2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

LIVE UPDATES: The $5000 TaylorMade SLDR Guarantee Event! Before/After Results Added!

[quote name='MaydayGSXR' timestamp='1396829131' post='9034603']
[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1396828490' post='9034499']
This was a "challenge" by TM so I have no patience with people saying, "let these guys enjoy their day in the sun."

I was picked for this trip (because I'm a SLDR doubter) but couldn't go because I have a demanding job and I'm a single father of a 10 year old. I'd probably be singing another tune if I too was bought off by TM. I'm actually glad I didn't go because I can afford to buy my own gear and I know every club in my bag is what I want rather than what I was given for free.

BTW - I play a TM R1 driver with a "stock" shaft. So I must be a low life.
[/quote]

No need to come off so offended.. this is still the internet at the end of the day, btw.

So you got picked but couldn't go, and now you're upset when you hear people saying that those attending should take the time to fully enjoy the trip? That's kind of a spiteful attitude, in my opinion. This was a "challenge" for those 20 people, not for you and I. [b]We don't have a role in this play[/b]; as the audience, we get to just sit back and wait for the show (the write ups). But yeah, let me know if you need a hand getting down from your horse. /jokes
[/quote]

Sure we do, we get to ask questions...Otherwise it's just a commercial for TM and the SLDR. Does that make sense or am I wrong?

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bidenn' timestamp='1396793778' post='9031343']
[quote name='smp220' timestamp='1396755079' post='9029929']
My Recap of Dallas:

So I had a whole 2.5 hr flight to decompress and replay the weekend in my head while watching The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. I could write for awhile if I go through the event sequentually, so I'll stick to the important details: My gamer, My SLDR and the takeaway.

Gamer: I was fit at Novogolf in Tappan, NY about 10 months ago on a Trackman by an awesome fitter/builder, William Cho. I fit into a Ping G25 with a Diamana B-series 50-x. I did not keep good track of my numbers as I really wanted to focus on the feeling of shaft and club and what my shots looked like. I was launching about 13* w/ around 2300 rpm spin with about a 103 SS with an average total around 270. High launching softly falling right drives ensued and I was extremly happy with my set-up.

SLDR: So if you didn't hear, it was windy in Dallas. About 30 mph steady directly in our grills. Not ideal, but very beneficial to see the exagerated ballflights. I was not happy with how I was swinging, but dug out enough solid hits for a good comparison.

My Gamer numbers: 13* Launch 2500 rpm spin 272 Total

After trying Aldila Blue and a Matrix shaft, I settled on an Oban Kiyoshi Gold 65g 5 flex. I was handed a 9.5 head that was increased to 10. It actually appears that I may have LOFTED DOWN!!! (More to come about this). With virtually identical Average SS and Ball Speeds, my launch got up to 14 and spin down to 1800. Saw an average distance gain of 11 yards. Taylormade delivered on their guarantee and I even had a big boy poke over 300 in the launch monitor (meaning there is actual proof). Smiles on my face, cash in my pocket (Goodbye amateur status, for now) and a little wind/sun burn to go with the new wand.

Takeaway: This was a Taylormade marketing event and was awesome. The crew was top notch all around. Tom Kroll from Taylormade has one of the greatest jobs on the planet and is not shy about passing that vibe on to whoever is around him. I got caught up in the whirlwind of it and was not as particular about my fitting as I should have been. In my defense, I was last to go, felt rushed and had trouble making consistent contact. I was promised more distance from Taylormade and they delivered. On course, however I struggled with slight pulls and pull cuts. I was staring at the issue and it took me a day and a half to realize what it was. Increasing loft = closing the face. I don't like closed faces. Somehow by attributing the majority of my misses to just bad swings I lost sight of how I was struggling to get used to the look. The shape, colors, and face depth are all to my liking, but something (closed head) was off and my poor play distracted me from seeing it. I will try some more testing to see if I will get used to it, but I have a feeling a 10.5 or 12 head is in the future for me. Bottomline, pay attention to all aspects of your clubfittings, be as particular as you can and Taylrmade is a first rate operation with real golfers running the show. It was an incredibly memorable weekend and I am especially thankful towards Golfwrx, and their representative Ben Jackson.

My review of Cowboys Golf Club, written by a NY Giants Fan will come soon.
[/quote]

Awesome write up!! How do you like the kiyoshi gold so far? I've been thinking about giving this shaft a go. From one giants fan to another I can't wait to read about your review of cowboys golf club. Also, did you see they booed jerry jones last night during the Florida uconn game. I loves it!
[/quote]

I like the gold so far. Smooth feeling that builds into a nice kick toward the bottom of my swing. Consistent and my dispersion when I hit it good was fairly tight. I am going to try some other heads (Higer lofts cranked down a bit) to get rid of the shut face on the 9.5.

[quote name='Doc420' timestamp='1396828848' post='9034543']
I'm not sure about everyone else, but not once were we referred to as being skeptics of this driver by anybody associated with Taylormade. We were only introduced as a group of golf bloggers/ contributors to GolfWRX. I believe that everybody at Reynolds treated us just like every previous trip, with respect and hospitality.

Just wait until I do my review, I was chosen as a hater and will give an honest review good or bad. It really is up to you to make your own decision. Those gains for me were legit. I can't tell you for sure if this will stay in the bag, that will take a few weeks of course time to figure out if the misses are something that I can live with.
[/quote]

Pure honesty. That's all anyone can ask for. Thanks

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

Let me start off by saying thanks a ton to TaylorMade and GolfWRX. This experience was unreal and is something I surely will not forget anytime soon. Everyone who was involved in putting on the event was first class to say the least. They went out of their way to make sure that this trip was amazing. One of the best parts of the trip was just hanging with all of the guys and getting to talk to our TM guys, Tom Kroll and Ryan (who was our TPML fitter in Dallas). Both guys are awesome and truly love what they do. One of the things that surprised me the most was that everyone I met with TaylorMade absolutely loves golf. When you get to hang out with these guys you realize that they do not just work and run a golf company, they are golfers. They all think like golfers and they want to produce and make products that will make the game more enjoyable to everyone who plays it.

I will now talk about what everyone wants – the fitting. I was previously fit out at Cool Clubs in Scottsdale about 2 years ago. I was fit into a Callaway RAZR Fit 8.5* driver with an Accra Tour Z M5-85 gram shaft @ 44.75”. I have played this driver for about 1.5 years and I absolutely love it. Keep in mind that during this fitting we were hitting directly into the Dallas wind and it was blowing 15-25 MPH. It was also probably around 60-65 degrees outside for what its worth. Also, I was hitting balls on and off for about 3.5 hours before I started my fitting so I was a little worn out.

My numbers from the Callaway driver from Friday were as follows. These were 7-10 shot averages:

Swing Speed: 120.4 MPH
Ball Speed: 174.5 MPH
Smash Factor: 1.45
Launch Angle: 7.8*
Total Spin: 2,716 RPM
Carry Distance: 289 yards
Total Distance: 315 yards
Offline: -13 yards
AoA: -3.4
Descent Angle: 34

Then Ryan handed me a SLDR 460 9.5* with the new Aldila Tour Green 75TX. This shaft was still spinning the ball too much. I liked the feel of it but it just was not cutting it. Next up was the Black Tie 8X version. This shaft did not feel as good as the Aldila and it still was spinning it too much. Next, I tried the SLDR 9* 430 head turn up a 2 clicks and 2 clicks towards the draw setting with the Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2 X shaft. This seemed to be the ideal set up until I asked if I could hit this shaft in the 9.5* SLDR 460. Boom. This was the one was I was keeping. The first ball I hit with this thing just launched up into the Texas wind and kept going and going. It was obvious simply from watching the ball flight that it was spinning noticeably less.

