Recap: LIVE Q&A with Adams Golf from Wed April 23, 2014

HipCheck

[quote name='ram01002' timestamp='1397771997' post='9114527']
First off, I wanted to let you know that the DHy is the best club I have owned in the past 3 years . . . thanks for a great product! Can you talk about the trade off between CG and MOI?
[/quote]

Happy to hear you are enjoying the DHy design. Jeff Overton is a huge advocate of our new Pro DHy. When the first DHy design was released on Tour as a prototype, it created a significant amount of buzz as the club gave a little more forgiveness than a traditional long iron, but for those who are still looking for a compact design that an iron like shape can provide.
As far as how CG and MOI correlate, it can be a little bit of a tradeoff. As MOI increases the CG tends to move vertically up and further back. This is why shaping and vertical profile of a golf club design is so important. There are some ways to improve MOI while minimizing the negative effects of the CG. With a golfer that could use the benefits of MOI, Adams has two very effective design techniques, upside down technology (all hybrids and Tight lies) and low profile designs (Tight Lies and IDEA). - Justin Girard

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1398273039' post='9152237']
How has your Long Drive section been affected lately with Callaway entering the market? Are you still advancing in LD or is it taking a back seat since joining forces with TMAG?
[/quote]We certainly enjoyed our relationship with the LDA and a few of the players over the past years. However, with our new focus to Own The Second Shot and drive those parts of our business (hybrids, fairway woods, irons) in addition to growing our international business we went a different direction and used our $ and resources to sign world class players like Ernie Els and focus on hybrid counts across the globe - not just in the US.
-Blev

[quote name='AdamsGolf' timestamp='1398272684' post='9152181']
[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1398272595' post='9152165']
[color=#282828]Any truth Adams was/is thinking about doing some sort of MOI matching/fitting for their irons? I think this would be a great way to differentiate yourself if you even offered the option. [/color]
[/quote]

This is a great and interesting point. MOI in irons often gets under looked when communicated to the consumer. The volume (cc) of the head and how efficiently the mass is placed inside this volume is what determines the MOI value. Even though we don’t have a specific fitting system in terms of MOI, our iron lineup ranges from a compact, but very playable forged iron in our XTD forged set to our new IDEA Hybrid-Iron integrated set. Each set is targeting a handicap and ability range specific to the playability of the irons which MOI plays a great deal into. For the New IDEA Hybrid Iron set, where MOI plays a significant role in the playability, we have a patent protected design that we refer to as the “ABC” patent which lets us have three different club types based on volume (and thus MOI) that allows us to integrated the appropriate amount of MOI into each hybrid and iron to help the golfer through their entire set.
[/quote]

This reply missed the point entirely. Question was about MOI matched club fitting as an alternative to conventional swingweight fitting.

[quote name='rtraudt' timestamp='1397772902' post='9114611']
First off, thank you Adams for making fantastic equipment. I've currently got a Fast 12 LS that cycles in and out of my bag (depending on the course I'm playing and wind conditions) as well as Tight Lies and Super 9031 that are going to be in the bag for a LONG time. I'm wearing an Adams golf hat as we speak as well! My question is, being in my 20s, many of my playing partners comment on my Adams gear and clubs and ask me why I'm playing "old man clubs." Although I love the gear, I can't disagree with the perception that Adams gear is played by a predominantly older crowd. [b]In light of this, is Adams planning to branch out and try and sign some newer, younger stars to help boost their sales and appeal with a younger golfing crowd?[/b] I know far too many golfers my age who don't even give Adams clubs a shot (huge mistake, IMO), and I can't help but feel that their decision is made largely in part because of the lack of high-profile, younger stars sponsored by Adams.

Thanks again, keep making great clubs (especially with "real-deal" shafts, which us GolfWRX members all appreciate), and I'll keep buying! Those XTD forged irons are calling my name...
[/quote]

[i]We hear you regarding the “old mans clubs” comment. Honestly, our first real tour push came on the Champions tour years ago. As we continue to support that tour and our players on it, we are also investing in other tours as well. For instance, our starting line up for this week’s PGA Tour event : Zurich Classi of New Orleans is: Nicolas Thompson, Jeff Overton, Robert Garrigus, Troy Merritt, Josh Teater, Ernie Els, and Lee Williams. We are really proud of this team and will continue to build on the momentum going forward. We also have signed 11 players on the Web.com. I suspect since we still have quite a few Champions tour players including high profile players like Tom Watson, Kenny Perry, and Bernhard Langer (among others) that we will continue to be seen as slightly older, but we feel like we have a good balance right now and couldn’t be happier. - Scott Blevins[/i]

[quote name='AdamsGolf' timestamp='1398273189' post='9152281']
[quote name='Jimmy Mac' timestamp='1398272678' post='9152179']
Adams has a great selection of hybrids and irons for different styles of players, but only a single driver option, why? Does research show high and low handicappers share the same needs?
[/quote]

This is a great question! As a company of our size, it is difficult to launch multiple drivers within the same year. What we try to focus on with our drivers are technologies that can benefit all golfers! Most recently, we have developed a manufacturing process that only works well for a small company like us that allows us to claim we have the "hottest face in golf" It'd be tough to find a golfer that doesn't want that in their Driver!

- JG
[/quote]

The fact you guys test each head (assuming you really do) is absolutely awesome in my book. I'm not exactly a fan of the 'look' of the crown, but if you can incorporate that level of consistency with something perhaps more traditional, you'd have a for sure winner.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

from a marketing perspective is Adams targeting a "different" golf consumer than parent company TM? if so, who?
additionally; what are Adams short and long-term goals in the golf club industry (growth/market share/expansion/etc)?

[i]i also asked earlier in the thread if there are any additional co-branding initiatives on the horizon similar to what was done in 2013 with SWA?[/i]

thanks for fielding our questions on WRX (i'm glad to be able to ask a question [i]live[/i]) - really cool!

[quote name='mikes919' timestamp='1398273266' post='9152301']
I really like the way that the 24* DHy sets up to my eye, but it's a little too fade-biased for me. Any suggestions on a different long iron replacement option, or an adjustment?
[/quote]
We designed the DHy to be a bit more fade biased than the rest of our lineup as it is targeted at that better player...and those guys hate hitting hooks! The new Pro Mini and Pro will be have a bit more draw bias and help you turn the ball over. The IDEA hybrids will have the most help with hitting a draw. -Matt Neeley

[quote name='wdwfan78' timestamp='1397795419' post='9116927']
Adams seems to go above an beyond with shaft pairings in their equipment. From the C-Taper as a stock shaft in the XTD forged and the Aldlia Tour Series in the Pro's, I am curious if shaft choice is a factor in the design of the clubs during the R&D phase or is it something that is factored in after design is complete and you are trying to respond to the market after the fact.
[/quote]

Just a friendly bump :)

[quote name='mikes919' timestamp='1398273051' post='9152241']
Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions! I put this one back on page 1, I'd be very interested in your response:

For Justin Honea- I saw in a previous interview that you said the new XTD driver has the hottest face in golf because you hold such tight manufacturing tolerances. Does Adams use any special manufacturing processes to enable these tight tolerances? Or have you figured out new ways to design around traditional manufacturing methods?

Thanks again Adams!
[/quote]

<Justin Honea> We took what was already established and create new processes and new check points that no one else in the industry uses. This process costs a lot to setup and adds a lot of cost to each driver but it is well worth the money when we see the smiles at demo days! The majority of drivers off the production line are never checked for CT which means you could grab one with a 235 CT or one with a 250 CT. Would you knowingly buy the slower driver on the shelf?!? We have the Hottest Face in Golf and we are very proud of this! When the idea was pitched to our suppliers there was a lot of resistance because it would require a lot more time on the production line as well as a high reject rate but our Engineer Manager – Metalwoods (Alex Berger) took on the challenge and flew to Asia and created a new production process that we plan to carry forward on the next driver launch.

[quote name='tbirds16' timestamp='1397778665' post='9115071']
How do you decide which tour players to pursue to sign to play your clubs? Thanks.
[/quote][quote name='tbirds16' timestamp='1397778665' post='9115071']
How do you decide which tour players to pursue to sign to play your clubs? Thanks.
[/quote]

[i]We look at many factors including their playing performance on tour, their ability and track record making cuts and contending, their past history playing our clubs, their personalities and interaction with fans, media & tournament volunteers, and now their social media presence. We focus on players who are friendly, inviting and want to be part of a hard-working and authentic golf club company and in the company of world class players like Tom Watson, Kenny Perry, Bernhard Langer, and Ernie Els.- Scott Blevins[/i]

Another quick question. What is the selection process like for determining stock shafts for a given club? For example, how did you decide on each of the new ATX Tour shafts for each of the new Pro hybrids?

