2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

Not a "scrounged" find, nor especially old. But I'm a sucker for these, in better shape than the current set and had excess Paypal funds in need of circulation. A set of Hogan shovels:

"Scrounged" who would say such a thing. Lol

Titleist 910 10.5 - Tour AD DI-6S
TaylorMade V-Steel FW (15* & 18*)
Adams Pro Hybrid (20* & 23*)
Ben Hogan Apex Edge (5-PW)
Titleist Vokey SM (52* & 56*)
SC Studio Select Newport 1.5

I just picked up this bag to display all my persimmon woods in my home office. :)

I have the carry bag that matches it it is the one I posted in the deal of the century post.. I found it at Goodwill for $2.50

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

Irons 5 thru 9 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

PW-- 1962 Macgregor FC-400 11 iron Pro Pel 2 shaft

SW -- Callaway Mac Daddy 52* 

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Ping Zing 2 SS Fluted Bulls Eye shaft

Down to only 11 clubs playing the best since my accident

Thanks NRYyzr for the Photobucket tip!!!

Picked up a few items:

Ping leather bag with working zippers and rain cover

Titleist Acushnet micro balanced 1 & 3 wood

Titleist 100 1,3,5 woods

Macgregor CF400 3 iron

Macgregor Tourney M65 DS

Haig Ultra sand iron

image_zpshocnzocc.jpeg

image_zpsfn0peksm.jpeg

image_zps4cwjc0ir.jpeg

image_zpsvgmbqrjg.jpeg

Good finds all the way around BTW those Mac wedges are as scarce as hen's teeth due to the fact that most guys like my old man played them until they wore out both the face and sole

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

Irons 5 thru 9 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

PW-- 1962 Macgregor FC-400 11 iron Pro Pel 2 shaft

SW -- Callaway Mac Daddy 52* 

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Ping Zing 2 SS Fluted Bulls Eye shaft

Down to only 11 clubs playing the best since my accident

Just picked up a set of Ben Hogan Apex Grind for $15 from CL. Unfortunately the 7 iron is missing. So the set is 3-6, 8-E. They are in great shape and should clean up well.

Shafts are True Temper Gold Plus Sensicore R300.

Let me know if anyone has a Hogan Apex Grind 7 iron.

7F4AE4C6-1A95-4513-B4EE-D4F8AF4E63C4_zpsuxylqts4.jpg

6ED41632-E20E-4DF9-9D0B-63CA5D087ECE_zps8ltq3ayb.jpg

19CC5D72-57F5-4F5B-8FA9-CD06B63600D6_zpso7uhru6v.jpg

Broke one of my cardinal rules of thrifting (again!), buying a less than complete set of irons. But I could not help myself as I had been wanting to obtain these irons that seemingly everyone on the planet has played at one time or another. Except me. Classic Ping Eye 2's. Partial "black dot" set consisting of 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW. So missing the 4, 5 and SW. They're the two Pat. # models so square grooves manufactured between 1985 - 1990. Finding the 4 and 5 should not present much of a problem, there seems to be a number of them on the bay. The SW may be more problematic and expensive. But one never knows what may show up when one least expects it.

All original right down to the badly deteriorated grips and less than primo JZ (black and blue labels) shafts. Hitting some shag balls out into the back 40, the shafts sure do feel stiff and "stingy". Maybe just bad swings. Laughed to myself thinking of Karsten the elder deciding that everyone will play stiff shafts in his irons and like it!! Unusual that the 2 iron shaft is the worst of the bunch, showing a significant amount of chrome loss. All the heads are in really nice shape other than needing a good sprucing up. Holy offset.

Have had a notion for some time of wanting to play Eye 2's. Assemble an all classic Ping bag. Just wasn't ready to pay the $ for a full set, preferring to find something on the cheap. Already have the Woods (Eye 2) in D, 4, 7 and a 029 Anser. So when I saw these, for a double sawbuck, couldn't just leave them sitting there. They fit the bill for what I was looking for, a set to experiment with without impacting value.

Thinking of reshafting them with CFS pulls that are plentiful and relatively cheap. Assessment is underway. I'd post a pic, but everyone already knows what they look like.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Broke one of my cardinal rules of thrifting (again!), buying a less than complete set of irons.

It is the only way to get a set cheap. Like you, I've done it myself. Unfortunately, I'm left looking for what is proving to be an all too rare 6i to complete my Golden Rams. As you noted, finding Eye 2's should be much easier especially when I'm told that you can still get replacement clubs direct from Ping going all the way back to 1984 model year! I don't know how true that is, but if so, it is an option.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Broke one of my cardinal rules of thrifting (again!), buying a less than complete set of irons. But I could not help myself as I had been wanting to obtain these irons that seemingly everyone on the planet has played at one time or another. Except me. Classic Ping Eye 2's. Partial "black dot" set consisting of 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW. So missing the 4, 5 and SW. They're the two Pat. # models so square grooves manufactured between 1985 - 1990. Finding the 4 and 5 should not present much of a problem, there seems to be a number of them on the bay. The SW may be more problematic and expensive. But one never knows what may show up when one least expects it.

All original right down to the badly deteriorated grips and less than primo JZ (black and blue labels) shafts. Hitting some shag balls out into the back 40, the shafts sure do feel stiff and "stingy". Maybe just bad swings. Laughed to myself thinking of Karsten the elder deciding that everyone will play stiff shafts in his irons and like it!! Unusual that the 2 iron shaft is the worst of the bunch, showing a significant amount of chrome loss. All the heads are in really nice shape other than needing a good sprucing up. Holy offset.

Have had a notion for some time of wanting to play Eye 2's. Assemble an all classic Ping bag. Just wasn't ready to pay the $ for a full set, preferring to find something on the cheap. Already have the Woods (Eye 2) in D, 4, 7 and a 029 Anser. So when I saw these, for a double sawbuck, couldn't just leave them sitting there. They fit the bill for what I was looking for, a set to experiment with without impacting value.

Thinking of reshafting them with CFS pulls that are plentiful and relatively cheap. Assessment is underway. I'd post a pic, but everyone already knows what they look like.

LoL. More shovels! Couldn't you plug the gaps with your new Hogans. Who'd notice? :cheesy:

Nice acquisition. I think those JZ shafts, if the label is blue and black, are actually regular flex. I think the stiffs were red. I actually really liked my i3s with a JZ stiff - albeit that was the Cushin edition (think sensicore) of the shaft. JZs are still being played on tour, at least by Westwood. Yours might not have the foam insert to soften the feel. Might be worth, before you go swapping out shafts, looking into new grips as a first priority, and if they can be found cheaply, some of those aftermarket vibration damping inserts. Pro soft are they called?

Birly, you funny! The Eye 2's are polar opposite of the Hogan shovels. They'd clash, aesthetically speaking.

They have the blue and black labels so they're regular (now confirmed via another thread). No Cushin, at least nothing is so labeled. I've been wanting to try Pro Soft type of DIY vibration dampening using 1/2" foam 'backer rod' that I was reading about in the tech section. Cut an 8" length and stuff it down the butt section. Guess these are the candidates to try this with before regripping.

The Eye 2's sure look different compared to the irons that I've been playing of late. But for $20, thought they would be fun to fool around with occasionally. And as a semi self respecting Classic WRX'er, felt that a set of Eye 2's were a required model to have in inventory. Along with the aforementioned Eye 2 woods and Anser, should make for a nice classic Ping play set. Guess I need to find one of those white Ping bags to stuff them in along with a set of "fuzzy" Ping HC's. And a SW.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I must confess I also have a set of Ping Eye2 irons 3-PW with the JZ red shafts. These shovels will look good in my white leather Ping bag I recently picked up.

Fella,

I thought I had a 5 iron head from my Eye 2's. I remember a clubhead flying off the shaft back in the day. I "loaned " the rest of my set to a friend of my daughter. Then he moved away without returning them. (not that I need another unused set of irons). Anyway, it was the 4-iron head, instead of the 5.

imo, paying $20 for the balance of the set is a deal, of for no other reason than to give the clubs a couple auditions on the practice tee.I played some pretty good golf with mine when I bought them new back in the 80's. The got less and less ugly with each good shot I hit.

20 Bucks? whisky tango foxtrot! I'd pay 20 bucks to watch a monkey make love to a porcupine.

Uncle Bob

Just arrived - will try and post more photos later. They're in much better shape than they look in their Ebay listing, which was pleasant surprise. The set is 2-PW although the 9i is missing and the PW doesn't match (which I knew already) - and quite a few shaft bands seem to be missing. Oh well. The grips seem in pretty good shape and are rubber so perhaps for this model the 'T' designated a rubber grip rather than cord perhaps?

Well, these are MacGregor Tourney-branded grips, featuring the same MT logo that is on the back of the clubhead, and they look pretty original - to my inexpert eye at least. Also, pretty much any M2T that I can find on Ebay at the moment seems to have these same MacGregor Tourney rubber grips. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/...mYAAOSw-zxWn9rJ

As a side note, how good does that set look?

Perhaps Charley Penna can tell us for sure what the T designates for this model.

Don't laugh, but I think these old aluminum pushcarts are now officially classic and cool again. I deem them culturally and historically significant. I don't see much talk about them on the forums either. What better way to tote your classic bag on the course, or maybe your oxygen tank when you get older, then one of these fine, made-in-the-USA marvels of engineering. I got a regular PlayDay with some killer wheels (see spokes and hub caps) and one that's specifically for the oval-shaped bags, of which I now have two. Can't wait to show these bags off on the local city course, beat the guy with the $1000+ Clic Gear & Sun Mountain rig.

That is an awesome set-up.

I've got a few old bags from the good-old-days. However, I've seen some Wilson 'Destroyed' on ebay... But anything with two flags is perfect.

The thrift store golf gods have been kind to me. These putters aren't Holy Grail material; just curiosities to enjoy for $1 each. The Pullman Standard boxcar putter is pretty kitschy, you have to admit. You won't ever see that on a putter again. For those who are curious, there is a "Full Hobo" version of this putter that comes equipped with a whisky flask built into the handle. I can dream if I want to, dammit.

Also got my hands on a couple of TPM #3 putters, one decent and the other more beat up to be a fun project restoration putter someday. The giant 80s Nicklaus putter cracked me up. It had a small hornet's nest built into the flange, I'm not joking. The Ping Eye 2 iron set I've always had, and I know it's not vintage, but I also found a modern 2015 Ping, all leather staff bag, one of those $300+ ones--but at thrift store prices! So as a Ping Eye guy, I couldn't resist.

OK, so here are a few more pics of my M2T FC4000s. I have given the 6-iron a bit of a cleanup so it is looking pretty good, but the rest of them should clean up much the same. The faces all appear to be in much the same shape. A couple of them have some wear towards the hosel as you can see (haven't cleaned that club up yet), and some grips are slicker than others but overall are pretty good for 52 year-old clubs.

As for the serial number, that indicates a D2 swing weight with an 'R' (regular? rigid?) shaft - is that correct?

Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning the faces? Just soap and water or is it safe to use something stronger?

OK, so here are a few more pics of my M2T FC4000s. I have given the 6-iron a bit of a cleanup so it is looking pretty good, but the rest of them should clean up much the same. The faces all appear to be in much the same shape. A couple of them have some wear towards the hosel as you can see (haven't cleaned that club up yet), and some grips are slicker than others but overall are pretty good for 52 year-old clubs.

As for the serial number, that indicates a D2 swing weight with an 'R' (regular? rigid?) shaft - is that correct?

Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning the faces? Just soap and water or is it safe to use something stronger?

Steve-

Those are the original rubber grips to those M2T irons, so the T must stand for Tourney.

We know the catalogs in the 50s called the "T" designation was for cord grips in woods.

Have used Bon Ami "Hasn't scratched yet" polishing cleanser for my FC 4000 irons.

This weekend I'm looking at a set of 73 haig ultra 2-pw

73 staff with the weight on the toe 2-pw

The guy has a few other sets as well

I'm afraid I will look for 1 set and walk out with 4 more

Sheesh I actually sold 5 sets of irons in the last year

I guess I need to be around the twenty sets to feel "normal"

I'm not crazy am I haha

Par-net...I am not qualified to answer the "I'm not....am I?" question, as I sheepishly look in my garage. I am finding it a bit easier to walk away from great deals that I come across now that I have found 3 solid sets of interest for me. The complete vintage go round, with my '71 Wilson's and persimmon of the day, my bag for all seasons retro kit, the Pind Zings, with modern Mini Driver, and long hybrid, and my newly aquired Tom Morris hickorys by Tad Moore.

Between one of these three I feel reasonably assured that I can play any course between 5500-6500 yards and have an enjoyable round.

That, then leaves me with the ability to begin to wean myself off the angry fix of see a vintage set, but a vintage set, and think about starting to cull the herd.