2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The Wager...

Pigems

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1422721675' post='10856423']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1422718677' post='10856149']
Somehow my average went down after last night, I had a good score drop off the back end so it should have went up I thought. Who knows but I'll take it lol.
[/quote]
My buddy and I may finally try out the Golzon near here next Thursday. And, no, I won't be posting my score. lol
[/quote]

The Wager boys expect a full rundown. Swing videos, hole-by-hole analysis, post round reflections, areas for future improvement. It's how we roll : )

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MSOI, it does take some getting used to in order to play golf in a confined space for sure. How did you like the overall experience and tech of the Golfzon simulator??

PD, I may end up having to send you my clubs once the wager is over for some "fine tuning" . Sounds like your becoming quite the pro club builder sir :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1422722538' post='10856507']
MSOI, it does take some getting used to in order to play golf in a confined space for sure. How did you like the overall experience and tech of the Golfzon simulator??

PD, I may end up having to send you my clubs once the wager is over for some "fine tuning" . Sounds like your becoming quite the pro club builder sir :)
[/quote]

I think you should enter the club building arena Pigs. It is an amazing sense of accomplishment to build a set of clubs that produces results. Like a round of golf, I'm trying to embrace the 'journey' of a build. I simply wish I wasn't building in -6* temperatures, in a dimly lit garage, that is without power.

I'm trying to envision a professional builder doing this and the image is a bit fuzzy.

I think I've got a few screws loose.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1422722944' post='10856531']

[/quote]

I think you should enter the club building arena Pigs. It is an amazing sense of accomplishment to build a set of clubs that produces results. Like a round of golf, I'm trying to embrace the 'journey' of a build. I simply wish I wasn't building in -6* temperatures, in a dimly lit garage, that is without power.

I'm trying to envision a professional builder doing this and the image is a bit fuzzy.

[/quote]

All the great minds have been accused of being crazy at one point or another. ;)

[/quote]

Pigs, It's tentatively planned for [u]next[/u] Thursday... we'll see about booking after my friend gets back from a trip Mon or Tuesday.

Hmm, I feel about confined spaces the way PD does, :derisive: and I never seem do well at inside launch monitors, so that may be interesting. I maybe should have kept my trap shut till after the fact as it may not happen right now partly as have a med this week that could postpone it.

Oh, boys, I am entering the [i]club-building arena[/i] myself today! Ok, kinda-sorta. I don't do diddly with my own clubs and even Leggo confused me as a kid. I head to the clubfitter in a couple of hours to pick up my regripped new g25 20* hybrid and the g20 27* and 23* that he is shortening a scant 1/4" to meld with the newbie better hopefully. Well, it's [u]somebody's[/u] club building arena. :taunt:

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1422722944' post='10856531']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I true professional can get the job done properly under any circumstances PD ;)

So I'm downstairs getting ready to cut down my hybrids, I decided to measure up my irons out of curiosity, they are all at least 1/4" over standard length. I knew something was up with them. I'm definitely cutting them down now lol.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Much better flow thru the set now, for now lol. Now I'm going to check the lengths, weights and sw's of every club to get an idea of where to go from here.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

The measurements look 'spot on' Pigs ; )

I began building because I was so disappointed with the work I was seeing at my local Golf Town, but it seems like OEM specs can be affected by quality control issues as well.

Frustration can lead to action.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

These are the changes I'm thinking about trying first, just wit head tape of course. I may only go as far as C9 or D0 for my fw's because that's a lot of weight to add and I don't want to soften the shafts if I can help it. Maybe next I'll try adding weight to the butt end and try lighter sw.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

TY sir, I really like how dialed it PD got his set and the results he's getting are great. So I'm hoping to be able to dial mine in as best I can now in hopes of getting similar results. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1422795054' post='10861163']
TY sir, I really like how dialed it PD got his set and the results he's getting are great. So I'm hoping to be able to dial mine in as best I can now in hopes of getting similar results. :)
[/quote]
Agree with Little Poison. How are you going to add all that extra weight at the fulcrum point? That's a new one I don't recall reading about before (other than adding some tape there to get an idea of swingweight with a heavier shaft for example, but not as ongoing playing). Course it's only 5am here and the coffee isn't even ready yet, so all cylinders aren't going yet.

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1422746729' post='10858595']
PD, will this work for my fw's to get the sw up to d2?? We'll in theory anyways??
[/quote]

Ultimately you are trying to find a 'feel' that appeals to you. You already know that you lose 3 swing weight points with every 1/2 inch you chop off. You will also change the effective lie angle (3/4" flatter). The numbers that you've listed will provide a starting point, but without a proper fitting you will have to experiment. I'd place tape on the grip at the length you wish to cut to provide a reference and I'd play a few rounds. Impact tape on the face should provide immediate feedback. Once I determined the correct length I'd butt trim and add lead tape to the cavity (I'd got heavy first and then remove). You should probably have the lie angles checked and adjusted afterwards. You need to determine what feels balanced (and this is personal).

Type the following into the WRX search function. Many pages of helpful banter (Mr. Wishon provides the OP and chimes in). Static measuring chart on page 1

Proper Length Fitting - how it needs to be done

Most importantly, have fun experimenting. : )

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

MSOI, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Instead of adding all that weight to the head on those 3 clubs, trick the shaft into feeling heavier to gain swp's there so I don't have to add so much weight to the heads causing the shafts to feel soft.

PD, thank your for the advise sir, I'm definitely going to do a lot of experimenting before cutting my irons. I'll probably wait until outdoor golf starts in spring most likely, I'd rather base my final decision on real ballflight then the sim results in this case. But I'll use the sim to narrow down my options in the mean time. Time to do some homework and serious reading :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I picked up a couple rolls of lead tape this afternoon from GT. I weighed the rolls and divided by the number of inches per roll, came out to roughly 1.25g per Inch of lead tape. Then I figured out how much tape each club will need to get to D2. The second picture is the alternative method for my fw's and hybrids to simulate a heavier shaft to gains point that way instead.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

G64,

My neighbour is driving around on a Bobcat clearing driveways and the road. I was up at 5:30 digging out a path to the car as I thought I had to work, so I missed the gesture of goodwill.

[attachment=2598907:Bobcat.png]

and apparently the world's been turned upside down.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Was supposed to go to Sarnia. Not going to happen. Neighbour invited us over for some chili for lunch. :) BTW Pigs, your hockey team sucks. Loose to Arizona?! Buffalo next? Geesh! O well, could be worse. Could be a Leafs fan?! LOL :cheesy:

Ping Hoofer

TM Sim2 10.5* 

TM Sim2 4H

TM P790 5-AW

TM MG1 54/60*

SC NP

TM SS

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

My father in law dropped these bad boys off the other day when he was in town for me to "clean up" and try to sell for him. I'm curious to see how well I'll be able to clean them up. Should be a fun little project to get my mind off of my gear for a few nights lol. I'll be sure to share lots more pics of the process and results :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1422896139' post='10868661']
Was supposed to go to Sarnia. Not going to happen. Neighbour invited us over for some chili for lunch. :) BTW Pigs, your hockey team sucks. Loose to Arizona?! Buffalo next? Geesh! O well, could be worse. Could be a Leafs fan?! LOL :cheesy:
[/quote]

Chili? and yet more Arizona references. No snow here but rainy (duh). But maybe it's all the Phoenix sports influence this weekend (and that we had to cancel Palm Springs this month) that gave me a Southwest food hankering the last couple of days.

Saturday I made brisket and last night I reheated the leftovers with some spicy barbeque baked beans.

Tonight I'm reheating most of the beans (made a ton) along with some spicy cornbread (in the oven now) and some southwestern chicken in buttermilk. Not all on my wife's diet but she'll eat small. I'm actually eating small right now to, though it may sound like it, since I'm not getting the same exercise outside. (Yep I'm the chief cook, but the generally cleans up the mess!).

The Piglet is practically drooling over the R7 and Hybrid lol. He keeps asking how long it will take me to clean them up, and then how long to sell them, and how much, it's cute lol. He's downstairs now trying to figure out how long he would have to save his allowance to save up for them. The little bugger has the ho'in itch already haha

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

OK so this is them so far. I still need to hit them with the metal polish and shine them up but they definitely look better than before. I wish this r7 was a lefty, it's got a really nice shape to the head.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Hey guys, I know you know a lot about club building so I was wondering how I should go about shafting my 4 wood head. It is a g15 4 wood head and the shaft is a mitsubushi rayon javln fx m7. I know that these fit together but was just wanting some information on how to shaft it. What do I need to do as far as prepping the shaft and head for it? What materials do I need? Thank you guys for everything.