MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

If I told you to pull driver on 10, what would your aim line be, city?

Right rough, next to cart path. And if I put a YARD of draw on that ball, it's in the water hazard left side.

Too far left. This is from the tips. You legit have to aim at least at the path where it sort of bumps in ~75-100 yards from the tee. If your aim point is left of that OR you carry it more than like 250, you're heading for a landing in the left side of the fairway or worse. It'd be fun to get out there one evening with nobody behind us, and just bang drivers off that tee until you find a good line. You're pretty reliable at hitting a draw, so you can aim out right and move it back towards the fairway. It's probably still better for you to hit a 3 iron or whatever, but I just love hitting driver on that hole. Save for the Capitol Cup when I was just generally hitting the ball like a turd, I kill it on 10. I take driver and aim down the path every time.

IMO, that line is crazy even for you. You hit a pretty reliable straight ball or slight draw, but IIRC your miss is a push not a hook. With that line, a minor 10-20 yard push is going to leave you in trouble and chipping it laterally back in to the fairway. It just seems like a ton of risk.

I've been smashing it on that hole like a boss, Sully. Respek the driving game.

So I hit the Fly-Z 230-240 all day yesterday. Meaning the driver experiment failed and it's just my swing that stinks. Same results with 3 different clubs now.

One thing I noticed yesterday, or re-remembered, was ball position. Not forward/backward, but in relation to the heel and toe of the club. I noticed City teeing it up more toward the toe, but I'm teeing it up dead center on the center of the face. And I was hitting it on the heel side all day. My bad swing is an out to in one, so that's to blame, but I wonder about the ball position contributes. If you sole the club and have the ball teed higher, if you raise the club to the level of the ball it's toward the heel more, right?

What are the rest of you doing on that? I'm just trying to figure out reasons why my driver is so much worse than everything else. Haven't hit a "great" drive in weeks, but I'm now regularly hitting really good shots with everything else including fairway woods. I know it's a tougher club, but I have no results with it instead of just reduced results with it.

FWIW

Per Drive 4 Dough, Monte wants us "reaching" a bit for the ball when setting up driver.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

So I hit the Fly-Z 230-240 all day yesterday. Meaning the driver experiment failed and it's just my swing that stinks. Same results with 3 different clubs now.

One thing I noticed yesterday, or re-remembered, was ball position. Not forward/backward, but in relation to the heel and toe of the club. I noticed City teeing it up more toward the toe, but I'm teeing it up dead center on the center of the face. And I was hitting it on the heel side all day. My bad swing is an out to in one, so that's to blame, but I wonder about the ball position contributes. If you sole the club and have the ball teed higher, if you raise the club to the level of the ball it's toward the heel more, right?

What are the rest of you doing on that? I'm just trying to figure out reasons why my driver is so much worse than everything else. Haven't hit a "great" drive in weeks, but I'm now regularly hitting really good shots with everything else including fairway woods. I know it's a tougher club, but I have no results with it instead of just reduced results with it.

Drive up to Golfsmith Saturday and talk to a Callaway rep ;)

Have you sprayed the face with foot powder to see impact? Then go from there...implementing whatever Monte taught you. Takes time for adjustments to swings to take or have a...oh that's what he was talking about feeling.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

HOW TO PROPERLY DO THE OCGOLFRICK STANCE- LESSON 1 "The Thought Process"

"Ugh, Eagle wants to do a group photo in this bar. Fine. Don't wanna show anybody up here, now that C.Free is gone you're definetely packing more than anybody here. Where'd that cute little blonde thing go? Oh, there she is peeking in through the door." (Wink, nod head, smile seductively. Cute blonde giggles, goes back behind door, never to be seen the rest of the evening. Probably needed to dry out her panties.) "Still got it. OK, lets get in line here, (Bumps into Endless)

Ok, maybe they'll focus on his height vs what I've got downstairs here. (Feel bump on otherside, its, Nerf.) This'll help too, the belly will distract attention away from the bulge in my pants. Wonder if Nerf's seen his in a while? Anyway, getting a little squished here, lets widen my legs, let the ol equipment get some air. Ahhhh. That's better. All right, lets get that left hand over first, then'll will cross over here with the right, and... perfect. That'll let me get a nice scrotum scratch going. Cover up the equipment here, don't wanna make these guys feel insecure. Take a good stance here, feel the earth beneath me. I am the captain of my equipment, the master of my domain."

