Need help, Torrey North or South

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='poppyhillsguy' timestamp='1404344784' post='9626577']
I'm going to be in San Diego on July 23. I wouldn't make it to the golf course until 10am, so walking on as a single may not work for me.

Is it impossible to get a tee time calling in as a single 7 days in advance? Are they more than happy to book singles with pairings or is it walk-up only?
[/quote]

If you try to walk on as a single at 10am on a wednesday (7/23) you will most likely have no problem getting out. Might have to wait an hour or two, but you should have no problem getting out.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JWBAMA23' timestamp='1406040038' post='9757931']
How is the Crossings at Carlsbad? Any other courses recommended in Temecula?
[/quote]

skip the crossing... too many wonky silly holes.
I travel out to SD a couple of times a year. My favorite courses in order are as follows
1 Aviara
2 Aviara
3 Aviara
(its the whole package the course is challenging and really pretty with all the flowers. the service is second to none... the marshal will even be handing out tootsie pops through out the day)
4 maderas
5 torrey south
6 journey

I used to like La Costa but the last few times I've been out there i wasnt impressed with anything except the bar staff (who ever does the hiring there does a great job)

[quote name='JWBAMA23' timestamp='1406264281' post='9780889']
So if any of you San Diego residents may want to play with a few southern guys from north fl in August , we make arrangements to pay for your golf. I called the hotline to book today and couldn't get through. Let me know, it's me (33) dad (58) and the wives.
[/quote]

You should be able to book way outside your trip for a fee.....keep trying you'll get thru.

Play the south! Don't even waste your time with the North. The north is boring after 6/7 holes, I have played it once, and I have a residence card and I won't go back. South is where it is at. And the south isn't wildly insanely difficult, especially from the white tees. You can spray it pretty good there. I would not suggest a cart, but it is a difficult walk.

I'm not sure I'd say "Aviara is the most visually stunning course in SoCal." That's a bit of an oversell. Good conditions, perhaps the best. I guess I'm partial to courses that hang on the cliff over the ocean and Torrey, Pelican Hill, Trump can all offer those views. Heck even Los Verdes in LA County, for $40 has more than a 180° view from Newport to Malibu and all of Catalina Island. Out of towners are used to seeing lush creen courses manicured well. Ocean views and mountain vistas are what is unique I think.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='JWBAMA23' timestamp='1403032982' post='9516971']
We will be out in Ca in August and I have never played either course. From what I see online Torrey South is quite a bit more expensive but seems like the North course has better views of the ocean and stuff.

One round which do you choose?
[/quote]The South is a far superior test of golf and the views are just as good as the North.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5 Fuji Ventus Black 6S
Callaway Epic SubZero 16.5 Fuji Ventus 7S
PING i500 3 iron UST Recoil 95 F4
PING i500 5 iron Steelfiber i95S
TaylorMade 790 irons 6-PW
Vokey SM8 Raw 50F 54S 59K 62M
Scotty Cameron Timeless CS

Played the south today for the first time. The back tees were not back far enough in my opinion. They must throw them up to make pace of play better. The layout was awesome but for the green fees it could have been in better shape. Granted it is a public course that gets played a ton. It really just wasn't as tough as I thought it would be. Checking out Maderas tomorrow then Aviera Tuesday!

In my post I mentioned ocean views...yes Aviara has none, but really those views are a dime a dozen here in SoCal. Whether you play Torrey, Pelican, Monarch Beach, Los V, Sandpiper....yadda yadda..oh look, giant ocean...it's beautiful...yes of course.
BUT, Aviara is stunning in that every hole is unique, covered in flowers, great vegetation, ponds, lakes, waterfalls and riverlets. That's what I mean by visually stunning...you won't find anywhere else like it....maybe anywhere!?
As for the North, boring? What are you talking about? Is got great views and has plenty of cool and difficult holes. The greens have tons of slope in them and overall it makes for a good round. Maybe not as difficult or storied as the south, but its a nice track---especially for the price.

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1406764418' post='9820537']
Play the south! Don't even waste your time with the North. The north is boring after 6/7 holes, I have played it once, and I have a residence card and I won't go back. South is where it is at. And the south isn't wildly insanely difficult, especially from the white tees. You can spray it pretty good there. I would not suggest a cart, but it is a difficult walk.

I'm not sure I'd say "Aviara is the most visually stunning course in SoCal." That's a bit of an oversell. Good conditions, perhaps the best. I guess I'm partial to courses that hang on the cliff over the ocean and Torrey, Pelican Hill, Trump can all offer those views. Heck even Los Verdes in LA County, for $40 has more than a 180° view from Newport to Malibu and all of Catalina Island. Out of towners are used to seeing lush creen courses manicured well. Ocean views and mountain vistas are what is unique I think.
[/quote][quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1406764418' post='9820537']

[/quote]

[quote name='cmk3n3' timestamp='1407126257' post='9850879']
Played the south today for the first time. The back tees were not back far enough in my opinion. They must throw them up to make pace of play better. The layout was awesome but for the green fees it could have been in better shape. Granted it is a public course that gets played a ton. It really just wasn't as tough as I thought it would be. Checking out Maderas tomorrow then Aviera Tuesday!
[/quote]Those were the blue tees, not the back tees. You have to ask permission to play the blacks. The blues are 7,000 yards at 75.3/137 rating and slope and they were not tough enough for you? I played the South last Monday and every tee was at or very near the blue markers, not enough to make a real difference.

How much did you shoot under par? Show us your scorecard.

[quote name='JWBAMA23' timestamp='1406264281' post='9780889']
So if any of you San Diego residents may want to play with a few southern guys from north fl in August , we make arrangements to pay for your golf. I called the hotline to book today and couldn't get through. Let me know, it's me (33) dad (58) and the wives.
[/quote]

Did anyone get you covered for this? What dates and times are you thinking? My August calendar is pretty packed but depending on dates and times I might be able to take care of this for you guys.