My final driver was the SLDR 460 9.5* turned up 2 clicks, the weight was moved two clicks towards the draw setting shafted with a Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2 X shaft @ 45”. My average numbers were as follows:

Swing Speed: 119.8 MPH
Ball Speed: 172.9 MPH
Launch Angle: 9.8*
Total Spin: 2,282 RPM
Carry Distance: 294 yards
Total Distance: 323 yards
Offline: -14 yards
Descent Angle: 33

As you can see, my ball speed went slightly down (most likely due to being tired), my launch increased by 2* and my spin decreased by 434 RPM’s leading to an average increase of distance of 8 yards. I did “loft up” one degree but more importantly I launched-up with less spin.

As far as hitting this driver on the course, my misses went significantly straighter. My typical miss is a big wipe that has a huge cut on it. On average I would say that this miss with the RAZR Fit goes about 260-270 ish but with the SLDR it was going about the same distance but much, much straighter. At the Cowboy Club, I hit a ball that was directly off of the toe and it still went about 310 dead straight. I was amazed. After I hit this ball, I looked to Tom and said, “This driver is f****** insane. It is going straight in my bag.” I have never hit a drive off the toe that went so straight like that with my RAZR Fit.

Also, the SLDR mini is a cannon! As I said before, you know that feeling you get when your buddies double bounce you on a trampoline? That is the feeling I got when I hit the mini. Its an awesome little club.

As for the -47 yards offline that has been discussed earlier in the thread, from my memory, I am almost positive that ESP (Eric) picked a different target without adjusting the machine. This was due to him hitting out of depressions that were left on the ground from previous people being fit in the same place. But, I am sure that he will chime in soon.

This was an awesome experience and I cannot express how grateful I am to have had this opportunity to represent GolfWRX. The technology behind the SLDR driver is legit and it does launch higher with less spin. Feel free to PM with any questions. I will update this thread once I get some time to play my home track and compare.

[quote name='TaylorMadeLuv' timestamp='1396829381' post='9034635']
[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396764877' post='9030395']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1396763702' post='9030365']
I know a few guys prior to the trip were concerned with the upright lie angle. Was this ever addressed?
[/quote]

SS, I did ask Tim Huet about this and to be honest I cannot really remember his answer! Ha! Tim is THE MAN at the Kingdom and we had just been called into his office and I guess my mind was wondering a bit. He did mention that a fitter will go to a slightly softer tip shaft or less flex if he can in order to get the toe to droop more at impact.

Sorry that I could not help you out with a better answer. I did ask BB if there was a sleeve that would provide the lowest lie angle and he told me that the 2 Degree tour version would be the one, but that would only help by about 1/2 degree.
[/quote]

Anyone that is worried about lie angle on the driver, just go to the SLDR 430 head. They are made at 55* lie angle...
[/quote]

great info

[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1396829626' post='9034661']
Sure we do, we get to ask questions...Otherwise it's just a commercial for TM and the SLDR. Does that make sense or am I wrong?
[/quote]

No that is 100% accurate, I just think it's important to wait for full write ups before we spark our torches.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='TaylorMadeLuv' timestamp='1396830289' post='9034751']
[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1396821522' post='9033561']
What is a stock shaft?
[/quote]

They can be found in the amazon...I once saw a picture of one on this site somewhere...
[/quote]

Or ebay

Cobra F9 3 wood
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

[quote name='amackey10' timestamp='1396829972' post='9034703']
Let me start off by saying thanks a ton to TaylorMade and GolfWRX. This experience was unreal and is something I surely will not forget anytime soon. Everyone who was involved in putting on the event was first class to say the least. They went out of their way to make sure that this trip was amazing. One of the best parts of the trip was just hanging with all of the guys and getting to talk to our TM guys, Tom Kroll and Ryan (who was our TPML fitter in Dallas). Both guys are awesome and truly love what they do. One of the things that surprised me the most was that everyone I met with TaylorMade absolutely loves golf. When you get to hang out with these guys you realize that they do not just work and run a golf company, they are golfers. They all think like golfers and they want to produce and make products that will make the game more enjoyable to everyone who plays it.

