Ping rapture driving iron........holy cow

isgerrior

So I just picked up my DI today. Off to the course I went. I will admit that I went with the stock stiff shaft and ordered it having never hit it. Our range is only 170 yards so I couldn't even hit it there. Off to the first tee.......Pow.....240 yards with 5 yards of roll.......(course is a bit wet) no warm up or anything... It likes to be teed up low. Off to the fairway I go....Bang......230 with no roll. I can't wait until the course firms up. I was blown away with how easy it is to hit off the deck. Totally shocked. This thing is point and shoot. I am really looking to playing more with this. The course I play is on the ocean in RI. It is always windy. The ball flight is so penetrating... As soon as it comes off the face it just cuts through the wind. What a great club.

Callaway Rouge LS

CobraLTDx 3 wood

Ping 425 4 hybrid

Ping iCrossover 18*

Mizuno 923 Forged 5-pw

SM9 50/56/60

Ping Kushin4

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I REALLY wanted to like the Rapture DI..
I just couldn't get over the feel.. Felt "clicky" to me? If that makes sense
Hate to say it, but I really like the Callaway much better..
Which is really weird..
Can't argue with the performance tho... The Rapture DI flat out gets on it...
Great club!!
I'd like to hear how it does for ya with harder FW's

PING 410+ Alta 10.5
Callaway Flash SZ HZRDS Smoke 15*
TEE CBX 20*
PING i500 4-6, iBlade 7-PW DG S300 120’s
PING 2.0 Stealth 50ss 54ss 60ss
PING Redwood Anser

Don't worry Ron... I still own the 5-wood.... It's up on the mantle doing it's best impression of wall art

I'm getting 220 carry, [b]up to[/b] 270,280 with roll. I always play a pretty big push draw with it for roll. Flight has been pretty good. Much better than my 3H which was a ballooner. If you hit it solid into the wind it's fine.

However I have caught a semi-severe case of the blocks over the past few weeks .. I blocked it twice yesterday .. ergh. But I did kill it twice as well on the shorter par 4s. 2 iron / pitch is nice, sometimes it almost looks like I know what I'm doing. :)

I"ve still yet to try it off the turf, it hasn't come up very much. Next time I will.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]Β°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]Β° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]Β° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]Β°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]Β°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]Β° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

I just picked one up off the BST without ever swinging one just to see if it lives up to the hype. Got it for a decent price so figured why not! Should be getting it here in a few days. A low stinger type flight is exactly what I'm looking for out of it. Can't wait to give it a go.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro w/Kusala blk
Ping Rapture 3w 12.5*
Ping Rapture DI/Adams 9031 23*
Adams CB3 w/DG300's
Vokey Black Satin 54*/58*
Odyssey X-metal #7

I find it just as easy to hit off the turf as I do the tee. Excellent all around performing club.

Titleist 917 D3 8.5* (C1), GD Tour AD IZ 7tx <br /><br /><br /> Ping G400 14.5, GD Tour AD DI 8tx<br /><br /><br /> Titleist 718 TMB 2-iron, Tour AD DI <br /><br /><br /> Ping S55 4-PW, KBS Ctaper 125 S+<br /><br /><br /> PING Nome TR, 35" slight arc<br /><br /><br /> Ping Glide Stealth 50ss, 54ss, 60es

[quote name='Not Far From Par' timestamp='1398735015' post='9191649']
I REALLY wanted to like the Rapture DI..
I just couldn't get over the feel.. Felt "clicky" to me? If that makes sense
Hate to say it, but I really like the Callaway much better..
Which is really weird..
Can't argue with the performance tho... The Rapture DI flat out gets on it...
Great club!!
I'd like to hear how it does for ya with harder FW's
[/quote]

I disagree completely. I never coiuld get used to the Cally proto, but the Rapture was a beast from the minute I picked it up. My experience of the feel is also the opposite - I felt the Cally with the PXi shaft was much clankier than the Rapture with the TFC949. Horses for courses, as usual.

I see that Ping has now released a Rapture 3w with 13 degrees of loft and the same TFC949 shaft. Anyone hit that yet?

Titleist 910D2 Rombax X-type 60-S, A1 setting
Titleist 910F2 15, Rombax X-type 70-S, D1 setting
Titleist 910H 19, Rombax 8D07 S, D1 setting
Ping S56, KBS Tour 120S, 3-W
Ping Tour S 52/12, KBS Tour 120S
Ping Tour S 58 TS, KBS Tour 120S
Scotty Newport Fastback custom shop, 34", jumbo Scotty grip
Titleist Player 4 bag

I'm still waiting for mine to come in. I ordered it 2 weeks ago from Golfsmith (had some gift cards) with black dot and xstiff stock shaft and the dang thing still hasn't shipped yet. Not really sure what the hold up is. For those of you that had ordered the club, how long did yours take to arrive?

Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
Titleist TS3 15 w/ Tensei Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist 915HD 20.5 w/ Aldila Tour Blue 95X
Titleist T100 4-P w/ TI X100
Vokey SM7 52.08, 56.10, 60.04 w/ TI S400
Scotty Cameron Select Squareback

[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1398779626' post='9194487']
Just curious how you guys have worked this club into your bag? i.e. between 5 wood and 3/4 hybrid? remove 3 hybrid completely?
[/quote]

I plan on switching back and forth between the rapture and my 3 hybrid depending on the course and wind conditions. The plan is to use the rapture off the tee for tight courses and on windy days. I am pretty accurate with the 3 hybrid off the tee when I use it, but it can go to high for me sometimes and I just prefer that low stinger shot off the tee when I'm on a tight hole.

[quote name='sir shanks a lot' timestamp='1398782360' post='9194825']
Just curious how you guys have worked this club into your bag? i.e. between 5 wood and 3/4 hybrid? remove 3 hybrid completely?
[/quote]

I plan on switching back and forth between the rapture and my 3 hybrid depending on the course and wind conditions. The plan is to use the rapture off the tee for tight courses and on windy days. I am pretty accurate with the 3 hybrid off the tee when I use it, but it can go to high for me sometimes and I just prefer that low stinger shot off the tee when I'm on a tight hole.
[/quote]

Thanks for the insight Sir Shanks A Lot.

I love my G10 15* hybrid but not so much the G10 21* hybrid.

hmmmm.......*must resist*

[quote name='Jon H' timestamp='1398779589' post='9194485']
There are a few threads on the Rapture 3w. Great club, not for everyone though.
[/quote]

Yes, I found them. I realized as soon as I posted the question.

[/quote]

I put it in as a replacement for an 18* 5-wood. For a while I was platooning the two, but I always missed hte Rapture when it wasn't in the bag, and never missed the 5w when I was carrying the Rapture, so the decision made itself.

Titleist Player 4 bag

[/quote]

It took the 3/4 wood out of my bag. Also took out blow up holes on the course.

I like it off the turf as much or more than the tee. In fact, I barely tee it up on the box.

Β 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TXΒ 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400Β 

Β 

Β 

I ordered mine 7 weeks ago and still don't have it. I called GS, they called Ping and they are on back order. Estimated ship date is now May 1st. Doesn't do me a lick of good for my Myrtle trip that I leave in the morning for. The whole reason I ordered the damn thing. Not happy to say the least, especially when I was told less than 2 week delivery.

BTW, the exact same specs you ordered.

[quote name='sir shanks a lot' timestamp='1398781403' post='9194713']
I'm still waiting for mine to come in. I ordered it 2 weeks ago from Golfsmith (had some gift cards) with black dot and xstiff stock shaft and the dang thing still hasn't shipped yet. Not really sure what the hold up is. For those of you that had ordered the club, how long did yours take to arrive?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Conditions dictate for me. Windy and/or dry conditions and I'll use it, wet and I'll put in the 5w.

