2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Orlando Course conditions for trip

adambommb29

In an Orlando forum someone recently said, "Stay away from Champions Gate, really in poor condition." That got my buddies and I thinking that we need to do a little more investigating before locking in our schedule. We are traveling to Orlando in about a month and are planning six rounds in three days.

Day one - Two rounds at Falcon's Fire

Day two - Two rounds at Celebration

Day three - A round at each of the Champions Gate courses

The other courses that were in contention were Crooked Cat and Panther Lake at OCN and maybe Southern Dunes. Southern Dunes is a course that we have always read about but we didn't really condsider because of all the homes on the course. It seems to routinelyy get really high marks though. Any reviews, recommendations and updates on course condtions would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if your playing the same courses twice each day to save money with the replay rate or if you would be open to driving very short distances to near by courses. But, Celebration and Falcon's Fire are about a 5 minute drive from each other, so if you wanted to add some more courses to your trip you could absolutely play these the same day. Haven't played Falcons fire in a couple months, but it was in great shape then. Celebration is in fantastic shape currently.

I highly recommend OCN for you guys only because they have 2 courses, so you aren't replaying the same course. Both are in fantastic shape. Always are, and are great courses without any houses in site. Always my top recommendation for people coming to Orlando.

I played the newly redesigned Tom Fazio course at the Four Seasons on Disney property a few weeks ago and wow the course was amazing. Incredible conditions. You will not believe you are on Disney property. The hotel can only be seen from a few holes. Otherwise, you will not see a hotel, house, or road from anywhere on the course. Nothing, but nature and a fantastic golf course. If your looking for a second round The Waldorf is also on Disney property and has a great Rees Jones designed course that is always in perfect shape. That's a pricey day, but considering the courses you listed I don't think its much more. If your looking for a little cheaper option for one of your rounds my favorite of the actual Disney owned courses is the Palm. Also, recently redesigned and in good shape.

I cant speak to the conditions at Championsgate, but IMHO I don't think the courses are worth the incredibly high green fees, Especially if what you say is true and the courses aren't in good shape. I do like the International but will only play it off season when the rates come down. I am not a fan of the National.

As far as Southern Dunes goes don't let the fact that their are houses on the course deter you. Its one of the best courses in the Orlando area.

Thanks for response. We have gone to Falcons Fire on a couple of different occasions and have always enjoyed our rounds there. Last year was the first time we went to Celebration and it got high marks from our group as well. We usually stay at one place and play there all day in an attempt to get the replay rates, although some places make you pay full price in order to guarantee the afternoon tee time.

We have played the two courses at OCN a few times and we absolutley love them. What we don't like is that since the ownership changed a couple of years ago the service took a bit of a dip. A couple of things got under our skin...like when paying well over $100 per round there it hurts to be charged another $10 for range balls. Also, the lunch went from a sit-down with menus to being forced to pick from a pretty gross buffet. It was the little things that made us decide to take a year off from OCN. Although the courses are so nice it has led us to possibly reconsider.

We haven't played [color=#282828]Tom Fazio course at the Four Seasons or the Waldorf course. Maybe we will consider those courses at some point.[/color]

[color=#282828]We are staying in a villa on the grounds at Champions Gate, which was a contributing factor to us possibly playing there on the last day. The idea of sleeping in a little and having two courses on site was appealing. You echoed other reviews I have heard from others about the International vs the National course. I hope to hear about current course conditions there.[/color]

[color=#282828]If we don't play Southern Dunes this trip then I think we will definitely need to get out there soon. Everyone raves about that place. I can't wait to see what it's all about. Thanks again for all your info. [/color][color=#282828] [/color]

Curious on the conditions as we are scheduled to play 36 there on 1/18 and will switch it if the conditions are not pristine.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Fuji Ventus Blue HB 9x
Srixon MKII  Black Chrome ZX7 4-PW with Fuji Axiom 125x
Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS $ Taper S Flex
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

OCN was outstanding when we played both courses in October.... best the course had been in years....Crooked Cat had faster greens IMO.

switched Champ. Gate to OCN- teetimesusa said the conditions at OCN are outstanding.

