No new acquistions...?

Picked up a couple of old Byron Nelson MacGregor woods with the clover/club sole plates, original leather grips. If anyone can verify what year these were likely produced I'd be much obliged. I was guessing late thirties/early forties? Found a 1-3-5 laminate set of Johnny Miller MacGregors that are obviously celebrating his 63 in 73 win. Also, and I know these aren't vintage by any means, I enjoy finding Vokey oil can wedges for $1 that are rusted and blemished and people just throw them out. Nothing that a little optimism and care, a wire brush and Barkeeper's friend can't fix. Found three Vokeys total in the last year so I think it's safe to say this is a trend.

I bought these last month, finally had time to clean them up (or at least the irons) and regrip. They are MacGregor CF4000 PT2 (from 1959 I believe), 2 iron thru Double Service wedge, and the 1-2-3-4 woods (actually the driver is a slightly different model, 2-3-4 appear to match the irons).

They were really rough when I bought them but the ceramic faces seemed to be mostly intact, so for $25 I took a chance. There was a good bit of surface rust, and some pitting, but most of it cleaned up. While they have been stored improperly, they don't look to have too many miles on them.

Here's the before pics:

And the driver close-up with a big chunk missing from the face:

They had the original leather grips, which are always cool to look at and contemplate keeping but I just can't get around the hard feeling they transmit at impact. When I took off the grips I found that they did not have wooden butt dowels as expected, just a plastic cap/insert and a one inch long rubber cork-like material wrapped around the end of the shaft butt. Underneath the leather wrap was pitch paper (picture medical tape soaked in emulsified asphalt -- or a soft, thin roofing paper), and under that several wraps of some kind of paper tape that was very thick, dry, and brittle. Perhaps that was the source of the impact harshness.

I soaked them in a plastic water pitcher filled with enough vinegar to cover the heads for 15 minutes or so and then scrubbed them with a copper wire brush. That worked well on the surface rust but unfortunately, they have a good bit of rust pitting that did not come off. Here's some after pics (the faces actually looked a little better before I took them to the range -- I neglected to clean them before shooting these):

(I added my '63 Mac TP Expediter sand iron to the set)

Here's a shot of the new grips -- Lampkin Perma Wrap Classics -- these are a dead ringer reproduction of the original MacGregor leather wraps that came off of these.

I took them back to the range yesterday after completing the new grips and bending them to my usual specs. They definitely have a much better feel to them now. I love the way these set up and frame the ball, they seem to be a bit shorter heel to toe than most classic blades, and the ceramic faces definitely provide a visual aid for centering the ball. In fact, my usual miss is a toe shot, but I probably hit 150 balls and only had a couple of toe misses. I attribute that to the contrast of the chrome vs ceramic face. It really enabled me to focus on the face centers.

The woods are a disaster, but I'm looking forward to trying to resuscitate them. I'll have to finish up some other woods projects first, though.

All in all, I think these are terrific irons. I'm looking forward to taking them out for a full round.

I too use Lampkin Perma Wrap Classics. Soft and I like the wrap feel. Question - are they still being manufactured? Max

"One Day At a Time"

Max, appears the Perma-Wrap Classics are back after a long absence!!!! Now being shown on Lamkin's website. Made with synthetic rubber rather than 100% rubber as before, but close enough. Even has the old style Lamkin script. Going to stock up with a couple of sets just in case they disappear again.

http://www.lamkingrips.com/shop/products/perma-wrap-classic-golf-grips.html

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Max, appears the Perma-Wrap Classics are back after a long absence!!!! Now being shown on Lamkin's website. Made with synthetic rubber rather than 100% rubber as before, but close enough. Even has the old style Lamkin script. Going to stock up with a couple of sets just in case they disappear again.

http://www.lamkingri...golf-grips.html

Fella51 - Thanks for getting back to me. The older ones are 100% rubber? Didn't know that - thanks. They do look sharp don't they.