Callaway GBB Epic 9*, Aldila Rogue
Ping i25 3w, G400 3hy
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
Vokey 50* SM7 F, 56* SM7 S, 61* SM5 Raw M
Newport 2 Select

[size=4][quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1398779626' post='9194487'][/size]
[/quote]

[size=4]Between my 3W and 4 iron. Surprisingly it's way closer to the 3 wood than I expected, almost the same. I could use a 3 iron in there. I could consider pulling the 3 wood but it'd be weird, I've always had one in there. Last year I was carrying a 5 wood instead of this, and a 3H instead of the 4I. Much better results this year so far.[/size]

[/quote]

GS took less than a week to get it here. They must be on back order. I bought the stiff at the local store, then ordered the X-stiff to test it. I'm keeping the X, the S is sitting here waiting for my lazy behind to sell it. If anyone with a 7 week wait is interested .. it's stock, black dot, stiff, NDMC yellow. I should start selling all of this stuff .. maybe this week.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]Β°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]Β° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]Β° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]Β°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]Β°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]Β° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]

Off of the turf this thing was amazing. Way easier than an iron or hybrid. I found the mass of it prevented it from turning and it he sole helped it glide. I find hybrids balloon on me. Before this I played a 4 hybrid, 5 wood and 3 wedges. I think I may drop both the hybrid and the 5 wood and add another wedge. So top end of bag will be 4 iron, driving iron, 3 wood and driver. I have not tried to hit the DI out of the rough. Anyone have any experience with this. I figure if I'm 220-240 out and in huge rough, I should be laying up to short of the green anyway. Playing old man golf. (Smart golf)...

Callaway Rouge LS

CobraLTDx 3 wood

Ping 425 4 hybrid

Ping iCrossover 18*

Mizuno 923 Forged 5-pw

SM9 50/56/60

Ping Kushin4

[quote name='AtlBomber' timestamp='1398789530' post='9195821']
I ordered mine 7 weeks ago and still don't have it. I called GS, they called Ping and they are on back order. Estimated ship date is now May 1st. Doesn't do me a lick of good for my Myrtle trip that I leave in the morning for. The whole reason I ordered the damn thing. Not happy to say the least, especially when I was told less than 2 week delivery.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Just called GS and they checked with Ping and apparently the new estimated ship date is May 8th....SMH

[quote name='sir shanks a lot' timestamp='1398964194' post='9211871']
[quote name='AtlBomber' timestamp='1398789530' post='9195821']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Just called GS and they checked with Ping and apparently the new estimated ship date is May 8th....SMH
[/quote]

Worth the wait.

Β 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TXΒ 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400Β 

Β 

Β 

It's certainly more FUN to hit than any hybrid I've used. If you're trying to shoot a good score it may or may not be the wisest choice. But if you can't score anyway (like me) and just want to have fun hitting the ball hard, this thing is a blast. I always shoot 90, no matter what.... :mellow:

[quote name='JimNewton' timestamp='1398984948' post='9214087']
If you're trying to shoot a good score it may or may not be the wisest choice.
[/quote]

Agree to disagree......

Titleist Player 4 bag

agreed ... I said [b]may or[/b] may not ... which is flip flopping. Some may get along better with a more versatile hybrid .. some may not :)

I hit one at a demo day back in March and ordered it on the spot. I have the stock tfc in stiff in my mine. I was very pleased with how low I hit it. I normally hit the ball high and this had a good penetrating flight. I can hit it real low if I have to for punch shots and still hit it a good distance.

Mine replaced a 19* Titleist hybrid. I hit the hybrid 235-240 and I hit this 240-245ish. I like the natural ball flight but can get it high if I have to. Love this thing. I keep saying I dont know how it isnt illegal. Its bionic for me.

18* only for now. I asked my Ping rep if there were any plans for higher loft versions for tour or retail and he said nothing for now. I can tell when he holds back and could read anything.

I was looking to take out the hideous looking i25 3 iron out of my bag. The offset was enough to have a family picnic.

This Rapture driving iron was a pleasant surprise. I moved the loft up to get closer to the 4 iron of the i25's. Flight of the DI is low and penetrating. Easy to hit for me and long as hell. Love to play this.

Another unintended use is the back side of the DI. Perfect for a rescue left handed shot if you were up against a tree and only allows you to hit it left handed.

I am hopeful they will make these in more lofts. I would love to kick out the 4 iron on the [s]g25[/s] opps, I meant i25's.