2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf week announces new state rankings for best public courses -- any surprises in your home state?

I can't believe Lawsonia is ranked so high in Wisconsin. Lawsonia is not in the same league as Erin Hills...I think Wild Rock is a better course as well.

For Minnesota, The Refuge should not be on this list. I think The Legends, Chaska Town Course, Giant's Ridge (Legend) are all better courses. I think the Jewel is a great course, but ranked too high on this list.

I also thought the Giant's Ridge courses were better than The Wilderness.

So much is personal preference and overall experience that it makes these rankings pretty difficult.

Ping Woods, Irons and Wedges
Cameron Phantom X9.5

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shocked that The Hills course at Boyne Highlands made the Top 20 for Michigan...in my opinion the worst course designed there.

All those courses in the Top 20 in Michigan are fantastic...simply great courses. The Orchards is a great track, along with the University of Michigans course, that is the best university course in the state in my opinion.

Driver: Tour Issued TaylorMade M4, 9.1 Deg // Matrix VLCT 60g X flex
3 Wood: Tour Issued TaylorMade M1, 3HL 17.1 Deg // Diamana D+ 82g X flex
3 Iron: Adams DHY 21 Deg // Matrix White Tie 83g X Flex
Irons: TaylorMade MC (2011) 4-PW // Project X 6.5
Wedges: Callaway MD4, 52, 56 & 60 // TT DG Tour Issued S200
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 
Bag: Titelst StaDry

Grip: GolfPride MCC Team Red/Yellow (Calgary Flames colors)

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1395757803' post='8946459']
[quote name='slim16er' timestamp='1395755234' post='8946225']
A buddy of mine built Blackstone in IL back in 08-09. He told them to wait an extra year to let the greens grow in. Of course Blackstone didn't and they were bashed the first year for the condition. Now, 5-6 years later they are the most pristine public greens in IL.

I think Highlands is rated a bit too high, but the visuals of the track are amazing. It's definitely a hidden gem, but not sure it's #2.

Also very surprised Aldeen didn't make the list. It's usually up near the top in IL. For the price, you will not find a better public track in IL.
[/quote]

I played Blackstone the first year it opened, and the greens were OK compared to the other surrounding courses. Fast forward to today, and they're probably the best (public) greens in Illinois.

I agree with your assessment of Highlands. It's a top 10 course, but not #2.

I was surprised Aldeen didn't make the list, too. It has in prior years. I found the course a bit too narrow for my liking, and the conditions were a bit spotty when I played it. However, for the price, it's one hell of a value. If you add it to the list, though, you'd have to add Prairie Landing, no?
[/quote]

I would be ok with adding Prairie Landing to the list. Beautiful course and I haven't played it where the conditions have been the same twice.

Again, I lack the appreciation for Harborside that others hold for it. I don't mean to beat it up, but I would easily remove it in favor of Prairie Landing, Aldeen or even Prairieview in Byron.

Titleist TSi3 Driver
Taylormade M6 15 3-Wood
Titleist u500 2i
Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
Titleist Vokey Wedges 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Tour X
Titleist Pro V1

RLX Apparel with Footjoy Shoes & Gloves

[quote name='ctfuzz21' timestamp='1395761916' post='8947023']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1395757803' post='8946459']
[quote name='slim16er' timestamp='1395755234' post='8946225']
A buddy of mine built Blackstone in IL back in 08-09. He told them to wait an extra year to let the greens grow in. Of course Blackstone didn't and they were bashed the first year for the condition. Now, 5-6 years later they are the most pristine public greens in IL.

I think Highlands is rated a bit too high, but the visuals of the track are amazing. It's definitely a hidden gem, but not sure it's #2.

Also very surprised Aldeen didn't make the list. It's usually up near the top in IL. For the price, you will not find a better public track in IL.
[/quote]

I played Blackstone the first year it opened, and the greens were OK compared to the other surrounding courses. Fast forward to today, and they're probably the best (public) greens in Illinois.

I agree with your assessment of Highlands. It's a top 10 course, but not #2.

I was surprised Aldeen didn't make the list, too. It has in prior years. I found the course a bit too narrow for my liking, and the conditions were a bit spotty when I played it. However, for the price, it's one hell of a value. If you add it to the list, though, you'd have to add Prairie Landing, no?
[/quote]

I would be ok with adding Prairie Landing to the list. Beautiful course and I haven't played it where the conditions have been the same twice.