Max

"One Day At a Time"

My favorite grip for classic clubs. Heck, any clubs. Really like the "old school" spiral piping look and the slightly exaggerated wrap feel. Great grip for playing sans glove, which is normally the case. And if they're anything like the old ones when it comes to wear, can get a couple of seasons out of them easily. With proper maintenance and cleaning.

8bit-

Straight out of the 1940 Catalog- Byron Nelson Texan woods.

Pat Pend on the Cloverleaf soleplate. "Texan"over the drill thru hosel.

These are original.

Great Catch!

Thanks, rex! And thanks for the info on the dating. BTW, I found the Byron Nelson woods in Santa Barbara, CA, at a thrift store for cheap. My shoot-from-the-hip guess about the era wasn't too far off. In fact, I think I hit the median. They're Texan, indeed. I guess my question is, what do I do with these clubs? They're not in the worst shape I've seen, and normally I'm a play as-is kind of guy, but these are giving me the restoration vibe, like they're too brittle and out of shape to play, too old school to enjoy in their present shape. What are my options if restoration is the ideal option?

Today I picked up a hickory putter. Nothing much new there.....or is there?

Anyone heard of Wilfrid Reid? If you haven't it's an omission, not just for the hickory boys but all classic golf nuts. He came out to The USA in 1913 at Harry Vardon's suggestion, played in 'that Open', got a passing if incorrect mention 'The Greatest Game' and lived and worked in golf in the USA and Canada until his passing in 1973.

He designed over 50 golf course,and remodelled another 40 or so. He was inducted, posthumously, into the Michigan HOF.

He is very well worth a Google, it is a very interesting story. You feel that he and Kevin Kisner would have got along famously.

Anyway I picked up one of his beechwood headed, scareneck putters from around 1920 from UK Ebay. It was in plain sight and came with a couple of commons for £25 + shipping. Where were you all? Here are some rough pictures, more later when I have cleaned it up

Wow!! Shamefully admit that I had never heard of Mr. Reid. Even with him being a relatively recent inductee (1985) to the Michigan Golf HOF. As OSR mentioned, a fascinating story and a life well lived.

Come to find out, have played a number of his courses that he designed here in Michigan. Indianwood C. C. "Old Course" (1x) being the most notable and another that I've played probably 100X over the years, before it closed at the end of last season. Just didn't realize.

Major kudos Mr. Stix for bringing this to our attention. It is now with increased enthusiasm that I await your pics of the refurbed Reid putter. Always learning something new around here.

Wow!! Shamefully admit that I had never heard of Mr. Reid. Even with him being a relatively recent inductee (1985) to the Michigan Golf HOF. As OSR mentioned, a fascinating story and a life well lived.

Come to find out, have played a number of his courses that he designed here in Michigan. Indianwood C. C. "Old Course" (1x) being the most notable and another that I've played probably 100X over the years, before it closed at the end of last season. Just didn't realize.

Major kudos Mr. Stix for bringing this to our attention. It is now with increased enthusiasm that I await your pics of the refurbed Reid putter. Always learning something new around here.

Fella-

Wasn't Indianwood G & CC the site of a recent US Senior Open, won by Roger Chapman?

(Pulling the MI double by winning the Senior PGA at Harbor Shores?)

Indianwood (Old) also hosted a couple of US Women's Opens.

Love that ridiculously large 18th green.

So what do you think about Indianwood (New) just across the street, designed by Kevin Aldridge and Bob Cupp?

By the way- Would that course that just closed have been Bald Mountain?

Absolutely Rex, 2012 was a very good year for Mr. Chapman in Michigan. Was in the gallery for the first round of the tournament.

Have only played Indianwood once, a guest to a Ford Dealers Association outing some 20 (?) years ago. A wonderful links style golf course, very much enjoyed the experience. Lost numerous balls into the tall grass as I recall. Never have played the new course so cannot offer an opinion. It's 15 minutes from home, have had one other invitation to play there. Unfortunately, the scheduling didn't quite work out.

