2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The Wager...

Pigems

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1421901588' post='10795523']
[quote name='beretta5spd' timestamp='1421874740' post='10792683']
how many of my canadian brethren have been working on their putting game over the winter?
[/quote]

I have one of those electric return thingies and plug it in once and a while on the carpet in our condo sometimes leave it there for a few days.
Did some real putting green practice last weekend though and played a round yesterday. The greens were slow but putting was the only thing that was reasonable about my game. Put in my old 2ball White Steel to allow for slow greens and not worry about any sand or grit on the face. It's an old faithful and I think I'm going back to it as my gamer. It just feels like point and shoot without overthinking.

The other day I put some impact tape on that putter ( that I got after Pigem's posting about same). I was quite surprised that at least on the carpet every strike was in the centre of the impact tape, where the metal on the insert is. That didn't hurt my comfort zone when I put it in the bag for play yesterday.
[/quote]

awesome! coming from the prairies I can only dream of putting on a real surface right now

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421897607' post='10795161']
[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1421897337' post='10795135']
The important question is: how do you like it?
[/quote]

She's ugly now, but she works, and that's what's most important :)
[/quote]

Well, let's be honest here... you're not going to see it from the playing position!

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1421898174' post='10795209']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1421897607' post='10795161']
[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1421897337' post='10795135']
The important question is: how do you like it?
[/quote]

She's ugly now, but she works, and that's what's most important :)
[/quote]

UGLY??? LOL. Check out Tembolo1284's iron pics sometime though
I don't remember where they are anymore. Maybe his swing thread?
He tapes the sh** out of them and is PROUD of the ugliness, LMAO

Oh and I'm TOOL right now.
[/quote]

Playing against someone with clubs draped in lead tape made me anxious. Anyone who puts that much effort into distributing tape is looking to get surgical with those irons!

Speaking of surgical, I am bringing back a surgical instrument from my past for a 1-day contract and a slot in the bag... the butter knife will hit the course on Saturday! Yeah, I am bringing the ORIGINAL driving iron, a 1 iron, to see if it can do the job for me in what is supposed to be 15-35 MPH winds through the canyons on a course I have never played before. Oh yeah, the course is a par 74 (what the "bleep!" is a par 74 course??) at 7628 yards from the tips.

... what could go wrong? :swoon::censored2::russian_roulette:

Make sure you have swagger before you pull that baby for a tee shot. A LOT of swagger. Prayin' doesn't hurt much, either. Remember, no matter what, pose on that finish. Picture camera flashes going off, from the throngs of ticket holders who came to watch you, yes, YOU, hit that 1 iron.

I don't have much else in terms of inspiration today. :tomato:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1422006070' post='10802363']
Speaking of surgical, I am bringing back a surgical instrument from my past for a 1-day contract and a slot in the bag... the butter knife will hit the course on Saturday! Yeah, I am bringing the ORIGINAL driving iron, a 1 iron, to see if it can do the job for me in what is supposed to be 15-35 MPH winds through the canyons on a course I have never played before. Oh yeah, the course is a par 74 (what the "bleep!" is a par 74 course??) at 7628 yards from the tips.

[/quote]

Well, at least you won't be hit by lightening...though Trevino was pretty wrong about that "even God can't hit a one iron" statement as it turned out. :taunt:

Oh I wasnt trying to correct you sir, not with how bad my Grammar and spelling is lol. I had opened the Window before you made your post and didn't see it before I posted. We just think alike is all :D

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1422043063' post='10804959']
Reading my posts and all of my poor grammar, spelling, punctuation and such must absolutely eat PD, being a teacher and all. :)
[/quote]

Bigger 'fish to fry' Pigs. Sometimes we get lost in the minutiae and fail to see the bigger picture.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1422037862' post='10804519']

[/quote]

Well, at least you won't be hit by lightening...though Trevino was pretty wrong about that "even God can't hit a one iron" statement as it turned out. :taunt:
[/quote]

I knew he was struck by lightning twice, but was he actually holding a one iron when it happened?

[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1422052026' post='10805807']
Pigems, you boys and girls up in the Canadian Maratimes are going to have your hands full with this coming storm. We'll be windy as the storm bombs out just to our south and east, but by the time it's sliding north and east of Nova Scotia, it should be something special. :scare2:
[/quote]

Well hopefully the Jetstream does its job and pushes most of it out tonsea before it hits us. Gotta love the good old jetstream on this side of the country, though in bc I'm sure it probably does the exact opposite and pushed storms inland instead.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1422052113' post='10805821']
[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1422037862' post='10804519']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I knew he was struck by lightning twice, but was he actually holding a one iron when it happened?
[/quote]

Don't think so- prob wishes he was.

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1422056259' post='10806157']
[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1422052026' post='10805807']
Pigems, you boys and girls up in the Canadian Maratimes are going to have your hands full with this coming storm. We'll be windy as the storm bombs out just to our south and east, but by the time it's sliding north and east of Nova Scotia, it should be something special. :scare2:
[/quote]

Well hopefully the Jetstream does its job and pushes most of it out tonsea before it hits us. Gotta love the good old jetstream on this side of the country, though in bc I'm sure it probably does the exact opposite and pushed storms inland instead.
[/quote]

Nah, too strong of a meteorological bomb... that's actually a technical term. You'll get a good blow out of this. ;)

Well, I can say after today's round that my decoder ring is BACK in my possession ... and so is the swagger. :) Played at Los Serranos with Steele47 today and things worked out pretty good. Played the "Jack's Black" tees (7628 yd, par 74, rated 76.8/137 slope) and started out rough. My alarm didn't go off this morning so I was LATE to my tee time and started double/double. After that I settled down with 3 birds (one a 3 iron at 224 on a par 3 to a back pin leaving less than a foot), a bogey (STUPID putt), and a triple which will go down in infamy.

