2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Minnesota Country Club Question

mp.14

I recently moved to the opposite side of town, used to live near white bear, I now live in minnetrista and need to join a new club in the area to get my fix in. I have looked at Windsong Farms and Hazeltine.

Windsong farms blew me away from the moment I pulled up. So peaceful and detached from everything, it really feels like you are out in the middle of nowhere. The course looked fantastic and everyone, including the members were amazingly friendly. Great facilities and atmosphere, I really felt a sense of home there.

I was going into Hazeltine thinking I would not like it one bit and that Windsong was the route I would go. However, Hazeltine really impressed me in almost every way. Very laid back and stunning facilities. The food is incredible, the lady has to approve as well, and the amount of things beyond golf they offer is pretty impressive. Seems like a very solid club and course.

I have not played either course yet, but am curious to others thoughts on the courses/clubs. I used to be a member at the White Bear Yacht Club and definitely love the more secluded, peacful setting in my course. My main question is what are people's thoughts on how hard and challenging each course is. I have heard the front 9 at Windsong is so-so, but that the back 9 is great. Hazeltine is obviously very long, but how is the course overall?

I am looking for any insight at all. It's greatly appreaciated.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this isn't an option for you, but if it were me I'd do every thing I could to stay at WBYC. :-) I am not a single digit handicap so Hazeltine and Windsong both wiped me out. Both are quite challenging. You didn't mention whether your wife played, but unless things have changed with the new ownership, Windsong is unapologetically all about the golf.

Thanks for the reply, I love White Bear, truly one the most beautiful courses I've played. I was fortunate enough to play there regularly for the last 7-8 years and I considered staying, but the drive is certainly not worth it and the course is a tad short and I got maybe a little too familiar with it over the years.

My wife does play golf a bit, she usually just tags along and walks with every now and then, but she loved both facilities and restaurants. One incredibly cool thing about Windsong is they did say I could bring my dog with in the spring and fall, which is a unique bonus. The new ownership definitely seems dedicated to golf and keeping the clubs more laid back atmosphere in tact.

How would you compare Hazeltine and Windsong? They are both pretty long, how do they play? Is either course more about placement of shots rather than hitting it as far as possible?

I've never played Windsong but I have played Hazeltine a few times and I'd give anything to play there on a daily basis. On another note, WBYC is still on my short list of courses I need to find my way onto.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

[quote name='rebby' timestamp='1408161409' post='9945393']
I've never played Windsong but I have played Hazeltine a few times and I'd give anything to play there on a daily basis. On another note, WBYC is still on my short list of courses I need to find my way onto.
[/quote]

If I join Hazeltine, you'd be welcome to tag along anytime you would like : ), or Windsong. I could get us onto WBYC as well. Hazeltine has reciprocity with almost any course, anywhere, which is a plus

[quote name='mp.14' timestamp='1408197992' post='9946513']
[/quote]

If I join Hazeltine, you'd be welcome to tag along anytime you would like : ), or Windsong. I could get us onto WBYC as well. Hazeltine has reciprocity with almost any course, anywhere, which is a plus
[/quote]

Can I take you up on this offer too :)

[/quote]

[/quote]

That would be absolutely phenomenal! Keep me posted, I'll buy the beers.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

[quote name='rebby' timestamp='1408245664' post='9949797']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That would be absolutely phenomenal! Keep me posted, I'll buy the beers.
[/quote]

Absolutely, I will let you know. Should be playing each course this week to help make my decision!

[quote name='asommers14' timestamp='1408242764' post='9949563']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Can I take you up on this offer too :)
[/quote]

Sure thing :D

The good news is that there is no bad choice between Windsong and Hazeltine. Both are very good.

My personal opinion is that Hazeltine is harder and Windsong is a little more fun. Hazeltine is just a total brute. You have to keep it in the fairway because the rough is thick and missing greens is really though. Windsong offers a bit more creativity in how you play it. If you keep it out of the fescue, you have a better chance to make par from the rough. In addition, you can bounce it onto more greens.

