Recap: LIVE Q&A with Adams Golf from Wed April 23, 2014

HipCheck

[quote name='MaydayGSXR' timestamp='1398276636' post='9152917']
The DHy's are marketed as having low launching, penetrating flights. As a driving iron, I can see the 18° or even possibly the 21° as being viable for the job, but what about the 24° and 27°? Are the higher lofted clubs to be used more as iron replacements than driving irons?

Also, the face bulge design for improved dispersion and forgiveness is very intriguing to to me because it sounds like I could hit them confidently, but the DHy's are also described as extremely workable (which can scare me off sometimes as a mid-high handicap player). Is the face bulge technology and benefits independent of the workability factor (i.e., you can shape shots if you want to like most any other club, but the face bulge will really help with shot dispersion regardless of how you are shaping the shot)?

I also just read one of your replies stating the DHy and Pro Mini are more fade biased, does that mean the Pro is draw biased? Or is it just more neutral?
[/quote]
We didn't design the DHy to be just another driving iron. We saw what was wrong with a lot of the driving irons on the market...very hard to hit, really low launching, and low CT. The clubs were great to hit stingers off the tee with but they weren't going to go very high or very far. By making the DHy a bit more 'hybridesque' (don't think that is a word but it is now) we were able to give it high CT and make it higher launching...resulting in long, high, and beautiful shots. But it is definitely workable which is why it has caught on so well on the tour. The bulge and roll actually helps more with the forgiveness that it does workability...bulge and roll definitely goes more to help with shot dispersion on mishits versus working the ball right to left. As a mid-capper do not be afraid of the DHy...it is your friend!
-Matt Neeley @mattneeley

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bvmagic' timestamp='1397864617' post='9121999']
How has the merger with Taylormade affected your marketing strategy for Adams golf? First word that pops in my mind when you mention Adams is hybrids. First word if you mention Taylormade is drivers. I personally never considered purchasing an Adams club that is not a hybrid.
[/quote]

[b]You will notice our marketing focus is on the Second Shot categories (fairway woods, hybrids and irons) while still supporting other club categories to an extent. We have history and leadership in these categories and, to the surprise of many, we don’t share marketing/advertising budgets with Taylormade, so we have to operate more efficiently with our marketing efforts. Your “first word” exercise is actually very close to the latest market research from the golf industry when asked the first things that come to mind about Adams: “hybrids” “Tight Lies” and “fairway woods” … and that’s what we want. -SB[/b]

[quote name='Quebec Club Ho' timestamp='1397857521' post='9121483']
Thank you Adams golf for answering our questions!

1. Can you compare the 2014 pro hybrid's launch characteristics, forgiveness on off centre hits, and ball speed compared to the super LS? I'm looking for an increase in launch angle with the same forgiveness and ball speed of the LS

2. How does the pro hybrid's Aldila atx red shaft compare to the Matrix altus? Once again I'm looking for a higher launch.

Thanks you again for doing this!
[/quote]

The goal of the Super LS hybrid was to maximize distance gains in every way possible. We did this through materials, velocity slot technology, length and loft. What we learned from that was that this hybrid was going too far and was starting to replace FWs in the tour player’s bags. Tour players would either replace their FWs with the Super LS Hybrid or pass on it because of the distance increase. With the XTD Ti Hybrid, we decided to dial it back with more tour specific lofts and lengths but keep the multi-material (Ti/Steel) and Velocity Slot technology. For the average golfer, with the shorter lengths and slightly higher lofts, the consistency improved significantly creating more consistent distances with an increase in launch.
2. We used the Matrix Altus Hybrid shaft in the Pro a12 Hybrid and compared to the Aldila Tour Red Hybrid shaft is a little less stiff in the butt and tip.

