. Can't really say more, I guess, but that's how I noticed someone went missing recently. Clicked on thread to expecting that person to have the latest response because his avatar was next to the thread and . . . nothing there, went to his profile and noticed discussions/comments were now showing nothing and sent a WTF PM. ;-) So it relates to "hidden" members in some way.

"Well, I'm not sure I understand all that and maybe I'm making an assumption about the "like" part, but very common to see the avatar of a "hidden" member next to a thread and that has correlated with such a member having liked a post in the thread, but maybe that wasn't causation. Can't really say more, I guess, but that's how I noticed someone went missing recently. Clicked on thread to expecting that person to have the latest response because his avatar was next to the thread and . . . nothing there, went to his profile and noticed discussions/comments were now showing nothing and sent a WTF PM. ;-) So it relates to "hidden" members in some way."

"Very common" ? How would you know ? Surely you don't regularly click (or hover) over the avatar on listings of posts ?

I almost never pay attention to who posted last. Who cares ? Now, IF say 4 or 5 avatars in a row were the same AND it was not a "Participated" list where I had say posted in 4 or 5 threads in a short time, I would almost certainly notice that. And that would probably make me look over there. And if it was somebody I knew, I might look into it a bit more.

That said, if it was somebody I KNEW was suspended/hidden/whatever, THAT would make me take a peek. And in THAT instance I would see the avatar shown does NOT show as the last poster.

But "likes" ? Never saw an avatar show where that user was NOT the last poster on that thread although i confess I don't look for that sort of thing. I even tested it. You (apparently since my last post wasn't liked) didn't test as I suggested.

I'll do it again right now. Before I hit "Post" I'll a) like your post and b) relist the forum in another tab and c) look at this thread as listed. I'm betting I won't show as the "last poster" until I hit "enter" here on THIS post.

OK, your post is listed as the last one.

I "liked" your post and relisted the forum.

YOU still show as the last poster.

That screenshot of 10(?) in a row with the "Shadow Ban" avatar was very likely a temporary glitch.

Titleist Pro V1X

Wow, and this just shouldn't happen.

Bladehunter is suddenly able to post, assumes if he is able to post his unspecified and indefinite "timeout" is over, posts some friendly and innocuous things, including a nice WITB and someone jumps his rear over the fact he's posting (how would he know different) and now he's jailed.

LOL

Dude, I'm NOT saying you didn't "see what you saw" - in either case ("liking" or a "shadow poster" posting).

When LICC was first "shadow hidden" I noticed his name as the last poster, clicked on the thread to see what foolishness he was posting now, and there was no post there. And I didn't even know anything about shadow hidden poster then.

I only discovered it while looking into LICC. That, and he sent me a message, and we experimented with what he could and could not do. That's the only reason I knew about any of this in the first place.

And I'm not even sure of which part of my post you're (snottily) "answering"; the part about "liking" a post NOT changing the "last poster" or a "shadow hidden" poster posting something and THEN his name shows as the last poster even though his post doesn't - as mentioned, THAT I have seen.

But you did say it was "very common". I asked you how you knew and it's "OK, I didn’t see what I saw". Sheesh.

Titleist Pro V1X

• 4 weeks later...