Recap: LIVE Q&A with Adams Golf from Wed April 23, 2014

HipCheck

[quote name='AdamsGolf' timestamp='1398274998' post='9152633']
We know you guys love Tour Spec stuff :wave: and that's part of the reason we seldom don't launch our successful tour products to retail. We want to be the hybrid of choice for the best players in the world on tour and everyday golfers. That's why we launch these products.

For your own hybrid needs, I would suggest the new Pro hybrid and the new Pro DHy. The Pro hybrid was designed to be the #1 hybrid on tour that works for everyone. The Pro Dhy was made for the gap between your hybrid and irons, which is a new need because hybrids have gotten longer (ours) and other hybrids have gotten bigger (everyone else). The reason I didn't suggest the Pro Mini is because that is a very small, very specific hybrid that if it was for you, you'd already be all over it.
[/quote]

Thank you very much for your thoughts, driving irons have been pretty intriguing to my lately but I think I may need to go hit one to see if it's right for me. Otherwise I will likely be looking into a 4 hybrid to fit between the 3 hybrid and 5 iron.

Also liking the "ours" and "everyone else's" you sneaked in there, haha, a true testament to your companies performance. Thanks again, off to go research! :)

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='hankmoody' timestamp='1398275328' post='9152685']
Guys-thanks for doing this. I'm returning to the game and you kind of blossomed in the period I was gone. I've just learned a lot in reading the responses, and during this I just went to the website and checked your products. There is a demo day at my club coming up and I am now looking forward to that.

Lot of attention here on the hybrids. Can you comment a bit on the fairways, and the categories? (I'm looking to get and stay in the mid 80s, and would love a club that does >200 with confidence).

Thanks guys!
[/quote]
Definitely go to the demo day, you will have a lot of fun and get to hit some great clubs. In addition to our awesome hybrids we also make some great fairway woods. For a mid 80s shooter looking for confidence I think the Tight Lies will be a perfect club for you. It is easy to hit, gets up in the air, and goes far! What could be better than that?-Matt Neeley @mattneeley

[quote name='rtraudt' timestamp='1398275266' post='9152677']
[quote name='AdamsGolf' timestamp='1398274220' post='9152501']
[quote name='rtraudt' timestamp='1398273506' post='9152361']
Another quick question. What is the selection process like for determining stock shafts for a given club? For example, how did you decide on each of the new ATX Tour shafts for each of the new Pro hybrids?
[/quote]

<Justin Honea> We start looking at shaft options about 8 months prior to launch. We always want the shaft to compliment the head design which is why we meet with shaft supplier on a monthly basis to discuss our product plan, technology and performance expectations. We always look at “Real Deal” shafts first and the only reason we would not do a real deal shaft would be cost or bend profile. We think there is a lot of equity in having a real deal shaft in our product and we have received a lot of great feedback by offering real deal shafts in most, if not all of our programs. The decision to use the Aldila ATX series was a pretty simple one because it matched up perfectly with our hybrid story. Tour Green = PRO 9031 (lowest launching, lowest spinning), Tour Blue = PRO DHy (mid launching, mid/low spinning), Tour Red = PRO (mid/high launching, mid spin). The shaft and heads were a perfect match.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I love the feel and performance of the Tour Blue in my Tight Lies Tour and can't wait to demo the new lineup of Pro hybrids (especially the DHy) and their ATX shafts.

Another question in regards to stock shafts (but only if you are allowed to release this or even have confirmation yet): what shaft will be offered in the soon to be released XTD Tour irons that Els games, and will there also be an option for the RIP Tour graphite iron shafts like the XTD Forged provide?
[/quote]

<Justin Honea> Your welcome and thanks for the great feedback. We love hearing all the positive feedback. Without giving it away the XTD Tour iron will have the same shaft as what Ernie is gaming (opps, just gave it away) and the graphite option will be the Program Q 95 (blue color) aftermarket shaft.

[quote name='ORUTRAVIS' timestamp='1398274700' post='9152585']
How much golf do you guys get to play and who is the best of the guys in your office?
[/quote]
The amount of golf played at Adams seems to be directly connected to the amount of children you have. The group of single 20 year old guys we have in the office averaged over 130 rounds last year and just got back from 7 rounds in Bandon in the last 4 days. Our leader was 177 rounds last year. The 30 & 40 year old married guys still manage to get there golf in, but it is much more limited. I played 50 rounds last year, but am getting married in two weeks so I am on the decline.

In the end we work in the golf business because we love playing golf and we make time for it. One of the benefits of being in Texas versus Carlsbad is we don't have to fight the other companies for tee times, so getting out isn't a problem.