-JG

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1397862315' post='9121819']
How much has joining with Taylormade affected your designs? which technologies have you coveted and which technologies have you decided not to utilize? Is there anything new in the works that may be a threat to kick some of your current beloved clubs by many out of the bag?
[/quote]

We get this question a lot and the simple answer is if anything it has motivated us here at Adams Golf to design even better equipment than before. We operate totally separate from Taylormade and sure we share ideas and product plans but what is our idea stays our idea and vice versa. The ultimate goal for Taylormade was to buy Adams so that they could dominate a larger section of the golf market. We both have our niches and combined we are huge player in the golf space. On the technology side there has been and will be some sharing for the good of both brands. We are part of the same family so nothing is really hidden but we do look hard from all angles to make sure there is not too much overlap on technology. We need to maintain an identity for each brand and the worst thing we can do is start making the same product with the same technology. -JH

[quote name='birdiebuster72' timestamp='1398276440' post='9152893']
Can you explain in further Adams partnership with Southwest Airlines? I see the PGA Players sporting those cool staff bags everywhere!
[/quote]Thanks for the question and I'm glad you are seeing the bags! On a tour level, our partnership with Southwest allows our Adams Staffers to fly free and take advantage of all the Southwest amenities like no bag fees, change fees, etc. It also exposes our tour players to a new audience of consumers - they are featured in airport events, Southwest commercials, viral video's, In Flight magazines, etc. Finally, It also gives our company a great opportunity to reach a larger audience and tie our brand more closely to the #8 Most Admired company in the world. For Southwest, it allows them to break into the golf market in a big way - quickly and efficiently. We are extremely proud of this partnership and today we took it to another level with the following video: [url="http://youtu.be/xCoMztvFj9s"]http://youtu.be/xCoMztvFj9s[/url]. Check it out! - Scott Blevins

[quote name='Lexicographer' timestamp='1397867671' post='9122279']
How much does sound play a role in the design of your club heads? And if it does, do you aim for different sounds for different product categories? For example, louder for GI clubs, more muted for players clubs, etc.
[/quote]

Up until 5-6 years ago sound was more of an afterthought for a lot of the industry. Large, geometric shape drivers were designed for stability or MOI and with the shape came a really bad sound. That was really the breaking point for the golf industry and sound became one of the priorities in club design. We currently conduct modal analysis in 3D CAD during the design stage and we have a current threshold for frequency that we design to depending on the size or volume of the product. There are many structural things we can do to fine tune the sound of the golf club. Typically we design to the same number regardless of player type because most players (better player or super game improvement) connect sound to feel and we have established a frequency band that seems to be accepted by all players. -JH

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1397865819' post='9122099']
Does the back of the XTD iron play any role in the performance Of the club or are the just for aesthetics? Does it affect ball flight, forgiveness or centre of gravity?

Thanks.
[/quote]

At Adams, we work hard (industrial designers and engineers) to make sure we work together to insure an eye catching but functional cavity design. Functionally, the Cross Cavity design serves multiple purposes.
By pulling mass away from the face, you are able push the center of gravity deeper creating an improved gear effect that a traditional iron design struggles with. A deeper center of gravity, helps keep off center shots more online improving dispersion.
When creating a high CT/COR iron, it is necessary to decrease the face thickness and incorporate a cut-thru slot design. Unfortunately, the sound at impact changes when you do this. To counter this effect, we used the cross cavity design to add a rubber “pressure piston” behind the center circular badge. This rubber piston is compressed against the back of the center of the face where the face deflects the most that we refer to as the oscillation apex. What the rubber plunger does is reduce the duration of the sound and improve the feel to create a hot but crisp sound at impact. -JG

[quote name='gmangolf' timestamp='1398277161' post='9153025']
Do you assess penalty strokes at your company championship to anyone playing Titleist or Callaway clubs, or just post pictures of them around the office to make them feel ashamed? :)
[/quote]
No penalty is assessed, as playing with inferior equipment is a penalty in itself. -Fox-