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

[quote name='IheartNY' timestamp='1398273271' post='9152305']
On Golf Channel's Big Break Florida: do all the contestants use all Adams Golf clubs or do they just carry an Adams Golf bag?
[/quote]

Since it is a competition and there is prize money involved the players are allowed to play clubs of their choosing. Many of them play Adams clubs but we cannot require them to do so. They have a chance to work with our fitters and use our clubs if they want. - Woody

[quote name='Mizgoodie' timestamp='1397779695' post='9115181']
its known I like Adams stuff. 2 questions

1. what points on the xtd driver face are tested?

2. is anything new for the wedges for 2014 and beyond?

thanks for the time and chat.
[/quote]

Good question. During the final manufacturing process we only check center CT and we do that 4 times before the driver head proceeds to the cosmetic line. The reason we don’t check off-center CT at this stage is we did this during the development of the driver head. We spend countless hours working to define the face geometry (thickness) and during this process we check 9 CT points across the face to ensure we have the correct thickness transitions to deliver maximum speed on center and off-center hits.
2) We are currently working on a wedge for Ernie Els and you can expect to see that this year. Ernie is such a great short game player we figured who better than the Big Easy to help us design a new wedge…..he provided a lot of great feedback on shape and sole design which you will see in the new wedges. - Justin Honea

Adam's golf has never been shy about pushing the aesthetics of the club, espeically the woods/hybrids with slots and aerodynamic ridges on the crown to improve performance. How do you try and balance the performance vs look, if at all? Has there ever been any apprehension on a clubs look even though you beleive in the performance it generates?

[quote name='ORUTRAVIS' timestamp='1397780054' post='9115219']
I was a big fan of the Hit Fit system and used it a lot when fitting. Is Adams looking to improve, update, or really push the system again? I know as the head club fitter at our store I was having our guys who didn't have the fitting expertise to use and it made them look like stars.

I think for the big box stores and pro shops this could essentially help fit more customers into proper hybrids and fairway woods. I would typically take a guy who may been looking for just one hybrid and be able to show him what set makeup would best suit his game. You guys know this already but I was disappointed to not see it updated at the arrival of the xtd launch.

I personally changed my own club setup using this system, now I am convinced it works. As a former touring pro it's not easy to take out the three and four irons but I have now found myself scoring better from outside 200 yards and that's exciting.

Sorry for the rant but I believe that if at all possible that system should be pushed again. Thanks for any information.

Travis
[/quote]

Thank you for the question and because of your interest we have decided to update this system and re-launch it to our customers. We also think the system is a great fitting tool and we are excited to hear comments like yours. Look for more on this topic really soon! - Justin Honea

my initial questions from 4/19 are below.

Two great companies (Adams Golf and Southwest Airlines) created a unique partnership for the 2013 season where the Tour Staff carried co-branded bags as part of the "easy million" campaign. How successful was this campaign in increasing sales of the SUPER family of clubs for Adams and are you actively pursuing any "non-traditional" partnerships for future marketing campaigns?

I'd also be interested in the "most interesting" equipment request from a tour staff pro...

[quote name='mikes919' timestamp='1397781160' post='9115315']
For Justin Honea- I saw in a previous interview that you said the new XTD driver has the hottest face in golf because you hold such tight manufacturing tolerances. Does Adams use any special manufacturing processes to enable these tight tolerances? Or have you figured out new ways to design around traditional manufacturing methods?

Any plans to use the XTD irons' floating face technology on other clubs? It's a cool concept! I love my CB3's but the technology behind the XTD's is tempting.

Thanks Adams and Golfwrx!
[/quote]

We took what was already established and create new processes and new check points that no one else in the industry uses. The majority of drivers off the production line are never checked for CT which means you could grab one with a 235 CT or one with a 250 CT. Why would you ever knowing buy the one that was 235 CT!?! We have the Hottest Face in Golf and we are very proud of this! When the idea was pitched to our suppliers there was a lot of resistance because it would require a lot more time on the production line as well as a high reject rate but our Engineer Manager – Metalwoods (Alex Berger) took on the challenge and flew to Asia and created a new production process that we plan to carry forward on the next driver launch. - Justin Honea

[quote name='dukediv2011' timestamp='1398273362' post='9152329']
I recently bought the XTD forged irons. Why did y'all decide to use a 4 hybrid in the stock set instead of a 4 iron?
[/quote]
Good question! We feel that better players need help too, so why not put the #1 hybrid model on tour in our player's set? With a majority of PGA Tour players having at least 1 hybrid in the bag it just made sense. Keep in mind that via custom order you can get that 4 iron if you are interested! -Matt Neeley

[quote name='JPNC1977' timestamp='1397782020' post='9115409']
The CMB is a classic and still a favorite.

Any plans to add adjustability features to future hybrid lines?
[/quote]

[i]Thanks, the CMB was one of our favorites too. [/i]
[i]Adjustability in hybrids is something we currently offer in our XTD ti hybrid, with +/- a 1.5* of loft change with our adjustable sleeve system. Putting adjustable hosels or other types of adjustability in hybrids is something we are always discussing, but it would require us to raise prices as it costs a lot for adjustable features. The cost to benefit is the ever continuing battle. [/i]
[i]At Adams Golf we are one of the only if not the only company where you can custom order your hybrids through any Adams retailer to the loft or lie you desire. So because we offer that service we decided not to do adjustability to all hybrids this year and you aren’t missing out at dialing in your hybrids. [/i]
[i]Adjustable hybrids is a topic we are frequently re-visiting and questions like this show us there is definitely a need for it. (MF)[/i]

[quote name='AdamsGolf' timestamp='1398273395' post='9152335']
[quote name='rtraudt' timestamp='1397772902' post='9114611']
First off, thank you Adams for making fantastic equipment. I've currently got a Fast 12 LS that cycles in and out of my bag (depending on the course I'm playing and wind conditions) as well as Tight Lies and Super 9031 that are going to be in the bag for a LONG time. I'm wearing an Adams golf hat as we speak as well! My question is, being in my 20s, many of my playing partners comment on my Adams gear and clubs and ask me why I'm playing "old man clubs." Although I love the gear, I can't disagree with the perception that Adams gear is played by a predominantly older crowd. [b]In light of this, is Adams planning to branch out and try and sign some newer, younger stars to help boost their sales and appeal with a younger golfing crowd?[/b] I know far too many golfers my age who don't even give Adams clubs a shot (huge mistake, IMO), and I can't help but feel that their decision is made largely in part because of the lack of high-profile, younger stars sponsored by Adams.

Thanks again, keep making great clubs (especially with "real-deal" shafts, which us GolfWRX members all appreciate), and I'll keep buying! Those XTD forged irons are calling my name...
[/quote]

[i]We hear you regarding the “old mans clubs” comment. Honestly, our first real tour push came on the Champions tour years ago. As we continue to support that tour and our players on it, we are also investing in other tours as well. For instance, our starting line up for this week’s PGA Tour event : Zurich Classi of New Orleans is: Nicolas Thompson, Jeff Overton, Robert Garrigus, Troy Merritt, Josh Teater, Ernie Els, and Lee Williams. We are really proud of this team and will continue to build on the momentum going forward. We also have signed 11 players on the Web.com. I suspect since we still have quite a few Champions tour players including high profile players like Tom Watson, Kenny Perry, and Bernhard Langer (among others) that we will continue to be seen as slightly older, but we feel like we have a good balance right now and couldn’t be happier. - Scott Blevins[/i]
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply! Watching Thompson in contention at the RBC Heritage was very exciting (and I must mention that I loved the hat he was wearing...going to have to replace my old Adams hat with one of those!). I was also very exicted to see Ernie join the team this year, and I really hope his new XTD irons hit the market!

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

[quote name='browne11' timestamp='1397782289' post='9115441']
Is the sldr technology going to trickle into the Adams side of the company at anytime soon. Do you guys believe in the 17-1700 launch that Taylormade is pushing.

