NIKE Q&A 2.0: Tour Van, Oven & Nike HQ answers questions 3/4/14. See transcripts here...

HipCheck

[quote name='stk13' timestamp='1393473884' post='8755168']
I would like to ask if Nike plans to offer any more options in their putters in the near future? I mean this in regards to offering different/more finishes or any custom options.

This is mostly selfishly motivated, as I would absolutely kill for a NikeID type system within their putters, offering grip/paintfill options. I have always been really intrigued by the Nike Method system, and if I could customize the Mod 30 with paintfill, sight dot, and a stamp then I would own it right now.
[/quote]

[b]Much to come in the future on all subjects above![/b]

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bushy007' timestamp='1393474549' post='8755276']
Thanks for the opportunity GOLFwrx and Nike Golf. I am a big Nike golf fan and you guys are really kicking goals at the moment.
I have a couple.

When will the NG360 app be available in Australia?

What are the major advancements in the new ball technology? Ie what will I see?

What was the thinking behind the Golf Pride 2G Tour Wraps on the Covert range rather than the traditional Tour Velvet?

Can we please have access to the putter covers that the tour staff have? I Love the one that Rory is using atm.

Also I'm another advocate for releasing a TW and RM series of putters. I Love my 006 but one with a finish like Rory's would be awesome.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to the answers.
[/quote]

[b]Not sure exactly, but there is a group from WHQ heading to the region to review how to grow a stronger foundation down under. Too much untapped potential and we need to give our Australian supporters a better brand presence![/b]

[b]Since the 2G was launched 2 years ago, it has quickly become the #1 grip in aftermarket unit sales. This really raised our eyebrows…hence the consumer decides. When a component like this becomes #1, how can we not look strongly at it? Secondly, the compound allowed for shelf appeal in a rubber grip that is unmatched. It allows is to put out a vibrant white (that does not hold dirt) and a very vibrant red. Third, the grip performs![/b]

[quote name='JollyGreenBucket' timestamp='1393524010' post='8758630']
My question is:

Over the past few years, have you seen an increase in respect among other non-Nike pros as products like the Covert have been released? Sort of a "game respect game" concept?
[/quote]

"Yes. It takes time to establish credibility which we have done through the success of our athletes. A testament to that is we have a number of Covert 2.0 fairway woods in the bags of non-nike athletes." - BG

[quote name='justdoit22' timestamp='1393957144' post='8796223']
Why did you guys decide to go with the DG Pro shafts in Pro Combos instead of the dynamic gold for the 2014 Pro Combos?
[/quote]

[b]The True Temper DG Pro shaft was chosen as it perfectly compliments the progressive performance targets of the Pro Combo irons: high and strong trajectory in the long irons, flattening out to a low, piercing trajectory in the short irons[/b]

[quote name='chiguy' timestamp='1393474792' post='8755312']
What are your plans moving forward for the adjustable driver given the recent offerings from competitors? How much pressure do you feel to match their level of adjustability, or do you feel that there will not be long term success with all of it?

Thanks!
[/quote]

[b]At some point we are concerned that the competition will finally catch up to the ease and adjustment ability of our Flex Loft. When they do, rest assured we will be a phase or two beyond! As mentioned above, we never stop innovating! Adjustability is here to stay.[/b]

[quote name='SeeMoney09' timestamp='1393526960' post='8758972'] This question is for Rick and Ben: Can you take us through a typical day at the tournaments with the pros? Do they seek out your help in modifying clubs depending on the course conditions? Do you make your way to them after practice rounds/range sessions to see how everything is swinging? How often do you make adjustments during the tournament for the pros? Thank you all for the chance for us to see behind the scenes, and your time interacting with us common enthusiasts! [/quote]

"Yes, certain venues could possibly require a specialty club. Like an Open Championship where 2-irons are popular. The athletes also put fresh wedges in for Major Championships because they are typically firm and fast." - RN

"A typical day we just check in with the guys to see that they have everything they need for the week. We are the "pit crew" to make sure they have what they need to perform at their best. We work with them on the range, putting green, the course…it depends on what we are working on to determine where we work with them at a tournament site." – BG

[quote name='RjBern10' timestamp='1393477767' post='8755624']
Loved the VR Pro Combo set and was excited in 2013 when I heard about the new Pro Combo line. But being LH has it's disadvantages as the new PCs weren't released to us lefties.

Are there plans to expand the LH line in irons/putters?

Also, do you see Nike golf giving the average golfer more custom options as far as irons go? I.e. 3-PW in split cavity, etc.

Thanks!
[/quote]

[b]You will be a very happy Lefty this fall.[/b]

Hi Team Nike! These are the questions I posted before this started:

#1 - Does Nike plan on offering a black option or phase out the red paint in the Covert for some people that won't try it strictly because it's red? :)

#2 - What are the most commonly used wedge grind setups? Specifically the grinds in the 48, 54, 60.

#3 - What model of RZN ball is the most popular on tour? Which one is also the most unique (special, proto etc.) ?

#4 - What is on the horizon for the next versions of Nike's forged "Player" category blades and CB's?

#5 - Recently after some on course testing, I noticed differences in spin when switching my Covert 2.0 from Right to Neutral, any comments on this?

#6 - Does Tiger actually like the red paint? Or did it take some major $$$$$ ;) arm twisting to get him to jump on board with the red?

Bonus Question - When Nike paints on the grooves on Tiger and Rory's Method, which puts a purer roll on the ball? Acrylic or enamel? :tongue: Sorry, I was kidding.. it was a joke! :deadhorse:

Just wanted to thank you guys and WRX for everything when we visited the Oven, here is a picture of what it looks like now!

WITB-94.jpg

Rooting for you guys and Nike for a big year in 2014! :drinks: :smilie_nike:

-Tai from the WRX/Oven Trip

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='awil' timestamp='1393931244' post='8793785']
What is the sole ability difference in the soles on the new covert forged irons compared to the vrs forged . I know sometimes the soles would limit a few shots of certain grass ( really tight Grass & fairway bunkers). I'm in the market for new irons and would love to here what you have to say about this .
[/quote]

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @_aaron_wilson

[quote name='jwfgolfpro' timestamp='1393536296' post='8760354']
Question is for Tricky Ricky Nichols.

Who builds Tigers clubs?

Inside Joke: In a pinch would you lend a travel companion a pair of your [color=#444444][size=1][b]skivvies? LOL[/b][/size][/color]

[color=#444444][size=1][b]Sincerely,[/b][/size][/color]
[b][size=2][color=#444444]Freeman [/color][/size][/b]
[/quote]

[b]"John - If you have time to give me grief, you obviously aren’t working hard enough. LOL" - RN[/b]

[quote name='Nike Golf HQ' timestamp='1393957027' post='8796201']
[quote name='youngunz5840' timestamp='1393469445' post='8754552']
The vrs forged irons were endo forged are the covert forged done by the same facilities? How much larger is the sweet spot on the new nexcor face?
[/quote]

[b]Same facility. Nexcor face creates a slightly larger sweetspot, but amazingly a faster face than last model![/b]
[/quote]

I started a thread a few days ago after receiving 2 of 6 ranking reports from our Club Fitting panel that votes for our annual awards. The Covert Forged Irons are being ranked VERY high on the early reports. We are all looking around and in some cases taking a serious first look at the Covert forged as a contender. Off the charts distance, forgiveness and that obviously translates to smash numbers compared to others in the iron category.

What did you do? Are there actual COR, MOI or other actual numbers you could share comparing these to the 2013 VRS Forged?

Richard
---

Tony... where is my set? LOL

[attachment=2099517:2Y9G1905.jpg]

[quote name='nmanoles3' timestamp='1393479372' post='8755760']
Was Dave Stockton very influential in the newish Mod series methods? Further, how do you react when rumors circulate about staffers having fake grooves on their putters?

