2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The Golf Channel has some very hot mics!

patrickw25

They're picking up everything...
First, Tiger flies the green with an iron and they pick up a plain as day "S***!!!" from Tiger. Then a hole later Tiger hits a so so iron and they pic up a plain as day "G** D*****!!".

Then, Sergio hits his drive on 18 into the water and they catch him saying (quite angrily) to someone in the gallery, "If you think it's so easy, go ahead and hit it yourself".

You can really hear everything that the players are saying, much more so than any other golf telecast I've watched...

My favorite part is how when they have picked up a curse, the announcers just completely ignore it. Tiger's s-bomb was practically yelled and there was a second or so of awkward silence, then they just kept talking like it never happened.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing is that they usually don't edit it in time for the evening broadcast. They might have to go to a 20 second delay.

I don't blame Sergio. There's a lot off guys out there that think it's pretty easy after watching them all day and having a few beers.

I enjoy the reality of the situation, just like my group, they hold nothing back, LOL.....

Callaway. TD M w/ Ventus Blue-6S

TM Sim Ti 15* w/Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

Ping g410 Hybrid 22*w/Alta CB-S

Callaway Apex w/Modus 105-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* Taylormade Full Toe 58*

Lab DF3-45.5”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

I like it. I want to see and hear the environment the pros play in and it's nice when there are similarities to what us amateurs go through. Well, me anyway...

One of my pet peeves with broadcasts is that the network will have a technician with a parabolic mic and just as you start to hear the conversation between a player and his caddy, the anchors talk right over it. That bugs me. I respect the fact that Faldo, Miller et al, know their stuff and can describe aspects of the shot but I want to hear the actual decision-making process the pros & caddies go through. Shut up already and let me hear the players!

I like it. I want to see and hear the environment the pros play in and it's nice when there are similarities to what us amateurs go through. Well, me anyway...

One of my pet peeves with broadcasts is that the network will have a technician with a parabolic mic and just as you start to hear the conversation between a player and his caddy, the anchors talk right over it. That bugs me. I respect the fact that Faldo, Miller et al, know their stuff and can describe aspects of the shot but I want to hear the actual decision-making process the pros & caddies go through. Shut up already and let me hear the players!

I cant agree more. I mean faldo and miller know their stuff but I like to hear what the actual player is saying to his caddie and vice versa. Its just interesting to hear the difference between certain players and their caddies what numbers are important to them and so on.

I'd love to hear the thought processes during a tournament, and see more full iron shots with less lag putting and scenic shots. It frustrates me to death how little golf is actually shown over a 3 hour telecast.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Sergio is always crying about something. "The media follows Tiger too much, dont make fun of my canary pants" Not mt mention his spoiled brat beahvior at the Ryder Cup. I know its emotional but come on, grow up. That also includes how Tiger acts sometimes.

Sergio at his WORST doesn't hold a candle to the show-boaters and whiners in baseball, football, basketball, etc. Heck, I know too many pro CYCLISTS that are way bigger babies than Sergio. I like that he gets pumped up for some events. Would I want everyone to do it? No, the same way I don't want everyone to be totally flat-lined emotionally. I like variety.

Sergio is always crying about something. "The media follows Tiger too much, dont make fun of my canary pants" Not mt mention his spoiled brat beahvior at the Ryder Cup. I know its emotional but come on, grow up. That also includes how Tiger acts sometimes.

Sergio at his WORST doesn't hold a candle to the show-boaters and whiners in baseball, football, basketball, etc. Heck, I know too many pro CYCLISTS that are way bigger babies than Sergio. I like that he gets pumped up for some events. Would I want everyone to do it? No, the same way I don't want everyone to be totally flat-lined emotionally. I like variety.

Totally agree. At best, we could say Sergio literally cries after a rough time out on the course (see British Open), but there is nothing wrong with that.

It's not like Sergio goes and looks for a reporter to whine to and get quoted. These less than bright media people ask dumb questions, Sergio gives them perhaps not too well thought out answers and the next thing you know, goofy sound bite.

I busted up laughing when I heard Sergio snipe the one-liner back to the fan. I could just picture the fan feeling like a complete idiot and the other fans around him laughing.

Of all the would be pretenders to challenge Tiger on a regular basis, Sergio is the guy who really could be a thorn in TW's side if he could just get confident with the putter. Sergio is one of the few great ballstrikers on tour. Other top players who get pumped up to be a challenge to TW....they usually have an issue that really isn't solvable, but putting....one day, that can click....or not.

so many sergio haters. people whining about people whining...hmmm :)

i also like hearing the conversation and decision making process that goes on between caddy and player. too bad that time is usually filled with sappy melodrama, and 2 foot bogey putts during network broadcasts.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

i am sorry but i dont like all the sergio bashin on here guys. i mean you need to respect the guys out there on tour and what they do. so many people take for granted what these men do. it is a hard life and alot of work to get to where they are. too many people think it is so easy and talk trash about how crappy a player is in his different aspects of his game. I would be willing to bet those who talk all this mess about how bad some of these players are could not stay within 10 strokes of any of these players. so plese guys, give it up when you are talking about how bad these guys are, and how they whine. i would love to see some of these people throw up all over themselves when they have to make a 10 footer for 100,000 dollars. it just amazes me how all this goes on and it is just unbeleivable. just my thoughts.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]WITB[/b][/font][/size]
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][size=3]TBD[/size][/font]

I agree with ike above. These guys play an extremley high standard of golf and as spectators we are watching them do what they do to make a living. Sure playing infront of spectators is part of the job description and professional golf wouldn't be teh same without it, but players should not be getting abuse from the gallery when they make a mistake. you wouldn't expect Sergio to abuse anyone else's golf game if he were a spectator when they were playing, an I can say for sure that he would not abuse any of us if we messed up at our day jobs. Spectators behaving inappropriatley is one of my pet hates and IMO if your going to behave badly watch it on tv.

In refrence to the Sergio bashing, I followed him at last year's Am-Ex on Sunday where he was not in contention and he was fantastic at interacting with the crowd, but also respected his playing partners and then dialed it down over the closing holes where the galleries were bigger and there was more pressure to finish out the job. Also followed him quite a bit at the 2002 Ryder Cup and he was the same there. Did a great job at getting the crowd going but also knew when to shut up and play golf, you can't blame the guy for showing his personality when he plays. Obviously that is a tense a passionate situation and I was impressed with how he could accomodate the respect and serious play with his outgoing personality and team atmosphere.

My comments yesterday were only solidified today when he spit into the cup. Yes, other sports have babies and dirtbags, but this is golf. Its thought of as the gentleman's game

he hit an all time low today...unfathomable..glad Roberts put him to task on that one...Sergio didn't think spitting in the cup was that big of deal... :)

My comments yesterday were only solidified today when he spit into the cup. Yes, other sports have babies and dirtbags, but this is golf. Its thought of as the gentleman's game

he hit an all time low today...unfathomable..glad Roberts put him to task on that one...Sergio didn't think spitting in the cup was that big of deal... :)

Couldn't agree more.....Kudos to Jimmy Roberts for asking the hard question! Perhaps it's time that someone with more authority takes Sergio to task for his behavior. But too bad we'll never know...to my knowledge the PGA doesn't announce fines, etc.

OK, that is pretty bad. It should be a big fine.

I'd love to hear the thought processes during a tournament, and see more full iron shots with less lag putting and scenic shots. It frustrates me to death how little golf is actually shown over a 3 hour telecast.

Me too, I love to hear more behind-the-scenes type of stuff. Here are a couple of examples I saw at the Byron Nelson last year:

Example #1:

Caddy: "Nice 360 yard par4 - get a good 4-iron out there."

Carl Petterson: <stare>

Caddy: <hands him the 4-iron>

Carl Petterson: "Do you like Driver?"

Caddy: "Did you hear me?"

Example #2: (this one is non-verbal, I guess you had to be there)

. . . . . . As 2 VERY cutie-pie teenage young "ladies" with matching pink miniskirts walk by :) (with their Mom in tow) . . . .

Caddy: <nudge with the elbow>

Robert Allenby: <smile>

Caddy: <whisper whisper whisper>

Robert Allenby: <chuckle/nod>

Me: <head nod>

Caddy: <smile>

Robert Allenby: <smile>