The best player in the office is up for heavy debate as we haven't had our Company Championship yet this year. Ask again towards the end of the year, but its going to be a battle.
-Fox-

[quote name='marshallbarnes' timestamp='1397823550' post='9117799']
Thanks for taking the time, it means a lot to all of us on WRX. Now, will the irons that Ernie plays ever be released to the public?
[/quote]

[i]Hell yeah! Wouldn’t you launch them? They will ship sometime in late August. Once we saw the first set everyone in the office including myself needed a set. That plus the fact that Ernie was leading the PGA tour in proximity to the hole from 150-175 yards as soon as he put them in play, made it a no brainer. We just got the first samples today as Ernie’s were a one off prototype. They will start at $699 and come stock with iomic grips and KPS Tour shafts. [/i][i](Fox)[/i]

[quote name='opus_mh' timestamp='1398275382' post='9152695']
Your lineup is pretty great from top to bottom and if I had to play an all in 14 club deal I would look to you guys. My question is about your wedges. Do you plan to offer a more traditional wedge design to the retail market with your tour staffers influence? My main concern with previous generations was the weight. Some of the heads I play tested were very light, and that seems counter productive in the grand scheme of things.
[/quote]
We are currently working closely with Ernie Els on some new wedge designs, look forward to seeing these in the near future. Ernie has some very specific feelings on wedges and we are working to design a wedge that fits his game as well the rest of the market. Stay posted, these are going to be some great wedges!
-Matt Neeley @mattneeley

[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1398275411' post='9152703']
Are there plans to add any more high end graphite shafts to your line-up?
[/quote]

Every program we consider the best graphite shafts available. Being a smaller company, one way for us to differentiate us from others is to integrate highly visible and performing shafts from the leading shaft manufacturers. It costs more on our end, but we feel it is worth it!

[quote name='geauxWRX' timestamp='1397822758' post='9117747']
I recently picked up a super ls fw after breaking my original xtd (both bottom weights fell off) and noticed a swoosh or whistling sound from the top slot while swinging the new fw. Have you heard of others with this feedback?
[/quote]

You should check your tempo on your back swing! Just kidding !! Honestly this is the first time outside of our R&D group that I have heard this. This is great feedback and we have addressed this issue on all new designs. - JH

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1397825219' post='9117943']
There are a number of way to fill the gap between 3 wood and 3 iron these days, from 5 woods to 2 hybrids to driving irons. Do you find PGA Tour playing gravitating toward one particular choice?
[/quote]

Most of the time PGA Tour players gravitate towards hybrids because of launch and spin characteristics (on average hybrids launch higher and spin less than fairway woods). Truthfully it depends on the weather and the course whether tour players use regular hybrids or driving hybrids.- JH

[quote name='Jaobrien' timestamp='1397826868' post='9118067']
Why should I give up my trusty Tight Lies fairway for a new club?
[/quote]

The new Tightlies is much easier to hit because of a lower CG and our new cut thru velocity slot technology increases the forgiveness across the face (higher CT on off center shots) which means your shots fly farther and straighter on slight miss-hits.- JH

[quote name='bu11dog' timestamp='1397828362' post='9118213']
At what point during the design process do you begin considering what the stock shaft option(s) will be? Is that something that you go in with at the start or do you find shafts that compliment what you're trying to accomplish with the design of the head?

I'm also curious to know the process behind into determining whether you'll offer a "made for" shaft vs the "real deal" shaft. Is that simply a price point thing or is there more to it than that?

How willing are shaft companies to work with you on being a part of the stock shaft option?

Thanks for an opportunity to be a part of the discussion!
[/quote]

We start looking at shaft options about 8 months prior to launch. We always want the shaft to compliment the head design which is why we meet with shaft supplier on a monthly basis to discuss our product plan, technology and performance expectations. We always look at “Real Deal” shafts first and the only reason we would not do a real deal shaft would be cost or bend profile. We think there is a lot of equity in having a real deal shaft in our product and we have received a lot of great feedback by offering real deal shafts in most, if not all of our programs. There are only a couple of shaft companies that work only in the custom or aftermarket world but the majority of the shaft suppliers want to work with us. -JH

[quote name='AspiringScratch' timestamp='1397825641' post='9117967']
Thanks for taking the time to talk to us GolfWRX'ers about your brand. I will be playing xtd irons this season, and have been playing the original pro hybrid since released. To say I am an adams fan is an understatement.

Now for my question: is there any plans for adams to come out with an innovative custom fitting program?
[/quote]

[i]The XTD irons are sweet, make sure you let everyone one how good they are once you get them. [/i]

[i]Custom fitting is an important part to our business and we make sure that every products, including fixed hosel clubs can be adjusted for loft and lie angles. We also make sure all of our products come with an array of shaft options at no-upcharge. [/i]

[i]However we made the decision a couple years ago that it woudln’t pull engineers off of creating awesome products to focus on a unique custom fitting solution, from what we’ve seen isn’t utilized by everyone that has them. [/i]

[i]We definitely have ideas for custom fitting solutions and you will eventually see something, but our focus now is on creating great products that you can custom fit to your desired spec utilizing any number of great fitting systems Adams retailers have. (Fox)[/i]

[quote name='gmangolf' timestamp='1398275779' post='9152761']
The last Adams hybrid I used extensively was an Idea Pro Gold Boxer. I loved this club, but unfortunately I found it incredibly easy to hook like crazy. Anything available that might help minimize the big miss? Obviously a bad swing is a bad swing, but I found that one too easy to get away from me.
[/quote]
Our DHy and Pro Mini are designed with a bit more fade bias than some of our other hybrids (Pro Gold Boxer included), so you might want to give one of those a try. Those were designed with the tour player in mind who generally do not need any help turning the ball over.
-Matt Neeley @mattneeley

[quote name='rchera3' timestamp='1397827652' post='9118147']
How have the tour players adjusted to the new pro hybrid series? Have many of them switched to the new hybrids from their older trusty Adams hybrids and benefited from the new technology? Thanks for taking the time with us Adams Golf!
[/quote]

[i]That’s a big YES. The new Pro hybrid (not the series, just the Pro) was the #1 hybrid model at the PGA’s RBC Heritage, the Champions Tour Gwinnett Championship and the LPGA’s LOTTE Championship this last week. The Pro hybrid series was a perfect mix of hybrids for our tour reps to fit the players with and we are having more players switch to the new gear that we have had in a very long time. The idea to launch the three hybrids as a series came from one of our tour reps last year and we went with it. -Fox [/i]

[quote name='dkaar' timestamp='1397827832' post='9118165']
Do you folks collaborate with the Taylormade team on design, price points, etc. or is Adams totally separate from Taylormade in every aspect?
[/quote]

[i]The Adams Golf marketing, product management and R&D teams are here in North Dallas and are run independently from the TaylorMade group out in Carlsbad. At Adams golf our product plan is based on a strategy of meeting consumer needs in the market place and exceeding your expectations. Basically giving you guys the types of clubs and performance, which you can’t get anywhere else and giving it to you in ways you’ve never seen before with new and innovative technologies. To do this part of our process it to frequently analyze the market and make predictions on what the other companies are going to do, to determine what type of products we should create and when we should launch. One of the pieces which has helped since the partnership is some visibility into TaylorMade’s product plan to help us determine when the best time for us to launch products will be. This visibility is more information for the team here in North Dallas to use in our decision making process; which is always helpful. [/i]

[i]We check in with each other once in a while to make sure we aren’t coincidently making the same thing, but we are both driven by our corporate strategies, which dictate our product development. We help each other out where needed, but for the most part as stated above the product and marketing teams are separate. (Fox) [/i]

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1398275715' post='9152751']
Another one...

How much influence over design does sound get? Do you guys care a little or a lot?

(and if you need anyone in the IT department, message me!)
[/quote]

Sound is a very important to us at Adams! As we continue to break through in technology, sound is always a feature in the design that needs an extra look for the technology to be possible. The XTD cross cavity iron is a perfect example of this. When creating a high CT/COR iron, it is necessary to decrease the face thickness and incorporate a cut-thru slot design. Unfortunately, the sound at impact changes when you do this. To counter this effect, we used the cross cavity design to add a rubber “pressure piston” behind the center circular badge. This rubber piston is compressed against the back of the center of the face where the face deflects the most that we refer to as the oscillation apex. What the rubber plunger does is reduce the duration of the sound and improve the feel to create a hot but crisp sound at impact.

[quote name='fishstix94' timestamp='1397831396' post='9118537']
Thanks for the opportunity! Does adams have any plans in the future of releasing blades for those who prefer the traditional look and feel (possibly forged) of blades?
Fish
[/quote]

[i]If you like a blades you can’t get much more traditional sizing than the XTD forged irons, which are out right now and are a steal at $1,099 with two DHs, C-Taper shafts and iomic grips. [/i]

[i]If you are asking if we are going to make a muscle back iron, Justin H. and I are trying to sell making one to the rest of the team, but unfortunately the only people that play muscle back irons are typically getting them for free because there on tour or there getting them at a discount because they work in golf somewhere. It costs tens of thousands of dollars to make tooling for a forged iron and if you are going to sell less that 1000 sets at full price its not always worth it. With that being said we are still going to push hard to make one and your request will help fuel our case. Thanks (Fox)[/i]

[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1397833178' post='9118781']
Will there be a replacement for the mb2s this year?
[/quote]

[i]Justin H. and I are trying to sell making an MB3 to the rest of the team, but unfortunately the only people that play muscle back irons are typically getting them for free because there on tour or there getting them at a discount because they work in golf somewhere. It costs tens of thousands of dollars to make tooling for a forged iron and if you are going to sell less that 1000 sets at full price its not always worth it. With that being said we are still going to push hard to make one and your request will help fuel our case. Thanks (Fox)[/i]

[quote name='jas904' timestamp='1397832180' post='9118651']
Question regarding my 14 year old daughter, 6 handicap, 85 MPH driver clubhead speed. She is struggling hitting her 5 and 6 irons high with regular steel shafts. How do you think the XTD irons will perform in regards to trajectory?
[/quote]

Wow, you have a very talented daughter! One of the great things about the mid irons in the XTD iron set is that we did not strengthen the mid irons. Though the XTD iron set is a distance iron set, relative to other sets in this category, our 6-Iron loft only measures 28deg. The extra loft should produce more launch and spin to possibly help achieve a higher ball flight. The increased ball speed will help too! - JG

[quote name='birdiebuster72' timestamp='1398276054' post='9152819']
I purchased the Idea CMB irons last summer with the KBS c-taper shafts, First off let me say they were the best irons I have hit in the last 16 years! Does adams plan on making a second version of those irons this year with the KBS C-tapers in them?

Thanks! Love Adams products!
[/quote]

<Justin Honea> Thanks for the great feedback. The CMB irons are one of my favorites as well! Actually the new XTD Forged irons are the next generation of the CMB irons with added technology in the same chassis or body. We added a full floating face with slot to a forging which is an industry first and allowed us to achieve 230+ CT on a forged iron. We spent a lot a time working on the feel and sound of this iron because adding slots and increasing the speed of the face usually have a negative impact on sound. I think we landed it a really good spot on both sound and feel. And yes they have the KBS C-Taper shafts in them as well!

[quote name='AdamsGolf' timestamp='1398276002' post='9152807']
[quote name='gmangolf' timestamp='1398275779' post='9152761']
The last Adams hybrid I used extensively was an Idea Pro Gold Boxer. I loved this club, but unfortunately I found it incredibly easy to hook like crazy. Anything available that might help minimize the big miss? Obviously a bad swing is a bad swing, but I found that one too easy to get away from me.
[/quote]
Our DHy and Pro Mini are designed with a bit more fade bias than some of our other hybrids (Pro Gold Boxer included), so you might want to give one of those a try. Those were designed with the tour player in mind who generally do not need any help turning the ball over.
-Matt Neeley
[/quote]

Thanks much for the reply! Will definitely give these a look!

[quote name='pizan619' timestamp='1397832942' post='9118747']
In regards to the new XTD irons, which in my opinion have a new and refreshing look to them, what exactly went into the design of the club head (thought process behind the design in regards to playability, forgiveness, length, feel)?

And finally, coud you please provide some insight into the KBS C-Taper 90 shaft you are offering in the club as not much information is known about this shaft? I think a lot of people would like to know why this shaft was chosen for the XTD model (since it is not a retail shaft from KBS) and what it offers to players!

Thank You Adams Golf
From a prospective and hopeful Adams XTD iron owner!
[/quote]

At Adams, we work hard (industrial designers and engineers) to make sure we work together to insure an eye catching but functional cavity design. Functionally, the Cross Cavity design serves multiple purposes.
By pulling mass away from the face, you are able push the center of gravity deeper creating an improved gear effect that a traditional iron design struggles with. A deeper center of gravity, helps keep off center shots more online improving dispersion.
When creating a high CT/COR iron, it is necessary to decrease the face thickness and incorporate a cut-thru slot design. Unfortunately, the sound at impact changes when you do this. To counter this effect, we used the cross cavity design to add a rubber “pressure piston” behind the center circular badge. This rubber piston is compressed against the back of the center of the face where the face deflects the most that we refer to as the oscillation apex. What the rubber plunger does is reduce the duration of the sound and improve the feel to create a hot but crisp sound at impact.

Like most distance irons, the head is designed with a parallel hosel bore, so the KBS C-Taper 90 shaft is the parallel tip version of the C-Taper lite. It’s very similar in design, but because it’s a parallel tip design it will be a little lighter than its counterpart, C-Taper Lite. - JG

[quote name='LorenRobertsFan' timestamp='1397833509' post='9118823']
What are the performance differences between your steel-faced hybrids and the Ti faced hybrids?
[/quote]

In golf club design, with titanium we typically see a higher COR result compared to the steel counterpart creating a hotter face. Titanium’s strength to weight ratio is nearly 15% better than steel which allows us to remove mass off the face creating more discretionary mass for the engineers to use and further improve the center of gravity location of the club head.- JG