Again, I lack the appreciation for Harborside that others hold for it. I don't mean to beat it up, but I would easily remove it in favor of Prairie Landing, Aldeen or even Prairieview in Byron.
[/quote]

Strangely, Harborside is less than the sum of its parts. If you take any hole in isolation, and look at its strengths and weaknesses, there are numerous great holes on the two courses, and only a handful of mediocre holes. However, when you play them all, it does start to feel more-or-less the same. Prairie Landing, with the water and trees, does have a different feel between the front and back.

My biggest beefs are, 1) they need sand in many of the greenside bunkers, as sculling shots off the hardpan is really getting old, b) they need to add a 'Combo' (Blue/White) teebox, as there's 600 to 700 yards difference between the Blues and Whites, which is a tad too much, especially on cold, windy days. Oh yeah, a 20% price drop would be nice, too. :-)

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1395761710' post='8947001']
... Nice list, glad to see Ballyneal omitted from Colorado, it usually is ranked above Cherry Hills and Castle Pines, places the tour has actually played.
[/quote]

Since the lists we are discussing in this thread are the "Best you can play..." (i.e. Public courses), Ballyneal would not be on there, nor would Cherry Hills or Castle Pines - all private courses.

Also, I'm quite certain that the Golfweek rating criteria does not give points to "places the Tour has actually played," nor should it ever.

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1395774243' post='8948661']
... Nice list, glad to see Ballyneal omitted from Colorado, it usually is ranked above Cherry Hills and Castle Pines, places the tour has actually played.
[/quote]

Since the lists we are discussing in this thread are the "Best you can play..." (i.e. Public courses), Ballyneal would not be on there, nor would Cherry Hills or Castle Pines - all private courses.

Also, I'm quite certain that the Golfweek rating criteria does not give points to "places the Tour has actually played," nor should it ever.
[/quote]

You're right, sorry for the rant. You can play Ballyneal, just call or email them.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1395328308' post='8910851']
No Michiganders here? What's the deal with Bay Harbor? It used to be ranked right near the top.

On the flipside, there are a lot of courses on the list that I haven't seen listed before. 'Looks like another road trip is around the corner.

It's a bummer that True North went private. I played it the first year it opened, and it was a true gem. When I think of Michigan golf with rolling terrain and pine trees, True North is what comes to mind.
[/quote]

[color=#000080]True North is a true gem....just behind Arcadia & Forest Dunes IMO. [/color]

[color=#000080]As for Bay Harbor....some great holes mixed in with some ordinary holes. A very good course but not in the same league as the ones previously mentioned.[/color]

TPC Scottsdale does not belong on any best of lists. Unless it the the best of fun PGA Tour events.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='eagles1' timestamp='1395339391' post='8912145']
South Carolina read was interesting. They have "Pine Lakes" in Myrtle Beach ranked ahead of Barefoot Landing "Fazio". They also have Legends "Moorland" and "Heritage" ahead of Barefoot "Fazio" and Tidewater.

Huh.... :dntknw:
[/quote]

The South Carolina list makes me shake my head... First off there is no way that any of the 3 courses at Legends should be on that list. Also Pine Lakes making it over a handful of other courses even in the Myrtle Beach area is laughable. Caledonia in the 3 spot is also way overrated IMO

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1395500668' post='8924965']
Mass. here. They have Red Tail as #2. I didn't like that course at all. Conditions were good - not great - but I didnxt like the layout at all.
[/quote]

Red Tail at 2 is silly. Crumpin Fox and The Ranch are way better rounds of golf. I only can weigh in on Mass. and SC and I know these lists are off. I imagine other states are way off as well. It is subjective I guess, but I would say a majority would feel the same

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]

[quote name='Ninja' timestamp='1395974460' post='8966165']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1395328308' post='8910851']
No Michiganders here? What's the deal with Bay Harbor? It used to be ranked right near the top.

On the flipside, there are a lot of courses on the list that I haven't seen listed before. 'Looks like another road trip is around the corner.