[quote name='TPG1971' timestamp='1398276719' post='9152931']
I own an Original Tight Lies Tour fairway wood, and I used it for many years. I am currently in the market for a new Hybrid. The original Tight Lies fairway wood seemed to be a miracle worker back then. What would the benefit be to trying one of your hybrids vs. the standard hybrid that is currently offered by other manufacturers? The second part of my question would be, Are the new Hybrids as easy to launch as that old fairway wood used to be? I realize they are different beasts, but any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
[/quote]
We designed the new Tight Lies to be as close as possible to the original. We just wanted to modernize the shape a bit and give it a bit more appealing look from address. But it still has the same face height, and with the slots it is also hot! The new Tight Lies is going to be ridiculously easy to get up in the air and out of trouble...it is definitely another miracle worker! Obviously we think our hybrids are better than our competitors...we have so many designs that there is surely one to fit your game. I think that is one of the things we do better than everyone else.
-Matt Neeley @mattneeley

[quote name='Johnny T' timestamp='1397872225' post='9122723']
What were some of the deciding factors/driving forces behind reintroducing the Tight Lies fairways?

What design features make the Tight Lies so easy to launch? It doesn't appear too different from any other fairway (minus the flat center portion of the sole), yet it launches so much easier.
[/quote]

[i]We originally had no plans to re-launch Tight Lies, but the market “asked for it”. Meaning there was a large need in the market place the no one was meeting. In the search for extra yards the market had shifted to deep face, 43 ½”, low spin, large fairway woods which are basically off the tee clubs. The clubs don’t have enough spin to get up in the air and it made the fairway wood the hardest to hit club in the bag again. The new Tight Lies is the easiest to hit fairway ever created and now is paired with the most advanced slot ever created. The new “velocity slot” created almost driver like speeds and allows us to create a fairway wood that again is easy to hit from everywhere. [/i]

[i]When the original Tight Lies first came out in 1996 it was the only easy to hit, low profile tri-sole golf club in a market of big/deep driver like fairway woods. Tight Lies started a new wave in fairway woods, where all companies moved to low profile shapes. 20 years later the market has come almost full circle. More than ever before golfers are in need of a fairway wood that most importantly is easy to hit. If we launched Tight Lies 2 years ago it wouldn’t have worked. But when you look at the market is now a club like that was in need by golfers. -MF[/i]

[quote name='Micrys2' timestamp='1397873845' post='9122873']

Just wondering who the target audience is for your various hybrids. Seems as though they differ. For instance, I love your DHY and pro hybrids but can't getaway straight answer regarding whether they are designed to be serviceable from the rough or just a a tee and fairway iron replacement.

Thanks and appreciate Adams products very much.
[/quote]

[i]The Pro DHys is awesome club from everywhere and a personal favorite of everyone at Adams and on the PGA tour. It was meant to replace your 3, 4 or 5 irons, not to be a 2 iron to hit off the tee. You should be able to easily hit it from everywhere even better than your irons. [/i]

[i]Pro hybrid - #1 hybrid model at the Heritage that everyone can play[/i]
[i]Pro Mini – a leading hybrid on tour made specifically for fast swing speed players and golfer who like smaller hybrids[/i]
[i]Pro Dhy – see above, but this is for everyone. Its not easier to hit that a 3 hybrid, but its way easier to hit than a 4 iron[/i]
[i]Idea – the easiest to hit hybrid we make[/i]
[i]XTD Ti hybrid – the best of the best titanium hybrid (Fox)[/i]

[quote name='AdamsGolf' timestamp='1398275397' post='9152699']
[quote name='azam14' timestamp='1398275167' post='9152665']
I have a 19* Super S and i want a heavier shaft, should i just upgrade the shaft or get like a pro or dhy with a heavier shaft.
[/quote]
If you love the head (which, of course, I am sure you do) you could definitely swap it out for a heavier shaft. The DHy might be a good option for a long iron replacement (21* or 24*). If you are just getting the itch for a new club the Pro would be great to replace the Super S...should give you a bit more workability and you will be playing the #1 hybrid on tour! -Matt Neeley
[/quote]

Awesome, thanks for answering ill give those option a look

[quote name='pre0024' timestamp='1397877210' post='9123143']
Thanks to Adams and Wrx for doing this.

We're all WITB nerds around here. So, to the panel what hybrids are in your bag?
[/quote]

[i]So are we. I will give you my bag, but this was a great idea and throughout the chat we will all provide our WITB[/i]

[i]XTD Driver – 9.0 / new UST Elements Chrome 64T / 45 ½ ” [/i]
[i]Tight lies – 16* retail head / Diamana D+ 70 / 42” [/i]
[i]Pro hybrid – 18* / Aldila Tour blue 85 [/i]
[i]Pro Dhy – 21* & 24* / Matrix White Ti[/i]
[i]XTD Irons – 6-PW / KBS Tour S+ / +1/2 / 1.5* upright [/i]
[i]Adams Proto wedges – 50*, 54*, 58* / TT S300[/i]
[i]Yes Donna – SuperStoke 1.0 Slim[/i]
[i]*Grips: Golf Pride Z-cords +3 wraps LH / +5 wraps RH (Fox)[/i]

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1397879211' post='9123251']
My question is as follows:

Is Adams as a brand going away from more traditional forged designs, and moving toward a more GI focus? I'm intrigued by the new XTD's, but the more traditional forgings are some of my favorite's ever. Huge Adams devotee and would love to see traditional forgings continued.
[/quote]

[i]I would check out the XTD forging. The shape is the same as the CMB, which we all know and love. It is a traditional forging, but with technology. We don’t think anyone has ever put this much tech into a club this small before. We will always make clubs for the best players in the world, but we will do it in ways that fill needs in the market, which no one else is meeting. In the case of the XTD forging, no one was making a true blade shape than went far. - Fox [/i]

[quote name='Hou_Hater' timestamp='1397880704' post='9123337']
I'm noticing the slot in these XTD irons - similar to the Taylormade Speedblades. Why would a player choose Adams' XTDs over the Speedblades when the technology looks and performs strikingly similar to one another?
[/quote]

[i]The XTD irons have a cross cavity design, which moves the CG back off the face to create more corrective spin on off-center hits. The XTD irons also have a new sounds control system called a pressure piston. This allows for a great sound on such a thin faces iron. Try them both and see which one you like better. You should always demo your irons. (Fox)[/i]

[quote name='DblEgl' timestamp='1397870884' post='9122585']
Any hints as to what equipment surprises we might expect in the near future ?

Adams has always produced 1st class clubs !
[/quote]

If I told you it wouldn’t be a surprise!! I believe the product line for Fall 2014 to Spring 2015 is our strongest product to date! I know I am a tease but you will have to wait and see. -JH

[quote name='gr8blueheronbird' timestamp='1398277301' post='9153061']
Does Adams Golf sell the most hybrids of any of the manufacturers?
[/quote]
Our hybrid strategy is to be the #1 hybrid company on tour. We have that #1 hybrid position on the top 9 tours in the world, which is basically all of them. We are selling more hybrids than we have ever before and hope to take the #1 sales position soon. -Fox-

[quote name='LeftyBam' timestamp='1397872677' post='9122765']
Thank you Adams for taking the time to jump into golfwrx to talk to some of us.

My questions is with innovations in technology where do you see you product lines going in the near future? Primarily you irons and wedges.
[/quote]

We are going to focus more attention on the Game Improvement Iron category as we have always done well in the Better Player arena and have dominated the Super Game Improvement category. You just saw a glimpse into our future with the XTD Cross Cavity design and that technology is here to stay and you will see more creative designs to enhance the performance in the near future. On the wedge front we are looking at creative ways to become a bigger player but the wedge business is a hard one since it is dominated by two large competitors and it is a relatively small piece of the golf market with limited growth potential. You will see a new wedge soon that will carry a new name/logo along with a cool new story. - JH

[quote name='AdamsGolf' timestamp='1398277622' post='9153115']
[quote name='gr8blueheronbird' timestamp='1398277301' post='9153061']
Does Adams Golf sell the most hybrids of any of the manufacturers?
[/quote]
Our hybrid strategy is to be the #1 hybrid company on tour. We have that #1 hybrid position on the top 9 tours in the world, which is basically all of them. We are selling more hybrids than we have ever before and hope to take the #1 sales position soon. -Fox-
[/quote]

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1397883455' post='9123503']
How much thought goes into picking the stock shafts?