[quote name='FLGOLFJUNKIE' timestamp='1420850005' post='10718741']
OCN is pristine as they're getting ready for the show traffic, although it's ALWAYS in good shape. Celebration, Falcons Fire, Disney courses, Tranquilo, Waldorf and the Ritz Carlton are going to be top notch, all in pristine shape.
[/quote]

Thx... We are playing the brand new Champions Gate Country Club (the 17th is opening day), OCN, Tranquilo, and Shingle Creek. Can't wait to escape the cold weather here in the Northeast.

Not to hijack, but we're heading out Feb 5th-6th for 18 on the 5th and 36 on the 6th. Apparently the end of January is when the majority of the prices start skyrocketing. I'm planning to do 18 at SouthernDunes on Thursday (5th), and that'll be $110. Then head over to OCN to play both of those on Friday ($220, all day rate).

Wallet is feeling a little lighter.....

Call teetimesusa.com and see if they can get you a "package" rate.

Pearls,

Let us know what the new Championsgate private is like. I am booked at World Woods Pine barrens and Rolling Oaks, OCN PL, and Golden Bear Keene's Pointe coming up.

We were going to book the Championsgate private but there wasn't enough info available yet. Not even a scorecard. The teetimesusa owners said it was like carpet, but our group was worried about new greens being like concrete. I look forward to hearing an update.

[quote name='m-paschal' timestamp='1420928544' post='10723497']
Pearls,

Let us know what the new Championsgate private is like. I am booked at World Woods Pine barrens and Rolling Oaks, OCN PL, and Golden Bear Keene's Pointe coming up.

We were going to book the Championsgate private but there wasn't enough info available yet. Not even a scorecard. The teetimesusa owners said it was like carpet, but our group was worried about new greens being like concrete. I look forward to hearing an update.
[/quote]

will do!

If you haven't played Southern Dunes, you really really should. Way superior to Falcon's fire or Championsgate, especially the national. Many think its also better than OCN but OCN is in fantastic shape. Service has improved there quite a bit and you can have lunch from a menu (done that several times in the past few months).

Till late February or March, Grande Pines is an option as well. Falcons fire has a tendency in Jan-Mar to get slow if you start play after 10am (5-6 + hours are not unusual.)

Waldorf Astoria is decent solid track. Tranquilo is in very good shape unless it rains then its a bog and very sloppy. but its really not that strong a layout in terms of skill required.

Like others has said, Grand Cypress New is a fun layout.

[quote name='adambommb29' timestamp='1420733425' post='10708709']
Thanks for response. We have gone to Falcons Fire on a couple of different occasions and have always enjoyed our rounds there. Last year was the first time we went to Celebration and it got high marks from our group as well. We usually stay at one place and play there all day in an attempt to get the replay rates, although some places make you pay full price in order to guarantee the afternoon tee time.

We have played the two courses at OCN a few times and we absolutley love them. What we don't like is that since the ownership changed a couple of years ago the service took a bit of a dip. A couple of things got under our skin...like when paying well over $100 per round there it hurts to be charged another $10 for range balls. Also, the lunch went from a sit-down with menus to being forced to pick from a pretty gross buffet. It was the little things that made us decide to take a year off from OCN. Although the courses are so nice it has led us to possibly reconsider.

We haven't played [color=#282828]Tom Fazio course at the Four Seasons or the Waldorf course. Maybe we will consider those courses at some point.[/color]

[color=#282828]We are staying in a villa on the grounds at Champions Gate, which was a contributing factor to us possibly playing there on the last day. The idea of sleeping in a little and having two courses on site was appealing. You echoed other reviews I have heard from others about the International vs the National course. I hope to hear about current course conditions there.[/color]

[color=#282828]If we don't play Southern Dunes this trip then I think we will definitely need to get out there soon. Everyone raves about that place. I can't wait to see what it's all about. Thanks again for all your info. [/color][color=#282828] [/color]
[/quote]

Adam, here's something to consider. Very close to Champions Gate grounds is Reunion Resort. There are 3 tracks there; Palmer - Watson - Nicklaus. I've not played any of them but we are stay at Reunion for the first time this year and playing two of them (I forget which two). That might be a good option for you to not replay the same courses, and have a day very close to your home base. We book everything through Teetimesusa and it's nuts how cheap it is when you package lodging and golf together....good luck!

