2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

NIKE Q&A 2.0: Tour Van, Oven & Nike HQ answers questions 3/4/14. See transcripts here...

HipCheck

Thanks for taking the time today Nike.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job Nike and WRX!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='UncleKevin' timestamp='1393974679' post='8798535']
Spent 20 mins drooling on these at Doral today.

[attachment=2100243:Photo Mar 04, 2 57 41 PM.jpg]
[/quote]

The all black putter cover!!!

[attachment=2100257:homerdrool.jpg]

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

[quote name='UncleKevin' timestamp='1393974679' post='8798535']
Spent 20 mins drooling on these at Doral today.

[attachment=2100243:Photo Mar 04, 2 57 41 PM.jpg]
[/quote]
Why are they in a sun mountain bag?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='j2_a2' timestamp='1393961138' post='8796963']
Since the sweet spot of the Covert and Covert forged irons has been extended into the toe side, will a strike a little towards the heel be greatly penalized? Was the sweet spot moved just slightly to accommodate what you guys researched, while keeping the sweet spot going into the heel area the same, or was some of the sweet spot taken out of the heel area?
[/quote]

[b]Absolutlely not. Essentially we are moving the CG to the center of face, hence when you hit it on the button, you get the response you want. Many irons, especially forged, tend to have CG heel side of center. [/b]

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1393960324' post='8796811']
[quote name='Nike Golf HQ' timestamp='1393958946' post='8796541']
[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1393958636' post='8796491']
[quote name='Nike Golf HQ' timestamp='1393957027' post='8796201']
[quote name='youngunz5840' timestamp='1393469445' post='8754552']
The vrs forged irons were endo forged are the covert forged done by the same facilities? How much larger is the sweet spot on the new nexcor face?
[/quote]

[b]Same facility. Nexcor face creates a slightly larger sweetspot, but amazingly a faster face than last model![/b]
[/quote]

I started a thread a few days ago after receiving 2 of 6 ranking reports from our Club Fitting panel that votes for our annual awards. The Covert Forged Irons are being ranked VERY high on the early reports. We are all looking around and in some cases taking a serious first look at the Covert forged as a contender. Off the charts distance, forgiveness and that obviously translates to smash numbers compared to others in the iron category.

What did you do? Are there actual COR, MOI or other actual numbers you could share comparing these to the 2013 VRS Forged?

Richard
---

Tony... where is my set? LOL

[attachment=2099517:2Y9G1905.jpg]
[/quote]

[b]The previous model was an “underground rock star” as well. We took the knowledge garnered from that model and made some modifications. First was to add NexCOR to the face which heated it up even more. Secondly was the refinement of the shaping throughout the set, but most drastically on the long irons. It is an incredible game improvement club for the better player and now that the sole is invisible at address on the long irons, it should open itself up to an even wider audience to enjoy. It is VERY long and very easy to hit, while feeling great. [/b]

[b]As for your set...we are send a shuttle up for the moondust encrystaled ferrules you asked for, hence lead time is a longer than normal.[/b]
[/quote]

I figured it was that moon dust. I have to give Dabbs some special credit for that.

1. Seriously though... looking at early reports this Covert Forged Iron looks like a game changer. The smash numbers during the "Miles of Golf" player testing showed these heads to be special. Even me a self admitted forged players iron snob have these over the pro combos in the bag (soon). While they are larger heel to toe than I am used to, they just flat out perform! Why wouldn't more players at high levels (even tour) use them? Can you try to get Russell Henley to try them?

2. How did you mill the steel inside the pockets? Did you prior to welding the NexCOR face on it?

Photo of the milling in the cavity (7 iron)

[attachment=2099559:2Y9G1908.jpg]
[/quote]

[b]You are welcome and the shuttle took off last night...in other words, the impossible grip request was granted and they are on the way. The problem with these irons at the highest playing level is they go too far. The tour athlete generates both a faster swing speed, but more importantly a much steeper attack angle, hence de-lofting the iron even more. It is why TW and RM are hitting a traditional lofted blade PW 150 yards. Realistically, they would hit this PW 165...kind of leaves a hole in the bottom of the bag! We have shown the product to some of the LPGA tour athletes, but our team is high swing speed for that tour and generally Pro Combo/Blade players. Bottom line is that the technology allows us that do not cover that ball as well as a tour player to achieve the results they get through... talent.[/b]

[quote name='resnor' timestamp='1393977637' post='8798851']
I just want to know about Golf 360 Android app.

*cries in corner*
[/quote]

It's not coming anytime soon. I've been tweeting at Nike for about a year and a half about NG360. Whoever is in charge of their twitter feed told me the first time that it was on its way and they were working on it. So I kept asking every 3 months or so. They quit responding to me eventually. So I emailed the address for NG360 app problems and I did get a response. If I knew how to post it I would, but the guy told me they're not working on it at all. Never have been. Wouldn't give me a reason but I'm pretty sure it's due to their relationship with the fruit company. I'm a nike guy for life, but this is one thing they are dropping the ball on. Why mass advertise the app on Facebook and Twitter if it's not available to HALF of the people following them?

We have seen a screenshot of Tiger's (presumed) club specifications. Could you make this information known for all of the Nike staff? GolfWRX is a different breed, you know. We would love to know lengths/lofts/lies of Nike staff irons, tipping on woods, face angles, etc.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='zonacats23' timestamp='1393979117' post='8799005']

*cries in corner*
[/quote]

It's not coming anytime soon. I've been tweeting at Nike for about a year and a half about NG360. Whoever is in charge of their twitter feed told me the first time that it was on its way and they were working on it. So I kept asking every 3 months or so. They quit responding to me eventually. So I emailed the address for NG360 app problems and I did get a response. If I knew how to post it I would, but the guy told me they're not working on it at all. Never have been. Wouldn't give me a reason but I'm pretty sure it's due to their relationship with the fruit company. I'm a nike guy for life, but this is one thing they are dropping the ball on. Why mass advertise the app on Facebook and Twitter if it's not available to HALF of the people following them?
[/quote]

It wouldn't even be that big of a deal, if I could still access the website itself...but the website is completely gone. It's ludicrous, actually, since Android outnumbers fruit users, that Android gets no app. I have a hard time believing that Apple cares...almost every app is available on both platforms. Except golf apps. Nike Golf, Tiger Woods Shotzoom, and Golf Channel Academy are all conspicuously absent from the Google store.

I am re-posting this as it looks like they only posted new questions...As a bigger golfer who really enjoys Nike equipment, I am wondering if there will be a big and tall release of Nike golf clothing? I really enjoy the look of the Nike golf polos and have never had the opportunity to wear them because I am a size 4X tall and the Nike golf pants and shorts are also very much interesting to me because they are made of such a light yet durable material. I am willing to bet that there would be a fairly significant market if Nike golf were to release big and tall clothing.

It can be frustrating to always see such a great selection of Nike golf clothes that literally stop two sizes before me. I currently wear Nike hats, gloves, socks and shoes.

Also has somebody who enjoyed the Dri-Fit Tour glove is there going to be another release of that line? I realize that the Dri-Fit tech glove is out but does not have the same feel.

To sum up
Question 1: Are there any plans for a Nike Golf Big and tall Clothing line?

Question 2: Will there be a new release of Dri-Fit Tour gloves?

[quote name='Darth Vitt' timestamp='1393986095' post='8799975']
I am re-posting this as it looks like they only posted new questions...As a bigger golfer who really enjoys Nike equipment, I am wondering if there will be a big and tall release of Nike golf clothing? I really enjoy the look of the Nike golf polos and have never had the opportunity to wear them because I am a size 4X tall and the Nike golf pants and shorts are also very much interesting to me because they are made of such a light yet durable material. I am willing to bet that there would be a fairly significant market if Nike golf were to release big and tall clothing.

It can be frustrating to always see such a great selection of Nike golf clothes that literally stop two sizes before me. I currently wear Nike hats, gloves, socks and shoes.

Also has somebody who enjoyed the Dri-Fit Tour glove is there going to be another release of that line? I realize that the Dri-Fit tech glove is out but does not have the same feel.

To sum up

[/quote]
Ditto

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1393958855' post='8796531']
[quote name='Nike Golf HQ' timestamp='1393958664' post='8796493']
[b] Rest assured all of the players that you see with a Polymetal Patterned face has polymer and metal on the face. The notion of a "painted face" on a Method putter makes David Franklin cringe![/b]
[/quote]

So are you saying definitively that there is not a single player on tour utilizing a Nike Method putter with method grooves that have been pained on the face?
[/quote]

There are no painted faces on tour.

[quote name='csiachos' timestamp='1393987086' post='8800169']
[quote name='Darth Vitt' timestamp='1393986095' post='8799975']

To sum up

[/quote]
Ditto
[/quote]

We will have to consult with our apparel team on this one. We are simply not qualified to answer!

[quote name='resnor' timestamp='1393981105' post='8799203']

*cries in corner*
[/quote]

[/quote]

It wouldn't even be that big of a deal, if I could still access the website itself...but the website is completely gone. It's ludicrous, actually, since Android outnumbers fruit users, that Android gets no app. I have a hard time believing that Apple cares...almost every app is available on both platforms. Except golf apps. Nike Golf, Tiger Woods Shotzoom, and Golf Channel Academy are all conspicuously absent from the Google store.
[/quote]

Fair question that us club experts do not know the answer to. We will ask our digital team if we have this figured out!

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1393979243' post='8799021']
We have seen a screenshot of Tiger's (presumed) club specifications. Could you make this information known for all of the Nike staff? GolfWRX is a different breed, you know. We would love to know lengths/lofts/lies of Nike staff irons, tipping on woods, face angles, etc.
[/quote]

Tour players generally ask that this information is confidential therefore it is important we obey their wishes!

[quote name='PCHulse' timestamp='1393641422' post='8768882']
Nike,

I've been using Nike clubs since 2002 when I was 6 years old and have continued to do so since then. To me, it's about much more than the equipment or quality product that I've always believed your company has put out, but rather it's the central message that always seems to keep me enthralled. It's about the athlete, it's about the journey, and it's about the wins. In my opinion, the tools that will help me along the way will always be Nike. Recently I've taken that mentality and developed a Senior Thesis (Using calculus and statistics to develop a course strategy) based around data accumulated from NG 360 and just want to comment that I love that app and it helps me a great deal.

Anyways, I'm holding out on new irons until we see a new blade offering hopefully sometime this year. We heard Tiger and Rory talk about this prototype during the match at Mission Hills and both commented how they flight the ball better with these clubs, so my question would be how does Nike plan on introducing innovation that we consistently see at the forefront of their other products into a blade to help us athletes perform to our best ability. Furthering upon the central theme of the athlete, I'd like to see some golf based programs integrated into the Fuel Band and possibly an update to NG 360 which allows for more detailed stat keeping sometime soon.

Keep up the awesome work and hopefully my bag will be all Nike ASAP.
:smilie_nike:
[/quote]

Thanks for being part of the team!

[quote name='resnor' timestamp='1393981105' post='8799203']

*cries in corner*
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Main target is North America. iPhones dominate it. Easier to support one platform than 2. Sucks but it's the way it is. I can't have it unless android has it as well but I understand why they don't support android.

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

[quote name='ryan17' timestamp='1393760448' post='8776734']
Every company says that you should launch the ball high with your driver, I know that in ideal conditions this is this is a key to distance but I live in nova scotia and it is very windy. Do you still think high launch is best even in extremely windy conditions?

Thanks ryan
[/quote]

There is an optimal window. We believe in playing the game. The window some companies profess is great for video games. The rest of us prefer to play golf outside. We will leave it at that.

[quote name='csiachos' timestamp='1393710733' post='8773288']
One more thing, people as consumers, like to play what they see on tour. The same goes for Rory's and Tiger's 3 woods and 5 woods. Last years Covert Performance woods were nowhere close to theirs. The thinner hosel, deeper face, and basic shape is different from the covert 1.0 and 2.0. I just wish that Nike would follow through with the same clubs as seem on tour... like Russell Henleys putter, Rory's putter, their woods, Tiger's driver, raw wedges that aren't black oxide, etc...
[/quote]

This is a fair statement. The tour is the ultimate proving ground for product. Much of the prototype product makes it to market in some fashion in future generations. Some doesn't. We have to make some tough decisions from time to time on what to release due to the fact there is a business aspect to this as well.