Great opportunity to have questions answered, thanks Nike and Golfwrx for making this happen!
[/quote]

[b]The MOD line was developed prior to the Stockton’s becoming a part of our team. [/b]
[b]We are always testing new and better ways to achieve perfect roll with Method Technology. Rest assured all of the players that you see with a Polymetal Patterned face has polymer and metal on the face. The notion of a "painted face" on a Method putter makes David Franklin cringe![/b]

[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1393479506' post='8755766']
I believe Nike was actually the first major OEM to really use low and forward CG with the covert. That being said... How much better is the covert 2.0 tour with low and forward CG?

Also what makes your offering better than those of the other major OEMs?
[/quote]

[b]While we believe in low spin, we also believe that MOI is a relevant measurement of the golf club. We also believe that a golf club should work beyond an indoor launch monitor and help golfer’s achieve better scores. Hitting proper launch windows with a high launch, low spin product that is effective on off center hits is why you should choose Covert 2.0![/b]

When developing new equipment do you guys try to develop against what the other brands are doing or have out or do you have an idea in mind with regards to what you want to achieve regardless of what other manufacturers are doing?

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

[quote name='Nike Golf HQ' timestamp='1393958664' post='8796493']
[quote name='nmanoles3' timestamp='1393479372' post='8755760']
Was Dave Stockton very influential in the newish Mod series methods? Further, how do you react when rumors circulate about staffers having fake grooves on their putters?

Great opportunity to have questions answered, thanks Nike and Golfwrx for making this happen!
[/quote]

[b]The MOD line was developed prior to the Stockton’s becoming a part of our team. [/b]
[b]We are always testing new and better ways to achieve perfect roll with Method Technology. Rest assured all of the players that you see with a Polymetal Patterned face has polymer and metal on the face. The notion of a "painted face" on a Method putter makes David Franklin cringe![/b]
[/quote]

This needs to be pinned to the top of the putter forum :busted_cop:

[quote name='Nike Golf HQ' timestamp='1393958664' post='8796493']
[b] Rest assured all of the players that you see with a Polymetal Patterned face has polymer and metal on the face. The notion of a "painted face" on a Method putter makes David Franklin cringe![/b]
[/quote]

So are you saying definitively that there is not a single player on tour utilizing a Nike Method putter with method grooves that have been pained on the face?

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1393958636' post='8796491']
[quote name='Nike Golf HQ' timestamp='1393957027' post='8796201']
[quote name='youngunz5840' timestamp='1393469445' post='8754552']
The vrs forged irons were endo forged are the covert forged done by the same facilities? How much larger is the sweet spot on the new nexcor face?
[/quote]

[b]Same facility. Nexcor face creates a slightly larger sweetspot, but amazingly a faster face than last model![/b]
[/quote]

I started a thread a few days ago after receiving 2 of 6 ranking reports from our Club Fitting panel that votes for our annual awards. The Covert Forged Irons are being ranked VERY high on the early reports. We are all looking around and in some cases taking a serious first look at the Covert forged as a contender. Off the charts distance, forgiveness and that obviously translates to smash numbers compared to others in the iron category.

What did you do? Are there actual COR, MOI or other actual numbers you could share comparing these to the 2013 VRS Forged?

Richard
---

Tony... where is my set? LOL

[attachment=2099517:2Y9G1905.jpg]
[/quote]

[b]The previous model was an “underground rock star” as well. We took the knowledge garnered from that model and made some modifications. First was to add NexCOR to the face which heated it up even more. Secondly was the refinement of the shaping throughout the set, but most drastically on the long irons. It is an incredible game improvement club for the better player and now that the sole is invisible at address on the long irons, it should open itself up to an even wider audience to enjoy. It is VERY long and very easy to hit, while feeling great. [/b]

[b]As for your set...we are send a shuttle up for the moondust encrystaled ferrules you asked for, hence lead time is a longer than normal.[/b]

To the Tour Guys:

How often do the guys on tour change out grips on their clubs? Does anyone in particular use any unusual specs... ( 9 wraps, ribs... ?)

Thanks!

I am shooting for an entire NIKE bag this season! Love the new RZN Ball offerings.

Taylormade M5 w/ Tenesi Orange 60x 
Taylormade M5 3w/5w w/ Tenesi Orange 70x   
Callaway Apex Pro Combo PX 6.0
Vokey SM7 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Titleist Pro-V1x