2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

7 year old is 51' - club feedback

Yelwar

Long time lurker in these forums and finally had the need for an account.

I made the mistake a couple of years ago of buying junior clubs that were way to large for my son, I think I got him the clubs that were in the 9-12 range. I guess I was thinking golf would be a casual activity for us so it wouldn't hurt if they were large and he could grow into them, or I was just an idiot. It was quickly evident they were too large so last year he used some old and hand me down U.S. Kids clubs that we had. Fast forward to now, we've played a lot of golf, he's gotten pretty good and it is obvious the clubs are holding him back. Since he decided to stop playing baseball this year and focus on golf I want to set him up for success by providing proper equipment.

I've done a lot of research and the options I've come up with...

Clubs that are in the 5-8 year old range

- E.g. Callaway XJ series

- Seems that he is on the tail end of these clubs sizes, most likely a 1 year solution

- Some cheaper sets are available

Clubs that are i the 9-12 year old rage

- Still too large for him

Custom fit

- E.g. Flynn

- Probably very good clubs and good fit

- Relatively expense

Ping Moxie G

- The size of these clubs are a little bigger than the 5-8 sets but smaller than the 9-12 sets.

- Seem to fit nicely in the middle

- More expensive than big box sets but possibly better quality

- Potentially a 1/2 year solution

The Ping Moxie line have some positive reviews on here and other sites, but I don't see any recent reviews. I'm curious if anyone has any recent opinion of them and if they are really better than some of the cheaper sets. Flynn seems like a good option but also on the higher end of the price spectrum. Lastly I assume that my thinking that clubs that don't fit properly although playable will be doing him a disservice from both a performance and fundamental standpoint.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just recectly bought my 7 year old a Ping Moxie set. He is 49" tall and loves them. I would highly recommend them. Also, I noticed the other day PGA superstore by my house had $50 off a set so that'll save you some dough.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1426691457' post='11166285']
I just recectly bought my 7 year old a Ping Moxie set. He is 49" tall and loves them. I would highly recommend them. Also, I noticed the other day PGA superstore by my house had $50 off a set so that'll save you some dough.
[/quote]

Good to hear. Was he coming from another set of clubs or was this his first? Our original set was a big box set (Dunlop I think). I bought a Callaway XJ wedge last summer for him and you could see a real difference in quality, more like a real club. I expect Ping Moxie is very similar in quality but interested in your thoughts.

I can find them for $219 right now online, that's pretty good.

[quote name='Yelwar' timestamp='1426691865' post='11166325']
[quote name='Olson12' timestamp='1426691457' post='11166285']
[/quote]

Good to hear. Was he coming from another set of clubs or was this his first? Our original set was a big box set (Dunlop I think). I bought a Callaway XJ wedge last summer for him and you could see a real difference in quality, more like a real club. I expect Ping Moxie is very similar in quality but interested in your thoughts.

I can find them for $219 right now online, that's pretty good.
[/quote]

He had a previous set I bought on ebay. There is a very noticeable difference in quality.

Ping G430 Max 10k

Ping G425 Max 5 Wood
Ping G430 3 Hybrid
Titleist T100 4-P
Vokey SM9 50* 54* 60* 
Ping Oslo

My son is 7 and is 52" tall. He has a mixed bag right now but I am currently looking at the US Kids Tour Series version. He currently has the 9 iron Tour Series that he absolutely hits terrific. US Kids does a great job of defining the proper length based off height requirements. They are expensive but i think the tour series clubs are great quality.

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: PXG Gen 6 22* 4 - Tour AD 95x
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Steelfiber Reserve 110cw
Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 54* / Taylormade Hi Toe 58* - KBS TGI
Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

A +1 for US Kids. My daughter (8 yo) has been playing them since she was 5. Whats nice is their length increment in 3" intervals, I believe. She just recently graduated from the Ultralight Series to their Tour Series. Solid set of clubs. The driver is also a 440cc TI. Wish I had equipment like that when I was a kid.

I would have ordered the US kids or Flynn. I am heavy into Jr. golf as I currently have a 9 year old son and a teen age daughter that plays. US Kids and Flynn just fit the kids better. When you go out on the US kids tour all of the better players are using the Flynn or the US kids. They do for 2 reasons. A. They are better clubs than the major manufacturers. B. You can purchase every club (5 Iron thru SW) from Flynn and US Kids. You cannot through the major manufacturers.

With that said, I would't purchase US Kids woods. I would purchase adult used woods with a senior flex and have them cut down to the US kids specs.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Clubs arrived and we've had chance to use them. The fit was much better than what he was previously using. Quality wise I was very impressed with the set. The bag is basically a bag, the stand mechanism on it is not the best but I think it will hold up well. The clubs seem very good quality to me. The driver/wood have outstanding finish on them and the titanium gives him a little more pop on his drives. The irons have perimeter weighting and have a nice solid sound to good strikes. I was jealous of the little putter that comes with the set. Hopefully someone in the future will find this useful.

To the previous poster, I'm sure the Flynn and US kids are both nice sets. My top concern was quality and fit which the Ping Moxie G seem to satisfy at a little lower cost. Just like with adults, it's more important how you hit it than it is what equipment you're using.

[color=#222222]Until seeing this thread, I didn't realize anything like this existed. I have a 3 year old daughter that loves to watch golf with me. When I chip and putt around the house/yard, she has her plastic clubs she hits nerf balls with.[/color]
[color=#222222][size="3"] [/size][/color]
[color=#222222]Within minutes of looking up the US Kids Golf website, I bought her the pink USKG "first club" putter. I can't wait to bring her to the range and teach her. Hopefully by age 4 she will want another club or 2 to add to her "bag".[/color]
[color=#222222][size="3"] [/size][/color]
[color=#222222]One happy dad here thanks for this thread and info![/color]

TaylorMade R11
PING G20 15° 3 wood
PING Karsten 22° 4 hybrid
PING Karsten 5-PW UW
PING Glide 54°, 58°
Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 V-Line

[quote name='Hammy1808' timestamp='1427139660' post='11199219']
[color=#222222]Until seeing this thread, I didn't realize anything like this existed. I have a 3 year old daughter that loves to watch golf with me. When I chip and putt around the house/yard, she has her plastic clubs she hits nerf balls with.[/color]

[color=#222222]Within minutes of looking up the US Kids Golf website, I bought her the pink USKG "first club" putter. I can't wait to bring her to the range and teach her. Hopefully by age 4 she will want another club or 2 to add to her "bag".[/color]

[/quote]

Best sport in the world for a girl to play. 30% of female college scholarships go unused every year. I have a 15 year old daughter that didn't start until she was 11.5. Awesome for you.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='heavy_hitter' timestamp='1427312444' post='11214747']

[/quote]

Best sport in the world for a girl to play. 30% of female college scholarships go unused every year. I have a 15 year old daughter that didn't start until she was 11.5. Awesome for you.
[/quote]Can I ask where you got that stat from? I have heard it before, but I have a hard time believing it.

[quote name='Noles' timestamp='1428940194' post='11347933']
[quote name='heavy_hitter' timestamp='1427312444' post='11214747']

[/quote]

[/quote]Can I ask where you got that stat from? I have heard it before, but I have a hard time believing it.
[/quote]

It is something I have heard before.

I believe I read it somehwere in this blog, which is dated, but very good none the less. http://www.girlsgolfcollegescholarships.com/2012/01/golf-scholarships-for-girls.html

My personal findings in researching colleges are that several 100's go unused every year. The biggest reason is coaches don't recruit kids except at the Top D1 Schools. It is the golfer and it's parents that have to recruit the schools. NAIA, DII, and JUCO's just don't have the financial resources to recruit.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='rodiggs' timestamp='1439005505' post='12099534']
My 8 year old daughter been using the girls Callaway set this year. I'm in search of more options for her. She likes the U.S. Kids for some of her clubs.
[/quote]

US Kids. My nephew has Callaway and they are toys.