I will now talk about what everyone wants – the fitting. I was previously fit out at Cool Clubs in Scottsdale about 2 years ago. I was fit into a Callaway RAZR Fit 8.5* driver with an Accra Tour Z M5-85 gram shaft @ 44.75”. I have played this driver for about 1.5 years and I absolutely love it. Keep in mind that during this fitting we were hitting directly into the Dallas wind and it was blowing 15-25 MPH. It was also probably around 60-65 degrees outside for what its worth. Also, I was hitting balls on and off for about 3.5 hours before I started my fitting so I was a little worn out.

My numbers from the Callaway driver from Friday were as follows. These were 7-10 shot averages:

Then Ryan handed me a SLDR 460 9.5* with the new Aldila Tour Green 75TX. This shaft was still spinning the ball too much. I liked the feel of it but it just was not cutting it. Next up was the Black Tie 8X version. This shaft did not feel as good as the Aldila and it still was spinning it too much. Next, I tried the SLDR 9* 430 head turn up a 2 clicks and 2 clicks towards the draw setting with the Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2 X shaft. This seemed to be the ideal set up until I asked if I could hit this shaft in the 9.5* SLDR 460. Boom. This was the one was I was keeping. The first ball I hit with this thing just launched up into the Texas wind and kept going and going. It was obvious simply from watching the ball flight that it was spinning noticeably less.

My final driver was the SLDR 460 9.5* turned up 2 clicks, the weight was moved two clicks towards the draw setting shafted with a Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2 X shaft @ 45”. My average numbers were as follows:

As you can see, my ball speed went slightly down (most likely due to being tired), my launch increased by 2* and my spin decreased by 434 RPM’s leading to an average increase of distance of 8 yards. I did “loft up” one degree but more importantly I launched-up with less spin.

As far as hitting this driver on the course, my misses went significantly straighter. My typical miss is a big wipe that has a huge cut on it. On average I would say that this miss with the RAZR Fit goes about 260-270 ish but with the SLDR it was going about the same distance but much, much straighter. At the Cowboy Club, I hit a ball that was directly off of the toe and it still went about 310 dead straight. I was amazed. After I hit this ball, I looked to Tom and said, “This driver is f****** insane. It is going straight in my bag.” I have never hit a drive off the toe that went so straight like that with my RAZR Fit.

Also, the SLDR mini is a cannon! As I said before, you know that feeling you get when your buddies double bounce you on a trampoline? That is the feeling I got when I hit the mini. Its an awesome little club.

As for the -47 yards offline that has been discussed earlier in the thread, from my memory, I am almost positive that ESP (Eric) picked a different target without adjusting the machine. This was due to him hitting out of depressions that were left on the ground from previous people being fit in the same place. But, I am sure that he will chime in soon.

This was an awesome experience and I cannot express how grateful I am to have had this opportunity to represent GolfWRX. The technology behind the SLDR driver is legit and it does launch higher with less spin. Feel free to PM with any questions. I will update this thread once I get some time to play my home track and compare.
[/quote]

Hey Mackey when you took the 9.5 two clicks higher was there a noticeable closing of the face angle? That's why with my very short stint with a SLDR I went with a 12* so I could play it at 11 or 11.5 and still have it look good to my eye.

Cobra F9 3 wood
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

To answer a previous question: they did move the sliding weight in mine all the way to the toe

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1396830747' post='9034807']

[/quote]

Hey Mackey when you took the 9.5 two clicks higher was there a noticeable closing of the face angle? That's why with my very short stint with a SLDR I went with a 12* so I could play it at 11 or 11.5 and still have it look good to my eye.
[/quote]

I did not notice a difference at all. The face looks neutral right now where as in the standard position it looked a little open.

[/quote]

[/quote]

For me, I was like you....9.5 clicked to a higher loft = the look of past non TP heads to me which = No chance I will hit it straight and watch it ballon.
430 head is much better if you ask me if put into a higher setting. This is what I personally see coming from lower lofted heads that are usually set on a open setting.

This was a "challenge" by TM so I have no patience with people saying, "let these guys enjoy their day in the sun."

I was picked for this trip (because I'm a SLDR doubter) but couldn't go because I have a demanding job and I'm a single father of a 10 year old. I'd probably be singing another tune if I too was bought off by TM. I'm actually glad I didn't go because I can afford to buy my own gear and I know every club in my bag is what I want rather than what I was given for free.