Ever hit a ball that goes through 4 HUGE trees (missed EVERY branch) only to leave you 50 yards to an uphill green fronted by water ... on a par 3? Seriously. Hit a 4 iron at 219 (downhill) and tried to fade it, but ended up with a pull draw. Tried to hit a shot back up from the gully I was in and it hit a branch square... and then again a branch square! Third attempt ... dangling branch HAT TRICK! FINALLY chip and putt for 6. Remove that hole and instead of being +5 I am +2. I will have to get back out there and play again when I can actually control the ball better. :)

Oh yeah, I did hit the 1 iron a couple times from out of the trees... and hit it sweet! Only problem was I was hitting it higher than I was expecting and, you guessed it, hit branches/trees. I only used it a couple times to escape lies where I needed a low flight to get back to the fairway and it failed me. Oh well... such is life with a 15 year old blade.

Oh yeah ... anyone know where my decoder ring is?? :)

Oh boy, forecast was updated recently. Let's see if this works...

[url="https://www.facebook.com/ReedTimmerTVN/photos/pcb.10153045463309169/10153045457164169/?type=1"]https://www.facebook...7164169/?type=1[/url]

From Reed Timmer's facebook feed:
[color=#666666]
Latest GFS model shows the heaviest snow accumulations with Saturday NOR'EASTER from just north of Boston, MA through extreme southeast NH and coastal Maine, with over a foot possible here.[/color][color=#666666]

Bomb cyclogenesis is also expected through Satruday night with min surface pressure reaching 964 mb by early Sunday morning over Canadian Maritimes, so intense winds and blizzard conditions will be possible to the north and west of the surface low track, especially across Machias, ME through St Johns, New Brunswick late Saturday night.[/color]

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1422069999' post='10807481']
Well, I can say after today's round that my decoder ring is BACK in my possession ... and so is the swagger. :) Played at Los Serranos with Steele47 today and things worked out pretty good. Played the "Jack's Black" tees (7628 yd, par 74, rated 76.8/137 slope) and started out rough. My alarm didn't go off this morning so I was LATE to my tee time and started double/double. After that I settled down with 3 birds (one a 3 iron at 224 on a par 3 to a back pin leaving less than a foot), a bogey (STUPID putt), and a triple which will go down in infamy.

Ever hit a ball that goes through 4 HUGE trees (missed EVERY branch) only to leave you 50 yards to an uphill green fronted by water ... on a par 3? Seriously. Hit a 4 iron at 219 (downhill) and tried to fade it, but ended up with a pull draw. Tried to hit a shot back up from the gully I was in and it hit a branch square... and then again a branch square! Third attempt ... dangling branch HAT TRICK! FINALLY chip and putt for 6. Remove that hole and instead of being +5 I am +2. I will have to get back out there and play again when I can actually control the ball better. :)

Oh yeah, I did hit the 1 iron a couple times from out of the trees... and hit it sweet! Only problem was I was hitting it higher than I was expecting and, you guessed it, hit branches/trees. I only used it a couple times to escape lies where I needed a low flight to get back to the fairway and it failed me. Oh well... such is life with a 15 year old blade.

Oh yeah ... anyone know where my decoder ring is?? :)
[/quote]

You don't need a 1 iron. My friend, you need an arborist. :D

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1422083933' post='10808281']
They love to say trees are 90% air, but I only found that 90% in 1 out of about 12 shots. I hit so many branches today that I should have charged them for pruning services rendered. :)
[/quote]

Bring a copy of invoice slips for the next time you play that course!

TP, My father in law and his best friend played the front nine at the old St. Andrews this morning, we were planning on playing 18 but we ran out of time. I shot +6 but it felt like a good round, I hit my driver really well today off the tee but my irons let me down a couple times. The greens were pretty crazy too if you didn't land on the right area. It was a fun course though with barely any OB.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1422138796' post='10811371']
We came in 3rd, -9. One shot out of a playoff due to a computer malfunction. But we all had fun. You have to try the new Chrome Soft. Awesome ball!
[/quote]

I wish I could have witnessed the spectacle G64. Was an hour behind all day today. Just put both Peanuts to bed after picking them up from the in-laws.

How did you hit the ball given the extended lay-off?

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

I've had an interesting week of simulated golf. I'm tweaked something in the small of my back and am suffering though some discomfort. The pain is making it difficult to make a full turn am I'm having trouble staying in my posture. Through the past three rounds I've averaged 210 - 215 yards off the tee, with a dreaded case of the snap hooks. At times I'm smothering the ball 170 yards off the tee. The oddity is that I'm +3 over my last 45 holes and it's all been 'smoke and mirrors'.

A typical hole . . . smothered drive 185 yards, 3 hybrid 190 yards, pitch to 7 feet, sink the putt to save par.

My game inside 130 yards has been exceptional and my game over 200 yards has been downright scary.

It's demoralizing to struggle off the tee, but I'd be incredibly pleased if this short game work translated into lower scores in the spring.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*