2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf week announces new state rankings for best public courses -- any surprises in your home state?

I was glad to see both Whirlwind courses listed for Arizona in Chandler (Phoenix suburb). I was at that resort (Sheraton Wild Horse Pass) a few years ago and they were both great. Great quality and good value compared with some of the expensive Scottsdale courses. I would never really see them getting any mention in various media however.

As to the Maryland courses I would disagree with Graystone being listed. Nice course but lot's of better choices (in my opinion) available:

Queenstown, Mountain Branch, Swan Point, Waverly Woods, Blue Mash, River Run, Rum Point (in no particular order)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1395262081' post='8906455']
I was glad to see both Whirlwind courses listed for Arizona in Chandler (Phoenix suburb). I was at that resort (Sheraton Wild Horse Pass) a few years ago and they were both great. Great quality and good value compared with some of the expensive Scottsdale courses. I would never really see them getting any mention in various media however.

As to the Maryland courses I would disagree with Graystone being listed. Nice course but lot's of better choices (in my opinion) available:

Queenstown, Mountain Branch, Swan Point, Waverly Woods, Blue Mash, River Run, Rum Point (in no particular order)
[/quote]
Yeah Greystone is on the bubble, agreed....not sure I would rank River Run higher though, the rest of your list is solid.
Forgot all about Swan Point, been a long time since I played down there....

IV played 2 of the courses listed for WV. I can say that The Old White TPC is a great course and I had a blast playing it. Overall experience at the Greenbrier was great. From what Iv heard the Glade Spring courses are great, really want to play them sometime. But for me the next course to cross off my list to play is the Raven at Snowshoe. The surprise was Stonewall resort. Having played it several times, I can say it is pretty course but I never seem to enjoy playing the course. One I would add to the list is Fisher Mountain in Franklin, WV,which is an absolute hole in the wall but by far this is one of the prettiest mountain course there is.

I have played 8 of those of the list. #9 is also close by so I should be able to hit it soon.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='GodSpeed' timestamp='1395256245' post='8905775']
Nice to see Cuscowilla #1 for GA. Playing in a Pro-Am there April 5th. Anyone played there and have any tips so I don't embarrass myself? ;)
[/quote]

First to your question... No specific tips... Part of the course is links style, part woodlands, part lake course.... I am not a fan of the design... Had to redo greens a few years back due to poor weather and an incompetent superintendent...

I would rank it on the list of 15 around 10 or 12... Sea Island is better... Some of the other Reynolds courses are more like a traditional lake course... Didn't realize Legends allowed public access now... But it is a very nice, classic design... Harbour Club, UGA and Arrowhead are surprises... Each solid... But none of them are that memorable....

Best regards....

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1395254559' post='8905595']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1395252526' post='8905347']
[quote name='Gdane' timestamp='1395252189' post='8905307']
At #2 in Illinois, I find the Highlands of Elgin to be very overrated. I'd take ThunderHawk (#12) all day everyday over the Highlands.

Also, Bucks Run in Michigan continues to get ignored, having missed the top 20 in Michigan. Love that track. It looks like I'll be checking off 3 of the top 15 in Michigan this summer (Greywalls, TimberStone, and Sweetgrass). Can't wait.
[/quote]

With you completely on Buck's Run and would add Pohlcat to that list, too.
[/quote]

I rate Highlands above Thunderhawk, but not by much. The quarry nine is a visual treat in a relatively flat area.

I'm quite shocked that Ravisloe climbed to #6. I like the course, but I wouldn't rank it in the best in state. I'd put Blackstone (Marengo), or Prairie Landing (West Chicago) in the list over Ravisloe. I certainly wouldn't rate it higher than TPC Deere Run.
[/quote]

I wonder what keeps Blackstone from making these lists? As far as publics go...I would have to say it fits in there somewhere. I have played 9 of the 15 on the list. I haven't played Blackstone enough to say "it has to be on that list", but I cant think of better greens.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1395257343' post='8905881']
[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1395255655' post='8905715']
Arizona's list is pretty good except for putting TPC Stadium course so high....it would not make my top 25 list here.