[/quote]

No need to come off so offended.. this is still the internet at the end of the day, btw.

So you got picked but couldn't go, and now you're upset when you hear people saying that those attending should take the time to fully enjoy the trip? That's kind of a spiteful attitude, in my opinion. This was a "challenge" for those 20 people, not for you and I. We don't have a role in this play; as the audience, we get to just sit back and wait for the show (the write ups). But yeah, let me know if you need a hand getting down from your horse. /jokes
[/quote]

I'm not jealous at all. I'm actually glad I didn't go because I'm sure I'd be a TM shill right now if I had. It's impossible to maintain any objectivity when you have money waved under your nostrils.

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396831254' post='9034869']

[/quote]

[/quote]

For me, I was like you....9.5 clicked to a higher loft = the look of past non TP heads to me which = No chance I will hit it straight and watch it ballon.
430 head is much better if you ask me if put into a higher setting. This is what I personally see coming from lower lofted heads that are usually set on a open setting.
[/quote]

Thanks Bob. I have not even thought about trying the 430 as all I have read is that its even more low spin and less forgiving than the 460. I've been playing since 1983 and played persimmon and small headed drivers for a long time and to this day prefer them. Maybe I should take one out for a test drive just to see

Cobra F9 3 wood
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1396831704' post='9034931']

[/quote]

So you got picked but couldn't go, and now you're upset when you hear people saying that those attending should take the time to fully enjoy the trip? That's kind of a spiteful attitude, in my opinion. This was a "challenge" for those 20 people, not for you and I. We don't have a role in this play; as the audience, we get to just sit back and wait for the show (the write ups). But yeah, let me know if you need a hand getting down from your horse. /jokes
[/quote]

I'm not jealous at all. I'm actually glad I didn't go because I'm sure I'd be a TM shill right now if I had. It's impossible to maintain any objectivity when you have money waved under your nostrils.
[/quote]

You can speak your own opinion, but that is far from the truth....for me and the other guys I went with.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Custom Lajosi DD201

WITB

[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1396833581' post='9035187']
[/quote]

So
Much
Jealousy

We get it, man. You entered the 'challenge', but couldn't go because of work...single parent...insert whatever reason here _______. Not because you were diametrically opposed to the notion of possibly becoming a 'shill' for a golf company. There's really no need to bleed all over this thread because you couldn't go.

Morever, nobody cares if you can or can't afford your own handpicked clubs. They really don't. If you can afford something, great. If you can't afford something, great.

At the end of the day you wanted to go, but just couldn't. Otherwise, you would have taken the moral high road prior to entering, and not entered in the first place.
[/quote]

I didn't enter. I was picked by a moderator out the blue because I was a SLDR skeptic.

It's pretty obvious that golfwrx is a place to drink kool-aid or be ostracized.

Have a good one...

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1396831704' post='9034931'][quote name='MaydayGSXR' timestamp='1396829131' post='9034603']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm not jealous at all. I'm actually glad I didn't go because I'm sure I'd be a TM shill right now if I had. It's impossible to maintain any objectivity when you have money waved under your nostrils.[/quote]

I'm going to try and say this as nicely as I can, yet also be 100% honest. You, sir, are a sore loser. I truly feel bad for you that you feel this way because a handful of us got to experience something that most will not. I, too, have a demanding job, as well as 3 small children. I feel extremely lucky that I was able to pull off getting work, etc. covered to the extent that allowed me to take advantage of this. I am working on my review/recap of the weekend right now, but I will say this... I am the biggest skeptic when it comes to "revolutionary" designs in golf clubs, especially drivers, and ESPECIALLY from TMAG. I was/am very happy with my Anser and decided before I left Houston that I didn't care if I walked away with nothing except the weekend trip, but I was going to try and give BOTH clubs an honest go of it. As I believe I mentioned in my entry post, I also am not naive, stubborn, or stupid enough to argue with results. If I went up there and the SLDR beat my Anser, in the bag it would go. If not, I would still enjoy myself and soak it all in. Well, I definitely soaked it all in, including half of the beer in Plano, and I enjoyed the hell out of the trip. I won't put any specifics in this post as my recap is coming shortly (I had to work today...). I just wanted to speak my mind to Debbie Downer. WaaWaaWaaaaa

To address an earlier post, we were referred to as "skeptics" and "naysayers" on multiple occasions over the weekend. Not in a negative way, but just calling a spade a spade. I fully admitted from the get go that I was happy with my current clubs and had literally no interest in changing to any TM product except maybe an ATV lob wedge, but certainly not my driver. At the same time, I was going to give honest feedback, ask questions, and not try and let my view of TMAG get in the way of that.

SLDR 460 9.5* Oban Kyoshi White 65-05
SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x
SLDR TP 19* Motore Speeder 9.8HB
MR-23 CB US Spec 4-PW TC x1 soft stepped
Vokey SM 4 52*, TVD-K 56 & 60
Circa '62 No. 2 raw, ProV1x

Great marketing concept by TM on the challenge with a LIVE UPDATE thread. The actual live updates were interesting and a good read. I'm anxiously awaiting for the "post production" work with better quality screen shots of the fittings. I'm sure many will now have a baseline on what to look for numbers wise if they decide to try an SLDR. I'm sure many will be tempted to purchase an SLDR with the guarantee promotion running. I still haven't hit an SLDR but who knows......

Maybe the Live Update thread should have been limited to the participants with another thread for everyone else to voice their views of the challenge.

PXG Gen4 0811 X 9
PXG Gen4 0341 X 5

Ping G410 19 Hybrid

PXG Gen4 4 Hybrid

Titleist T400 5-49W
Titleist Vokey SM7 56
Ping TR Nome

[quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1396833597' post='9035191']
[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1396832586' post='9035031']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You can speak your own opinion, but that is far from the truth....for me and the other guys I went with.[/quote]

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed and is upset he couldn't go. No reason to take it out here. You had a shot and couldn't go. That sucks. But don't take it out on the people who got to go.
[/quote]

I'm far from upset I didn't go. If it was important enough for me to go, I would have. I'm upset that golfwrx is a place to drink kool-aid despite claims of objectivity.

[quote name='happygolfer' timestamp='1396835686' post='9035419']
Great marketing concept by TM on the challenge with a LIVE UPDATE thread. The actual live updates were interesting and a good read. I'm anxiously awaiting for the "post production" work with better quality screen shots of the fittings. I'm sure many will now have a baseline on what to look for numbers wise if they decide to try an SLDR. I'm sure many will be tempted to purchase an SLDR with the guarantee promotion running. I still haven't hit an SLDR but who knows......

[b]Maybe the Live Update thread should have been limited to the participants with another thread for everyone else to voice their views of the challenge.[/b]
[/quote]

I suggested that on April 4th in the Website feedback forum and got no replies, none from members and none from WRX. They could do it the exact same way as when Greg posts pictures from the PGA tour stops. I'm not sure what the issue would be unless the OEM has input and wants all the page views going into the trip thread.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

I think we should all step back and take a breather.

Most importantly before we start pointing the finger to the participants and brand them let's wait for their detailed reviews. They deserve that.

As nonparticipants we should take this info and reviews as a method of relaying information regarding the product And not as personal opinions or marketing.

Because guys if we don't change our ways. Let me tell you at some point all parties involved, GWRX, OEM's and even members will say screw these trips. It's to much of a headache.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

Finally, got back home today. I stayed in Dallas an extra day to visit my sister. I also wanted to wait a little while to let the awe factor wear off so that I can write a more objective review.

First, TaylorMade's hospitality was unbelievable. Tom Kroll was a blast to hang out with and couldn't have been more friendly and easy to talk to. Our group didn't hold any punches on questions to Tom regarding TaylorMade's design philosophy and marketing philosophy. Tom didn't shy away from answering any of our questions on Thursday night and had a bunch of statistics and research to back up his claims, at least on paper. I still wasn't expecting the SLDR to live up to the hype on the range and more importantly on the course. Ryan Tolentino (sp?) was our fitter from the TaylorMade Performance Lab at Gleneagles and was equally great and a lot of fun to hang out with. I knew it would be a great trip and it far exceeded my expectations, mainly because of how great all the guys were, including Ben Jackson from WRX and the other WRX members. We all hit it off and had a blast talking golf, playing golf and having a little fun after.

All that being said, I was most anxious to find out if the hype was for real. First, a little background regarding my game and club evolution. Several years ago I was professionally fit for a Titleist 983K and hit it really well. I don't remember exact specs, but hit it well and scored well with it. Within a few months the R7 came out and I was given one with the same shaft (Aldila NV) as was in my 983K. I instantly gained 20 yards because of reduced spin with the R7. The R7 was my first real go around with TaylorMade and I played it for several years and to this day that is the driver that I hit the longest and the driver I used when I played my best overall golf. After the R7 I bought in to the hype and upgraded to the original R9 a couple of years later. I lost distance with the R9. At the time I was starting my professional career as an attorney and my time for golf decreased, and I chalked up my loss in distance to not practicing or playing as much. I wasn't happy with the R9 at all, mainly because my spin rate was way too high. From the R9 I tried several other drivers without being fit with no success. I finally was professionally fit and tried many drivers including the R11, 910 D3 and Callaway (don't recall the model). The "best" at the time was the 910 D3 with the Aldila RIP alpha. The best spin numbers were around 3,600 or higher with all head shaft combinations. I also tinkered with different shafts with the 910 D3 including an Oban Devotion and Speeder TS, with no success. After buying the 910 D3 I had a professional fitting for a RazorFit Extreme after reading very good reviews about how low spin it was. I tried several of their shafts, including premium shafts, and was able to get my spin numbers down to around 3,200. The change wasn't enough to justify buying a new driver, so I didn't purchase the the RazorFit. The issue with my spin is a steep angle of attack and overall swing flaw. I am very much a believer in the indian vs the arrow and I finally accepted that I wouldn't reduce spin, get closer to optimal conditions and hit the ball any farther without working on my swing. Finally, I picked up an R9 SuperDeep and was fit for a shaft with the SuperDeep. Numbers weren't great but on the course I felt like I was getting the best results that I had had in a few years. There were several occasions when I went back to the R7 and played it as well as any new driver that I played or tested.

Coming in to this contest I was a firm believer that technology had not advanced as much as the OEM's wanted us to believe after COR was maxed out on my heads, which is the reason I still hit my R7 as well as any club. I thought I might increase my numbers and gain distance based on an updated fitting with professionals who I thought would be better than what I could get where I live. At the contest I was actually hitting my current driver well for me and feeling good about the ball flight and distance I was getting. Based on the way I was hitting my current driver, I didn't have high hopes for winning much cash. Enter the SLDR. The first swing with a 9.5 head and Aldila Tour Stiff shaft and my spin rate was 2,400 a full 1,000 RPMs below my SuperDeep, which I thought I was hitting well. Distance increase was around 20 yards. I tried several head shaft combinations with the 460 and 430 and all were lower spin than my SuperDeep. I ended up with the 460 9.5* head and Aldila Tour shaft. What impressed me the most was I was getting the lower spin with a much more forgiving head than my current driver so my misses were much, much better. The SLDR driver head is unbelievable and was frankly shocked at the dramatic increase in spin rate. At the end of the day I improved my distance the most in the group by gaining an average of 22 total yards and earned $550 of cash! I also hit it great on the front 9 after the fitting. I was a little tired on the back 9 from a full day of fitting and didn't play very well overall, but still had more distance than I typically achieved with my SuperDeep. I am sold on the SLDR. The mini is pretty sweet too! It may be a little bit of a novelty, but since I hit is so well off the fairway and hit so few 3Ws from the fairway I can see replacing my 3W with a 14* mini.