Have always thought Kevin Aldridge's design of The Gailes at Lakewood Resort was patterned after Indianwood's "Old Course". Why not, his old man owns both.

Yes indeed, Bald Mountain. Many fond memories playing that course over the past 50+ years. Where I was taught how to play golf by my father. Made a point to go one final time last fall before they closed. Very nostalgic round of golf that day.

Several other Wilfrid Reid courses I have unknowingly played: Flushing Valley C. C., Gaylord C. C., Birmingham C. C., Braeburn G. C. (so it was W. Reid that designed the 610 yard, double dogleg, water left and right, Par 5, #13) and Indian River G. C. (original 9 holes, but not sure how that plays out with the current routing).

The California brigade are also included in his portfolio. Lakeside at Olympic was one of his.

It was a good day at the thrifts. Pics to follow later. My server too slow to upload at the moment.

1. Beautiful Hogan Bag

2. Old Macgregor Bag that will clean up nicely

3. NOS 3-pw TA 845 Silver Scots

4. 1980ish Macgregor Tourney 3-8

5. Haig Ultra 6, and 7 woods

6. Hogan Speedslot 6 wood

7. TM Rossa Indy Sport 1 putter

8. Unhit Diawa Persimmon with graphite shaft

Stix-

These are from the PGA/Tommy Armour Golf company, then in Morton Grove, IL

Unfortunately, these are the top of the line TA SS Collector model, and as such, the LH TA model from them is nowhere close to being this good in translation.

Notable staffers were Bruce Lietzke, Mark Hayes, and the Gallagher brothers- Jim Gallagher, Jr, and Jeff Gallagher.

You would be hard pressed to find any LH 985 style iron model from anyone during this period.

Tufhorse must have been part of the TA deal, as they are listed as a bag in the 1950s MacGregor Catalogs...

Excellent pickup!

Rex, thanks very much. The irons had Dynamic shafts which were shot, and have been fitted with TT S300s, which was as close as we could get. At a half inch longer than standard and one degree flat they play lovely.

As for the bag, well it's never seen a golf course. The base is pristine and has a fine large Tommy Armour logo, and this is on the base which no-one normal bothers with. Someone suggested that Burton Golf Bags made these for TA. Whoever, it's bag full of statement, not a shrinking violet. I love it.

Not all vintage but pretty good deal at 1.00 a club at a local thrift

Mint Ping I5 irons 4-lob stiff shafts, and new Winn grips,G5 Driver, Yes Putter, not shown Green Macgregor Staff bag, Hogan 99 wedge and 5 iron, Several Ping hybrids, several rescue woods. Someone obviously at store messed up on putting these out at $1.00

At the resellers around here the irons alone would be $250!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Just one more item arrived today.

Now, is that a Bag, or what?

Now that is a bag and those are a set of butter knives to go with it!!!!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Getting out of hand now. Just picked up this Spalding Staff bag. Rain cover included along with the owner's name.

Excellent find those bags were all the rage in the 60s and 70s a lot of the club pros and better players had those bags or green and white Macgregor bags.

Mint Ping I5 irons 4-lob stiff shafts, and new Winn grips,G5 Driver, Yes Putter, not shown Green Macgregor Staff bag, Hogan 99 wedge and 5 iron, Several Ping hybrids, several rescue woods. Someone obviously at store messed up on putting these out at $1.00

OH PLEEZE PLEEZE Mr Teevons I gotta see the Mac staff bag so I can drool some

Teevons-

To quote someone

".....a dollar?......"

Now you're on your third victory lap.... :taunt:

Thanks again for the '73 Equalizer Wedge.

Ridiculous pickup. I just saw a set of I5 at Play it Again sports for $199 looks like we are all waiting for pictures of the Macgregor bag.

Titleist 910 10.5 - Tour AD DI-6S
TaylorMade V-Steel FW (15* & 18*)
Adams Pro Hybrid (20* & 23*)
Ben Hogan Apex Edge (5-PW)
Titleist Vokey SM (52* & 56*)
SC Studio Select Newport 1.5