2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Yet another 300 yard wrx driver

Not everyone one will probably agree with me, but on those delicate chips and putts keep your grip pressure really light, I am just an average golfer, but this has allowed me to hit higher softer chips that stop much sooner. Also visualizing where you want the ball to land and how much it should roll out is a must.

Welcome to GOLFWRX

Ping G Elements Chrome 5F4
Srixon F65 17 Stock Stiff

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 Stock Recoil

Titleist AP2 716 DG SL TI S300 4-PW

Titleist SM5 Tour Chrome 50/08 F, 54/10 M and SM7 58/14 K Grind S300

Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Indy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Hellstorm' timestamp='1411179586' post='10151015']
I am going to get the Game Golf thing for next year, just so I can see how far I hit these drives. I am inconsistent though....I can hit one 280, the next 315. I am not good enough to get the sweet sppot all the time
[/quote]

I am by no means either. I can get on hot streaks were its the same but van have plenty of miss hits as well. The thing I've found is if your miss hits aren't a disaster pushed right maybe drew a little to much your OK bc you might be in the rough but you are only say 80 yards out. Now if you are snap hooking them or power slicing them that's another story. I went through both just have to keep working to get that little white ball to go straight....ish at least

Looks like the post retort maxed out. Your short game will come with practice, just keep crushing everything else. Just ask any Xer :wave:[size=4] . [/size]

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

[quote name='LaBraeGolfer' timestamp='1411179784' post='10151031']
Not everyone one will probably agree with me, but on those delicate chips and putts keep your grip pressure really light, I am just an average golfer, but this has allowed me to hit higher softer chips that stop much sooner. Also visualizing where you want the ball to land and how much it should roll out is a must.

Welcome to GOLFWRX
[/quote]

Thank you for the reply I'll keep that in mind next time I go out. I try to keep my grip a little softer when hitting those shots in reality I might not be. Took me a awhile to let go of the death grip going after a longer shot

[quote name='Qqq123xx' timestamp='1411180394' post='10151105']
Looks like the post retort maxed out. Your short game will come with practice, just keep crushing everything else. Just ask any Xer :wave:[size=4] . [/size]
[/quote]

Thanks buddy. I plan on just doing that. The long game is where I started to focus and I'll just shift more attention to the short game...but dam there's nothing like connecting on a long bomb just like in baseball/softball

[quote name='roundersmitty' timestamp='1411178774' post='10150957']
Most courses I play the markers are not always accurate. My free golf gps app is more accurate....within a yard or two of a good laser when I was out with a friend.
[/quote]

I tried an app once and it was saying I was 80 yards out and I look at it and think no way this is past 35-40 yards . maybe one day I'll invest in one of those laser devices, but for now I'll just go off feel. I've already spent a ton on clubs and green fees just getting into this thing. Bad thing about golf its not cheap!!

[quote name='Qqq123xx' timestamp='1411180394' post='10151105']
[/quote]

I'll keep doing that for sure and work on the short stuff for sure. Just figured I'd start on the long shots first and work my way in. I find it easier that way if I tries to polish it all at once I feel I'd be behinfpd where I am already

Maybe it's the course I'm playing. It's 6800 yards not sure if that's short by your standards ? Don't play a lot of different courses but others haven't seemed any longer. Anyway course has mostly par 4s between 365-395 so in theory if everything goes right should be a drive then a wedge. I'd say I get on in two about 70% of the time but would like that number up and would like to do more than just get on and learn to control the ball more to stick a lot closer to the pin then roll out 10 feet past. That's essentially what I was getting at. Maybe I'm being overzealous but I'm a competitive person and always working to get better.

Welcome! You'll find a lot of big hitters relative to the average here. As mentioned before, big drives and long hits are sweet, but it's what you do with them that makes or breaks a card. Also, I'd be a total hypocrite if I didn't mention that my short game could use a bit of tuning as well.

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

[quote name='driverwedge' timestamp='1411264069' post='10155023']
Welcome! You'll find a lot of big hitters relative to the average here. As mentioned before, big drives and long hits are sweet, but it's what you do with them that makes or breaks a card. Also, I'd be a total hypocrite if I didn't mention that my short game could use a bit of tuning as well.
[/quote]

You hit it longer than 300 yards though...I've seen you do it. :-)

At 6'4 235 you should be hitting it 300+. Golf is such a fun and challenging game. I have been blowing up in tournaments lately even though I am shooting around par in a non torunament setting. You should start playing competitively, takes the game to a whole other level and will make you realize what you really need to practice

[quote name='cb24' timestamp='1411272873' post='10155787']
At 6'4 235 you should be hitting it 300+. Golf is such a fun and challenging game. I have been blowing up in tournaments lately even though I am shooting around par in a non torunament setting. You should start playing competitively, takes the game to a whole other level and will make you realize what you really need to practice
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I've thought about doing that but I won't feel comfortable doing that until I can shot at least even par on every course or under. Maybe I'm just dreaming watching all these -5 -6 rounds on TV I'd feel embarrassed at this point playing w people shooting that and I'm sitting 4 over. Some day maybe :)

[quote name='Titleist 670' timestamp='1411297486' post='10156313']
You haven't been playing golf a year and you hit it farther than most PGA pros and have a better GIR % than all but maybe 4 or 5 PGA pros on a course just under 7,000 yards?

If that is the case you should be hitting the mini-tours in the near future.
[/quote]
I know I haven't been playing long, but honestly to hit the ball or any type of ball far has never been a problem for me. I still play softball and hit them out on 400 ft fences. But I highly doubt you will see me on TV soon lol. Those guys do that for a living and can tune everything else out. Put a crowd around me much less a TV on you I'd probably duff every shot :)

[quote name='newbie78' timestamp='1411305442' post='10156615']
[quote name='Titleist 670' timestamp='1411297486' post='10156313']
You haven't been playing golf a year and you hit it farther than most PGA pros and have a better GIR % than all but maybe 4 or 5 PGA pros on a course just under 7,000 yards?

If that is the case you should be hitting the mini-tours in the near future.
[/quote]
I know I haven't been playing long, but honestly to hit the ball or any type of ball far has never been a problem for me. I still play softball and hit them out on 400 ft fences. But I highly doubt you will see me on TV soon lol. Those guys do that for a living and can tune everything else out. Put a crowd around me much less a TV on you I'd probably duff every shot :)
[/quote]

I'm not questioning the legitimacy of distances.

But if you're only playing 3 times a week and hitting the range once or twice, and you have 300+ yard talent and hit GIR at a rate with the best players on earth, and it's only your first year playing, your talent level for golf must be insanely high and I would consider going the professional route if I were you.

[quote name='newbie78' timestamp='1411340532' post='10158891']
Wow really I thought I was playing a ton, especially with working a full time job and paying for green fees. I want your life if you can get out a lot more than that !!!
[/quote]

I've played six times this summer.

My point is that to go from a beginner to 4 handicap without playing more is a big accomplishment - if you are able to hit it the distance you do, have a better GIR % than most pros, while playing a fraction of the time they do and improving at such a rapid rate, you are a rare talent who may want to consider playing professionally.

Wow really I thought I was playing a ton, especially with working a full time job and paying for green fees. I want your life if you can get out a lot more than that !!!
[/quote]

You are blessed to have those skills/innate talent. Keep it up, and just see where it goes. :-)

[quote name='Titleist 670' timestamp='1411345211' post='10159243']
[/quote]

I've played six times this summer.

My point is that to go from a beginner to 4 handicap without playing more is a big accomplishment - if you are able to hit it the distance you do, have a better GIR % than most pros, while playing a fraction of the time they do and improving at such a rapid rate, you are a rare talent who may want to consider playing professionally.
[/quote]

Hmmm well never really thought of it that way. That would be a dream of mine to play a sport professionally, wanted it to be baseball but didn't pan out. Bad news is I have bills to pay so unless I find myself looking like a pro every time I go out not a chance, yes I have only been playing for a short time so who knows I'd be in heaven if it all worked out that way!!

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1411345447' post='10159271']
[/quote]

You are blessed to have those skills/innate talent. Keep it up, and just see where it goes. :-)

Thanks I definitely will. I might have some natural abilities but if I find something I really do want to excel in I put in a lot of effort. I thought from one of the previous posts he thought I wasnt. I that dam but that's all I can do while working everyday
[/quote]

[quote name='newbie78' timestamp='1411347857' post='10159525']
[/quote]

Thanks I definitely will. I might have some natural abilities but if I find something I really do want to excel in I put in a lot of effort. I thought from one of the previous posts he thought I wasnt. I that dam but that's all I can do while working everyday
[/quote]
[/quote]

You can only do what you can do. I remember going to graduate school while I worked full-time. I had no time for anything else. And, there will be certain people who will always give you a hard time no matter what. Just ignore them and go about your business. :-)

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1411352442' post='10159999']
[quote name='newbie78' timestamp='1411347857' post='10159525']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

You can only do what you can do. I remember goin

g to graduate school while I worked full-time. I had no time for anything else. And, there will be certain people who will always give you a hard time no matter what. Just ignore them and go about your business. :-)
[/quote]

Very true can only do what you can do. Went down to watch my boys whip the titans today. I guess I could give up my season tickets to play golf on Sundays ahhh nah!!

So I went out and played a much shorter course today so I could work on my irons. The course is much tighter than the one I play normally. So here is what my yardage on the irons worked out to be just thought I'd post BC an earlier response asked what distances do you hit the irons...
4 iron 250
5 iron 225
6 iron 210
7 iron ? Didn't use that club
8 iron 185
9 iron 175
PW 155
50 degree 135
60 degree 100

• 3 weeks later...

[/quote][quote name='driverwedge' timestamp='1411264069' post='10155023']
[/quote]I think it was Harvey Penick who said 'It is a game of how near, not how far'.

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1411168172' post='10150075']
[quote name='newbie78' timestamp='1411167994' post='10150059']
Hello just wanted to say I'm looking forward to hopefully gaining lots of useful information from this site to improve my game. Just stumbled upon this site googling 300 yard drives and I was blown away by all the disbelief that this was not possible unless you were a pgs tour pro. It appears I'll fit right in herd and can add to the list of wrx'ers that can drive the ball 300+ I was very tempted to just go ahead and throw out 350 haha! Anyhow yes my short game needs work and that's mostly what I'll be looking for here. Just a little insight on me started golfing this year at the age of 36 I'm 6'4 235 lbs. I've attached a pic I took off the monitor at the local golf galaxy just so you all can check out my numbers and see if they add up. I'm glad to be here
[/quote]

Welcome to the club sir
[/quote]Welcome to the forum Newbs

You Guys suck!!!

I'm kiddin :)

Enjoy the board!!

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Zpilot' timestamp='1413154010' post='10275645']
[/quote]I think it was Harvey Penick who said 'It is a game of how near, not how far'.
[/quote]Very True, though when you combine far with near, and makin some putts, that can be deadly, lol.

I'm with Mr. Penick as long as one can hit it "far enough," lol

That's where I am, though my Bro is one of those bombers and I'll tell ya, comin in with an 8-LW beats the hell out of a 5-9i, LMAO

I hope that you're having a nice season ZP :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='newbie78' timestamp='1411596466' post='10177593']
So I went out and played a much shorter course today so I could work on my irons. The course is much tighter than the one I play normally. So here is what my yardage on the irons worked out to be just thought I'd post BC an earlier response asked what distances do you hit the irons...
4 iron 250
5 iron 225
6 iron 210
7 iron ? Didn't use that club
8 iron 185
9 iron 175
PW 155
50 degree 135
60 degree 100
[/quote]

Hi Newbie.

I'm also a pretty new golfer. Got my initial Handicap at 5.5 (about 4 on the USGA handicap system) , dropped it to 5.1 then tore my achilles (not playing golf) :) Back at it now though. I also drive it about 300 yards on a halfway decent shot (launch monitor measured as I own one and use it every day) but I get around PGA Tour average distance on my irons whereas you're miles past them. I take it those are carry numbers? Just out of curiosity, what sort of contact/spin are you getting on those iron numbers?

I only ask because, for example, on a pure strike you'd expect to be getting about 8000rpm on an 8 iron (somewhere in that region anyway). If you are and are hitting it at the sort of trajectory a tour pro would hit it - maybe 18 or 19 degrees - then you'd be having to be getting about 135mph ball speed next to a tour pro getting 115 if you were spinning the ball the same. My thought is you probably aren't getting the spin you would want from those clubs if you're getting that sort of distance. Could be wrong but it's likely. Alternatively, if those are total distances and you're not spinning it as much, that makes more sense - you're getting more flight as it's not spinning as much and it's rolling a bit on 'touch down'.

I was demo'ing delofting a club to get distance to my old man the other day (he hits his maybe 110), if I do I can get my PW out to about 155 yards carry. But if I do I'm just delofting it and turning it into close to an 8 iron and in doing it I'm losing the spin I may want with that club.

Just a thought, you might be making life difficult for yourself in the future. I was out on the practice area at my club with a guy who plays off plus 3 (again CONGU so equates to maybe plus 4.5 under USGA handicap) and believe me he wasn't hitting his irons anything like as far as your numbers above. What I'm getting at is you may be giving up control to get distance and with your irons do you really want to do that?

Btw, I know EVERYONE drives the ball 300 yards on here :) so will post a couple of vids showing a drive on my setup at home (obviously in nil wind) and my 'swish' (ie no ball) with the driver (you'll need to put the sound up) to give an idea of club head speed. Why post them? Because I've been working hard on my balance and shot shape and I'm now pretty happy with both. What my coach has drilled into me is that hitting it hard isn't the trick; it's hitting it hard while staying in balance. Also posted to show that us Newbies can hit it past 300 yards if we want to :)

btw what shafts are you using? I was struggling a tad with regular stiff shafts but got fit into Project X 6.5s and have found them great.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k34XEV4wEko"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k34XEV4wEko[/url]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrikgGCQg9c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrikgGCQg9c[/url]

And I know I'm going bald, I just turned 40 so am officially old - I'm allowed to :)