NIKE Q&A 2.0: Tour Van, Oven & Nike HQ answers questions 3/4/14. See transcripts here...

HipCheck

Thanks for taking the time to answer and give feedback for some of our questions.
My question on iron designs is that more and more companies are starting to go
with what I will call multi material construction. The bodies of the irons are
made from one type of metal and the face another usually thin steel. I'm assuming that there has to be welds from the face to the body. Structure wise will these make the face more apt for failure, or should I say inconsistencies?
Thanks

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Β Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kobes31' timestamp='1393469666' post='8754588']
Have you experimented with the square wood technology AND the cavity back technology for drivers/woods? The basic shape is almost already there looking at the sole of the Covert line. And I still can't find anything better for me than my trusty sumo2 4 wood!
[/quote]

[b]That is a really interesting thought. Tom’s (Stites) original idea was to bring the benefits of square to a golf club that was pleasing to the eye at address. Technology is hidden, aka β€œCovert”. I think we have done a nice job of bringing both worlds together![/b]

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1393955551' post='8795945']
Can I have Cheyenne Woods # ? :-) Not for me but for Boogaloo Jones
[/quote]

+500000000000000000000000000000000000

:)

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

Β 

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1393483343' post='8755946']
Which of your tour players is the most technical when it comes to their equipment? The least?

"All the tolerances are very tight for every player. All of our players are easy to work with because they articulate what they need very well." - RN

How often do coaches get involved during the fitting process?
[/quote]

"At times because when your swing changes, the specs on your clubs may need to change. Therefore we consult with the coaches as well as the players." - RN

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1393470498' post='8754714']
Question: Does the adjustment hosel on the Covert series truly separate loft and lie adjustment without one impacting the other when changed?

Thanks. And really appreciate it that Nike is opening the doors.
[/quote]

[size=4][b]TEAM OVEN: [/b]
[b][color=#000000]The FlexLoft system utilizes two sleeves that are off axis to each other and the hosel bore. It is a two ring adjustment that requires broaching a symmetrical pattern on each component. While complex in design and manufacturing it yields the easiest and most effective adjustments for changes of loft and face angle. Through years of testing and research we have verified ball flight of FlexLoft in every position compared to traditionally bonded clubs with different lofts. [/color][/b][/size]

[quote name='Nike Golf HQ' timestamp='1393956865' post='8796167']
[quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1393467969' post='8754322']
Based on your (Nike's) testing, what are the differences in spin and launch between the 1.0 and 2.0 Covert Tour drivers, assuming same shafts?
[/quote]

[b]Performance 14 v 13: .75ΒΊ higher launch, same spin[/b]
[b]Tour 14 v 13: .75ΒΊ higher launch, 300rpm more spin[/b]
[/quote]

How about Performance 14 vs. Tour 14. Thanks!

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

Hey guys, thanks for the time!

#1- what is the biggest challenge to staying competitive with other OEM's like Titleist and Taylor made?

#2- it seems like the Nike reputation has been harmed due to lack luster clubs if the past, like the CCI forged and vrs driver for consumers, not staffers. How are you mending that?

Thanks

Big Bertha 9* Diamana 70S
RBZ Tour 14.5* Diamana Ahina 82 X
Callaway Apex Pro forged 3-PW Rip Tour X
50*,54*,60* Callaway Forged Copper Wedge
Scotty Futura X Dual Balance

[quote name='Nike Golf HQ' timestamp='1393957027' post='8796201']
[quote name='youngunz5840' timestamp='1393469445' post='8754552']
The vrs forged irons were endo forged are the covert forged done by the same facilities? How much larger is the sweet spot on the new nexcor face?
[/quote]

[b]Same facility. Nexcor face creates a slightly larger sweetspot, but amazingly a faster face than last model![/b]
[/quote]
This answer may upset the mrs! I tried these and the feeling is awesome and hard to not hit great!

[quote name='justdoit22' timestamp='1393956633' post='8796125']
What's the biggest difference in the new pro combos? I had the originals and got the one's a couple years ago? Should I switch to the newest model?
[/quote]

[size=4][color=#000000][b]Versus the prior model, the Pocket Cavity technology has been extended further down the set (from 3 to 6 iron) to increase stability and tighten dispersion in what, for most golfers, are the hardest to hit clubs in the bag. The VR Forged Pro Combo set now features Pocket Cavity 3-6 and Split Cavity 7-PW. Furthermore, a new 'Shotmaking gel' has been injected into the Pocket Cavity to improve sound/feel and eliminate the harshness often associated with such a construction. New X3X 27 grooves increase the groove area behind the ball at impact, improving spin control and trajectory consistency in wet and dirty conditions. New variable trajectory True Temper DG Pro shaft offers the widest variation in trajectory of any shaft: high and strong trajectory in the long irons, flattening out to a low, piercing trajectory in the short irons[/b][/color][/size]

[quote name='Crowboy' timestamp='1393472882' post='8755030']
What do you tell the life long Titleist, Callaway or Taylor Made golfer why he/she should switch to Nike clubs and balls?
[/quote]

[size=4][b][color=#000000]Innovation and free thinking! We bring an athletic spin to this traditional sport. The majority of our team has come from other companies in the industry to Nike. Each and every time we are all amazed how we are pushed to think bigger and freer than where we came from. This ability allows us to break molds in an industry that tends to be stagnant and homogenous. Who else would have the guts to put a cavity in a driver? Who else years ago would have had the guts to eliminate the wound ball? Who else would think big enough to utilize RZN as the core and obsolete rubber? The foundation of Nike Inc. is innovation and doing things that no one else can imagine. This holds true in every category the Brand participates. It is the reason all of us have left other parts of the industry to build Nike Golf![/color][/b][/size]

[quote name='JHam10' timestamp='1393515137' post='8757486']
What is the proess and how much is involved in testing/designing/creating an "Oven" putter specific to a player's needs?

Also, would love a NikeID option for the Lunar Controls... let's make that happen!
[/quote]

"Everything we do on the putters is based on player feedback. So if they have goals they are trying to achieve we try to modify the putter to achieve those goals. It is the club you use the most so it has the most personal preferences built into it." - BG

"When an athlete visits the Oven they go through a putter fitting and we build it up there to their specs. At tournaments, we fit them on the putting green and either modify their current putter in the Tour Van or have the Oven build them something to suit their specs." - BG

Hi, just wondering if you have experimented implementing the compression channel into the covert line of drivers? (just a thought, loved this in the vr ltd driver)

Also, is there any possibility that the Nike fuel band could be used with the Nike golf 360 app for yardages or imputing course stats (fairways/greens hit and # of putts)?

Lastly, how does the rzn core compare to "traditionally" used cores in other golf balls and what would be an advantage to switching to a golf ball with a rzn core?

Thank you Nike and Golf WRX!

[quote name='russian7' timestamp='1393473709' post='8755140']

I love the new design...can you explain if cor is maxed for drivers with the same shaft what benefits the tour model provides over other manufacturers since the claim is 15% larger sweet spot, is that an overall increase in forgiveness or the sweet spot or both? Also can you explain how the cavity back design affects aerodynamics, swing speed, and stability?Thank you Nike!
[/quote]

[size=4][b][color=#000000]COR is always maxed. It would be rare to get a driver from any company nowadays where the COR is not maxed. The 15% larger refers to the face size versus last year on the Tour 2.0 (Performance is 7%). The MOI (forgiveness) is up on both models, slightly on the Performance SIGNIFICANTLY on the Tour. The Cavity has little to no effect on Aerodynamics or Swing Speed, but much to do about low spin and high forgiveness![/color][/b][/size]

[quote name='Nike Golf HQ' timestamp='1393956865' post='8796167']
[quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1393467969' post='8754322']
Based on your (Nike's) testing, what are the differences in spin and launch between the 1.0 and 2.0 Covert Tour drivers, assuming same shafts?
[/quote]

[b]Performance 14 v 13: .75ΒΊ higher launch, same spin[/b]
[b]Tour 14 v 13: .75ΒΊ higher launch, 300rpm more spin[/b]
[/quote]

Hi guys! Thanks a lot for the time today. Mike!!! Miss you. David Franklin... my putters and next to me. Love them and hoping the 006 "Franklin soft" comes to market on a limited basis.

Thanks for the differences in drivers from 2013 to 2014. Given the small tweaks I am puzzled why the 2 models are showing up more this year in our 2014 Rankings. We ask 6 world class fitters (Miles of Golf, Carls Golfland, Modern Golf, Mortons "Haggins Golf", and others) to rank equipment. In drivers they were asked to rank the top 5 for distance, forgiveness and then most importantly best "smash" or total performance.

This years Coverts are showing up more than last year. Why is that with minimal changes? Did the MOI improve on the tour head? CG change?

Richard

[quote name='foxycats' timestamp='1393523045' post='8758498']
[size=5][b][color=#ff0000]Nate, what achievement are you most proud of your team for?[/color][/b][/size][list]
[*][size=5][b][color=#ff0000]Tony, What is some of your thoughts or concerns when you are about to introduce a new product launch?[/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=5][b][color=#ff0000]Philip and Matt, How often do you two disagree on the direction of a certain product line?[/color][/b][/size]
[/list][list]
[*][size=5][b][color=#ff0000]Rick, Do you find Nike staffers to be ahead of the curve and hungry for tech, or are they more of a "i like what i like, don't change it" group?[/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=5][b][color=#ff0000]Ben, How often do you look in the mirror and say, "I have the best job in the world"?[/color][/b][/size]
[/list]
[/quote]

[b]"At this level, the expectation is to always innovate and stay ahead of the curve because if you aren’t someone else is. We have had athletes sign with us because of our ability to innovate." – RN[/b]

[b]"I am very fortunate to work with the best players in the world. And I am surrounded by the best team in the industry." - BG[/b]