The drivers have always been great and the irons with their graphite are very very nice.
[/quote]

Thanks for the nice comments here. We spend a lot of time on our shaft offerings and it is good to hear positive feedback from guys like you. We always want the shaft to compliment the head design which is why we meet with shaft supplier on a monthly basis to discuss our product plan, technology and performance expectations. To me the shaft is just as important as the design of the club head which is why we typically try and use real deal aftermarket shafts in our products. -JH

[quote name='txaggieman' timestamp='1398277208' post='9153037']
[quote name='ImBurningStarIV' timestamp='1398276406' post='9152883']
Can you guys, give an update on any new YES offerings. The Callie-Fc is still my favorite putter, would love to see a new forged putter line.
[/quote]

Bump. Any Yes! answers??
[/quote]Yes! is forging ahead with it's new offerings this season. The True Alignment series is a combination of technologies that will help your game. The major feature is the True Alignment BUMP on the sole. It allows the face to remain square if the hands are forward or back of vertical.

As for FORGED putters all I can say is that we are always working on new designs and it COULD HAPPEN. Stay tuned and remember that the C-Grooves rolls true helping the pall stay on line.

Are the newer hybrid really that much of an improvement over the Adams Pro Gold? I have yet to find a hybrid with the consistency and play ability that they offered. Also, is two degrees differential in loft really enough to justify an additional hybrid?

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1397883455' post='9123503']
How much thought goes into picking the stock shafts?

The drivers have always been great and the irons with their graphite are very very nice.
[/quote]

Thanks for the nice comments here. We spend a lot of time on our shaft offerings and it is good to hear positive feedback from guys like you. We always want the shaft to compliment the head design which is why we meet with shaft supplier on a monthly basis to discuss our product plan, technology and performance expectations. To me the shaft is just as important as the design of the club head which is why we typically try and use real deal aftermarket shafts in our products. -JH

[quote name='IheartNY' timestamp='1398277429' post='9153085']
The black paiint finish on the Pro Hybrids and DHY are outstanding. Can you please go over the painting processes. Also, if we wanted to match out steel irons with a DIY black finish, which black paint OTC products would you recommend us using? i.e. Berchwood Casey Perma Blue, etc...
[/quote]
Thank you for the comment on the finish...we think it is awesome too! As far as painting your own irons, I don't have a great answer for you. When I used to refinish my putters and wedges I actually did use the Birchwood Perma Blue...it gave a great finish but it is only going to work on products that don't have any plating (raw wedges and putters). I don't think it will work too well on our steel irons and would not reccommend it...but I won't stop you!
-Matt Neeley @mattneeley

[quote name='BogeysorBust' timestamp='1397885515' post='9123565']
Forged/cast--cast/forged; does it really make a difference for us 'average' golfers?
[/quote]

Short answer is better players can tell a difference between the two. BUT, that does not mean forged is better than cast or vice versa. The true answer lies in the material……most forgings are made from a very soft carbon steel which does feel different than a harder stainless steel but that does not mean that you cannot cast something from a softer carbon steel and get a feel very similar. Most companies do not cast product from a soft carbon steel because availability of raw material is less and the yeild/cost is higher. The material forgings are made from never really change so you can predict that feel/sound whereas cast clubs can differ in material from product to product and might yield a different feel/sound. So to answer your question I don’t think it makes a difference to the average golfer unless you love the feel of forgings and want to maintain that consistent feel. -JH