Both are very much about golf.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

Agree with the jshel 98%. Hazeltine is true test of golf and it will never be an easy round. I caddied out there for 3 years and I don't think I saw more than a few dozen guys shoot in the 70's. Fast greens, tall rough, long overall but a very good track. The rough right off the fairway 8 times out of 10 requires a pw to get out of. It is fun to play a course that is still considered a PGA tour quality track. Ryder coming in 2016. Joining now would give you some sweet perks for that upcoming event. As a caddie, the members we ok in my opinion. Some were likable but plenty treated us poorly.

Windsong is also a good course to consider. I have only played there once, but it was in good condition. I felt like the greens rolled so true that I could make any putt within 20 ft and I did! I agree that Windsong requires a little more variety vs Hazeltine. They really are completely different courses. I have heard good things about the new ownership and I think they also just bought the course across the street. I am not sure what they are planning but it would be sweet if they redid the course and had two options.

If you are really interested in Hazeltine I have an acquaintance that is a member out there and I am sure he would golf with you if you are strongly considering joining.

If you ever need a 4th at any of the above mentioned courses shoot me a PM. I haven't been out to Hazeltine or Windsong in about 5 years. I would be happy to cover the guest fee to play with a fellow WRXer. Good luck in making your choice.

[quote name='venand' timestamp='1408330506' post='9954735']
Agree with the jshel 98%. Hazeltine is true test of golf and it will never be an easy round. I caddied out there for 3 years and I don't think I saw more than a few dozen guys shoot in the 70's. Fast greens, tall rough, long overall but a very good track. The rough right off the fairway 8 times out of 10 requires a pw to get out of. It is fun to play a course that is still considered a PGA tour quality track. Ryder coming in 2016. Joining now would give you some sweet perks for that upcoming event. As a caddie, the members we ok in my opinion. Some were likable but plenty treated us poorly.

Windsong is also a good course to consider. I have only played there once, but it was in good condition. I felt like the greens rolled so true that I could make any putt within 20 ft and I did! I agree that Windsong requires a little more variety vs Hazeltine. They really are completely different courses. I have heard good things about the new ownership and I think they also just bought the course across the street. I am not sure what they are planning but it would be sweet if they redid the course and had two options.

If you are really interested in Hazeltine I have an acquaintance that is a member out there and I am sure he would golf with you if you are strongly considering joining.

If you ever need a 4th at any of the above mentioned courses shoot me a PM. I haven't been out to Hazeltine or Windsong in about 5 years. I would be happy to cover the guest fee to play with a fellow WRXer. Good luck in making your choice.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply! I do like the fact that Hazeltine would be challenging, I like golf to be a test, but not a beatdown every time haha. Every country club has members who are jerks unfortunately but thankfully I am not like that and I steer clear of those types of people as much as possible.

Windsong certainly is my kind of place in a couple ways and the course looks damn fun, and a little more reasonable in the sense that a good round in probably more likely than Hazeltine. The new owners sister owns the course next to it, Pioneer Creek I believe, and he just bought the land across the street. They say it might be another range or 9 hole course, but it would be awesome if they had 2 18's out there.

The huge downfall of Windsong, as I read the fine print yesterday in the details is that if you leave the club within the 6 years the downstroke is leased over, you are still responsible for the full amount. Something I find pretty asinine honestly. It is pretty tough for a late-twenties junior member to predict where life will take them over the course of 6 years, even if I found a job in another state and had to move, I would still have to pay it, whereas, at Hazeltine you can leave and come back...so, that is a pretty huge factor.

If your acquaintance would be interested in doing that, that would be amazing, they want $300 bucks for a "test round" which is not a huge deal, but I would rather pay half lol.

You would be welcome to golf anytime you would like, paying the guest fee would be appreciated as it gets quite spendy : ). I play alone 90% of the time as my main golf buddy is gone for good and all my other friends don't have the same love of the game as I do. I am always looking for good company to play with. Thanks for the help again!

• 4 months later...

Hey all, just an update, I did in fact join Windsong, after playing the course and being out there a few times to eat and relax, it was an easy choice. Hazeltine is great in its own way, but I don't think the course is better than Windsong, its pretty uninspiring in my opinion. Windsong is all about golf and has more of a getaway or vacation vibe when out there, its a very special place for many reasons to me.

If any of you ever want to play out there this upcoming season, feel free to message me and we can make it happen.

Only 2-3 months left of winter!

[quote name='mp.14' timestamp='1419005322' post='10616727']
Hey all, just an update, I did in fact join Windsong, after playing the course and being out there a few times to eat and relax, it was an easy choice. Hazeltine is great in its own way, but I don't think the course is better than Windsong, its pretty uninspiring in my opinion. Windsong is all about golf and has more of a getaway or vacation vibe when out there, its a very special place for many reasons to me.

If any of you ever want to play out there this upcoming season, feel free to message me and we can make it happen.

[/quote]
Sounds like you made a good choice. Hopefully you can get out more then a couple times in 2015?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1419008776' post='10617017']
[quote name='mp.14' timestamp='1419005322' post='10616727']

[/quote]
Sounds like you made a good choice. Hopefully you can get out more then a couple times in 2015?
[/quote]

Definitely, in the end it was just my kind of place. Very low key, great people and members, no pretentious attitude or people throwing their money around like at Hazeltine. The other huge benefit is I live about 7 minutes from Windsong, I can play in the morning before work or after work, so I shouldn't have a problem getting plenty of golf in!

[quote name='mp.14' timestamp='1419010672' post='10617167']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1419005918' post='10616795']
I've only played a couple private courses my whole life. I'd certainly appreciate it and take you up on it!
[/quote]

Absolutely! I am always looking for good company when golfing. The rates there are reasonable and its an outstanding experience.
[/quote]
Much obliged! I can't remember which course I was headed to when I went past Windsong one time. The gates looked nice. LOL!
I have a few private courses that I have been on the outside looking in and have to play some day. Used to deliver meals on wheels all around Midland Hills.
Used to live in WBL and passed the yacht club all the time as a kid. Live near North Oaks and never been on that one. Uggh. Torture!

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1419021317' post='10617953']
[quote name='mp.14' timestamp='1419010672' post='10617167']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1419005918' post='10616795']
I've only played a couple private courses my whole life. I'd certainly appreciate it and take you up on it!
[/quote]

Absolutely! I am always looking for good company when golfing. The rates there are reasonable and its an outstanding experience.
[/quote]
Much obliged! I can't remember which course I was headed to when I went past Windsong one time. The gates looked nice. LOL!
I have a few private courses that I have been on the outside looking in and have to play some day. Used to deliver meals on wheels all around Midland Hills.
Used to live in WBL and passed the yacht club all the time as a kid. Live near North Oaks and never been on that one. Uggh. Torture!
[/quote]

Not a problem! Part of the fun of being at a club is having others out there to enjoy it as well!

Windsong a fantastic club overall, but the course is definitely the highlight. I have not played Midland before but have heard good things, I grew up in shoreview and was fortunate enough to have a very good friend who was a member at the White Bear Yacht Club and we played there 4-5 times a week, its truly a phenomenal course and I am very fortunate to have been able to play there as frequently as I did. North Oaks is so-so, really nothing special about it in my opinion, many public courses I would rather play instead.

Where do you play at most of the time?

Yeah, N. Oaks is just because you can see part of it from 96 and it piques curiosity as a golfer getting a little glimpse.
Yacht Club I really want to see what a Donald Ross course looks like. Seth Reynor with Midland. Just to sample some of those golden era courses/architects, even though they have seen changes over time.

I'm at Tanners Brook a lot, Links at Northfork, Keller, Manitou. Kind of an east side guy.

Windsong is a great choice. They held the Gopher Invitational for us in the fall, and some elite players didn't break par (including myself, though I'm not considered "elite" in college). When the wind blows it can be really tough. It can be a tough walk on some holes, but it was an awesome design. The food we had was awesome, and ProV1x range balls don't hurt either!

<br />2017 M2 10.5 HZRDUS Black<br />2017 M2 HL HZRDUS Black<br /> 910h Tour AD-DI 85<br />P750 4-PW KBS C-Taper<br />Vokey SM-6<br />Edel E-2 Torque Balance<br />

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1419051175' post='10619823']
Yeah, N. Oaks is just because you can see part of it from 96 and it piques curiosity as a golfer getting a little glimpse.
Yacht Club I really want to see what a Donald Ross course looks like. Seth Reynor with Midland. Just to sample some of those golden era courses/architects, even though they have seen changes over time.

I'm at Tanners Brook a lot, Links at Northfork, Keller, Manitou. Kind of an east side guy.
[/quote]

If you can ever find your way on to white bear, do it. its such a unique and stunning course. not sure if they do this anymore, but they used to open the course up to the public for one day a year, so get on that if that is the case! I used to live right by Tanners and played there quite a bit, its a very nice course, open but certainly challenging, the mosquitoes have been out of control the last couple years though! Keller is also another gem and I have heard the renovations have made it even better than before, im hoping to get out there this year sometime.

[quote name='cfreeman8' timestamp='1419052496' post='10619871']
Windsong is a great choice. They held the Gopher Invitational for us in the fall, and some elite players didn't break par (including myself, though I'm not considered "elite" in college). When the wind blows it can be really tough. It can be a tough walk on some holes, but it was an awesome design. The food we had was awesome, and ProV1x range balls don't hurt either!
[/quote]

I heard that they had the Gopher Invitational there, would have loved to have been able to watch it in person! Did you guys play from the tips? The course dynamic certainly is drastically different from the tips and when the wind blows the course plays probably almost 8000 yards. I love the design of the course, and really the club overall, in how it blends classic feel with modern stlye, it has a good range of challenges and makes you play almost every shot in the bag. The food is excellent out there and i love the pro v1's on the range.

I see you're from Nebraska, the GM at Windsong used to be the GM at Sand Hills I believe, I have always wanted to play that course, I have heard nothing but amazing things.

Not saying you didn't make a good choice, but I think you missed out on Olympic Hills. They have built a brand new golf course slated to open in July. They have Pro VI's on their practice facility also...going to be a great track! Olympic is going to win a ton of awards after it opens. Just a thought.

Chance Favors the Prepared Mind...

[quote name='mp.14' timestamp='1419090853' post='10620785']
[/quote]

I heard that they had the Gopher Invitational there, would have loved to have been able to watch it in person! Did you guys play from the tips? The course dynamic certainly is drastically different from the tips and when the wind blows the course plays probably almost 8000 yards. I love the design of the course, and really the club overall, in how it blends classic feel with modern stlye, it has a good range of challenges and makes you play almost every shot in the bag. The food is excellent out there and i love the pro v1's on the range.

I see you're from Nebraska, the GM at Windsong used to be the GM at Sand Hills I believe, I have always wanted to play that course, I have heard nothing but amazing things.
[/quote]

They pretty much did tip it across the board for the three rounds, except for number 9 the last round. They wanted to make it reachable for a few guys. I was in position to get there and promptly snapped a 3-wood out of bounds! It played suuuuuper long the last day. It blew about 25-35 all day. Really firmed it out as well. It was one of the toughest, most fair tests of golf I've played in tournament golf. Water on the par 3s makes for some nervous tee shots! Number 17 was probably my personal favorite; skinny green with a 190 carry all over water. I think there was only a handful of under par rounds the last day. That's a testament to the course with teams like Cal, Baylor, Minnesota (defending B1G Champions) and other elite teams there. I wasn't too upset and I finished T-30.

Also, you were right about the GM there. Nobody on our team has gotten to Sand Hills yet! Since he was a Nebraska guy he gave us a little booklet with some tricks to the course. Hospitality there was awesome. I just wish I had another year of eligibility so I could go back!

<br />2017 M2 10.5 HZRDUS Black<br />2017 M2 HL HZRDUS Black<br /> 910h Tour AD-DI 85<br />P750 4-PW KBS C-Taper<br />Vokey SM-6<br />Edel E-2 Torque Balance<br />

[quote name='mp.14' timestamp='1419090453' post='10620763']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1419051175' post='10619823']

[/quote]

If you can ever find your way on to white bear, do it. its such a unique and stunning course. not sure if they do this anymore, but they used to open the course up to the public for one day a year, so get on that if that is the case! I used to live right by Tanners and played there quite a bit, its a very nice course, open but certainly challenging, the mosquitoes have been out of control the last couple years though! Keller is also another gem and I have heard the renovations have made it even better than before, im hoping to get out there this year sometime.
[/quote]
I played with a guy who owned a fire suppression company in a tournament that said he was a member at WBYC. I carried our team that day and he invited me to contact him to get out there, which I did, but he never got back to me. I do have an "in" at N Oaks at least in my insurance guy. He's been the club champ many times. Getting a new Jeep in the next week or so here, so I'll hit him up when I talk to him hopefully.

Tanners...yeah. Little swampy. I got the W. Nile this year and avoided it for a while (and was too sick to play for a couple months practically.) Still have rininging in my ears from it. I know I'll never drink from an outdoor water cooler again!

Got out once to Keller this year. Very familiar of course, but it feels different. Wear a hard hat. I love that they took out all the trees, but what was already a very tight dangerous course is an insanely dangerous course now. I didn't play very well at all that day, but I could tell it plays easier now after the re-design. Time will tell. They did a good job. Hopefully they shut it down soon enough to let it heal after all the play it supposedly got.

[quote name='AzPGAPro' timestamp='1419092354' post='10620853']
Not saying you didn't make a good choice, but I think you missed out on Olympic Hills. They have built a brand new golf course slated to open in July. They have Pro VI's on their practice facility also...going to be a great track! Olympic is going to win a ton of awards after it opens. Just a thought.
[/quote]

Interesting, I had always heard good things about Olympic, but did not know they built a new course, do they now have 2 courses or replaced the existing one? I will have to find a way onto that course regardless.

The new owner of Windsong has bought almost all the land surrounding the course and he is planning to do something, possibly another course or a state of the art practice facility. He also had jon fought, one of the original architects, out there this summer to make plans to improve upon the course even more. Either way i do not think I could have gone wrong.

Are you a member at Olympic?

[quote name='cfreeman8' timestamp='1419094242' post='10620957']
[/quote]

[/quote]

They pretty much did tip it across the board for the three rounds, except for number 9 the last round. They wanted to make it reachable for a few guys. I was in position to get there and promptly snapped a 3-wood out of bounds! It played suuuuuper long the last day. It blew about 25-35 all day. Really firmed it out as well. It was one of the toughest, most fair tests of golf I've played in tournament golf. Water on the par 3s makes for some nervous tee shots! Number 17 was probably my personal favorite; skinny green with a 190 carry all over water. I think there was only a handful of under par rounds the last day. That's a testament to the course with teams like Cal, Baylor, Minnesota (defending B1G Champions) and other elite teams there. I wasn't too upset and I finished T-30.

Also, you were right about the GM there. Nobody on our team has gotten to Sand Hills yet! Since he was a Nebraska guy he gave us a little booklet with some tricks to the course. Hospitality there was awesome. I just wish I had another year of eligibility so I could go back!
[/quote]

Thats awesome, it doesnt suprise me that they put it at the tips as I know they want to host more tournaments and they probably wanted to showcase how difficult it can be!

Number 9 is so hard to reach in 2 even if you hit it 350 down the middle, also you can certainly pay the price if you go for it in 2! I agree, the course is very tough but certainly fair if you play your shots right. That is awesome that the course proved to be tough for such a quality field of players, that was a big factor in joining there, I love a course that is a constant challenge. Jim the GM is a first class guy along with Matt the head pro and everyone else there.

Are you still in minnesota? Or back in Nebraska?

[quote name='mp.14' timestamp='1419102242' post='10621445']
[quote name='cfreeman8' timestamp='1419094242' post='10620957']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats awesome, it doesnt suprise me that they put it at the tips as I know they want to host more tournaments and they probably wanted to showcase how difficult it can be!

Number 9 is so hard to reach in 2 even if you hit it 350 down the middle, also you can certainly pay the price if you go for it in 2! I agree, the course is very tough but certainly fair if you play your shots right. That is awesome that the course proved to be tough for such a quality field of players, that was a big factor in joining there, I love a course that is a constant challenge. Jim the GM is a first class guy along with Matt the head pro and everyone else there.

Are you still in minnesota? Or back in Nebraska?
[/quote]

Back in Nebraska, one semester of eligibility left for the Huskers, then hopefully graduation! We have a few family friends in Minneapolis, but don't get up there as much as we'd like. The gopher hospitality always treats us well. Great area with some seriously-underrated golf!