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

[quote name='Togatown22' timestamp='1421259416' post='10745937']

[/quote]

Adam, here's something to consider. Very close to Champions Gate grounds is Reunion Resort. There are 3 tracks there; Palmer - Watson - Nicklaus. I've not played any of them but we are stay at Reunion for the first time this year and playing two of them (I forget which two). That might be a good option for you to not replay the same courses, and have a day very close to your home base. We book everything through Teetimesusa and it's nuts how cheap it is when you package lodging and golf together....good luck!
[/quote]

If doing Reunion stay away from the Nicklaus course- it was in terrible shape when we played it in October- algae all over the place, liners showing in the bunkers, etc. To make matters worse a tournament was being held there and they got to pick the pin locations and they did like a Sup. Revenge type of thing with ridiculous pin locations that made it impossible. Watson and Palmer courses were much better in terms of shape/conditions.

[quote name='mwmgolfx' timestamp='1421258320' post='10745849']
If you haven't played Southern Dunes, you really really should. Way superior to Falcon's fire or Championsgate, especially the national. Many think its also better than OCN but OCN is in fantastic shape. Service has improved there quite a bit and you can have lunch from a menu (done that several times in the past few months).

Till late February or March, Grande Pines is an option as well. Falcons fire has a tendency in Jan-Mar to get slow if you start play after 10am (5-6 + hours are not unusual.)

Waldorf Astoria is decent solid track. Tranquilo is in very good shape unless it rains then its a bog and very sloppy. but its really not that strong a layout in terms of skill required.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I have heard a lot of good things about the courses you recommended. We did give some consideration to Waldorf Asotria and Tranquilo, but the prices were a little too steep for us. We decided to not play Champions Gate and have since updated our itinerary. We are now planning on:

Day One: Two rounds at Falcons Fire
Day Two: Two rounds at Celebration
Day Three: Two rounds at Southern Dunes

We can't book Falcon's Fire until we are 30 days out so we have booked OCN to play a round on CC and PL if we have any trouble getting on Falcons Fire. We like staying at one place for the day so that we have a chance to go in and have a relaxing lunch before playing the afternoon round. Thanks for all the input.

[quote name='adambommb29' timestamp='1421338226' post='10751275']
[quote name='mwmgolfx' timestamp='1421258320' post='10745849']

[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I have heard a lot of good things about the courses you recommended. We did give some consideration to Waldorf Asotria and Tranquilo, but the prices were a little too steep for us. We decided to not play Champions Gate and have since updated our itinerary. We are now planning on:

Day One: Two rounds at Falcons Fire
Day Two: Two rounds at Celebration
Day Three: Two rounds at Southern Dunes

We can't book Falcon's Fire until we are 30 days out so we have booked OCN to play a round on CC and PL if we have any trouble getting on Falcons Fire. We like staying at one place for the day so that we have a chance to go in and have a relaxing lunch before playing the afternoon round. Thanks for all the input.
[/quote]

I didn't really like FF. If you can, I would swap it out for 36 at Orange County National.

[quote name='pearls24' timestamp='1421265412' post='10746537']
[quote name='Togatown22' timestamp='1421259416' post='10745937']

[/quote]

[/quote]

If doing Reunion stay away from the Nicklaus course- it was in terrible shape when we played it in October- algae all over the place, liners showing in the bunkers, etc. To make matters worse a tournament was being held there and they got to pick the pin locations and they did like a Sup. Revenge type of thing with ridiculous pin locations that made it impossible. Watson and Palmer courses were much better in terms of shape/conditions.
[/quote]

Tip on Reunion much appreciated!
Several others have mentioned that the Nicklaus was their least favorite by a wide margin as well so we booked Watson at 7:50am followed by Palmer at 12:55pm.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago