2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Golf Art, Posters & Photography - what's hanging on your walls ?

One of my favourite threads on here is the one about Golf Books, and on a slight change of tack I thought it might also be interesting to see what golf-related art and photos people have hanging on their walls !

I'll kick things off with the pics I have in my office. Nothing of any value, just a few posters/prints that I had framed, plus a few prizes from various World Hickory Opens.

First up is the obvious one :

Ben Hogan 1-Iron:

This one is in my line-of-sight all day. Best golf photograph ever in my book.

Then #2 is a Hogan swing sequence. i bought these as individual prints and then cut down the border to mount them all in sequence. My wife says I picked the wrong colour for the mount, and she's probably right.

My third (and final!) Hogan homage is an old Hogan advertising poster, a redundant slogan for a few years and now thanks to Terry Kohler it's current again! Incidentally I saw on their facebook page that they've had the first guy to order the new irons in every loft option.

Moving on to hickory golf, and if you like hickory, then you've really got to have Bobby Jones somewhere, so here he is driving off the tee at St Andrews in 1927:

And 5th and 6th, I have items I won in the handicap competitions at the World Hickory Open - #5 is titled "First Tee at Carnoustie" and is a very nice sepia drawing by an artist called John Stuart - print #133/500 apparently!

And finally, #6, a lovely print by the late lamented Hugh Dodd. "A Winter Foursome" is the 4th in a seasonal series that Hugh painted. 4 middle-aged guys huddled in a half way hut as it pours with rain, with the flag on the hole they are on bent about 20 degrees off upright in the stiff wind. No doubt they are telling jokes, smoking pipes, drinking whisky ... we've all been there I guess !

So there we are ... that's whats on my walls anyway!

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NIce. My golfing art is all in books rather than on the wall - but I love the Jules Alexander book that your Hogan sequence came from. The other photography that I particularly enjoy is Henry Cotton's - as seen in This Game of Golf and My Golfing Album. That Hugh Dodd print looks nice too. Dunno about the title though - looks very like my childhood summers in Ayrshire!

Great stuff Blade Junkie! Those shots bring back memories of the vintage posters my now retired dentist used to have in his waiting room.

I'm particularly taken by the swing sequence shots of Hogan. For the man reputed to have the greatest swing of all time, it sure looks a lot different than the sorts of cookie cutter textbook swings we see in present day pros.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I started my collecting with autographed baseball photos many years ago, collecting scarce, historical photos of Hall Of Famers -Cobb, Shoeless Joe, Babe, Lou, etc, etc, etc.

Next phase was 16X20 autographed stars from the 50s-current - Mantle, Williams, DiMaggio, Brett, Musial, Mays, etc, etc etc. most of these now cover the walls of my baseball playing grand sons bedrooms.. One of my photos is a 1949 photo of Stan-The-Man, taken at Houston's Buffalo Stadium. It was an exhibition game against the Cardinals Houston farm team. What is unique is that it is a full view of Stan, the catcher, and umpire exactly at the point of impact with a letter high pitch! I found it in a now deceased Houston photographer's archive files one day. He sold me a 16X20copy(my favorite size). When I paid to have Mr Musial sign it at a memorabilia show, both The Man and his manager wanted to know where the photo came from, as they had never seen it before. Made my day!

My son is a golf professional, so over the years we have collected 16X20 autographed golf photos. My son started that phase off when he was a junior player, getting an autographed copy of Hogan's 1-iron photo as a pride for playing in Mr Hogan's sponsored junior tournament one year.

From there, we have acquired autoed 16X20 Arnie, Nelson, Snead, Sarazen, Hogan, Mickelson, and several Nicklaus swings + the putter in the air 17th hole Masters photo, etc, etc.

The most recent has a story with it. Being an avid photographer, I noticed a 4X5 press photo on eBay, of a teenaged Jack Nicklaus, right at the point of impact with a persimmon driver. I knew that practically all 4X5 pressers were likely taken with a large format 4X5 negative camera, meaning that it was a high quality photo.

I won it, and when I got it, had it scanned and blown up 4X to 16X20. It came out great.

Next, hoping for good luck, I emailed Jack Nickaus' office in Palm Beach, asking if Mr. Nicklaus accepted autograph requests, telling them what I had. The same day, I received a very cordial email reply from his secretary, indicating that if I mailed the photo to her, with return packaging and postage, she would have him sign it. She cautioned that it might take some time, as he has a busy schedule. I also offered my high resolution scan of the photo for their files.

I mailed everything off.

I was shocked when in less than a week it came back beautifully signed!

So, I have a one-of-a-kind auto photo of the great man!

Only problem with this hobby, I don't have enough walls any more to hang everything, so I'm giving stuff away to kids and grand kids to enjoy. its all theirs in the future anyway.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Blade Junkie - you don't work for an aquarium, do you?

I was at a client in Redwood City, CA where there were some amateur photos on the wall - a couple from a course in CO that reminded me of AZ. It was a nice conversation starter.

My walls don't have golf... Yet. I do have a Barry Goldwater campaign poster, but even better is a painting by my mother of the tree tunnel heading towards Poipu in Kauai. I mention it because it contains memories of Kukuiolono golf course where I played probably the majority of games before 2013.

I have a lithographed copy of the painting of Jack Nicklaus on the par 3 at Pebble. A neighbor of mine gave it to me some years ago and he does not play golf or know anything about the game. He came over one day and asked if I wanted it that someone had told him it was a famous golfer. I have quite a few nick nacks in the house including a Beringer wine display that looks like a golf bag. Also have quite a few of the old mans hole in one trophies. have a lot of sinage in my small shop. One day we hope to get a larger house or a larger shop where I can display some of my bags including 2 Ryder cup bags and one of John Daly's Wilson Firestick bags

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

From a die hard Cardnial fan here Tex. Stan, one of the all timers. I have a ball signed by him. One of my greatest treasures.
As for Golf Art, a few things up, but my favorite a signed glove and cap by Rory during a practice round at Kiawah.
My sons were following him on a Tuesday before the PGA. For a breuf stretch it was just my boys, Rory, his dad and caddy. He stopped and genuinely chatted with them for a few holes. Then signed a glove and hat. Have them in a Shadowbox along with other items from the tourney.
A side note: The hat is one from the Masters he blew. Now, that's a class guy in my book. They said he even laughed about it.

[quote name='Swashbuckler' timestamp='1427419053' post='11224363']
I have the pin flag and ball from my hole in one and this...
[/quote]That is just absolutely fabulous and cool!! I like stuff like that

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1427406345' post='11222963']
From a die hard Cardnial fan here Tex. Stan, one of the all timers. I have a ball signed by him. One of my greatest treasures.
As for Golf Art, a few things up, but my favorite a signed glove and cap by Rory during a practice round at Kiawah.
My sons were following him on a Tuesday before the PGA. For a breuf stretch it was just my boys, Rory, his dad and caddy. He stopped and genuinely chatted with them for a few holes. Then signed a glove and hat. Have them in a Shadowbox along with other items from the tourney.
A side note: The hat is one from the Masters he blew. Now, that's a class guy in my book. They said he even laughed about it.
[/quote]

When I got Stan's autograph on my photo, it was at a sports memorabilia show in Houston.

An all-time memory - Stan came out in a Cardinal red plaid jacket. He walked up to the table and held his hands up for silence. He said, "fans, before we do this, something else comes first".

He pulled his harmonica out of his jacket and proceeded to rip off "Take Me Out To The Ball Game". The crowd went wild!

He was a great guy with kids, tossing signed balls to them and volunteering for photos, even if the kids hadn't paid.

Ive been to a lot of these shows and seen a lot of famous players. The only other 2 who come close with kids are Cal Ripkin, Jr and Craig Biggio.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1427541013' post='11233307']
[quote name='Swashbuckler' timestamp='1427419053' post='11224363']
I have the pin flag and ball from my hole in one and this...
[/quote]That is just absolutely fabulous and cool!! I like stuff like that
[/quote]

Thanks man. My wife got this for me. They have so many top course architectural looking maps like this one. They are timeless.

As far as office golf art, I have the same picture of Hogan at Merion after striking the 1 iron. It was a Christmas gift this year from my wife. How cool is that?

But that's the only golf art I have in my office...unless you count the 3 sets of vintage golf clubs!

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

• 1 month later...

I always enjoy looking at stuff like this. Sometimes you get a glimpse of what's inside a person by what they hang on their wall - what they enjoy looking at, what's important to them. Thanks so much for posting what's on your wall.

About 12 years ago I dropped off an old black-and-white photo of my favorite golfer with my wife's uncle in Abilene, Texas. He was my favorite golfer for several reasons - where he was from, his faith, his reason for playing professional golf (to buy a ranch), and almost countless achievements and records that you're familiar with. This golfer's brother, Charles, just happened to live next door to my wife's uncle. So I dropped of my old photo there one time and asked her uncle to see if he could get an autograph sometime when the golfer was visiting his brother. No big deal, I really didn't have much hope that he would catch him.

Two weeks later, my wife received a phone call from her uncle saying that not only did his neighbor get an autograph, but the golfer also sent a couple of books for me. Wow, that was nice, I thought. The pro must have mailed the books back to his brother after he got home. So on our next visit I stopped in to pick up my photo. Now remember, I had just asked for an autograph on an old photo. Yes, he autographed it, but he personalized it with my name. Which means he had to ask his brother to whom this was going, and his brother had to ask his neighbor. My name is not unusual, but is spelled a little differently, and has been spelled countless ways by others in my 50+ years, almost always incorrectly. But not this time.

I apologize for rambling. Long story short - I had admired him for his achievements. I ended up admiring him for the person he was.

I don't have a pic at the moment, but a few years back, my friend's wife found me an autographed pic of Greg Norman, signed "Attack Life Jim!", which just so happens to be my name. One of the coolest gifts ever! Also have a Greg Norman stamp and a cool poster of David Duval. Also have a few of those railroad spike golfer sculptures...

10.5* TI Cally Rogue ST TD S GD AD DI-6(x)
15* TI Cally Epic Speed GD AD IZ-7(x)

18* TI Cally Rogue ST  Matrix Code-7 (s) or 8M2 (x)

24* Cally 2014 Apex UT Matrix Altus (s)
5-PW Cally Apex Pro 19 Double Dot Raw Matte Black Nippon Modus 105 (s)

50* Cleveland RTX Black Matte Black Nippon Modus 105 (s)
54*/10 Cleveland RTX Tour Rack TI DG Spinner
58*/9 Cleveland RTX Full Face Tour Rack TI DG Spinner
34" Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 * 35" Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

35"Odyssey O-Works V-Line Fang CH * 35" Odyssey Works 7 CH (Schauffele treatment by Continental Golf)

[attachment=2753180:IMG_1892.JPG][attachment=2753182:IMG_1893.JPG][attachment=2753184:IMG_1894.JPG]Here are a few of the things hanging in my den/library.First is a poster from the 1989 Players,featuring the10 previous winners.Next to each of their portraits are the signatures of Nicklaus,Trevino,Floyd,Couples,McCumber,Mahaffey,Peete,Pate and Lanny Wadkins.Also signed by Tom Kite and Deane Beman.Second is a framed poster from the 2013 PGA Oak Hill.
Third is a photo I took of Greg Norman on the third tee at Canadian Open Glen Abbey1984Then I had it enlarged and signed by the Shark. Lots of good memories...

Blade junkie- that Hogan stuff is awesome.

On my wall....
Hogan 1-iron poster framed
2009 Presidents Cup poster signed by the entire US team
Davis Love III signed rainbow photo from the PGA win
Signed 1964 program to a sports club - signed by Ben Hogan

Pics coming at some point.

Keep this thread going.

Titleist CB irons 3-PW
Vokey Wedges
Odyssey putter

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some of what I have...I lean toward the hickory era and had all of these long before I started playing hickory.

For those who might wonder, picture 2 is Freddie Tait, twice winner of the British Amatuer and picture 4 is John Ball, 8 times a winner of the British amateur and 1 Open win.

Forgive the walls...we are testing some paint to cover the ugly green our tenant has painted. I need to do a better job of framing a couple of them as well, but custom frame are more than I feel like investing for my office.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.