Thanks

Denny
[/quote]

[i]If you are referring to the sliding weight on the SLDR driver then the answer is “no”. Golfers already have a driver that has that technology and it’s from the #1 driver in golf, you don’t need a second option. [/i]
[i]If you are referring to TaylorMade’s forward CG technology, that answer is maybe. CG moving is a large part of golf club design and for some companies the only part of the game. A forward CG position is something we are looking at for future products if we feel it would be right for that product. However if we do end up using a forward CG, it will most likely be the 3[sup]rd[/sup] or 4[sup]th[/sup] bullet point on the product because like the sliding weight, you guys already have products that focus on a forward CG you don’t need another. If we use forward CG it will be in compliment to other new technologies we put on products.[/i]
[i]There are a number of ways to get distance. With drivers at Adams we are focusing on our QC4 face technology that gives us the “Hottest Face in Golf” because we are the only company that checks every driver for face speed to make sure that no one ever gets a slow driver, our Cut-thru Velocity slot technology, Progressive face thickness and aerodynamics to get our distance. (Michael Fox)[/i]

[quote name='AdamsGolf' timestamp='1398273456' post='9152349']
[quote name='mikes919' timestamp='1398273051' post='9152241']
Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions! I put this one back on page 1, I'd be very interested in your response:

Thanks again Adams!
[/quote]

<Justin Honea> We took what was already established and create new processes and new check points that no one else in the industry uses. This process costs a lot to setup and adds a lot of cost to each driver but it is well worth the money when we see the smiles at demo days! The majority of drivers off the production line are never checked for CT which means you could grab one with a 235 CT or one with a 250 CT. Would you knowingly buy the slower driver on the shelf?!? We have the Hottest Face in Golf and we are very proud of this! When the idea was pitched to our suppliers there was a lot of resistance because it would require a lot more time on the production line as well as a high reject rate but our Engineer Manager – Metalwoods (Alex Berger) took on the challenge and flew to Asia and created a new production process that we plan to carry forward on the next driver launch.
[/quote]

Wow, great! I didn't expect that anyone would be checking CT 100%. I'm sure you have a solid manufacturing plan in place or you wouldn't be moving forward, but I'm curious how you handle the reject problem with so much value in each head. Can you rework drivers for CT?

[quote name='AdamsGolf' timestamp='1398273680' post='9152399']
[quote name='dukediv2011' timestamp='1398273362' post='9152329']
I recently bought the XTD forged irons. Why did y'all decide to use a 4 hybrid in the stock set instead of a 4 iron?
[/quote]
Good question! We feel that better players need help too, so why not put the #1 hybrid model on tour in our player's set? With a majority of PGA Tour players having at least 1 hybrid in the bag it just made sense. Keep in mind that via custom order you can get that 4 iron if you are interested! -Matt Neeley
[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Any reason why you used the Matrix shaft in the DHy instead of the Tour Green like in your other hybrids?

[quote name='Goldenhawk' timestamp='1397782915' post='9115511']
Adams is definitely the most innovative company in golf. The CB3 Irons were awesome. Does Adams plan on releasing CB4 Irons in the future?
[/quote]

[i]I sent this to all the engineers and they all say thank you. They would do it themselves, but most of them just got back from their trip to Bandon and they are a little tired. [/i]

[i]We don’t plan on releasing a CB4 iron by name, because we are trying to focus our product line on four brands, and a “CB” line is a difficult line to gain awareness on. What we are doing is rolling that product into our XTD brand. The new XTD Tour irons, which Ernie is playing is a very similar shape to the CB3s with, but with our new Cross Cavity Technology and Cut-thru slots. If you are looking for a CB4 type of iron you will love these when they come out in August. (Fox)[/i]

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1398273342' post='9152321']
Have you considered doing custom badges or stickers for the backs of your irons? It seems that customisation is all the rage, and I'm wondering if you believe there's money in it.
[/quote]
We love customization and a number of us have our clubs blinged out here. Unfortunately its proven to not be a profitable business model. The costs of the extra steps to customizes clubs is significant and typically golfers aren't willing to spend the money or take the time to get customized clubs. Even something as simple as stamping clubs we estimated would cost $10 a club wholesale just to alter the process and create a body to do the stamping. Unfortunately the demand does not meet the cost. We try and focus all of our attention on products that can make big differences in the game and customization is a nice to have and right now not part of our strategy. Thanks (Fox)