As for the issue with getting caught up in the hype and dazzle from an unbelievably awesome weekend and clouding my objectivity with reviewing the SLDR, it is clear in my mind and on the course that the SLDR is an awesome club. It does exactly what it claims to do, which is maximize distance through technology. It is that simple. Tom Kroll did an excellent job of explaining the technology and why the science just makes sense. I am no physicist or engineer and he could have been blowing smoke, but the club did exactly what he said it would do for me. I can't deny that TaylorMade rolled out the red carpet and treated us like royalty and it was an unbelievable experience. I had as much fun meeting and hanging out with the WRX members as I did testing clubs and playing. We had a great group of guys in Dallas. I know there are some naysayers and will think my review is based on winning cash, getting free clubs and being wined and dined, and that is fine with me. There will always be naysayers. I will also say that I have been fortunate with my career and earn a decent living and have the ability to go out for nice meals, take nice vacations and purchase any new golf equipment that I choose. I am not bragging, but my point is I have the means to go out and buy any new driver I want, and much like most of the people on this site I am motivated (obsessed) with trying to play better golf and the promise of a new driver, a free trip and a few nice meals isn't enough to convince me to play a driver that doesn't deliver the best results for me.

I don't typically post reviews of clubs and typically take other's reviews with a grain of salt so take from this review what you want, but after seeing the data and on course performance I am a firm believer in the SLDR technology and will definitely have it in play.

TSr4 Ventus Blue Velocore TR 6x
TSr3 15* Ventus Blue Velocore TR 7x
SLDR 2 Hybrid Hzrdus Matrix Blacktie S
T100s 4-P PX 6.5
SM9 50F, 55S PX 6.5 and 60M S400
Newport

[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1396832458' post='9035019']
[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396831254' post='9034869']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks Bob. I have not even thought about trying the 430 as all I have read is that its even more low spin and less forgiving than the 460. I've been playing since 1983 and played persimmon and small headed drivers for a long time and to this day prefer them. Maybe I should take one out for a test drive just to see
[/quote]

I am putting together a list of everyones fittings and so far only a few 430 heads, but it sounds like its the ticket for you. It is a touch small as I am use to the past few 460 offerings, but after two rounds it did not bother me to much nor did it when it was put in front of me on Friday...heck, it sits better so I had to have a go with it. Take a look at one and see if it fits your eye or heck, come on up to Seattle and hit mine!

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1396835943' post='9035439'][quote name='Rob G.' timestamp='1396833597' post='9035191']
[quote name='bubbagump' timestamp='1396832586' post='9035031']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You can speak your own opinion, but that is far from the truth....for me and the other guys I went with.[/quote]

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed and is upset he couldn't go. No reason to take it out here. You had a shot and couldn't go. That sucks. But don't take it out on the people who got to go.
[/quote]

I'm far from upset I didn't go. If it was important enough for me to go, I would have. I'm upset that golfwrx is a place to drink kool-aid despite claims of objectivity.[/quote]
If you knew anything about me and my previous beef with Taylormade you would not be saying anything like you are right now. I was darn near anti Taylormade before this trip and asked all the questions I expected the TM guys to bs their way through. Ended up being that Tom didn't tell
me what "we want to hear" but rather he told me THE TRUTH as hard as it may be to believe. Zak K even asked me after the fitting and dinner if I was drinking the TM kookaid yet and I can honestly say that I AM NOT but this experience with an awesome honest and straight forward guy like Tom Fisher has rerouted my opinion of TM and their team. I came to realize that my major gripe with TMAG is some of their marketing claims but more importantly the durability of their drivers. I can see through the marketing schemes and multi releases but I cannot deny the fact that SLDR is what they say it is.

I asked about the slower ball speeds among tour players: turns out the launch and spin improvement supersedes the ball speed aspect of it and still shows improvement.

I asked about why they haven't used carbon: they have an acoustic scientist that won't allow it because they try to achieve the same sound with every TM driver and carbon will not produce the same sound.

I asked why the SLDR is marketed as new tech: Tom explained how TM has the means and the marketing power to make the SLDR a huge deal where other manufacturers didn't. Further explanation made more and more sense.

I asked why on a lot of subjects and got QUALITY answers each and every time. If they didn't know they didn't make up any bs answers. TMAG is onto something huge with growing the game to the next generation

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx