2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Did TGC dump Kelly Tilghman ?

kwcsports

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope so, I think she does GolfCentral and other things really well but she is a horrible announcer. I know it would never happen but I'd love to have Peter Kessler brought back to TGC and join Faldo in the booth, but with the fallout between Kessler and Palmer some years ago I doubt that would ever happen.

IMO, the Golf Channel lost a great talent in Peter Kessler. He was tremendous, IMO. He also did not duck asking the hard questions.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I hope so, I think she does GolfCentral and other things really well but she is a horrible announcer. I know it would never happen but I'd love to have Peter Kessler brought back to TGC and join Faldo in the booth, but with the fallout between Kessler and Palmer some years ago I doubt that would ever happen.

could not have said it better

I think Faldo is currently as good as it gets. Here's a guy that has been there, done that and got 6 majors. Now he's made the transition from a golfing machine into an insightful analyst. Because he was one of the first to completely rebuild his swing successfully, his understanding of swing mechanics is second to none so when he make a call on someone, he knows what he's talking about. His experience in Ryder cups and majors means he knows what it feels like when the pressure is on.

As for Kelly Tilghman, every time I see her I get the feeling that she's reading off the autocue and that she's not that good a reader. No feeling or insight, just obvious commentary on what we can already happening on screen. Sorry but being a good golfer doesn't mean you're a good golf analyst.

Kelly doesn't bug me at all. Not sure why she bothers people so much. She's not Dennis Miller, thank God.

He got me when he called Canton, Ohio the Tigris and Eurphrates of the football world. People would love Kelly is she was gorgeous but people don't like her because she is not a pin-up model. That's all it is, people are shallow.

I totally agree, Kessler was awesome, I loved that guy.

Although I am starting to notice more of the old Kessler interviews on TGC. After the blowout you saw nothing at all.

I can't take Kessler for some reason. Not sure if its the voice or what but I literally could not watch anymore. Kelly needs work for sure. I am surprised they pulled her that quick if it is true. TGC did spend some serious cash on the rights for TV so I am sure thay need to keep viewers. If she was hurting them then you can see why the short rope

He got me when he called Canton, Ohio the Tigris and Eurphrates of the football world. People would love Kelly is she was gorgeous but people don't like her because she is not a pin-up model. That's all it is, people are shallow.

Nope, not really shallow but discerning. People don't like her because she's a talking head who burbles whatever she has been told to burble. You don't get the insight you expect from an analyst. I don't care if she was or wasn't a pin-up, I care that she is able to do her job.

I might be a little annoyed at this because I think the most common habits of a bad commentor are: describing what's on the screen like everyone else is blind (I know he's in trouble, I saw him hit it into the water too), repeating what we already know (Phil a lefte! You don't say!) and not knowing when to shut up (blah blah blah....). She has an unfortunate tendency to do just this. I don't expect people with the televisual prowess of David Attenborough or Dan Maskell but I do expect more than just a talking head.

Nope, not really shallow but discerning. People don't like her because she's a talking head who burbles whatever she has been told to burble. You don't get the insight you expect from an analyst. I don't care if she was or wasn't a pin-up, I care that she is able to do her job.

I might be a little annoyed at this because I think the most common habits of a bad commentor are: describing what's on the screen like everyone else is blind (I know he's in trouble, I saw him hit it into the water too), repeating what we already know (Phil a lefte! You don't say!) and not knowing when to shut up (blah blah blah....). She has an unfortunate tendency to do just this. I don't expect people with the televisual prowess of David Attenborough or Dan Maskell but I do expect more than just a talking head.

She's not supposed to be an analyst.

Personally I wouldn't care if she looked like Beyonce, she is quite possibly the most annoying person to ever be put on tv or radio. I don't know know whats worse her or TGC's coverage. At least the coverage has gotten better no more of this 1 shot, Kelly telling what just happened then making some ridiculously stupid comment that makes everyone around her go silent (like at bay hill when she kept saying that palmer had to make it more "sinister" (the word she used about 25 times in 5 minutes) and Faldo and Palmer would go silent and just look around while she sat there and awkwardly laughed.) then one more shot and commercial, come back from comercial watch Phil hit a terrible shot listen to tillman say it was a bad shot then go back to f***ing commercial. It's ridiculous its the GOLF channel not some brutal Rachel Ray, Tyra Banks bullxxxx talk show. Show some f***ing golf not commercials and put a commentator on that makes things interesting rather then forcing me to watch golf on mute so I don't have to hear her horribly annoying voice. This has been the worst year of golf that I can remember, hell I can't stand it: The "Golf" Channel, Kelly Tillman, tournaments with no excitement (ooooh The CA Championship wow that's fun sounding isn't it? a hell of a lot better then Ford Championship at Doral where there's actual corporate support and fun prizes with real interest), and what the hell is with everyone wearing the same thing as Tiger today (now you're all going to jump at me and say that I'm a Tiger lover because I compared people to him), All this talk around the golf world as to Tiger this Tiger that oh his dad was a Nazi and oh he's slumping and oh he sucks because he doesn't win every tournament he enters so therefore his knee must hurt and on and on, Oh and don't get me started on the FuckUpCup, It's golf its a gentlemen's HOBBY not NASCAR not a yearlong sport to win points and benefit players like Vijay who play 400 events a year and take advantage of crappy tournaments with terribly players to boost theit egos and pocketbooks because they can't hang with the real players and good fields. Christ the PGA tour has gone downhill what a joke this is it's not even golf anymore. oh yeah can't forget the I have a small dick crowd who have to have "TOUR" equipment because it makes them "better" because they're obviously way to good for all other equipment since they're definately playing with the best in the world.

Silver Truck...too much coffee. Grab your clubs, find a buddy and go play. Nothing makes me feel better then turning off the tube and playing 9 with my son or going to a driving range and playing targets or just go and make fun of the guys with $3000 clubs that can't hit anything but a wicked slice or pull hook.

Kelly doesn't bother all that much other than when she repeats the same things over and over and over again. That gets super annoying. I love Faldo EXCEPT for those stupid voices he does. Stop trying to act like Austin Powers.

My favorite by far is Rocco!!! I love what this guy has to say.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Driver
Taylormade SIM2 3HL
Taylormade Dual Rescue TP 4H
Mizuno JPX923 HMP 5i - GW
Mizuno T24 52* & 56*
Cleveland H.B. Soft Premier 11S 

I think Kelly does a fine job of announcing. As others have mentioned, she is not an analyst... Thats Faldo's job. I don't know about you guys, but I'm doing at least 3 other things while watching golf. I guess I find her comments helpful in following the action without actually watching.

I hope they give her more time. I'm sure when they decided to put her in the booth they gave her some crash course in how to announce golf. So it will probably take her time to develop her own style.

Oh and thanks for the bad mental image of her and Faldo... thinking of her talking dirty makes me cringe!

I think Kelly does a fine job of announcing. As others have mentioned, she is not an analyst... Thats Faldo's job. I don't know about you guys, but I'm doing at least 3 other things while watching golf. I guess I find her comments helpful in following the action without actually watching.

I hope they give her more time. I'm sure when they decided to put her in the booth they gave her some crash course in how to announce golf. So it will probably take her time to develop her own style.

Oh and thanks for the bad mental image of her and Faldo... thinking of her talking dirty makes me cringe!

I don't really care what her purpose is. I care about how she does it. And whatever she is supposed to be doing - IMO, she does it very poorly. She says some of the dumbest things and overstates the obvious often. I am very happy that she is not rattling away on my TV during the present telecast. I have not had to MUTE the audio once. That would seem to be an improvement.

You guys are just teasing. I bet she just has the week off. Hopefully she got the boot and has been sent back to the 19th hole. I have stated many times before how bad I think she is, so if this is true you know I will jumping for joy. Just can not stand her. She is horrible the match play when Tiger lost to Ohern was her worst performance. Just horrible. IMHO she SUCKS hopefully this rumor is true.

Will be shocked if she actually hooked up with Faldo, I share the same thaught as littlepingman. Not that there is anything wrong with that. If Littlepingman makes such a bold accusation I think he should back it up with some pictures.

Since the begining I just could not fathom why they would not get Tirico. The Faldo/Tirico thing worked fine before at ABC why did they go with Tillman? Made no sense.