2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Seung Yul Noh & Henley testing new MMProto Nike irons- Updated: Nike MMProto sale talk, Page 15

@nikegolf

16 years in the making. #TheresAlwaysBetter 08/18/14

gS75UlE.jpg

Nike sure is spending a lot of time promoting a club that a certain poster on here says isn't coming. What a waste!

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='FullOfBrushMan' timestamp='1408296793' post='9951795']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1408291800' post='9951449']
[quote name='bushy007' timestamp='1408226296' post='9948395']
This thread proves how popular Nike are becoming, especially if they keep knocking out sexy stuff like this. Haters gonna hate, players gonna play.

Can't wait for the 18th.
[/quote]
[quote name='Flagrant' timestamp='1408247117' post='9949901']
If they drop a line of wedges that are anything like the MM Proto irons, They will be drop dead sexy! And yes purchased!
[/quote]

Nike has kind of stolen the thunder from the "Big 2" as of late with the introduction of the MMProtos and this mysterious press release come tomorrow. Could this finally be the start of them trying to bump one of the big boys off the mountain? I have never seen this much anticipation on here for a NikeGolf release...
[/quote]
Nike has to step it up in their Woods, Wedges, and Putters. They aren't even close to PING as far as overall woods goes. Wedges, Vokey. Putters ... Release the damn 006 because the putter line has been awful so far. Putters are a personal thing.

Irons? Yeah. They can easily be the best. For 2013, there hasn't been a better iron than the Covert Forged. Everyone loves the shape of their blades in general. And the MMProtos got so much hype it's unreal. Throw in Rory winning left and right and you have the perfect opportunity for whatever comes Monday.

I'd say 3-4 more years and Nike [i]should[/i] be at the top.
[/quote]
I agree the Nike could do a little more with their woods. They arent for everyone. But I love my CT 1.0 though. The wedges on the other hand are phenomenal. I have a pile of vokeys in the garage, kicked out by VR Forged. Seriously good wedges. Maybe they could add more grind options, but I love them as is.

GBB 816 DBD
TM M2 Tour 16.5*
TM UDI HZDRUS 6.5
716 CB 2i/3i - PX6.5
Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW - PX6.5
Nike VR Forged 52*/58*
SC Newport 2 Notchback DB

This thread proves how popular Nike are becoming, especially if they keep knocking out sexy stuff like this. Haters gonna hate, players gonna play.

Can't wait for the 18th.
[/quote]
If they drop a line of wedges that are anything like the MM Proto irons, They will be drop dead sexy! And yes purchased!
[/quote]

Nike has kind of stolen the thunder from the "Big 2" as of late with the introduction of the MMProtos and this mysterious press release come tomorrow. Could this finally be the start of them trying to bump one of the big boys off the mountain? I have never seen this much anticipation on here for a NikeGolf release...
[/quote]
Nike has to step it up in their Woods, Wedges, and Putters. They aren't even close to PING as far as overall woods goes. Wedges, Vokey. Putters ... Release the damn 006 because the putter line has been awful so far. Putters are a personal thing.

Irons? Yeah. They can easily be the best. For 2013, there hasn't been a better iron than the Covert Forged. Everyone loves the shape of their blades in general. And the MMProtos got so much hype it's unreal. Throw in Rory winning left and right and you have the perfect opportunity for whatever comes Monday.

[/quote]

Need to improve wedges? I don't think anyone makes a better wedge. Vokey has more options, but better is an opinion. I have a set of vokeys and a set of vr forged and mostly use the Nike's because I like them better.

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

Can't wait for the 18th.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with you on Nike woods, I have never really cared for the Covert line at all. Their wedges and putters are just as good if not better than anything else out there IMO.

@nikegolf

16 years in the making. #TheresAlwaysBetter 08/18/14

gS75UlE.jpg

Nike sure is spending a lot of time promoting a club that a certain poster on here says isn't coming. What a waste!

I totally agree.

TaylorMade SLDR 430 Driver, 10°, MRC Diamana B-Series 60-X (from TM European Tour Van)
Nike VR Pro LE 3-wood (Tour Issue 1-dot head), 15°, MRC Diamana Kai' li 70-X
TaylorMade Rescue TP 19°, UST Axivcore Tour Blue 80-X
Titleist 670 Forged Blades 3-PW, FM Precision Flighted Rifle 6.5
Vokey Raw 52° FM Precision Flighted Rifle 6.5
Vokey Raw 56° FM Precision Project-X Satin 6.5
Scotty Cameron JAT Prototype (Circle-T) or
Nike Oven "DF" 006 Prototype

The 001 Method is my putter hands down fits my eye better than my Newport2. Especially with the sightline dot. Vr Forged wedges I can't find a wedge to kick it out of my bag. Still play the Pro Ltd 3 wood. I would have to agree I didn't like the Covert woods. Except the 2.0 Driver I love mine

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

Have to go with the others on the wedge comment. Anyone who thinks that Nike wedges don't perform hasn't tried any of the offerings starting with the original VR and forward. The drivers are pretty darn good starting with the covert, the fairways aren't for me as is the putters. The putter are just too hot for my taste. If I thought they hard real work to do on a club it would be on the hybrids.

Of course just like the comments knocking the wedges, this is all just my opinion.

[quote name='7018' timestamp='1408297818' post='9951877']
I agree the Nike could do a little more with their woods. They arent for everyone. But I love my CT 1.0 though. The wedges on the other hand are phenomenal. I have a pile of vokeys in the garage, kicked out by VR Forged. Seriously good wedges. Maybe they could add more grind options, but I love them as is.
[/quote]

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1408300727' post='9952071']
I agree with you on Nike woods, I have never really cared for the Covert line at all. Their wedges and putters are just as good if not better than anything else out there IMO.
[/quote]

Are we talking the recent line of WR Forged wedges, X3X, or the VR Pro series? My argument is the VR Pro were really good. The new wedges are ok. Nothing great.

IMO it would be tough for Nike to improve the performance of the wedges. Vokey has set the bar pretty high with the loft/bounce options, but I don't think they perform any better than my Nikes.

I'm a fan of the Method tech as well. I've had Scottys, Pings, various Yes and Odyssey models and none roll it better for me than my Method.

[quote name='FullOfBrushMan' timestamp='1408301938' post='9952173'][quote name='7018' timestamp='1408297818' post='9951877']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Are we talking the recent line of WR Forged wedges, X3X, or the VR Pro series? My argument is the VR Pro were really good. The new wedges are ok. Nothing great.[/quote]

I'm gaming a 56 and 60 toe sweep right now and have them dialed in. I prefer them to any Vokeys I've hit.

[quote name='FullOfBrushMan' timestamp='1408301938' post='9952173']
[quote name='7018' timestamp='1408297818' post='9951877']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Are we talking the recent line of WR Forged wedges, X3X, or the VR Pro series? My argument is the VR Pro were really good. The new wedges are ok. Nothing great.
[/quote]

I have always liked Nike wedges, even the original ones that came out back in 2001. Different strokes for different folks. Their wedges and irons have always been top notch IMO.

[quote name='FullOfBrushMan' timestamp='1408296793' post='9951795'][quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1408291800' post='9951449']

Can't wait for the 18th.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'd say 3-4 more years and Nike [i]should[/i] be at the top.[/quote]

I think the current 2.0 woods and toe sweep wedges are the best out there. Ping looks too massive at address, forgiving but ugly as sin. Everything else I agree with though.

[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M2 2016 9*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Taylormade M2 2016 15*[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Adams DHy Proto 21*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC FliHi 4i[/font][/i][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC 5-P[/font][/i][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Callaway MackDaddy 4 Milled 54|58[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][i]Custom Scotty Cameron California Coronado Milled Face[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Snell MTB/MTB Black[/i][/size][/font][/center]

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1408302157' post='9952187']IMO it would be tough for Nike to improve the performance of the wedges. Vokey has set the bar pretty high with the loft/bounce options, but I don't think they perform any better than my Nikes.

I'm a fan of the Method tech as well. I've had Scottys, Pings, various Yes and Odyssey models and none roll it better for me than my Method.[/quote]

I think Nike can improve on their custom options. You can customize the heck out of a vokey with all the different grinds. You don't get that with Nike...heck the only option in toe sweep is Satin lol

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

[quote name='cota0429' timestamp='1408304778' post='9952399']
[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1408302157' post='9952187']IMO it would be tough for Nike to improve the performance of the wedges. Vokey has set the bar pretty high with the loft/bounce options, but I don't think they perform any better than my Nikes.

I'm a fan of the Method tech as well. I've had Scottys, Pings, various Yes and Odyssey models and none roll it better for me than my Method.[/quote]

I think Nike can improve on their custom options. You can customize the heck out of a vokey with all the different grinds. You don't get that with Nike...heck the only option in toe sweep is Satin lol
[/quote]
I agree on the custom options part. Vokey offers a great variety of options. Even Hopkins does a great job there. Nike does offer custom stamping in a few colors, but it could be a lot better.

My comment was strictly based on performance. I've hit a bunch of different wedges this year. SM5. RTX. Mack Daddy. Gorge. The Nike line just works better for me.

I was really surprised how good the covert 2 drivers were. The tour, even with the stock shaft, is a low spinning rocket ship that was the equal of my custom Big Bertha Alpha. The standard model is an excellent game improvement club.

Having said that the fairways look horrible. I think it's the irons and hybrids that need improving. Hopefully these irons and the cb (that aren't being released,apparently) fix that.

Wedges are phenomenal. Putters just need the 001 and proto 006 with adjustable weighting and no strange tungsten insert design on the bumpers. Woods, just take the vr ltd with minor tech upgrades and throw on an adjustable hosel. Thanks nike!

Call the new MM irons something simple with minimal badging on all lines and game over on that front.

Sim - Ad TP
M5 15 - Diamana B
Vapor Pro 
SM8 53, 58 
BM DH89SS 

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1408300727' post='9952071'][quote name='FullOfBrushMan' timestamp='1408296793' post='9951795']

Can't wait for the 18th.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with you on Nike woods, I have never really cared for the Covert line at all. Their wedges and putters are just as good if not better than
anything else out there IMO.[/quote]i was a cleveland, callaway, and titleist guy all the way and received an SV wedge for Xmas in 2005ish? I've gone to an all nike bag since and the method 003 kicked out the last non nike club I had ...an odyssey #7

Nike Vapor Flex 440 w Fuji Tour spec 63
Nike Vapor Fly 3w
Nike Vapor Flex 3h
Nike Vapor Pro combo 4-PW w PX LZ 5.5
Nike Engage 52 square and 58DS
Nike Method Origin B2-05
RZN Dot Platinum
[color=#0000ff]IG Gchrist_01[/color]

I was a Mizuno iron guy forever until the Pro Combos and the CFs. Same with Vokeys until the latest VR Forged. Those a damn good wedges. Haven't tried the toe sweeps, but would like to give the 58 a try.

Next set of irons will be the CB MMPROTOs!! Just need them to release a good 006 head and then I'd be all Nike.

It is good to hear some positive thoughts on the Nike Wedges as I have a 54 and 58 Mizuno MPRs which no longer conform, and have seen better days, the new invoke irons look great, I look forward to testing them out, there is part of me which wishes I held off using the $800 I had in gift cards to Golf Galaxy last summer... But didn't see these comming.

[quote name='hokieputter' timestamp='1408382337' post='9957567']
I was a Mizuno iron guy forever until the Pro Combos and the CFs. Same with Vokeys until the latest VR Forged. Those a damn good wedges. Haven't tried the toe sweeps, but would like to give the 58 a try.

Next set of irons will be the CB MMPROTOs!! Just need them to release a good 006 head and then I'd be all Nike.
[/quote]

Do the Nike PCs play anything like Titleist's Forged CBs? Just curious, because if they are and Nike releases MMProto's as a PC or CB I may end up with a CF 2.0/MMProto blended set...and single.

[quote name='Mr_Rogers' timestamp='1408396754' post='9958967']
[quote name='hokieputter' timestamp='1408382337' post='9957567']

[/quote]

Do the Nike PCs play anything like Titleist's Forged CBs? Just curious, because if they are and Nike releases MMProto's as a PC or CB I may end up with a CF 2.0/MMProto blended set...and single.
[/quote]

The PCs are a bit more forgiving, play with a wider sole and more bounce through the set, and feel significantly better, IMO (though the last part is subjective). This coming from a man with a full titleist bag. If I was buying and bagging a set of CBs right now, it would be a tough choice between the Nike PCs and a set of s55s. Hard to go wrong with the PCs if you want feel and forgiveness.

[quote name='BCULAW' timestamp='1408399775' post='9959213']
The PCs are a bit more forgiving, play with a wider sole and more bounce through the set, and feel significantly better, IMO (though the last part is subjective). This coming from a man with a full titleist bag. If I was buying and bagging a set of CBs right now, it would be a tough choice between the Nike PCs and a set of s55s. Hard to go wrong with the PCs if you want feel and forgiveness.
[/quote]

Yeah I totally missed the boat there and went Titleist 704cb to Nike Covert Forged 2.0. I thought the Nike PC would be too much to handle. In all honesty the 3 & 4 iron was pretty much the only clubs I could not with any sort of consistently 704's, so I probably would have been okay. Here's hoping something big is announced tonight :-)

More time with the Proto today.

post-183986-14084027275135_thumb.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3G8S33hcKE

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

MM Proto is the latest innovation to come hot out of The Oven. The technology helped us rethink how we make blades and helped Rory McIlroy take The Open Championship.

#‎TheresAlwaysBetter 08/18/14

http://gonike.me/TheOven

10606456_10152633478628258_9070422155769904668_n.jpg?oh=01dad720bb51fcf0b8dbbe2c243b444b&oe=548122EA

It'll never happen, but I hope Nike just takes this iron and cleans it up with no further stamping. Any way they stamp it, I can't wait to get my set.

I see there's no "MMPROTO" stamp on this head. Perhaps there will be a different logo.

But the "MM" must stand for something. There's been speculation in this thread, as to what it could be. "Multi-Muscle", "Modern-Muscle", "Modern-Muscleback", "Multi-Material"....

I think it refers to the "muscle".

But the production model is bound to be the same forging, shape, size etc. just without the oven stamp and # of 40 stamp. They all come from the Endo foundry, so there will be no difference in production quality or materials.

Plus I can't see Nike producing this design for their players and the initial limited run of 40, then start all these teasers with pics of this model, only to bring out a completely different model from a completely different forging die.

You heard it first here folks!!

Now, what do I win??!!

TaylorMade SLDR 430 Driver, 10°, MRC Diamana B-Series 60-X (from TM European Tour Van)
Nike VR Pro LE 3-wood (Tour Issue 1-dot head), 15°, MRC Diamana Kai' li 70-X
TaylorMade Rescue TP 19°, UST Axivcore Tour Blue 80-X
Titleist 670 Forged Blades 3-PW, FM Precision Flighted Rifle 6.5
Vokey Raw 52° FM Precision Flighted Rifle 6.5
Vokey Raw 56° FM Precision Project-X Satin 6.5
Scotty Cameron JAT Prototype (Circle-T) or
Nike Oven "DF" 006 Prototype

i went out yesterday and finally got some good range time in. I started the season playing AP2's with KBS Tour stiff shafts, very forgiving but hard to control ball flight everything was the mid high decent trajectory, i couldn't keep some shots as low as i wanted them, partly shaft related, also some balls that weren't pured still felt good only the ball flight wasn't ideal, i really prefer to feel when i miss. prior to these i was gaming mizuno mp32's with the same kbs tour shaft. these were not nearly as forgiving and lots of distance loss on miss hits. the biggest thing i noticed switching to the MMPROTOS was shot dispersion, i was much much tigher even on mishits. i didn't have the distance on mishits the AP2's gave me but they still went in the direction i wanted. also changes in ball flight are much easier to manipulate with the MMPROTO's with an inherently lower flight, to hit high shots i do need to TRY to hit something high, i will mention that i went to a CTaper shaft in the Nike which took the longest to get used to but i do prefer them over the KBS Tour froma pure trajectory standpoint, feel is slightly better with the tour shafts, but well hit balls feel great on the mmprotos, with the ap2 some not so well hit balls also felt decent, the feedback on a blade is just better. i'm a believer in modern muscle and as far as looks go i do prefer a more classic color scheme in the MMPROTO's over the vapors

• 2 weeks later...

The Lime color is pretty crap, the all satin would have been better and id have maybe switched from my PING S55's which i love........might be off to Cally APEX tours soon enough if Nike doesnt bring a Satin set out, but i doubt they will seeing 40 ppl have spent 1500 on a set of satin Ltd Editions.........

TM M3 440 9" Degree / 661 111 in X spec Speeder Shaft
TM M3 15 Fairway / 757 Speeder Shaft S Spec
Ping G25 17deg Hybrid Accra Shaft X Spec
Mizuno MP18 Blades Modus 3 Tours 3-PW - S Flex
Titleist SM 6 50, 54 & 58
Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour only

[quote name='JORDANF1' timestamp='1409201541' post='10023131']The Lime color is pretty crap, the all satin would have been better and id have maybe switched from my PING S55's which i love........might be off to Cally APEX tours soon enough if Nike doesnt bring a Satin set out, but i doubt they will seeing 40 ppl have spent 1500 on a set of satin Ltd Editions.........[/quote]
Aren't the Vapors satin?

[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M2 2016 9*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Taylormade M2 2016 15*[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Adams DHy Proto 21*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC FliHi 4i[/font][/i][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC 5-P[/font][/i][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Callaway MackDaddy 4 Milled 54|58[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][i]Custom Scotty Cameron California Coronado Milled Face[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Snell MTB/MTB Black[/i][/size][/font][/center]

The Lime color is pretty crap, the all satin would have been better and id have maybe switched from my PING S55's which i love........might be off to Cally APEX tours soon enough if Nike doesnt bring a Satin set out, but i doubt they will seeing 40 ppl have spent 1500 on a set of satin Ltd Editions.........

Aren't the Vapors satin?

Maybe he means the whole club? As in the black part is also satin as the MMProto?

Since even the retail models are a satin finish.. Finally.

Imagine if Nike released the VR Pro Blade satin.

10292453_10152631128313258_7234606712364843921_n.jpg?oh=51a5f918a08b394d1056144a4e94f449&oe=545BEEFA&__gda__=1416773295_5f100dc2cf30028839e59b441bfe26ef

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

Yeah i meant the Crappy Lime Green Swoosh and black insert..........

TM M3 440 9" Degree / 661 111 in X spec Speeder Shaft
TM M3 15 Fairway / 757 Speeder Shaft S Spec
Ping G25 17deg Hybrid Accra Shaft X Spec
Mizuno MP18 Blades Modus 3 Tours 3-PW - S Flex
Titleist SM 6 50, 54 & 58
Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour only