Need some support. Stopped smoking

golfingchuck

I'm 34 and coming up on a year (November 18th). I quit because it was time. I'd like to say it was before my kid was born, but he was a little over a year old. I failed after he was born. I've never smoked near him though..... I did it without the use of aids, but everyone is different. I've "tried" with the gum and stuff before (chantix scares me), but in the end, your mind, body, and soul must be 100 percent committed. Honestly, the gum seemed to drag out the withdrawal issues. I'll take 2 terrible weeks over 5 or 6 bad ones.

In terms of quitting, the first week was terrible. Second week, pretty bad, probably about as bad as the first. Third week was ok. The fourth week going into a month, well you've got a streak going so it drives you. Same with the second month. You don't feel it every day, but the feeling will come out of nowhere. I used the streak as motivation. I pretty much quit golf for the winter because smoking was a big part of my round. I didn't 100% avoid situations where I knew it would be tough, but I knew some would be worse than others.

I did have a bad few day stretch in March where I smoked. It was in Vegas and around some friends who smoked a lot. I admit that I made the conscious decision to smoke and I assumed I could stop again. It was risky. I'm not proud of smoking, but I'm proud that when I boarded the plane and came home I didn't pick it back up.

Today, I rarely feel the need for a smoke and I never partake when I do. I do any activity I want, including golf or going to smoky bars without worry. I played a round 2 weeks ago and got paired up with 3 other guys, all who smoked, one of who dipped at the same time (weird). Grabbing one never even crossed my mind.

Just hang in there. It gets better, as evidenced by everyone's posts. You might gain a little weight. No big deal, just work it right off. You're on your way to becoming an ex addict. That means you will have to consciously making a decision to override your body's impulses. Although it gets better, it never will totally go away. Just be careful not to trade smoking for another addiction. That's what can cause stuff like massive weight gain. You're eliminating an addiction, not subbing it out.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In about the same position as you, using Chantix (called Champix where I live)... 5th day of not smoking after about 25 years of smoking.. Get the odd pang but way better than any other methods I've tried before.

First round of golf since quitting today, worthy of a passive brag so I won't do one, match was won that's the main thing :)

Keep it up.
Sam

[quote name='butch33611' timestamp='1350938297' post='5829193']
[quote name='Scottcon' timestamp='1350937721' post='5829141']
[quote name='butch33611' timestamp='1350937103' post='5829101']
I can do better then support. I can give you the 100% fix to your situation. [/quote]

There are lots of "100%" fixes, just have to find the one that works for you. For some its e-cigs, patches, chantix, cold turkey. I think it comes down to really wanting to quit for yourself, not because people are asking you to.

I was a bit leary of anything that kept the nicotine addiction alive after the cigs were gone, but thats probably because I didn't trust my willpower as much.
[/quote]

Nicotine is no more harmful to you then caffine in a cup of coffee. You can use this device for the rest of your life. I have no intentions of quittng. For me this is a replacement for the real thing. I enjoy smoking and have no plans to quit. And now I dont have to.

There are not a lot of 100% fixes for anything. This just happens to be one of them. I have 3 guys I work with that laughed at me when they saw this thing. Now they have one too and love it.
[/quote]

So your post made me very curious, did a little reading online and went out and bought one to see what the fuss was about. ( Got a "Blu" disposable e-cig, $10). All I can say is...Wow. I was amazed at how much like a real smoke it was. You are right. Wish I had these when I quit. And the occasional smoke I have now will be replaced by these. I honestly could not be more surprised after the first "puff".

I quit a little over 3 years ago. Congrats, and keep it up!

It can be hard when out on the golf course... I used to get those suckers from See's Candy. They worked well and kept my mouth occupied. Keeping your mouth busy with candy, gum, etc... is important. Especially when you get bored and feel like you should be doing something and will no longer take that opportunity to light one up.

The benefits are great, though. After a couple of weeks your sense of smell and taste will improve. Try eating some of your favorite foods in a week or two... they will taste even that much better!

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Mikey Town' timestamp='1351028394' post='5835591']
I quit a little over 3 years ago. Congrats, and keep it up!

It can be hard when out on the golf course... I used to get those suckers from See's Candy. They worked well and kept my mouth occupied. Keeping your mouth busy with candy, gum, etc... is important. Especially when you get bored and feel like you should be doing something and will no longer take that opportunity to light one up.

The benefits are great, though. After a couple of weeks your sense of smell and taste will improve. Try eating some of your favorite foods in a week or two... they will taste even that much better!
[/quote]

...or some foods that you previously enjoyed might become disgusting because now you can finally taste them! I quit 3 years ago after 10 years of smoking. Due to a health scare, I quit cold turkey. Nevertheless, after the first 3 weeks, I totally hated the taste of McDonald's sweet tea. It was absolutely horrible! I also required less sugar in my coffee. I'm a weirdo, but you too may have a similar experience.

GOOD LUCK! We're proud of you, and it WILL get better!

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

[quote name='Scottcon' timestamp='1351015885' post='5834257']

So your post made me very curious, did a little reading online and went out and bought one to see what the fuss was about. ( Got a "Blu" disposable e-cig, $10). All I can say is...Wow. I was amazed at how much like a real smoke it was. You are right. Wish I had these when I quit. And the occasional smoke I have now will be replaced by these. I honestly could not be more surprised after the first "puff".
[/quote]

Be careful with the e-cigs. Some of the manufacturers still load the cartridges with cancer causing chemicals. Make sure you got one of the safer ones.

[quote name='highergr0und' timestamp='1351047552' post='5837211']
[/quote]

Be careful with the e-cigs. Some of the manufacturers still load the cartridges with cancer causing chemicals. Make sure you got one of the safer ones.
[/quote]

Can you back that up somehow? The cancer causing chemicals are from the tar and other bad things that collect on your lungs from the actually buring of the product and you inhailing the smoke from a normal cigirette. An E cig is basicly water vapor( VAPOR, not smoke) and a little nicotine. Its like using the gum or the patch. Its just another delivery system for the nicotine your body wants.

I can hear that around the E cig board room. Ya know, we dont have to but lets load the cartridges with cancer causing products...It'll be a hoot.

Handicap 7.7

[quote name='butch33611' timestamp='1350938297' post='5829193']
[quote name='Scottcon' timestamp='1350937721' post='5829141']
[quote name='butch33611' timestamp='1350937103' post='5829101']
I can do better then support. I can give you the 100% fix to your situation. [/quote]

There are lots of "100%" fixes, just have to find the one that works for you. For some its e-cigs, patches, chantix, cold turkey. I think it comes down to really wanting to quit for yourself, not because people are asking you to.

I was a bit leary of anything that kept the nicotine addiction alive after the cigs were gone, but thats probably because I didn't trust my willpower as much.
[/quote]

Nicotine is no more harmful to you then caffine in a cup of coffee. You can use this device for the rest of your life. I have no intentions of quittng. For me this is a replacement for the real thing. I enjoy smoking and have no plans to quit. And now I dont have to.

There are not a lot of 100% fixes for anything. This just happens to be one of them. I have 3 guys I work with that laughed at me when they saw this thing. Now they have one too and love it.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Those things are ok for a test to see what its all about. I had one too. Too much trouble to deal with trying to keep the battery charged and knowing when the nicotine is low in the cartridge. The link I supplied shows the one I have. It has an actual tank that you just refill when it gets close to empty. I tell people about these things that smoke to try and help them but most just dismiss it as some kind of gimmick that wont work. Once you get the supplies it costs about half the price of smoking real cigs. I can tell a huge difference in the way I feel after doing the switch. I get more air in my lungs and dont get so winded walking 18. No more smokers cough. No more smelling like a ash tray.

If everyone who smoked would at least try this thing the tobbacco industry would be in serious trouble.

I had the same reaction you did...WOW!! This aint bad...lol

Handicap 7.7

I know a lot of people who have cut down their smoking with e-cigs as well and I've tried this myself. I've tried various ways to quit before and been successful in quitting for over a year twice in the past.

I was a bit apprehensive about Champix, there's some quite bad stories about side effects, I was seriously worried it might cause me nightmares or at worst effect my putting in some horrible way... (every time I've stopped smoking in the past my putting has been horrible for a month anyway). It's not been bad for me, I guess I've been lucky.

In my opinion nicotine just isn't a good enough drug to be worth being addicted to :) I can find other non-addictive stimulants that are better in any heath food shop if I want to. I can do without questions from my kids like "Dad, why are you sucking on a battery....".

I quit about 2-3 years ago, and I just turned 30. I started at about 16 years old, but I had never imagined myself as a life long smoker. My wife and I were about to try to have kids, that plus the cost and her nagging about it was the big motivation. I went through one box of the "gum" and it was willpower and discipline after that. Challenge yourself! The gum helps because you actually get to do something when you have the urge, unlike the patch for example.

Just remember, it's basically the dumbest thing you can do to yourself and the biggest waste of money imaginable.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

Still haven't smoked and should probably buy stock in sunflower seeds, lol.

Titleist TSi3 Oban Devotion 04
Titleist 910F UST Mamiya Black

Titleist 910H UST Mamiya Red
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
Ping Kushin 4
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='dennis4190' timestamp='1351123525' post='5841511']
Keep up the good work Chuck...I quit cold turkey 14 yrs ago after smoking for 25 yrs...believe me, [b]the longer you go the easier it gets. Stay with the sunflower seeds or whatever helps you through the day, you won't regret it[/b]
[/quote]

+1 Eventually you'll wonder what ever made you want to start.

TS4 8.5* - RogueElite65-X

913F 15* - RogueBlack80-S

913HD 20* - GS95-S

FGTour 4-9 - Rifle5.5

Cleveland 50,56* - TTDG-W

Slotline ss385

I quit cold turkey on Jan 1, 2012. Smoked about a pack a day for ten years. I know it's cliche, but it was literally the most difficult thing I have ever done. You wouldn't believe the withdrawal symptoms I had. There was one day right around the 3 week mark where I literally could not get out of bed. I honestly thought I was dying, and even went to the doc later that week to get a full check up including bloodwork and chest x-rays. I don't want to freak you out, but rather inform you of possible withdrawal symptoms so you'd be prepared for it. Mine included:

Fatigue, weakness, loss of appetite, lost about 10 lbs in the first couple months (down to 118 from 128!), irritability, insomnia, anxiety, and depression. You can probably see why I thought I was dying lol.

I can guarantee you that it gets easier. Way easier. It hasn't even been a year yet and I have zero cravings for a cigarette. I have friends that smoke, and I can't believe I used to smell that bad. Nowadays I feel great. I'm at a healthy 140 lbs, and can even carry my bag for 18 holes without getting winded! Keep up the good work, and don't give in to that nicodemon, it'll be way worth it in the end!

I quit 5+ years ago after 30 years of smoking. I also used Chantix and other than the wild dreams, it worked great. After about 10 days I was really craving a smoke so I fired one up. It tasted like chit and I started to throw it away but decided to finish it so that I would remember how nasty these things were. Haven't touched one since.

Good Luck!

[quote name='golfingchuck' timestamp='1351122068' post='5841405']
Still haven't smoked and should probably buy stock in sunflower seeds, lol.
[/quote]

Good work mate, the beginning is the worst, by now you should be coughing up some intriguing substances and feeling better and better every day!
Stay strong
The non smoking life kills a smokers life

• 2 weeks later...

My grandma died of lung cancer in 2002. She was 62 years old. She has 7 children 4 of which still to this day smoke. It really makes me wonder how much more motivation it takes than watching your own mother die to quit smoking. I am guilty of chewing tobacco for about 2 years, but i've been clean for about a month. i am a nursing student, and i've seen way too many patients with COPD and no teach from tobacco products. I just gave it up. FEAR can be a very motivating factor.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Tomorrow will be a month. Still want one but its only been a month.

Ping Kushin 4
Titleist Pro V1

i started smoking when i was 22 (bought a pack of kool 30 minutes after the last track & field competition in college :D ).
i quit cold turkey about 1.5 years ago (am 34 right now). the first few days, i could not think about anything but cigarettes. after that, however, i was good and i never had any real cravings.
the weird thing is that i dont really feel any better after quitting. people say it's because i had already exercised (gym, basketball, running, golf ,etc) almost everyday. i dont know.

i think it's just easy to quit for some people. my bro can quit for a year, smoke a pack or more for a few months, then quit for another 6 months, and so on.

[quote name='golfingchuck' timestamp='1350922000' post='5827731']
Stopped smoking 7 days ago and still crave a cigarette! I'm taking chantix and have been eating sunflower seeds like there going out of style. I'm 34 and have been smoking since I was 18. The past couple of years I've been smoking at least a pack a day(camel Turkish silver).

When did you quit and how hard was it.
[/quote]

Still smoke here but keep up the good work. REMEMBER that the first time you smoked you probably choked like mad! think of all that stuff.

[quote name='golfingchuck' timestamp='1352690532' post='5921025']
Tomorrow will be a month. Still want one but its only been a month.
[/quote]

good job! you are easily through the hardest part. I have quit for 3 weeks, 6 months, 2 weeks and always come back to smoking. There is really no part of me that wants to quit, I enjoy it and i'm sure that is addiction talking. My wife feels the same way and smokes as much as I do, so I blame my addiction on her because she won't quit either when I feel like I should quit. Best of luck and willpower to you

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

• 4 weeks later...

This past Monday was 8 weeks. Still haven't had a fag, cig, smoke or whatever you want to call it. Lol

Ping Kushin 4
Titleist Pro V1