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Have you sprayed the face with foot powder to see impact? Then go from there...implementing whatever Monte taught you. Takes time for adjustments to swings to take or have a...oh that's what he was talking about feeling.

No spray, but I can see most of my marks from yesterday. Pic below. A bit hard to see, but there's a good concentration of them in the green circle. There's also one you can see more toward the toe, but it's just one.

No spray, but I can see most of my marks from yesterday. Pic below. A bit hard to see, but there's a good concentration of them in the green circle. There's also one you can see more toward the toe, but it's just one.

Try reaching for the ball a little more as chief said...per monte.

protos F4

this is the trackman face impact chart i've seen published on golfwrx several times. your impact position tendency is basically the worst on the face. the one "miss" on the toe is actually much closer to ideal (in terms of ball speed anyway).

post-100881-0-68425700-1403009901.jpg

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Keep experimenting, sometimes its a day to day thing.

But if you keep hitting the heel with good swings, it is possible that your driver needs to be cut down.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Not to confuse things, because I have no idea what the Monte instruction entails, but if you reach more or stand further back from the ball, however you want to think about it, make sure that your weight is still back on the heels (or at least centered) so that you're not falling forward. If your weight is too far to your toes, you'll either be falling forward toward the ball, resulting in heel shots, or if you try to compensate, falling either further back, resulting in toe shots. I was suffering from the former, where I stood further back to correct one thing, but then with my weight on my toes, ended up making things worse by shifting toward the ball while swinging and developing the sh*nks. Not sure if that will apply to you, but thought I'd mention it.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

this is the trackman face impact chart i've seen published on golfwrx several times. you're impact position tendency is basically the worst on the face. the one "miss" on the toe is actually much closer to ideal.

post-100881-0-68425700-1403009901.jpg

Yeah buddy....Buddha told me that and I was like really?

protos F4

Not to confuse things, because I have no idea what the Monte instruction entails, but if you reach more or stand further back from the ball, however you want to think about it, make sure that your weight is still back on the heels (or at least centered) so that you're not falling forward. If your weight is too far to your toes, you'll either be falling forward toward the ball, resulting in heel shots, or if you try to compensate, falling either further back, resulting in toe shots. I was suffering from the former, where I stood further back to correct one thing, but then with my weight on my toes, ended up making things worse by shifting toward the ball while swinging and developing the sh*nks. Not sure if that will apply to you, but thought I'd mention it.

Exactly. A slight reach is alright as long as you're balanced. However, I used to reach out with the arms because it felt stable and powerful but I would actually end up coming over the top of way too far inside. When I came OTT I would have to do dumb stuff with the hands to save impact.

Also, if you push it a hair right on that line, or fade it, you're looking for a ball where there is woods, trees, long grass, bare spots, and you probably bounced off a tree with NO IDEA where to start looking for that ball distance wise, or left-right.

I'm with El City on this one. The first time I played Hobbits I hit 4 iron/8 iron to a front pin. Made par. I think in the summer that would definitely be my play. (Cap Cup was so wet - had to pull a bit more club) I think summer conditions 3/4 iron is the right play. That said, I've seen both Fabb and Domes hit awesome drives down the middle and it really didn't seem to be an issue for them. My driver would be in play about 1 out of 13 on that hole.

Edit: Also think that it will be interesting to see how strategy moves as The Hobbits continue to play the hole over the course of the summer.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

Fabb, IMH(umble)O, that line on 10 is a bad line even for masters of driving the golf ball. It narrows for a bit and there's a hard slope going to the hazard on the left. I swear City's second 4w yesterday hit right side of fairway at the 150 mark and ended up in the hazard left. There is no other explanation. There were some squirrels out there.... The punishment for a mishit on that line is AT LEAST one stroke, probably closer to 2 because a miss right is a lost ball (re-tee hitting 3); left is a lateral hazard, but with a drop likely to have tree problems on the 3rd shot (now your hitting your 4th from somewhere well short of the green. With a 3 iron even the worst shot (barring a shank or duff) will never incur a penalty stroke, and from 140-165 (depending on blue vs black tees, firmness, etc...) a bogey is the worst score that'll go down on the card (excepting a collapse).

I think it's a good hole. Can get a look at birdie, but it can lead to a quick big number if you get greedy. I am all about conservative play moving forward. If I were better at golf, I'd be aggressive a lot more. City will be so disappoint with my conservative play talk, but it works.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

Fabb, IMH(umble)O, that line on 10 is a bad line even for masters of driving the golf ball. It narrows for a bit and there's a hard slope going to the hazard on the left. I swear City's second 4w yesterday hit right side of fairway at the 150 mark and ended up in the hazard left. There is no other explanation. There were some squirrels out there.... The punishment for a mishit on that line is AT LEAST one stroke, probably closer to 2 because a miss right is a lost ball (re-tee hitting 3); left is a lateral hazard, but with a drop likely to have tree problems on the 3rd shot (now your hitting your 4th from somewhere well short of the green. With a 3 iron even the worst shot (barring a shank or duff) will never incur a penalty stroke, and from 140-165 (depending on blue vs black tees, firmness, etc...) a bogey is the worst score that'll go down on the card (excepting a collapse).

I think it's a good hole. Can get a look at birdie, but it can lead to a quick big number if you get greedy. I am all about conservative play moving forward. If I were better at golf, I'd be aggressive a lot more. City will be so disappoint with my conservative play talk, but it works.

HAHA - oh you of lil faith - i believe there are plenty of ways to make 6 and higher from the middle of that fairway

But for that hole - 3 iron is the play. What is interesting - ive seen people have no trouble playing safe and short on 2 and 7 with irons off of the tee and those are par 5's while some will not hit anything but a wood on 10 when a 3 iron will leave you a middle iron

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

Monte himself has great posture and weight distribution. Pause the trailer at 10 secs and you can see slight reach with the arms, but his weight is back on the heels (butt back behind his heel line).

Toulon Palm Beach

Played Punta Blanca again this morning. First group out again as well and finished in 2:45.

Hit the ball better all around, made less putts. 1 birdie on 18 to post 78.

Course from the blues is 6700 yards, but it is crazy wide open. Like it makes you feel like a better golfer than you are wide open. I'll upload rounds to the Grint when I get some down time.

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Sully - where do you tee the ball?

dinosaur looking guy with the short arms says you should put the equator of the ball at the top of the driver face

That's what I am for when I tee it up. That's what I'm getting at with the question about where it's line up on the face in regards to heel vs toe vs center. If you put the ball halfway above the club and in the center of the face, then lift the club to be level with the ball, it's moved toward the heel of the club.

Sully - where do you tee the ball?

dinosaur looking guy with the short arms says you should put the equator of the ball at the top of the driver face

That's what I am for when I tee it up. That's what I'm getting at with the question about where it's line up on the face in regards to heel vs toe vs center. If you put the ball halfway above the club and in the center of the face, then lift the club to be level with the ball, it's moved toward the heel of the club.

any chance your just getting excited and looking up for the ball early and thus pulling the club up a lil?

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

Monte himself has great posture and weight distribution. Pause the trailer at 10 secs and you can see slight reach with the arms, but his weight is back on the heels (butt back behind his heel line).

And this is me working on moving the weight back while reaching (left), compared to the leaning over and reaching (right), leading to the you-know-whats.

Toulon Palm Beach

I noticed this as well. I think he actually speaks about it. But I thought I remembered seeing some Boditrak information of tour players showing an even weight distribution between both feet and more weight over the balls of their feet. I'll try and find it. I think it was here on WRX somewhere...

I appreciate the responses and discussion, so I'm not intending for this to sound as jerky as it actually does, but only jkc actually answered my question. I'm interested in what you guys are doing when you tee it up, not what you think I'm doing wrong :).

Fair enough, that was definitely tangential. I ground the driver, ball slightly above the center toward the toe. Tee height is about ball equator in line with the top of the driver. I do that because 1) my eyes see that as the center of the face and 2) I do have the tendency to miss on the heel (or used to) as mentioned above. Even on putts, what I see as center face is actually a touch toward the toe, and I bring it back to the middle or even heel during the swing anyway.

Toulon Palm Beach

I appreciate the responses and discussion, so I'm not intending for this to sound as jerky as it actually does, but only jkc actually answered my question. I'm interested in what you guys are doing when you tee it up, not what you think I'm doing wrong :).

Additionally, for now, I try and keep the weight on the balls of my feet/under the laces of my shoes. Hanging back on my heels and going over my toes have both definitely caused issues with the rest of my swing mechanics. But not to say it doesn't work for others...

And this is me working on moving the weight back while reaching (left), compared to the leaning over and reaching (right), leading to the you-know-whats.

That's the exact thing I'm working on with general setup right now. Not necessarily to get myself to "reach", but to get myself to not be so bent over and stand more upright. Outside of my gut and pale skin, your two images could be a before and after of me doing it wrong vs right.