It's a bummer that True North went private. I played it the first year it opened, and it was a true gem. When I think of Michigan golf with rolling terrain and pine trees, True North is what comes to mind.
[/quote]

[color=#000080]True North is a true gem....just behind Arcadia & Forest Dunes IMO. [/color]

[color=#000080]As for Bay Harbor....some great holes mixed in with some ordinary holes. A very good course but not in the same league as the ones previously mentioned.[/color]
[/quote]

Hmmm, I would take True North over Arcadia any day of the week. I seriously thought Arcadia was "cartoonish". It's as if they gave a 5 year old a bulldozer in a sandbox, and said, "Here, have fun". Some of the contouring on the greens is simply overdone. It's like Jack Nicklaus was in a really pissy mood, and decided to screw with us. :-) Compared to Bandon, Arcadia just seems manufactured.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1396018292' post='8968357']
Hmmm, I would take True North over Arcadia any day of the week. I seriously thought Arcadia was "cartoonish". It's as if they gave a 5 year old a bulldozer in a sandbox, and said, "Here, have fun". Some of the contouring on the greens is simply overdone. It's like Jack Nicklaus was in a really pissy mood, and decided to screw with us. :-) Compared to Bandon, Arcadia just seems manufactured.
[/quote]

[color=#000080]Interesting take on Arcadia. I've never played Bandon and I'm definitely not a course architect but I recall it being a very memorable experience. A great practice facility....lunch on the patio overlooking Lake Michigan and a very challenging round of golf on a layout like no other.[/color]

[quote name='CHARGERS' timestamp='1395253713' post='8905483']
Maryland
Lake Pres. should not be #3 and Queenstown, River Course belongs on the list around 7th
[/quote]
I agree about Lake Presidential. I don't think it belongs on the list at all. And Lighthouse Sound should be further up as well as Queenstown River course.

FLORIDA- I can't comment on many of the courses but to put Shi#### Creek ANYWHERE on this list and not include both of Orange County National's Courses? This list has no real credibility and must certainly be a VERY BIASED and bogus attempt at an honest rating. Shingle Creek? Really? Come on ,,who are you kidding. How much did Rosen comp you for that?

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1395976031' post='8966339']
South Carolina read was interesting. They have "Pine Lakes" in Myrtle Beach ranked ahead of Barefoot Landing "Fazio". They also have Legends "Moorland" and "Heritage" ahead of Barefoot "Fazio" and Tidewater.

[/quote]

The South Carolina list makes me shake my head... First off there is no way that any of the 3 courses at Legends should be on that list. Also Pine Lakes making it over a handful of other courses even in the Myrtle Beach area is laughable. Caledonia in the 3 spot is also way overrated IMO
[/quote]
I agree that pine lakes and the legend courses might be a bit overrated per their list....but what spot would you rank Caledonia if it's way overrated??
Also, who would u add to the list, just curious because I think Caledonia is really a great public course.

I would easily put the Dunes Club ahead of Caledonia. True Blue, Grande Dunes Resort Course, TPC are better courses IMO and that's just in the MB area. It's a definite top 10 but #3 with Kiawah and Harbour town no way.

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Dye Course at Barefoot didn't even make the list. Amazingly bad omission.

[quote name='poppyhillsguy' timestamp='1396270049' post='8985521']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That is because they are technically private I believe. I could be wrong though and if they left off The Dye and put in Legends and Pine Lakes someone is drunk...

North Carolina guy here. Mid Pines is overrated and the absence of any of the following baffles me:

Rivers Edge
Bryan Park Champions Course
Mt Mitchell
Lonnie Poole
Chapel Ridge

Would play a lot of those courses over some listed.

As for SC, Caledonia is overrated. Didn't find it to be a fantastic course. What about Wild Dunes? Tidewater is underrated.

[size="2"][size=2][color="#1F497D"]This is pretty incredible…Back9Network and Swing By Swing will send you on a golf vacation to a course you can pick. [/color][url="https://west.exch029.serverdata.net/owa/redir.aspx?C=7DibpsIajk-9hO6n4pghln8XmsSGINEIU-WKIaPG1mTJh7wIef2NuO5PSYyYheCRm150cw5RnbY.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.onceinalifestyle.com"]www.onceinalifestyle.com[/url][/size][/size]

Interesting take on Arcadia. I've never played Bandon and I'm definitely not a course architect but I recall it being a very memorable experience. A great practice facility....lunch on the patio overlooking Lake Michigan and a very challenging round of golf on a layout like no other.

