2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Buying my first Balls

Matbenton

[quote name='Funyuns' timestamp='1390832370' post='8542283']
Wilson Staff Fifty Elite's are $13/dozen. No experience with them but that's what I'm starting the season with, assuming the season ever starts.

That said, I'd say go with used balls. Last year I bought something like 50-75 mixed Maxfli's used on ebay for about $0.50-.60 per ball before the year started and between those and found balls I pretty much made the year. I usually shot 100-110, so not much time to get attached to a ball and I can't blame the ball for where it ends up.

Our clubhouse also has a bucket of found balls that are usually practically new for $0.70 each. Most courses have a ball hunter selling sorted dozens (usually by brand) for less that $10.
[/quote]
These would be good balls to start with, as although cheap they don't feel cheap off the club face. I think it's important to get a ball you can compress and that feels good. When you start out you need a ball which can provde feedback through feel, you need to know when you have hit it sweetly. Some rock balls just don't provide that feedback, every shot feels harsh no matter how well you hit it. At $13 a dozen you couldn't miss with those Wilsons.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Scungi' timestamp='1390890400' post='8548969']
All the above posted and would add Precept Laddie double dozen, $20.
[/quote]

Amazon Warehouse Deals has them for $15 if you don't mind damaged packaging.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0015ABIEQ/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

[quote name='eagles1' timestamp='1390833686' post='8542393']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1390833319' post='8542359']
[quote name='eagles1' timestamp='1390831938' post='8542253']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1390831687' post='8542233']
If you are new to the game, which golf ball you play won't make a lot of difference. Something in the $19.95 range should be just fine. Here are some examples:

Wilson Duo
Bridge Precept Lady IQ+ (great ball)
Noodle Long and Soft
Callaway SuperSoft
Bridgestone xFixx
Srixon Soft Feel
Nike PD Series

Good luck!
[/quote]

Sean2 - Big fan of your posts. Thanks for your contributions to this board.

Can u provide more insight into the Precept Lady IQ+ ball?
[/quote]

Thanks Eagles, that's very kind of you. :-)

I first heard of the ball from Monte, who talked about it in one of his threads. He highly recommended it. I thought I'd give it try. It's a nice golf ball, and for the price you can't beat it. It doesn't spin around the greens for me like it might for some of the better players, but overall, it performs very nicely. For the price it is worth a try. :-)
[/quote]

Yes - that is where I read about it as well. Is there any comparison between it and a premium ball that comes to mind? I usually play either Pro V1, Taylor Made Penta 5 and Bridgestone B330-RX - depending on the deal to be had at the time.

Cheers.
[/quote]They are now called Bridgestone Lady. My wife uses them and I have hit them. Great ball! Reminds me of the old MC Lady, which was a great ball for the price. Seriously thinking of gaming them my self.

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

TP5

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I remember the "original" Bridgestone Lady. Great ball - but somewhere along the line it changed drastically. I'm thinking is was around the time that they changed the graphics on the ball. Don't remember what they did - but it was ugly. Never understood why they changed the characteristics though.

Any idea if the current "Lady" has the same characteristics of the original "Lady"?

Thanks

You can not go wrong with any info that has been given.

The Callaway Super Soft is a winner. If you want to fool around with a premium ball without the worry of value, go by Dicks and get the TM Lethal practice balls for $20. Just a great way to see if at this point in your game if there are any noticeable advantages, for you, in playing a more expensive ball.

Good luck.

Kris

[quote name='Matbenton' timestamp='1390826843' post='8541947']
I am getting to the point of leving behind the safety of the driving range for the open green green grass of the real world courses. I need to buy some balls, they must makes a diference, I am going to lose some (most likely a lot).

Is there anything that will help smooth my path and won't be too costly as I lose them?

Many thanks
[/quote]

If you are anywhere near Hoylake I have a bag of practice balls your welcome to have including Titleist, srixon, Callaway, Bridgestone etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I'd do:

1) Buy a $20 pack of low compression balls like the Callaway Supersoft or the Wilson Duo. These are great 2 piece balls that will do everything you want until you start to learn the game more. Have these handy as your "default" ball.

2) As you play a course, you'll come across a few stray balls. If you look around and they don't belong to anyone else in play, take it and hit it a few times. If no one is behind you, drop it next to your ball and play the same shot so you can compare how it feels to your "default." This is how you will start to learn what you want from a ball.

3) Ask to trade with your friends. Offer them one of yours for one of theirs. A lot of times they'll have a few strays that they've found and will just give them to you to hit with.

4) Have fun with it but pay attention. Durability, hardness, softness, sound, how it reacts on the green, ball flight, etc. The more you play, the more you'll see what exactly you need from a ball.

5) If you find that you like premium 3/4/5 piece balls, go online and look for them used. You can usually get 5A quality balls for around half of what they cost retail. Nothing worse than losing 3 brand new balls from a $50 pack in a round.

There are plenty of ways to try out new balls. Just remember to have fun with it!!

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Riptide Regular
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 4w 16* Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Tight Lies 2 4h 22* Stiff
Irons: Sub70 699u 5i/6i, 699 7-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* Tour Grind, Callaway MD2 58* Tour Grind
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Labs #10

I recently got back into the game and was asking myself the exact same question. I went 2 routes:

1) I got a good deal on a couple dozen balls at Dick's Sporting Goods, specifically 3 dozen Slazenger Raw Distance for $25. Since I paid more for these I tend to use them to practice my short game in my back yard or at the chipping and putting green near the driving range I use.

2) I bought a TON of used balls both from ebay and the PGA golf superstore. On eBay I found 2 specific sellers whom I purchased balls from. I purchased 40 used AAAAA assorted Titleist (mostly DT Solo's) for $20 free shipping and from the other seller I purchased 9 dozen brand new Slazenger Power Control (7 dozen) and Raw Distance balls (2 dozen) for $45 with free shipping. From the PGA golf superstore I purchased 48 used AAA-AAAAA golf balls for $20.

I know the first round I played I lost a good dozen balls so definitely don't spend to much but get something that is cheap and you can buy in bulk. If all else fails definitely try lostgolfballs.com.

Best of luck moving forward!

Taylormade RBZ Driver 9.5*
Taylormade RBZ 3 wood 15*
Cobra AMP 3 hybrid 19*
Taylormade RBZ 4-AW
Cleveland CG10 3 dot 56*, 60*
Taylormade Daytona Blade Putter

That's a lot of good advice and I am going to take it all on board, I have bought the clubs but have yet to hit a proper course (due to weather, moving house and family stuff). The time is nearing though and next Saturday morning will either be first lesson or a trip to a municipal course. It is definately to try try out the new sticks in a real life environment rather than hidden away in the safety of the range.

Maxfli U2. Check the golf digest ball chart. Wedge spin is on par with most tour level balls. The driver spin is high but who cares, the short game will help you a lot while you're learning.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]