2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Played yesterday an shot 81. Felt like I hit the ball better then the score. I have been doing that in the last couple of rounds. Went to Clifton at 5:30 and teed off with the son. I had 16 pars, 1 birdie and a double for a one over round. Hit the ball at the target all day except on #5 where I got a little cocky made a double. Birdied the next hole and then all pars. Really liking the Apex irons after I did a little loft corrections.

What kind of corrections?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Yeah, Fitzpatrick is one of those guys you just knew at some point he would mature and be hard to beat.

He's fun to watch, at least I think so. Natural swing, solid putter, and looks like he's having fun out there. Makes things look easy.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

OC with Eagle, MTN, Terp

Great day, great weather, great group.

Started off meeting Eagle early to give him a putter I worked on, then headed down to the range. Eagle made the rookie mistake of stating he had found something good in his swing. He was hitting it beautifully, then it was gone. Really great guy to play / ride with. Game wasn't his best, but it was also the first time at OC and as he described, it is a difficult course.

Matt n Pat played their match and it was less than ideal for 1 party. Matt played a heck of a front 9 hitting a bunch of fairways and greens. Pat got mad, like I haven't seen him mad, mad. It didn't help his game until everything cooled down and he played some good golf at the end. Matt's front didn't carry over to the back which he self diagnosed due when he started drinking.

I thought I was going to have a morning round repeat. Slapped the ball around on the front +6. 2 over through 16 on the back, then proceeded to double the last two. Awesome.

Matt and I played Ramesh and Pat in a Nassau. We took the front and overall, were 2 up through 16 on the back portion, but ended up losing 17-18 to push the back.

Great day of golf with two great groups.

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

OC with Eagle, MTN, Terp

Great day, great weather, great group.

Started off meeting Eagle early to give him a putter I worked on, then headed down to the range. Eagle made the rookie mistake of stating he had found something good in his swing. He was hitting it beautifully, then it was gone. Really great guy to play / ride with. Game wasn't his best, but it was also the first time at OC and as he described, it is a difficult course.

Matt n Pat played their match and it was less than ideal for 1 party. Matt played a heck of a front 9 hitting a bunch of fairways and greens. Pat got mad, like I haven't seen him mad, mad. It didn't help his game until everything cooled down and he played some good golf at the end. Matt's front didn't carry over to the back which he self diagnosed due when he started drinking.

I thought I was going to have a morning round repeat. Slapped the ball around on the front +6. 2 over through 16 on the back, then proceeded to double the last two. Awesome.

Matt and I played Ramesh and Pat in a Nassau. We took the front and overall, were 2 up through 16 on the back portion, but ended up losing 17-18 to push the back.

Great day of golf with two great groups.

One hilarious moment of my match with Pat...

Par 5 on the front. I'm about 18 inches from the hole and Pat makes me putt it. I am kind of annoyed, rush it, and the ball circles the hole and lips out. Next putt I one hand and it circles the hole, lips out, then drops in.

Eagle to Pat: "So did you win or halve?"

Pat: "Oh, I lost."

Eagle: "But he missed the putt."

Pat: "Yeah, he would have had to three putt from 18 inches to lose the hole."

Eagle: "And you still made him putt it. What a d!ck."

Played yesterday an shot 81. Felt like I hit the ball better then the score. I have been doing that in the last couple of rounds. Went to Clifton at 5:30 and teed off with the son. I had 16 pars, 1 birdie and a double for a one over round. Hit the ball at the target all day except on #5 where I got a little cocky made a double. Birdied the next hole and then all pars. Really liking the Apex irons after I did a little loft corrections.

I adjusted the lofts to separate the distances between the irons. The wedge(120), 9(135), 8(145) were a little weak the 7(155), 6(165), 5(175) irons were perfect. So I adjust to the distances shown.

I adjusted the lofts to separate the distances between the irons. The wedge(120), 9(135), 8(145) were a little weak the 7(155), 6(165), 5(175) irons were perfect. So I adjust to the distances shown.

Cool, so you made the lower irons stronger.. They match my old IEs except for 1 degree strong from PW to 7 iron then they get nuked out 6 to 4. However, it is opening up a slot for a 5 wood.

It will take time to adjust that and Im switching to 110 recoils all the way down to my new MD3s 54/58. Excited for that and my new driver coming next week.

Only thing left is too build a 5 wood and possibly a new 3 wood.

protos F4

I played #8 differently this time. I played it short of the big fairway trap and hit two 150 yard shots. 8 iron then 7 iron. I kind of shoved my tee shot right, and a better placed one would have been 120-130 in instead of 150. Ended up missing the green right and making bogie, but I'm not yet convinced it isn't a good play on that hole. It's absolutely a tougher 2nd shot, but it's absolutely a way way easier tee shot that takes everything out of play. No one but me is wussy enough to hit it down there, so the fairway is pristine. Versus hitting a perfect shot to the upper tier and ending up in a divot due to the tiny landing area.

Par 5 on the front. I'm about 18 inches from the hole and Pat makes me putt it. I am kind of annoyed, rush it, and the ball circles the hole and lips out. Next putt I one hand and it circles the hole, lips out, then drops in.

Down 5 after 6, lost 8&7. I needed to pull every dick move out of the book.

Needless to say, golf game isn't in the best spot right now. Isn't in any spot right now. Sorry I acted like I dick Saturday.

Needless to say, golf game isn't in the best spot right now. Isn't in any spot right now. Sorry I acted like I dick Saturday.

We playing our match this week?

protos F4

Nah.

T-I-T: No need to apologize. We've all been where you were. Hell, I was there just last week at WM. Try to remember the good shots (like that tee shot on 18) and just forget the rest (ever shot after that 18 tee shot). Easier said than done, I know.

Not a very good day for me either. Thought I found something at the end of my match with GregH at blue mash... Was hitting it decent on the range... And then reality set in. Pretty awful. Short game salvaged an 86 that could have been another easy 91. And that's all I have to say about that.

Saw some very good golf from MTN and DT. They rolled us on the front and total and we scratched out a 1/2 fighting to the bitter end.

The course requires a ton of local knowledge. DT tried to tell me where to hit it, and why... I just couldn't see the line or the danger and pretty much sucked. Every holes feels incredibly isolated, you're basically playing through a chute of trees on every shot. Claustrophobic sometimes, as you can't find it if its in the woods.

All that said, I liked the course and would like to go back and see if I can unravel some of its mysteries.

Thanks to DT, Mtn and T-I-T, had a great time. Let's do it again sometime soon boys.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Nah.

You think a week is going to help...

I shot a 94 last round..

protos F4

T-I-T: No need to apologize. We've all been where you were. Hell, I was there just last week at WM. Try to remember the good shots (like that tee shot on 18) and just forget the rest (ever shot after that 18 tee shot). Easier said than done, I know.

Not a very good day for me either. Thought I found something at the end of my match with GregH at blue mash... Was hitting it decent on the range... And then reality set in. Pretty awful. Short game salvaged an 86 that could have been another easy 91. And that's all I have to say about that.

Saw some very good golf from MTN and DT. They rolled us on the front and total and we scratched out a 1/2 fighting to the bitter end.

The course requires a ton of local knowledge. DT tried to tell me where to hit it, and why... I just couldn't see the line or the danger and pretty much sucked. Every holes feels incredibly isolated, you're basically playing through a chute of trees on every shot. Claustrophobic sometimes, as you can't find it if its in the woods.

All that said, I liked the course and would like to go back and see if I can unravel some of its mysteries.

Thanks to DT, Mtn and T-I-T, had a great time. Let's do it again sometime soon boys.

You're short game overall was excellent.

I tried complimenting eagle on his shot / short game on 10. He has incredibly dead hands / swing with anything inside 40-50 yds. I love it and wish I had the feel for it. I told him this and his reply "I have no idea what you are talking about, but I will take it as a compliment, thanks."

MTN best shot: the front 9. Also #13 par 3. Hit a ball well out to the left, bounces down the slope and rolls about 1.5 ft from the hole.

Eagle best shot: short game. Also followed MTN's route and it rolled about 6ft right of the pin. Two birds.

Pat best shot: that one time he made par. Once the match was over, bully Pat came out and it was awesome. He was dishing out the verbal abuse pretty heavy. Excellent.

DT: Out of the hole off the tee box. Drop with Eagle at 250 on the 1st par 5. Hit a great 5w onto the green which is a water carry the last half of the shot. Eagle continually tells me how good the shot was, over and over. It was nice, but not great. Then I realized what was happening. I told him, "thanks man, but it wasn't even close to that one time at Blue Mash." Pat, "Are we still talking about that?"

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

City- MTN wanted me to tell you that he putted well.

He really did putt well, for reals.

every part of mtn's game is solid every round.

MTN and MTH together at Compass Pointe next Saturday rollin' ev'ry suckafool fool enough to bare his Word not allowed. Dcgt. 5/11. Be there. Turn up.

"The Mountain and the Myth" on and bopping. The minstrels will write songs about the round we're going to put up.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Just checked my notifications and I had over 400 lol. You guys are post whores! I mean that nicely of course.

Just got back from a weekend at Penn State, got to play the new redesigned Blue Course. Much longer course than when I did my degrees there. A full on 7200+ from the tips. The 4 par 3s where 219, 215, 202, and 182. Two par 5s were 570+ and 630 yards. After a double on 7 to go 5 over on the day I played 1 under the rest of the way for a 76.

For the forum, I walked into a bunch of midsize grips... GP New Decade Red/Black 10 of them, I pulled them off, they are in great shape, I cleaned out the insides. Out of the whole set, it looked like only 2-3 clubs were hit. GP New Decade Blue/Black 2, same story, great shape. GP MC+4 gray 2. Same thing. Midsize are too big for my fat fingers. Say $50 bucks for the set of the red ones, beer for the others?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqsf8r0w9yd4mhe/20160605_211605.jpg?dl=0

WITB Currently
Titleist TSR2 10*

Callaway Paradym 16.5*

Titleist TSi1 20*

Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Irons - Srixon ZX7 5-PW

Cleveland RTX6 56*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II Centershaft/Ping Tyne C

Mizuno K1-L0

Fourball match today. 2 up after 3, 2 down after 12, won 2 up. Had a small gallery following us. Was kind of cool actually. Made some great pars to win holes. Hit terrible shots to lose holes. Mood was light the entire match, but it was intense. Really fun.

Worst was #8. Par 5, smashed a drive to the 200 yard tombstone. Wiped a 4 iron out of bounds. Smashed 4 iron into the ground. Dropped, hit second 4 iron to 15 feet made par.

Best was dropping a 6 foot par putt on 14 to get the match back to AS

Just got back from Myrtle Beach so here’s the semi-quick recap:

Played Grand Dunes, MBN- King’s North, Thistle and Barefoot - Love Course. Couldn’t get onto Caledonia/True Blue since they ran out of morning tee times yesterday. Had a good time at every course, which were all different but suited to my style of play (i.e., few tight, tree/house-lined fairways). Had first tee time each day.

Grand Dunes: Good start following a heavy rain the night before but they let us drive carts on the course. Played with a family of three, daughter on a college team. Picked up a couple of birdies on the front side but also a triple and plenty of bogeys/doubles on the backside to post an 86. Daughter has a good swing but starts missing early in the round which leads to her swearing like a sailor, followed by some club slamming. She later apologizes to me for her behavior. Overall, the course was in good condition but the greens were a bit uneven speed-wise; if not for my chipping and getting some good reads on the greens, I’m probably an easy 5-6 strokes higher. We seemingly race around the front half of the course but end up finishing in around 4:45. Phew.

Highlight of the day: hitting a 70-foot putt on the 8th for birdie.

Unusual sighting of the day: Black squirrels. Never seen ‘em before.

View of the day: 14th green overlooking the Intercoastal Waterway. Someone’s building a house up there that I’m totally envious of.

King’s North: Rougher start since we being on ten, a par 5. Also had little warmup since they had a tourney going on. Played with two other singles. A seesaw round between pars on bogeys/doubles. One of the guys is Canadian with the thickest accent I’ve ever heard from north of the border. We have a good round, though, shooting the s*** the whole time while sweating our asses off. I like the layout of the course but the greens are in terrible shape, burned out. That combined with a couple of tricky pins lead to a couple of three jacks (chipping again helps get me a number of one putts). We blaze around the front, being pushed the entire time by a twosome but things get a lot slower on the back and we finish in 4:10.

Highlight of the day: Nearly grabbed my first hole-in-one ever on the Par 3 eighth. I hit a seemingly perfect shot about 18 inches over the flag. The three of us stand, mouthes open, as the ball starts to roll back—over the right edge of the hole.

Unusual sighting of the day: One of the guys hits goes for the island fairway on the Par 5 6th (“The Gambler”). Slices the ball dead towards the water, hits the connecting bridge and ends up dead center of the fairway.

View of the day: Toss-up between the sixth hole and the Par 3 12th (the Island Green).

Thistle (McKay/Cameron): I drive up just as they’re opening the gate. I grab a sandwich and throw it in the cart, and hit the range, with only a couple of poor shots. I feel pretty good despite this being the first time I’ve played three straight days before. I’m paired up with two guys (older guy and his son-in-law). I start with four straight pars, followed by a bogey, birdie, two more pars and a bogey for a 1-over on the front side. Best nine holes ever. Then, depression sets in. No, as has been the case on the first two days, we blaze around the front side in about 90 minutes, maybe less, but that means we have to wait since they are sending groups off both sides. We grab some drinks, snacks, hit the head, etc. and then go off the back side. Six bogies and a double later, I’m nine over and missing my first time breaking 80, my swing was just lost. We finish right at four hours. Great course, great condition. Putts role true. Service is good although you can tell it’s gonna get really busy in the afternoon when we’re done with all the people showing up and those on the range. Best breakfast sandwich of the trip. I highly recommend it.

Highlight of the day: Going 1-over on the front side. Everything just felt good, even the misses. The swing was flowing.

Unusual sighting of the day: a gator alongside the 8th tee box (in the water, of course). Wish I coulda got a pic but it was straight into the sun.

View of the day: Edith, the cart girl. Okay, probably the Par 3 13th (Cameron 4th). Really, though, I could pick a lot of holes. It was just a nice course and a nice day even though the humidity got up during the back nine.

Barefoot: Calamity from the git-go. I’m paired up with another Rich but they hold us since there is another twosome fifteen minutes after us and they want us to go together so that we’re not playing too fast; however, they won’t let us head to range to get loose because maybe, just maybe, the other two won’t show up and they’ll let us go. So, our two guys show (with a third Rich) but they let a foursome in front of us. WTF! So, we’re waiting the entire round as they are some slow mofos (three playing from the tips—poorly—the fourth is a women who hits it mostly straight but a bit short). You’d think they had bets on every hole. This is compounded on the back nine when we catch up to the groups that teed off on the front (we started on ten). I liked the course and layout. There are some houses but they don’t intrude. I probably should’ve played the blues. The day is up and down again but that’s partly because of no warmup and playing for the fourth day in a row. The lack of sleep and humidity were starting to get to me; however, I did get about 20 putts in before the round which really helped keep my score down as the greens were a tad faster than the first two days. Service was spotty (no one was around to unload my bag when I drove up and then there was the whole start time debacle) and the club monkeys were trying to scrub my already clean clubs. My playing partners made up for the poor parts. Had a great grilled cheese dog at the end of the round in the clubhouse. Tree cover on the course (plus a nice breeze) keeps the temps down for many of the holes, a plus. We finish in a rousing 4:35…off to the PGA Superstore.

Highlight of the day: Birdie on the Par 4 6th. What looks like a routine tee shot, ends up in light rough near the water’s edge. I then lace the PW to about two feet.

Unusual sighting of the day: Ducks waddling across the tee box. Hey, if they’re not in a hurry, why should we be?

View of the day: Dani, the cart girl. No, really. As for the course, it’s probably the Par 4 4th.

Scores were pretty consistent throughout the week, except for the 81. Still need more consistency across the board since I’m not placing my shots where I want, just getting away with the misses. Good news: my wedges no longer seem to be a real problem. Bad news: I haven’t been able to get my driver/3w going so I’m having the scramble a lot. Will keep working/playing, though. Just glad Mrs. OB let me have the week to play.

Need to figure out where I’m playing next. Dubs crushing the LeBrons. Good times!

GBB Epic 9.0*
Srixon 17*
Taylormade M1 19*
Srixon U65 20*, 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*
Taylormade Tour Spider