2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Newbie needs help with a driver shaft!!

Need some expert advice on possibly reshafting my driver. A little bit about me. I'll be 60 yrs old in a few months with a SS around 90 - 95 and just established an official handicap for the first time in about 20 yrs. Only have the minimum 5 rounds in so far this season & HCP is at 19.3. I have been using the 07 TM Burner 10.5* with the fujikura 50g stiff flex stock shaft at 46 in, for the past 5 yrs . I like the driver but struggle with consistency.

After reading a ton of topics on shorter Drivers Iengths on this site I recently bought another 07 Burner 10.5* with reg flex 50g fujikura shaft cut down to 44.5 inches. This is the driver that I've been using this year and am loving it. Dispersion is much better without a loss of distance. So far been averaging 241 total yds (GPS) about 12 drives measured. I believe with my swing speed, age and ability, this is about as good as it can get for me.

Yesterday I played 9 holes and decided to stop in at a new Golf ETC that just opened about a week ago to check it out. I was curious as to what my numbers would be on the launch monitor so I hit a few and came up with these avgs after about 3 drives.

Club head Spd 86

Ball Speed 128

Smash F 1.48

Launch angle 18.5Deg

Spin 2353

Total yds 220

What I would like to do is possibly reshaft the driver with the 46 in shaft to make it useable (for me) with one about 44.5 without spending $200 for a shaft.

Do you think it is worth reshafting?

What shaft would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Barney Boom' timestamp='1399745525' post='9269181']
Other than your high launch number , the remaining numbers are really impressive , well done.
I've got 2 suggestions , 1- try to pick up a 9.5 head , they should be very inexpensive.
2- you've gotta get hold of a lower launching liteweight shaft. Aldila NV 55 comes to mind as a great
value option
[/quote]
I'll take a look at both of these options.

Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

[quote name='XSofBogeys' timestamp='1399734958' post='9268561']
What I would like to do is possibly reshaft the driver with the 46 in shaft to make it useable (for me) with one about 44.5 without spending $200 for a shaft.
[/quote]

Sorry just want to make sure I understand the request. So you have two drivers that are exactly the same (same head, same shaft) except for the length? And you really like the shorter one?

If that's the case and you just want to make the longer one "usable", the simple answer would be to cut it down to match the length of the shorter one. You may want have the SW of the shorter one checked to make sure the two match up after cutting down but that's about it.

Is there some other reason you're considering a shaft change or something more specific about what you want to change or gain from the shaft change over what you're getting with the one that was already cut down? Do you want to just experiment with different shafts? Find an inexpensive one that's similar or even try something that might feel different?

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1399799329' post='9272245']
[quote name='XSofBogeys' timestamp='1399734958' post='9268561']
[/quote]

Sorry just want to make sure I understand the request. So you have two drivers that are exactly the same (same head, same shaft) except for the length? And you really like the shorter one?

If that's the case and you just want to make the longer one "usable", the simple answer would be to cut it down to match the length of the shorter one. You may want have the SW of the shorter one checked to make sure the two match up after cutting down but that's about it.

Is there some other reason you're considering a shaft change or something more specific about what you want to change or gain from the shaft change over what you're getting with the one that was already cut down? Do you want to just experiment with different shafts? Find an inexpensive one that's similar or even try something that might feel different?
[/quote]
Yes, both drivers the same except the longer shaft is stiff flex. I thought about just cutting down the longer one but with my SS I thought I might benefit with a Reg Flex. Definitely like the shorter driver. The few times I've been out this year I haven't hit the longer driver yet.
I would like to experiment with a new shaft if I felt there would be a benefit to it over just cutting it down. As Barney stated I might benefit from a lower launching shaft.

Last fall I went thru a driver fitting. I hit about 4 different drivers and the fitter told me I wouldn't really benefit from a new driver as I wasn't hitting them any better than my old driver. Nice way of telling me I pretty much suck! lol
Then with this past brutally long winter I ran across Golf WRX and read about every topic on shorter driver lengths. Then I found the same driver I was hitting online already cut down to 44 1/2 inches so I bought it at a great price.

There is obviously an abundance of knowledge here on this site about the game of golf and equipment, therefore the request for help.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

[quote name='XSofBogeys' timestamp='1399816365' post='9272879']
I would like to experiment with a new shaft if I felt there would be a benefit to it over just cutting it down. As Barney stated I might benefit from a lower launching shaft.
[/quote]

OK, nothing wrong with wanting to experiment. Not sure I'd expect a big difference in launch for you from a shaft change but you never know. More often than not, if you really need to lower the launch, trying a head with a lower loft will be much more effective than changing shafts.

Some fairly inexpensive shafts to try in the same weight range might be the aldila nv 55, the previously mentioned whiteboard. The previously mentioned prolaunch red is a possibility but means going a little heavier.

Last fall I went thru a driver fitting. I hit about 4 different drivers and the fitter told me I wouldn't really benefit from a new driver as I wasn't hitting them any better than my old driver. Nice way of telling me I pretty much suck! lol
[/quote]

Actually it's more often the opposite. If you get good contact with a club (don't need any additional forgiveness), and the launch conditions are already close to optimal for your given club head speed, then the newer stuff's not going to give you any more distance or increase in accuracy.

[quote name='golf_prn_qd' timestamp='1399889019' post='9277641']
Grafalloy prolaunch red also a low launching value shaft that comes to mind too.
[/quote]

Ok I checked these out this morning. Looks like I could get a reg flex at 62 grams at a great price. This is about 12 grams heavier than my current shaft. I'm not sure what effect this might have on my SS.

Thanks for your help!

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1399892720' post='9277741']
[/quote]

OK, nothing wrong with wanting to experiment. Not sure I'd expect a big difference in launch for you from a shaft change but you never know. More often than not, if you really need to lower the launch, trying a head with a lower loft will be much more effective than changing shafts.

Some fairly inexpensive shafts to try in the same weight range might be the aldila nv 55, the previously mentioned whiteboard. The previously mentioned prolaunch red is a possibility but means going a little heavier.

[/quote]

Actually it's more often the opposite. If you get good contact with a club (don't need any additional forgiveness), and the launch conditions are already close to optimal for your given club head speed, then the newer stuff's not going to give you any more distance or increase in accuracy.
[/quote]

I would agree that mostly the opposite is true in a driver fitting. With me it's just more difficult for me to hit indoors on a launch monitor vs the open range.

I think I'm going to go with a new shaft. I'm leaning towards the Aldila NV. I have an appt with a club builder this afternoon. He said he has a large variety of shafts to choose from. He also said that if I don't like the shaft we select he will replace it at no additional charge until we find the best shaft for me. Definitely can't beat a deal like that.

Thanks alot for your help Stuart I really appreciate it.

[quote name='XSofBogeys' timestamp='1399910084' post='9279407']
I have an appt with a club builder this afternoon. He said he has a large variety of shafts to choose from. He also said that if I don't like the shaft we select he will replace it at no additional charge until we find the best shaft for me. Definitely can't beat a deal like that.
[/quote]

No you can't. That's great you have some one like that. BTW, you're not along about hitting/demo'ing inside.

Good luck. Don't hesitate to come back and let us know how it went.

Also - I forgot to mention - just in case it didn't occur to you - I won't say it's impossible but don't expect a different shaft to replace the previous fix of going shorter. I'd stick with the length that you know works and not try to go back to the longer length even with a different shaft.

• 1 month later...

I agree with keeping a shaft length too. And I would add one small but really critical thing, that being no one discussing torque. It can make an amazing difference in a shaft, and its worth knowing what torque works for you. And dont let them tell you its feel. Its a measure of twist in the shaft and if its too high or low for you, the face wont be consistently aligned through impact.