The biggest snub is Vista Verde which would be in the top 10 easily and likely top 5 on many peoples list that live here in AZ.

A couple of courses like Legend Trail, Longbow, Raven Phoenix, Sedona Golf Resort, Oak Creek are bordeline(bubble) courses.
[/quote]

Any course at the end of an active runway, e.g. Longbow, should be automatically excluded. How one can enjoy a round of golf with airplanes buzzing 100 feet overhead is beyond me. :-)
[/quote]

What airplanes? (cool)

I guess Golfweek agrees with you as Longbow has slipped off the list this year.

Nothing really "surprises" me about these lists. I accept that my views on what makes for good golf courses differs from the majority. I thought the Canyon course at Ventana was a joke. I agree with Joe, Vista Verde should be top ten. Los Caballeros should be on there as well.

The Golfweek rating method and Brad Klein's visions on golf architecture tend to align with my own, but I'm not sure about how they make these state lists. I know that for their top 100 lists, a course can't appear until a good number of raters have visited, but yet Sewailo appears on the Arizona list after being open only a few months (?).

And how does Arizona get 25 courses? Really once you get beyond the top 10-15, you are getting into average territory with any of 20 or so courses that are interchangeable in quality.

Really must get over to play this Laughlin Ranch sometime soon.

I live in Northern Va, I can't believe Laurel Hills made the list.

It not a bad course but not top of the state.

It was built on an old state prison property, you can still see the guard towers while playing. Not exactly visually appealing.

It's more expensive to play than most of the other munis in the area, and I can't see why.

[quote name='lordbyron' timestamp='1395285357' post='8908951']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1395254559' post='8905595']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1395252526' post='8905347']
[quote name='Gdane' timestamp='1395252189' post='8905307']
At #2 in Illinois, I find the Highlands of Elgin to be very overrated. I'd take ThunderHawk (#12) all day everyday over the Highlands.

Also, Bucks Run in Michigan continues to get ignored, having missed the top 20 in Michigan. Love that track. It looks like I'll be checking off 3 of the top 15 in Michigan this summer (Greywalls, TimberStone, and Sweetgrass). Can't wait.
[/quote]

With you completely on Buck's Run and would add Pohlcat to that list, too.
[/quote]

I rate Highlands above Thunderhawk, but not by much. The quarry nine is a visual treat in a relatively flat area.

I'm quite shocked that Ravisloe climbed to #6. I like the course, but I wouldn't rank it in the best in state. I'd put Blackstone (Marengo), or Prairie Landing (West Chicago) in the list over Ravisloe. I certainly wouldn't rate it higher than TPC Deere Run.
[/quote]

I wonder what keeps Blackstone from making these lists? As far as publics go...I would have to say it fits in there somewhere. I have played 9 of the 15 on the list. I haven't played Blackstone enough to say "it has to be on that list", but I cant think of better greens.
[/quote]

Agreed on the greens. The greens were so damng slow at most places last year that I actually got down on my knees and kissed the green on the 1st hole at Blackstone last summer. They were super smooth, and rolling like a pool table. :-)

Anyone who makes it out to play Highlands of Elgin or Bowes Creek should drive the extra 15 to 20 minutes to Marengo and check out Blackstone. I think it's worth the trip.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1395320542' post='8910067']
Arizona's list is pretty good except for putting TPC Stadium course so high....it would not make my top 25 list here.

The biggest snub is Vista Verde which would be in the top 10 easily and likely top 5 on many peoples list that live here in AZ.

A couple of courses like Legend Trail, Longbow, Raven Phoenix, Sedona Golf Resort, Oak Creek are bordeline(bubble) courses.
[/quote]

Any course at the end of an active runway, e.g. Longbow, should be automatically excluded. How one can enjoy a round of golf with airplanes buzzing 100 feet overhead is beyond me. :-)
[/quote]

What airplanes? (cool)

Nothing really "surprises" me about these lists. I accept that my views on what makes for good golf courses differs from the majority. I thought the Canyon course at Ventana was a joke. I agree with Joe, Vista Verde should be top ten. Los Caballeros should be on there as well.

The Golfweek rating method and Brad Klein's visions on golf architecture tend to align with my own, but I'm not sure about how they make these state lists. I know that for their top 100 lists, a course can't appear until a good number of raters have visited, but yet Sewailo appears on the Arizona list after being open only a few months (?).

And how does Arizona get 25 courses? Really once you get beyond the top 10-15, you are getting into average territory with any of 20 or so courses that are interchangeable in quality.

[/quote]

The TPC Champions course is another one with an infestation of Cessnas. Whirlwind has a similar problem, PIR. :-)

I played Viste Verde the first year it opened. Has the housing around the course developed? I believe there was only one house on the course when I played it, which was very nice. :-) Did they manage to build a clubhouse?

I played Quintero for the first time back in January, and while it should certainly make the list, there's no way I'd put it at #2. There's no way it rates higher than Dove Mountain, which I would put at #1, slightly edging out Saguaro.

I don't see the love for Talking Stick. Dead flat. Greens like rock that slope towards the OB fence. Not horrible, but not top in state.

I have to assume that there has to be a mininum number of ratings per course to make the list, and the list size is proportional to the number of total courses rated in the state. Arizona public courses are numerous, and get a lot of play.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

[quote name='highdraw69' timestamp='1395248211' post='8904855']
Golfweek just sent out an email with their 2014 rankings of top public courses, broken down state-by-state. I must admit I was startled at the rankings for my home state (Minnesota). I have played 7 of the 10 courses ranked, and dozens of other top public tracks in the state. Did you see any surprises or major snubs in your home state?

[url="http://golfweek.com/news/2014/mar/19/golf-courses-golfweeks-best-state-by-state-2014/"]http://golfweek.com/...-by-state-2014/[/url]
[/quote]

In Missouri, Branson Creek (now Buffalo Ridge) has always been the concensus #1. I see they have dropped to #3 and the Payne Stewart Course has jumped to #1. Probably having to do with BC being closed for a while, but now reopened.

I've played Whistling Straits in Wisconsin (#1) and will knock off #2 (Blackwolf Run) and #4 (Erin Hills) this summer.

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1395250342' post='8905109']
NY has some great courses. I have played 4 on the list and this year it will grow to at least 7 because I am scheduled to play 3 I have not yet. It's amazing that Turning Stone has all 3 of their courses on here. I've played 2 of the 3 and will play Kaluhyat this year. They command steep pricing though. Atunyote is $250 and the others are $150... but the cool thing is that if you can work 2 rounds in you can buy a replay at the others at $100 and $50 respectively.

Playing Leatherstocking in a four-ball this year in May and Saratoga National at some point. Looking forward to that.
[/quote]

which ones have you played?

TM R1 Blk NS Pro Regio MB
TM R11 TP Fujikura Speeder
Titleist 710 CB KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM 52.08 56.11 60.04
Bettinardi BB16 34"

No Michiganders here? What's the deal with Bay Harbor? It used to be ranked right near the top.

On the flipside, there are a lot of courses on the list that I haven't seen listed before. 'Looks like another road trip is around the corner.

It's a bummer that True North went private. I played it the first year it opened, and it was a true gem. When I think of Michigan golf with rolling terrain and pine trees, True North is what comes to mind.

[quote name='highdraw69' timestamp='1395249322' post='8904977']
i was stunned at The Jewel being #3; Meadows at #6 and Refuge at #10...my home course Legends is usually in top 5 and wasn't even listed. I have no argument with Wilderness at #1...but there are many great public tracks in MN, so I guess the debate could be healthy as to the top 10!
[/quote]
That list is a joke. Totally agree with you. The Jewel and Meadows could be left off that list completely. Legends definitely is a top 3-5 course.

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59
Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2

I really need to make a trek up to Lawsonia and Wild Rock in Wisconsin. Are there other courses near The Dells worth playing that aren't on the list? A stop at Verona might be on the agenda, too.

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1395253034' post='8905403'] [size=4]Kansas:[/size][list] [*]5. Prairie Highlands, Olathe (m) [/list][background=transparent] That's a joke, right?[/background] [/quote]

yeah, this one is no good. I like PH just fine, and it's my default course for when I'm trying to find somewhere to fit a group with WIDELY varying abilities.

but I mean Falcon Ridge, Golf Club of Kansas, Ironhorse, Sycamore Ridge, Dubs Dread....personally I would rank all of these higher than PH. Sycamore is a little unplayable for the higher capper, same with Ironhorse.

But I think they got the other 4 listed right, so not bad.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1395328654' post='8910903']
I really need to make a trek up to Lawsonia and Wild Rock in Wisconsin. Are there other courses near The Dells worth playing that aren't on the list? A stop at Verona might be on the agenda, too.
[/quote]

You'll be disappointed in Lawsonia if you go expecting it to live up to its ranking. Great, tough course with some of the most elevated greens I've ever seen, but lots of condition issues including one green that is essentially unplayable. Still worth playing and 36 holes there with the Woodlands course for under $200 is a great way to spend a day golfing.

Definitely go to Verona. For under $90, U Ridge is one of the best deals you'll find anywhere. Amazing course.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1395327084' post='8910683']
[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1395320542' post='8910067']

[/quote]

[/quote]

What airplanes? (cool)

[/quote]

The TPC Champions course is another one with an infestation of Cessnas. Whirlwind has a similar problem, PIR. :-)

I played Viste Verde the first year it opened. Has the housing around the course developed? I believe there was only one house on the course when I played it, which was very nice. :-) Did they manage to build a clubhouse?

I played Quintero for the first time back in January, and while it should certainly make the list, there's no way I'd put it at #2. There's no way it rates higher than Dove Mountain, which I would put at #1, slightly edging out Saguaro.

I don't see the love for Talking Stick. Dead flat. Greens like rock that slope towards the OB fence. Not horrible, but not top in state.

I have to assume that there has to be a mininum number of ratings per course to make the list, and the list size is proportional to the number of total courses rated in the state. Arizona public courses are numerous, and get a lot of play.
[/quote]

No way in hell is Dino mountain #1!

I'd actually put southern dunes ahead of Wekopa, I don't think there's a weak hole out there while Wekopa has some faults.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='tekin112000' timestamp='1395322925' post='8910289']
I live in Northern Va, I can't believe Laurel Hills made the list.

It not a bad course but not top of the state.

It was built on an old state prison property, you can still see the guard towers while playing. Not exactly visually appealing.

It's more expensive to play than most of the other munis in the area, and I can't see why.
[/quote]

Gives new meaning to "I'm in jail now" after a bad shot.

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1395335453' post='8911707']
[/quote]

You'll be disappointed in Lawsonia if you go expecting it to live up to its ranking. Great, tough course with some of the most elevated greens I've ever seen, but lots of condition issues including one green that is essentially unplayable. Still worth playing and 36 holes there with the Woodlands course for under $200 is a great way to spend a day golfing.

Definitely go to Verona. For under $90, U Ridge is one of the best deals you'll find anywhere. Amazing course.
[/quote]

I haven't played all of the top tracks in Wisconsin (I've played all of the Geneva National/Grand Geneva courses), but U Ridge is my favorite of the ones that I've played. If I'm ever in the Madison area during golf season I make a stop at U Ridge.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

[b] Texas[/b]
[list]
[*]3. Butterfield Trail, El Paso (m)
[/list]
Don't get me wrong its a nice course but number 3 in Texas?

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

In Arizona (my home):
If they switched up Grayhawk Raptor with TPC Stadium the list would be spot on IMO.

In California/ San Diego (vacation home):
I think Torrey South should be a couple spots further up on the list, the place is just absolutely stunning but then again I haven't played most of those on the list.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[quote name='zer0' timestamp='1395335453' post='8911707']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hawk's Landing, which is literally next door to U Ridge, and The Legend at Bergamont (Oregon....10 minutes from Verona) are two nice options close to U Ridge not included on the list. Hawk's and Bergamont can both be played for less than $100.

Trappers Turn (designed by Andy North) in the Dells is a great course that didn't make the list.