Don't get me wrong. It's definitely a memorable round, and the staff and facilities are top notch. I just had a beef with the over-use of the bulldozer. The mounding along the fairways just doesn't seem natural. If I recall correctly, #10 is especially "sculpted".

CIMG0052.JPG

Vs.

20130814_111152.jpg

[/quote]

[/quote]

The SC list is bizarre. Pine Lakes has history but is a fairly average track at best. It would not be on my SC top 25 list at all.

I live in IL, but grew up in MI and play many of these courses.

ILLINOIS - Dubs is just what it is...old school and hard. I compare it to Olympia Fields, where there is no flash or modernness. You have to place your shots, and you'll get severely punished if you do not. Is it #1? Maybe...What else could be #1?
Agree with most, that I really like Highlands of Elgin, but #2? Ravisloe needs to drop about 15 to 20 spots. If that course is better than TPC Deere Run, Eagle Ridge, Thunderhawk, Stonewall, Mistwood, and about 10 other courses that IL people have mentioned then these raters are smoking tons of drugs or getting paid off. I guess the latter. I feel that Chicago area course ratings are stuck in history and tradition, versus what today's golfers want from a golf environment. Everyone knows Harborside is a rip off, but it is close to the city. The ranking is obviously garbage.

MICHIGAN - I feel like these rankings are a toss up other than the top three. I would rather play Forest Dunes than any other course on this list. Lakewood Shores resort is a motel, but with one very nice course. I've play 80% of these, and I couldn't rate any higher than the others outside the top three. Tullymore is ok, and I think Pilgrim's Run is better. I don't get how the Orchards makes this list every year. Bay Harbor is a gimmick.

WISCONSIN - Having played all the Geneva, Kohler courses and Erin Hills, what should I hit up next near Milwaukee? The Bull, The Bog, Brown Deer? Make the drive to Lawsonia? Anything else close to Milwaukee?

Interesting take on Arcadia. I've never played Bandon and I'm definitely not a course architect but I recall it being a very memorable experience. A great practice facility....lunch on the patio overlooking Lake Michigan and a very challenging round of golf on a layout like no other.

Don't get me wrong. It's definitely a memorable round, and the staff and facilities are top notch. I just had a beef with the over-use of the bulldozer. The mounding along the fairways just doesn't seem natural. If I recall correctly, #10 is especially "sculpted".

CIMG0052.JPG

Vs.

20130814_111152.jpg

I agree with you 100 percent. Its a fun round at Arcadia I just felt it was over hyped. I like more of the natural feel to links courses.

I don't live in Nebraska but have played 4 of the 5. Nice list, glad to see Ballyneal omitted from Colorado, it usually is ranked above Cherry Hills and Castle Pines, places the tour has actually played.
[/quote]

So you've played Ballyneal and still prefer Castle Pines?

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1396271297' post='8985639']
[quote name='poppyhillsguy' timestamp='1396270049' post='8985521']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That is because they are technically private I believe. I could be wrong though and if they left off The Dye and put in Legends and Pine Lakes someone is drunk...
[/quote]

Excellent point.

[quote name='jchungum' timestamp='1396282280' post='8986987']
WISCONSIN - Having played all the Geneva, Kohler courses and Erin Hills, what should I hit up next near Milwaukee? The Bull, The Bog, Brown Deer? Make the drive to Lawsonia? Anything else close to Milwaukee?
[/quote]

'Definitely play The Bull, Jack's little torture test. Tough as nails, and a very good value.

[quote name='asommers14' timestamp='1396283921' post='8987215']
I agree with you 100 percent. Its a fun round at Arcadia I just felt it was over hyped. I like more of the natural feel to links courses.
[/quote]

A true links course is going to have some forgiveness off the tee to allow for windy conditions. If you wind up in the crap, it's because you hit a very poor shot. However, the crap at Arcadia is often 3 yards off the narrow fairway. On top of that, you're not only hitting out of tall grass, you're hitting off a severe side or downhill lie. It felt narrow in mild winds. In strong winds, the thing has got to be nearly unplayable.