Does practicing @ home by hitting into a net, actually hep you get better?

I have a neighbor who hits into a large net @ home all the time and I've played w/ him before and he shoots in the mid 90s.

I've been wondering if hitting into a net @ home can help you if you din't know what you're doing wrong?

He loves hitting into the net when he can't get to the range which is great, I'm glad he's enjoying golf because that's really what it's all about.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can't hurt. All someone needs is a few (limit 2) golf instruction books and learning how to swing the club can be realized. You'll know when you hit it stinky and when you hit it flush. But, direction is another issue.

Using two instruction books, I am self-taught. One by Hogan, the other by Faldo. However, I spent inordinate amounts of time on a range in SOCA.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1401222921' post='9376099']
It can't hurt. All someone needs is a few (limit 2) golf instruction books and learning how to swing the club can be realized. You'll know when you hit it stinky and when you hit it flush. But, direction is another issue.

Using two instruction books, I am self-taught. One by Hogan, the other by Faldo. However, I spent inordinate amounts of time on a range in SOCA.
[/quote]

Direction was my main question. But you're right, obviously it can't hurt.

If you type in the words mat or net in the search block, you will find a number of posts about this which may help. For the record, I am a fan of it with provisos:

A) Do it with focus and purpose -- standing in the garage banging on a mat can engrain bad habits rather than correct them.
B) Per the earlier threads, the mat has to be of higher quality and come as close as possible to simulating real turf -- good ones are expensive.
C) Practicing on a mat is a great way to achieve the goal of shallower angle of attack... not so good for practicing swings intended to dig a ball out of deep rough (where a steeper A of A is helpful).
D) Using a mirror, a video camera, and other means of actually achieving (A) above is very helpful
E) BE CAREFUL... give yourself plenty of room. Your follow through can land on the overhead door structure and damage your club. The club develops enough static electricity to short out the door opener remote if it touches that little wire hanging down. While learning, you could fly balls off the edge of the net structure and send one flying through heaven knows what.

I point this out because your neighbor is someone I do NOT know, and have NO clue as to what he does or doesn't do in his garage. But my guess is if he were doing so following A through E above... he will be breaking 90 soon. If not, he may be treading water for a while.

[attachment=2244897:reversable footing 001.JPG][attachment=2244899:diamond.png I am a net junkie, but with a purpose as I have outlined in other threads. I have optimized the use of my back yard by an adequate sized net supported by a PVC frame 7 x 8 with 18 inch angled overhang. I have set up a diamond shaped range using four alignment rods and practice shaping shots around them. This has helped me immensely and a lot less boring than just beating balls. My pitching distance is 45 feet. It has helped me I feel as I have gone from a 23 index down to a 16 mostly within the past six months. I get limited feed back on ball flight, but enough to see what is happening.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

Like any practice "regime," if it's done with purpose, goals and a plan, yes one can improve. As Pepper brought up, regarding direction, you won't get the flight and ability to see the final outcome of your shot as you would at a range, though I see that you're a 15 cap, so you know what a "flushed" shot feels like, regardless of the club.

What I prefer even to the net, which I have in the back yard, are 1/4, 1/2 & 3/4 swings in front of a mirror without a ball to work on my positions and by #1, not doing it full speed, I can concentrate on the true "feeling" of where my hands, arms, shoulders, etc, should be, and this is impossible to "feel" when swing full speed and also when inserting a ball into the sequence, and #2, this is the best, most efficient way for ME to ingrain my swing into my muscle memory, so when I'm on a course, I have zero mechanical thoughts and I focus totally on visualizing my swing as a whole, the shot/putt and the outcome.

This was taught to my by my teacher back when I was 12-13yo and I've done it ever since.

Also, if possible, or whenever possible, hit off of grass versus a mat.

Well, the best to ya and I hope that you have a great season :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1401223520' post='9376189']
If you type in the words mat or net in the search block, you will find a number of posts about this which may help. For the record, I am a fan of it with provisos:

A) Do it with focus and purpose -- standing in the garage banging on a mat can engrain bad habits rather than correct them.
B) Per the earlier threads, the mat has to be of higher quality and come as close as possible to simulating real turf -- good ones are expensive.
C) Practicing on a mat is a great way to achieve the goal of shallower angle of attack... not so good for practicing swings intended to dig a ball out of deep rough (where a steeper A of A is helpful).
D) Using a mirror, a video camera, and other means of actually achieving (A) above is very helpful
E) BE CAREFUL... give yourself plenty of room. Your follow through can land on the overhead door structure and damage your club. The club develops enough static electricity to short out the door opener remote if it touches that little wire hanging down. While learning, you could fly balls off the edge of the net structure and send one flying through heaven knows what.

I point this out because your neighbor is someone I do NOT know, and have NO clue as to what he does or doesn't do in his garage. But my guess is if he were doing so following A through E above... he will be breaking 90 soon. If not, he may be treading water for a while.
[/quote]THIS is good stuff!!

I cannot emphasize how important Point "A" is to improving. Most peeps just hit aimlessly, wherever they are hitting. And that reminds me-

ALWAYS TAKE AIM AT A TARGET- ALWAYS!(When I hit into a net, and mine is similar to the one pictured above, I have different colored tape "targets" on the net that I aim at, depending on the loft of the club)

Well Played :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
RIchard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I really enjoy hitting in my net at home. I'm waiting for a tripod to show up for my camera. I feel like it is easier to work on new things without worrying about ball flight. Sometimes doing a new move correctly doesn't produce the desired ball flight when you are first working on them...for me anyway. I have a lot of work to do.

2fbfd121e20b55bd48f3620fe6cba123_zps94ace286.jpg

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1401226181' post='9376523']
Thank you Richard. [i] I just happen to be the guy who shorted out his door opener, that's all![/i]
[/quote]

Oh yes, no matter how careful you are, weird things can happen. I have somehow hit the frame and ball would virtually disappear only in what seemed like several seconds to come falling out of the sky and drop behind me, on the roof, or ???

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

I really enjoy hitting in my net at home. I'm waiting for a tripod to show up for my camera. I feel like it is easier to work on new things without worrying about ball flight. Sometimes doing a new move correctly doesn't produce the desired ball flight when you are first working on them...for me anyway. I have a lot of work to do.

2fbfd121e20b55bd48f3620fe6cba123_zps94ace286.jpg

I hope you don't hit with the dog there...

My brother practices in his open backyard and his cat will actually chase the golf balls.

[quote name='diehllane' timestamp='1401227011' post='9376633']
I hope you don't hit with the dog there...

My brother practices in his open backyard and his cat will actually chase the golf balls.
[/quote]

I have nets for the sides that I need to add to keep the dog away, but no, I don't hit with him standing there. He drops his tennis ball and wants me to hit it into the yard for him.

I would think it's especially useful if you film the practice sessions (maybe you're looking to see if a new feel got you to a certain position, etc).

Without filming it and reviewing your position (feel is not always real) then not getting to see the ball flight would seem like a waste of time (probably moreso for mid to high handicappers).

Just my opinion - it's worth noting I don't own one but if I ever did I would film every practice sessions DTL and FO

[quote name='DeadPoets' timestamp='1401229219' post='9376955']
I would think it's especially useful if you film the practice sessions (maybe you're looking to see if a new feel got you to a certain position, etc).

Without filming it and reviewing your position (feel is not always real) then not getting to see the ball flight would seem like a waste of time (probably moreso for mid to high handicappers).

Just my opinion - it's worth noting I don't own one but if I ever did I would film every practice sessions DTL and FO
[/quote]

Agreed. The door is fairly wide open to things like face tape, setting up empty sleeve boxes as little "gates" to check path... there is a lot of good that can come from it. The process (IMO) also has to include getting to the course or range and ultimately "learning from the learning"... if that makes any sense. So there is an iterative process whereby mat and/or net work is "field tested" and back to the "lab" and back again. Even the sound and feel of the club on the mat surface is educational. Placing a dry-erase line on the back of the ball and checking where it impacted the clubface....placing tees one their sides behind the ball a few inches to check A of A... The golfer's imagination and focus on purposeful practice is huge.... and after the initial investment, free.

One shortcoming of most mats is that you can hit the ball fat, with the club sliding into the ball, disguising the fact that you've released early/flipped/blah blah blah. I would suggest putting a lie board or something similar behind your ball so that if you release early, your club will hit the board and give you the clue that on grass that shot would be fat. Here is what it would look like (you can position the board closer to the ball if you want to). Note the arrow on the lie board is pointed AWAY from the target in case the picture was confusing:

C526A256-9682-44E3-B5D3-D018F308B695_zpsptbqyyqd.jpg

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

I use a towel as well. I think I might try the lie board.

I just bought a new place with a big backyard, so I might have to setup a net to hit balls into!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='DeadPoets' timestamp='1401229219' post='9376955']

[/quote]Good point, and that's why I use a mirror for all of my body/club "position" work, because, and I really don't believe that cap or competency level comes into play, cuz as you said, many times, "feel is not real," and I know that their are certain mental pictures/visions that I use that not only do my arms/elbows not do what I'm picturing, if they were, I would hit a wicked hook.

When I work with my net, I'm aiming at tape, and I don't work on nor worry about body/club positions when I'm working with the net, just like I don't on the course. I'm aiming at a target.

Others may use a net in different ways, however I get good work on my trajectory and direction. I do occasionally, if I was not striking the ball as I liked, take a FO & DTL video and send it to me teacher for evaluation. Otherwise, I don't go near a video, lol.

Also, I hit off grass as often as I can, both at home and on a practice mat. Part is the false sense of security a mat can give in "masking" a deficient swing, though just as important to me, as I play Mizzy 68s and either SCOR or Mizzy wedges, well, the amount of balls that I hit, I'd tear em up on a mat, Nomatter how soft.

Have a nice evening,

My Best,
Richard

After thinking about this topic for several days, I have come to the conclusion that if you are consistently working on the right things, then there is no way that hitting off a mat into a net cannot benefit you in some way.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

[quote name='Steve Ryan' timestamp='1401241085' post='9378481']
After thinking about this topic for several days, I have come to the conclusion that if you are consistently working on the right things, then there is no way that hitting off a mat into a net cannot benefit you in some way.
[/quote]

A CONVERT is born! This must be what it feels like when a purveyor of his brand swing style snatches up another minion! This is great! Ol' Steve will be finding ways to pack his mat and net before going on vacation in no time. In all seriousness, IF you go about it as discussed by all the posters... you will love it. I STILL feel like I just got a hole in one.... oh wait....I've never had a hole in one.... well then its back to the mat. Later, gang!

Hitting into nets works for some, is pointless for others, and harmful for some. Hitting into a net is contrary to what I do to practice, which is ball flight and divot pattern (hitting into nets usually means hitting off matts. For those concerned with engraining certain swing positions, hitting into a net is very useful. Maybe even more useful than going to the course and prematurely implementing swing changes.

At one point, I hit so many balls into a net off a matt one winter that I got stress fractures in my wrist. That experience probably turned me off the concept. Lesson: Matts aren't designed for diggers.

Side note: golfers are hilarious. We get so involved with our swings and games that we don't notice broken bones, heart attacks, etc.. Finishing the round or engraining swing changes is the more important thing.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Tbh I found it kinda useless. Clearly I had swing faults that I simply ingrained more.

BUT by using a mirror I was able to remove 3 or 4 swing faults including a bad bad sway off the ball.

Things are a bit better these days. I would get one of the devices that help monitor your swing... one of the smarphone ones or something. So that you don't keep ingraining faults.

If someone comes up with something to hook to an xbox, I would set up a station at home again.

[quote name='Burt Chance' timestamp='1401222649' post='9376063']

I've been wondering if hitting into a net @ home can help you if you din't know what you're doing wrong?

[/quote]

No less and no more than hitting at the range or on course will help "if you din't know what you're doing wrong". That is; not that much.

as others have pointed out, as long as your practicing and honing a correct swing, it should help you get better. BUT, I have a friend who setup a net in his garage, picked up an opti shot and hit thousands of balls this winter. This spring, he's been struggling, as he's engrained a bad swing that he's working hard to undo.

What's the saying? Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect. Something like that.

913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
915F 18*
913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Vokey SM6 52*
Vokey SM4 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura (2004)

[quote name='Burt Chance' timestamp='1401223067' post='9376113']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1401222921' post='9376099']

[/quote]

Direction was my main question. But you're right, obviously it can't hurt.
[/quote]

I will not hit into a net, for any reason. But, if I did, I am skilled enough to determine from impact, which 'direction' my ball is going. That's not the case with beginners or hicaps. If going to the range or taking lessons are not possible, a mat and net at home along with a good instructional book are the next best thing.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='Dinosaur' timestamp='1401224711' post='9376329']
[attachment=2244897:reversable footing 001.JPG][attachment=2244899:diamond.png I am a net junkie, but with a purpose as I have outlined in other threads. I have optimized the use of my back yard by an adequate sized net supported by a PVC frame 7 x 8 with 18 inch angled overhang. I have set up a diamond shaped range using four alignment rods and practice shaping shots around them. This has helped me immensely and a lot less boring than just beating balls. My pitching distance is 45 feet. It has helped me I feel as I have gone from a 23 index down to a 16 mostly within the past six months. I get limited feed back on ball flight, but enough to see what is happening.
[/quote]

:lol: how about putting in some grass. Your backyard looks golf practice poor.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1401289909' post='9381821']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That's pretty obvious. I've made some effort, but grass refuses to cooperate and I can't afford a renovation project right now.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

[quote name='Dinosaur' timestamp='1401296056' post='9382537']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1401289909' post='9381821']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That's pretty obvious. I've made some effort, but grass refuses to cooperate and I can't afford a renovation project right now.
[/quote]

:) Grass refuses to cooperate???? :lol: Didn't know it was that hard to grow. All I needed was seed, fertilizer, rent of rototiller and water. I did a whole bkyd for under $100. Tell the truth. Neither thumb is green?

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX